PDA

View Full Version : Question for people who have tried no shampoo method

qijino1236
July 28th, 2012, 06:06 AM
I have some question for experienced users of the no shampoo method.

For those that do no 'poo is it okay to at least do a clarifying shampoo once in a while or does that defeat the purpose?

I was thinking of doing no 'poo but I heard not to use olive oil if doing no 'poo. Have you tried no 'poo? Should you or should you or not use olive oil when trying no 'poo

DarkCurls
July 28th, 2012, 06:10 AM
There are many no-shampoo methods. Are you talking water-only, conditioner-only, or baking soda and ACV, or something else? :p

I've tried water-only (WO) and conditioner-only (CO), and I'm sure you can work out what they are. It's okay to clarify once in a while (though I don't think there's a point when you're WO), definitely okay for CO at least. Can't say much for the baking soda thing though... though I've heard it's a harsh clarifier so there would be no need?
You can use oil with most washing methods. Or you could just do a deep oil treatment once every couple weeks and wash it out with a different method than usual.

Amber_Maiden
July 28th, 2012, 06:18 AM
There are many no poo methods; water only, acv only, baking soda and acv, sebum only, conditioner only...

When I went no poo, for awhile, I did use oil on my ends, because they are dry.

lmfbs
July 28th, 2012, 06:27 AM
I've tried CO, WO, ACV only, BS & ACV.

I'm currently CO with a mix of coney and cone-free conditioner, and I clarify around about every 6 weeks.

I use coconut oil because my hair doesn't like EVOO so much, but I've never had a problem with extra buildup from oil.

earthnut
July 28th, 2012, 11:36 AM
It's OK to clarify once in a while. Some conditioners build up on the hair, some people get more build up than others.

Oils are perfectly OK for no-poo, even olive oil. Oils can be washed out with conditioner. Conditioners have mild surfactants in them, so they do clean.

earthnut
July 28th, 2012, 11:47 AM
It's OK to clarify once in a while. Some conditioners build up on the hair, some people get more build up than others.

Oils are perfectly OK for no-poo, even olive oil. Oils can be washed out with conditioner. Conditioners have mild surfactants in them, so they do clean.

Ebrox
July 28th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I do BS & ACV, and yes, I use coconut oil on my length almost every day. I don't feel the need to use any clarifying shampoo though.

WaterMusic
July 28th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Let's just clear one thing up. There is no ok, or not ok - only things that do or do not work for your hair. There isn't a prize for being a REAL WO washer, or CO washer, or whatever. Those are just labels to describe people's routines.

If your hair likes a clarifying wash on a regular basis, then do it. Figure out what your hair likes before you start worrying about anything else.

ratgirldjh
July 28th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Let's just clear one thing up. There is no ok, or not ok - only things that do or do not work for your hair. There isn't a prize for being a REAL WO washer, or CO washer, or whatever. Those are just labels to describe people's routines.

If your hair likes a clarifying wash on a regular basis, then do it. Figure out what your hair likes before you start worrying about anything else.

^^^^ I agree! very well put :)

I think my favorite other than CO washing which is working great for me at the moment was borax with a citric acid rinse.

Baking soda/ACV made my hair too dry and fly away.

I also love clay washes with ACV rinses and then a drop of baby oil after.

I even did WO washing with VCO. I would massage my scalp every morning with VCO and then rinse my hair. When it would finally get too greasy for water to remove I would do a heavy VCO oiling and wash it out over the course of a few days. When it finally came out I would be left with CLEAN hair.

I have always used some sort of oil in my routine.

Oh and of course soap and ACV rinse which I have used way more often than any other method.

Carolyn
July 28th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I want to put an emphasis on what the other said about there being no right or wrong thing to do. What you need to do is do a lot of LHC research and read about other peoples experiences and how they handled their hair issues. Then you have to decide what you want to try for yourself. Some things will work and a lot of them won't but you learn by trial and error.

I'll share my no poo experience with you. For quite a while I was CO washing about 3 times a week with either VO5 or old formula WR. Yes I got build up and I would sometimes use a clarifying poo. I found that baking soda was terribly harsh on my hair. I've seen others swear by it. You have to find these things out for yourself. I hope you will LHC is a wealth of information.

earthnut
July 28th, 2012, 08:12 PM

Yep, everything's OK! :D

Though, if the OP was asking if she can do those things and still call herself CO, the answer is yes. :)

qijino1236
July 29th, 2012, 12:01 AM
I have never tried no 'poo but from what I have researched so far about the subject I thought the point of no 'poo is to get natural sebum oils flowing all over your hair. Wouldn't a clarifying shampoo get rid of that oil natural and result in a failed no 'poo experimentation? I hope I am wrong about what I think a clarifying shampoo actually does(I have never used a clarifying shampoo except for baking soda and water).

Ambystoma
July 29th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I felt like I was doing the no 'poo wrong for ages, since my hair adores being clarified, and I felt that it was only meant to be done every now and then. Actually, after 2 weeks of being on LHC my hair ended up badly overmoisturised :rollin:.

I've since discovered my hair loves protein and being super clean, so BS and ACV are my best friends, and it's only conditioning that I experiment with now. I'm still on a learning curve too but I like the advice in this thread - learn why and how things work alone and in combination and let your hair tell you what it likes best! :)

Becky9679
July 29th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Personally, I've been using CO (a silicone free brand) and ACV for over a year and I've never clarified. I do use oil and my hair has a tendency to get greasy as well but clarifying just doesn't seem necessary. Then again, I do use henndigo which is after all very effective at stripping all oil and sebum from your hair so maybe I get my clarifying 'fix' this way ;)