PDA

View Full Version : Giant Foreheads?

Studentchef
July 28th, 2012, 02:58 AM
I love my mid back length straight hair. From the back. But I have a giant movie screen forehead, and it never looks right from the front. Thinking about fringe/bangs, but I had them done badly once. Anyone know a solution to this?

Allychan
July 28th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Side swept bangs, with an off centre part. I have a humongous forehead too and straight bangs look WRONG, cut on the diagaonal really 'breaks it up' nicely. Go long first though, overly short ones will look like you've pushed your wig back too far!!;)

Anlbe
July 28th, 2012, 03:08 AM
I have a huge forehead too. Personally I don't find that bangs help, I just learned to embrace it. However a side parting I find does make it look better

Natalia
July 28th, 2012, 03:14 AM
another with a huge forehead here. i agree with the sideswept bang i went from standard fringe with longer sides to a sideswept and it was just as nice with much less maitenance and styling. i grew it out since i was in a bad place and it was one more thing to take care of but in the last year i keep going back and forth on weather or not i'll do them again. i always wear my hair up and im always self conscious about it but i also really love being wo and dont think my bangs would agree with that plus im lazy when it comes to styling lol.

hairhair
July 28th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Me too. Plus I get headaches from fringes/bangs (which, according to my hairdresser, is an actual thing that can happen). But I agree; side parts look better than middle parts with big foreheads.

JamieLeigh
July 28th, 2012, 03:54 AM
I also have a huge forehead (see avatar!) and I went for the sideswept, side-parted bangs. I cut them myself, to save myself the grief (and the money) of having them cut differently than what I envisioned, and I cut them longer than I wanted and trimmed to where I was happy with them. :) They're not thick bangs, just the front half-inch or so of my hairline all the way across. I cut them at an angle, from my nose down to my jawline on each side, after parting them to the side first.

I haven't regretted it yet. They'll still go into a French braid if I start it high enough, and they pin back nicely.

Bene
July 28th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Don't have anything useful to add.

Just wanted to take a minute to talk about my b/f's MASSIVE forehead. He's got it, his mom has it, his brothers have it, all of his brother's kids (and one grandkid) have it. GINORMOUS. They all look like dolphins. The family joke is, you can totally pick a member of that clan out of a crowd. Even if I ever wanted kids, I'd adopt. I couldn't imagine squeezing something like that.

bunzfan
July 28th, 2012, 04:10 AM
I have a big forehead to and my face is just to long and thin to go without a fringe i look better with a heavy fringe.

Allychan
July 28th, 2012, 04:53 AM

Just wanted to take a minute to talk about my b/f's MASSIVE forehead. He's got it, his mom has it, his brothers have it, all of his brother's kids (and one grandkid) have it. GINORMOUS. They all look like dolphins. The family joke is, you can totally pick a member of that clan out of a crowd. Even if I ever wanted kids, I'd adopt. I couldn't imagine squeezing something like that.

That made me laugh

embee
July 28th, 2012, 05:06 AM
I've got one too. I gave up on bangs as they don't do anything wonderful for me - hair's too thin already, don't need to give up a bunch to a stringy straggly fringe. The Part is my friend. Either side or center, just so there is a neat parting.

Sure would have been nice to have some waves (even some frizz) in my hair at the front to give some softness, but Noooo, don't have that. :(

It's ok. I got used to it, that's just how I look. I'll pretend it's a sign of great intelligence? ;)

Big earrings and a happy smile seem to do wonders...

Bene
July 28th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Be proud of your dolphin heads!!!!

How often does anyone get to make a statement like that? :laugh:

*crosses one off the bucket list*

bekstamonkey
July 28th, 2012, 05:18 AM
I reckon I got a large-ish forehead, too, and I'll testify to the side-part, my hair is all long, no bangs to speak of, but since I started parting my hair slightly to the side, my forehead is less noticeable...the side part seems to draw attention away from there and pull attention to both eyes and the hair :)

newbeginning
July 28th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Another big foreheaded (is that a word?) woman here too. I too find sides swept bangs and a side part helps to somewhat disguise it (even though the part looks a bit weird because of my widow's peak and the bangs are a pain to style).

palaeoqueen
July 28th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I have a big forehead and small face and a side parting does nothing for me, I need a proper blunt fringe, nothing else works. I actually like my fringe so it's ok, just would be nice to have the choice to go without sometimes.

Sisgoldenhair65
July 28th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Big forehead here, too (see avatar). I gave up on bangs and just accept it!

Firefly
July 28th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I have a big forehead too. Doesn't really bother me. Over the years I've done fringe now and then, but because of my hair type they're always cowlick-y and drive me nuts. I do have some longer face-framing pieces that I think help though.

Charybdis
July 28th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Hey, in certain medieval times, the giant forehead was considered the ideal for female beauty (to the point of women plucking/shaving their hairline). Just sayin'. ;)

And yes, I have an enormous forehead, as does everyone else in my family. My sis and I both decided that it was best to just ditch the bangs and embrace the fact that we have giant heads.

Neneka
July 28th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I am too a dolphin head! :laugh: I don't want to have a bangs anymore so the only thing to do is to embrace my dolphin-like features. Dolphins are cool.

cwarren
July 28th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Hey, in certain medieval times, the giant forehead was considered the ideal for female beauty (to the point of women plucking/shaving their hairline). Just sayin'. ;)

Hey, when you're cute, you're cute no matter how big your forehead is! Embrace it :cheese:

I haven't worn bangs since high school and learned that pulling my hair straight back makes my forehead look 2x the size it really is. A nice side part helps; but try not to do it in the same area all the time because that can cause breakage.

heidi w.
July 28th, 2012, 11:19 AM
You could consider going no bangs and instead just parting your hair on the side, somewhat deeply so you can pull the other side a bit over your forehead.....it's an idea. You may have to work on it to make it work, but it's do-able and now it's even somewhat fashionable.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 28th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I am too a dolphin head! :laugh: I don't want to have a bangs anymore so the only thing to do is to embrace my dolphin-like features. Dolphins are cool.

Do dolphins need bangs? No, they're cute the way they are, and they're really fabulous animals. I remember the report I did on their language in Junior High. I liked doing that report; today, with the internet, I could do an even better presentation....

heidi w.

AnqeIicDemise
July 28th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Two head chiming in! (I kid you not, my forehead is two fingerwidths with a slight widows peak and the sides are about a finger with from my brows. When I get my brows done, a bit of my hair line goes with it.) I looooooooorrrrve larger foreheads. I do, however, understand the severity of ones look without a fringe. Get it too. I had to snip a quasi fringe to make me look softer.

Do what you will, if it makes you feel better. The rest of the world already knows you are beautiful.

akilina
July 28th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I call it a five head. Or a six head.
And they are cute!! I imagine that it would cause self consciousness, but instead of that, why not just rock it?? I am sure you look great :)

Maybe you could try out some bangs. Shop around for a GOOD hairdresser :]

Deborah
July 28th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I've seen many posts by people who feel their forehead is just too high and visible, and that it needs to be covered. Mostly they look just great. I don't see a photo of you, but I bet your forehead does not appear too large to others. I'm not a fan of bangs, as mostly I think people look wonderful with their slightly higher than average foreheads. It's a clear, clean, elegant look. Don't be quick to hide what is most likely a good feature of yours.

AJoifulNoise
July 28th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I have a sizeable forehead. For years my mom, stepmom, and hairdressers talked me into bangs. Which was really frustrating because no matter how much product I used (to be fair, I hated hair products even then), they would part right down the middle and make me look like a doofus. So, when I got control of my hair I said NO to bangs. I embraced my forehead. A couple years ago I went to a hairdresser (I was cutting from tailbone to OMGSHORT at the time) and I told her NO BANGS. What did she say? "Of course not, you have a cowlick right in the center of your forehead.

:rolleyes:

Really? No one else EVER noticed that?

Cupofmilk
July 28th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I think I would win the high forehead competition. I hate it and looked at getting surgery done to bring the hair line down.

TheWebsIWeave
July 28th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I have versatile bangs. Which means that the base of the bangs is in a rectangular shape,and they are cut straight and sit right at the base of my nose and halfway in my eyes. Even if it might seem unpractical,i actually find it the cutest way to hide my forehead. I can curl them (that is,i roll them around two of my fingers and clip them with two bobbypins in a roll shape) to make them shorter and therefore have bumped up straight bangs,or i can just push them on the side to have side bangs.

MissTulip
July 28th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I think I would win the high forehead competition. I hate it and looked at getting surgery done to bring the hair line down.

They have surgery for that???

I think I'll stick with my side part until I need a face lift, then have the forehead surgery at the same time! HA! :p

Deborah
July 28th, 2012, 03:44 PM

Oh, honey, don't do it! Surgery is really a drastic response to a high forehead. I bet it only looks too high to you, and that you look perfectly normal. We can all be so hard on ourselves.

If it really bugs you a lot, have some shortish wispy bangs cut. I'm sure that would suffice to help you feel better.

There is nothing wrong or unattractive about a high forehead. It can be an elegant and really pretty look.

jacqueline101
July 28th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Side part and bangs. Side swept or another style of your liking.

tinti
July 28th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I also have one HUGE forehead, long thin face and pointy chin, so when I put my hair up I look like a bald donkey, when I have my hair down I look like someone used a "drag" option in a photo editor except irl. I have found I look best with "just started to grow my straight-across bangs out"-bangs, since when I actualy wear straight across bangs they like to part in the middle (which is NOT a good look). But when they're a litle bit longer (nose bridge lenght) they are obedient enough that I can wear a side part and just kinda spray them into place.

jeanniet
July 28th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I have a small forehead and unless bangs start way up on my head they look really stubby and odd. I always fear that my lack of forehead makes me look Neandertalish (couple that with my longish arms, and there you go: cavewoman!). I hope that makes all of you feel better!

proo
July 28th, 2012, 08:27 PM

LOLOLOLOLOL

Eirelin
July 28th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Yup, big forehead here, too. I have been unhappy with bangs my whole life because of 1. the two cowlicks and 2. straight bangs had to start too high up on my head. However, the big forehead was always much, much worse.

Finally, I am happy with them, for the first time in my life, because I have gone with the side swept bangs, and not only that, they are more along the lines of a shorter layer than true bangs so they can flip back and forth from one side to the other, depending on what mood my hair is in that day. They also cover the cowlick pretty well.

cuddledumplin
July 28th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I've got whay Tyra Banks calls a fivehead, but I just rake mine back, and let my big forehead show. I can't do a fringe; they look revolting on me, so I just deal with it.

Allychan
July 28th, 2012, 09:53 PM
My forehead is 4.5 fingers from my eyebrows, that's pretty high. Do I qualify as a Dolphin head?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2179938/Frankie-Boyle-takes-Twitter-mock-Olympic-swimmer-Rebecca-Adlington.html

misspurdy06
July 28th, 2012, 11:12 PM
If you don't want cut bangs you can just pin our hair to look like bangs.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/Picture76.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/Picture81.jpg

Rose Petal
July 28th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Man, I pluck my hairline to make my tiny forhead bigger!

Neneka
July 28th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Do dolphins need bangs? No, they're cute the way they are, and they're really fabulous animals. I remember the report I did on their language in Junior High. I liked doing that report; today, with the internet, I could do an even better presentation....

heidi w.

They are indeed great animals. I had to go to read more about them. Just amazing. :)

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Man, I pluck my hairline to make my tiny forhead bigger!

Haha! I thought I was the only one. Seriously, I have nightmares of my hairline eating my face.

But we always covet what we don't have. I've been thinking of re sculpting my hair line a la Rita Hayworth.

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Oh, honey, don't do it! Surgery is really a drastic response to a high forehead. I bet it only looks too high to you, and that you look perfectly normal. We can all be so hard on ourselves.

If it really bugs you a lot, have some shortish wispy bangs cut. I'm sure that would suffice to help you feel better.

There is nothing wrong or unattractive about a high forehead. It can be an elegant and really pretty look.

Thank you! This is what I say. I personally feel like I look really un-elegant and bafoonish (maybe that's where low brow came from?). The truth is there is ALWAYS someone out there whom you will be a perfect fit to. Look at me; I have a teeny tiny little itty bitty forehead. I say two-head (in reality its more like two and a half. My widow's peak makes it two) and I find this aspect of me extremely unatractive, especially on how the hairline swoops in and eats up my brows if I'm not careful at the sides. Yet, I found a man who finds my diminutive hairless cranial space attractive.

In fact, *HE* hates his own forehead because its, like Bene put it, so Dolphin-ish. I actually find it quite sexy. :D

Becky9679
July 29th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Another one with a fivehead! I haven't worn a fringe/bangs since I was a small child as I really really hate the way they look on me. I just let my fivehead shine in all its glory :D

Studentchef
July 29th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Wow, everyone....thanks!

Bene
July 29th, 2012, 02:24 AM
B/f woke up just as I was skimming through this thread, so I say "Hey there, dolphin head :)" and he looks at me for a second and says "Did you call me 'dolphin head'?"

And now he's laughing. Practically choking. I should go give him a few whacks on the back....

heidi w.
July 29th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Does anyone know that high foreheads is something they look for in models? Jes' sayin'

Dolphin Heads Unite! (Do we need a t-shirt?)

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 29th, 2012, 08:33 AM
B/f woke up just as I was skimming through this thread, so I say "Hey there, dolphin head :)" and he looks at me for a second and says "Did you call me 'dolphin head'?"

And now he's laughing. Practically choking. I should go give him a few whacks on the back....

Ask him if he wants a cracker with that...

heidi w.

indiana
July 29th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I've got one too. I gave up on bangs as they don't do anything wonderful for me - hair's too thin already, don't need to give up a bunch to a stringy straggly fringe. The Part is my friend. Either side or center, just so there is a neat parting.

Sure would have been nice to have some waves (even some frizz) in my hair at the front to give some softness, but Noooo, don't have that. :(

It's ok. I got used to it, that's just how I look. I'll pretend it's a sign of great intelligence? ;)

Big earrings and a happy smile seem to do wonders...

This is the approach I take also, for the same reason - bangs dont work well with my hair type. I embrace the face and LOVE my earrings!

SongofLove
July 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I like the look of blunt bangs, and I've had bangs for most of my life because I wanted to hide my forehead. But they can be a bit of a pain because you must keep cutting them or curling them or they will get in your eyes all the time. So I finally decided to grow mine out---now my bangs are shoulder-length.

But it's still a bit of an awkward length for bangs because don't always stay in a ponytail or braid. So what I've been doing is wearing scarves. I put my hair in a low bun with spin pins and wear a black sleeping cap to encase all my hair, then put a scarf over it. I really like this hairstyle because it keeps all my hair off my neck, AND I can make my forehead as small or large as I please :D

Haha, I loved the term "fivehead" ever since I read an interview with Tyra Banks in which she talked about finding the beauty in hers. I've felt self-conscious about my relatively high hairline for a while. It blows my mind to hear that some of you actually pluck your hairlines! I've always thought that a low hairline makes a face look cute and youngish.

So thanks for this thread! Seeing all you lovely ladies with generous foreheads inspires me to embrace my own.