PDA

View Full Version : Is there a right way to wear your hair in bed?

hippoti
July 28th, 2012, 12:36 AM
I used to think that having your hair loose in bed was the best choice, but I think I'm wrong..? If a certain style is better for less damage, can you please state why?

Thank you!

lmfbs
July 28th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Most people wear it in buns or braids. If you look back a few pages there's a cool, long thread about how people wear their hair to bed which might be of interest to you.

Personally, I braid it loosely.

Bene
July 28th, 2012, 12:51 AM
There is no one style. The main goal is to prevent any damage from occurring while you sleep. Take that whichever way works for you. So it depends on whatever YOU think causes you the most damage.

Some people are hyper-vigilant about coarse pillow cases, so they'll get silk/satin pillowcases or silk/satin bonnets. Something about micro-snagging on materials that aren't perfectly smooth.

Other people will braid their hair. The point is to prevent any tangling from going on while sleeping.

I just go with a loose braid on a regular cotton pillowcase. Unless I just crash, and then sleep in whatever bun I have at the time.

DancingQueen
July 28th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Well, if you like to wear it loose, you can just sweep it over your pillow while you are sleeping. :)

Rish
July 28th, 2012, 02:32 AM
I wear mine banded down the length, then I just gently pull off the elastics and brush it neat with a comb, no knot issues or anything.

julliams
July 28th, 2012, 02:40 AM
I wear mine loose.

Natalia
July 28th, 2012, 02:42 AM
personally i wear it loose. but i also go straight from shower to bed. if i were to go to bed with dry hair id probably wear my satin cap since my hair is rather flighty. now i typically loosely coil it above my head. i generally dislike sleeping with pillows so sometimes i put is beside me if i roll to the side of the bed.

Sisgoldenhair65
July 28th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I wear a bun secured with spin pins and use a satin pillowcase. My hair is very delicate and needs extra precautions till the color is grown out which will be.......forever!

brave
July 28th, 2012, 09:00 AM
As long as it's attached to your head somehow it should be fine ;)

I wear mine loose, but have a satin pillowcase that likes to fly off the bed. Braids seemed to result in more tangles/strange waves for me, and if I put my hair up in a bun it isn't coming down.

Fairlight63
July 28th, 2012, 09:07 AM
It has been so hot here this summer that I could not wear the silk sleep cap so I wear mine in a loose braid. When I get up in the morning I just run a comb through the top part, put a head band on and grab the braid in my hand & roll it into a bun. Does not take much time at all.

Later in the day I will take it all down & comb out the braid & rebraid or however I want to wear it for the day.

Tia2010
July 28th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I do a loose braid on each side (I'm a back sleeper so I hate laying on a center braid) or I will do a loose bun on top my head and I use a silk pillow case.

I can't leave it loose and put it behind my pillow because my headboard is a woven pattern (hate it and can't wait to get a new one) and it snags my hair. :mad:

heidi w.
July 28th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Of all the things to do at night, I would mostly recommend either sleeping in a satin sleep cap or on a satin or sateen pillowcase. Hair will tangle less if it's given a surface that the hair can slide on. Also, do not sleep in an updo. Your head's capillaries need to rest during the night. For styles, you can consider a loose braid or braided pigtails....or scrunchies down the length so that hair doesn't go all over the place. If your hair is longer as mine is, you put your hair somewhere it's long enough to generally stay put most of the night, even if you're a tosser, but much shorter it won't stay put so well. Too light yet.

heidi w.

Asprettyasme
July 28th, 2012, 01:42 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

OrganicJewel
July 28th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I wear mine loose inside of a sleep cap. I've found that to be best and results in silky, tangle free hair. I can't go without my sleep cap, although sometimes I do find it to be hot, even though it's silk and breathable.

Madora
July 28th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Personally, I hate dealing with tangles and am a restless sleeper.

For years I slept using double braids but after reading about putting your hair in a loosely braided bun on top of your head, I tried it...and it worked! Now detangling takes less than a minute!

Lots of LHCers recommend silk or satin pillowcase covers. They're too cold for me. I've been sleeping on cotton for decades, without harm. I think the cotton thread count makes a difference, however.

lil_irish_angel
July 28th, 2012, 02:26 PM
always loose , really do nto have a problem with tangles , being im a side sleeper and i have a cat that layes on my hair , lol

neko_kawaii
July 28th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I can't stand sleeping with it loose, too hot, gets everywhere, tangles. I used to do an english braid but discovered that elastics damage the last few inches of my hair like nobody's business, so I've been avoiding them as much as possible. Loose, flat top o'the head buns work well for me. Last night it was still damp when I went to rebun for sleep and I thought, "maybe I'll get nice waves if I 'ploop' it all night," so I piled it in a bandana and tied a second bandana the other way to keep everything inside. An impromptu sleep cap I guess.

jacqueline101
July 28th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I like a loose bun.

catamonica
July 28th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I usually wear a low braided bun to bed. Then I don' thave to mess with it in the morning.

luxepiggy
July 28th, 2012, 10:57 PM
There's no single best way; it really depends on both your hair and the way you sleep. For example, I don't move at all when I sleep, so I prefer to leave my hair loose and use a silk pillow cover to minimize rubbing/tension on the hair strands. An active sleeper might prefer an updo to reduce nighttime tangles.

Correa
July 28th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Sometimes loose and sometimes in a loose braid. I'm still working out what works best for me.

teela1978
July 28th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I just throw my hair over my pillow (hanging down the back of the mattress I guess...). Its fine that way. Also, I just use cotton pillowcases, I tried silk but didn't like the feel of it on my neck.

jeanniet
July 28th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I use a silk beanie and sleep on a silk pillowcase. Having my hair loose or in braids/bunned would drive me crazy. I like having it contained and close to my head.

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2012, 02:07 PM
if I'm lazy enough I'll sleep with it loose. Its more of a matter for comfort to me. I'm a heavy, one-position sleeper unless I'm having one of those days where my tension is getting the best of me. For the most part, however, whatever position I fall asleep in is the same I wake up.

On my neurotic days, I put it in a braid and the position of the braid depends on HOW anxious I am. I just know when its going to be a tough day to sleep and that means the higher the braid and the more I have to pin it up. When I'm really , really anxious I toss and turn all over the place. I then wind up choking when my braid wraps around my neck. -.-