PDA

View Full Version : Playing guinea pig tomorrow...

Eirelin
July 27th, 2012, 11:02 PM
And I am a little nervous about it. My (younger) cousin is in cosmetology school and I volunteered to let her wash, condition, dry, and style my hair tomorrow. At first, I thought it would be kind of neat to be able to do this for her (it is for a grade), but now I am thinking, "Oh, boy. Shampoo (which I only use to clarify once every 2-4 weeks or so/, the blowfry, then trust her to stay away from the flat iron (I have never used one or had one used on me and I don't want it!)."

I did explain that I don't use heat and she let me know that it will be have to be dried but they use something to protect it. I also let her know that I'm all for an updo, braids, that kind of thing.

I know, it should all be fine. I am just a bit nervous. However, since I have not used any heat (except Caruso rollers) for a long time and not much even before then, I guess I should be able to handle one blowout.

I hope. :scared:

ladylowtide
July 27th, 2012, 11:05 PM
You my dear, are one brave lady. I am way too much of control freak to let someone do stuff to my hair. But it is really nice that you are doing that for her. I think as long as she doesn't use the flat iron on you, there's nothing thats gonna do permanent damage in one sitting... so I guess just enjoy it :) whatever happens. I hope it turns out well for you.

brave
July 27th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Maybe see if she'll try diffusing it?

Tisiloves
July 27th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Perhaps you could negotiate for cool/warm blowfry?

Will she let you coach her a bit?

Eirelin
July 28th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Well, it is done. She was quite nice about it all and kept the heat to a minimum (yay!). She used her fingers to comb through while drying until it was 50% dry and then used a paddle brush. Not what I would use, but she was very gentle (mostly because she was afraid to do too much). One big plus was in washing it; she has been taught to wash twice but only did it once because I explained I usually use only very diluted shampoo and then only once every week or 2, barring sweating, etc.

My hair was rather longer than she expected. I ended up turning the chair around and straddling it because it was too long to brush easily (I finally checked the other night for the first time in ages, and the point of the "V" has finally reached waist-- YIPPEE!!). Every time she has seen pictures of it, it was always either up or curly, so it looked shorter.

She ended up putting the back up in a big poofy bun (ponytail, gently tease it :( and curve it down, pin below), similar to something I do often without teasing. Then she did tiny fishtail braids, two on one side and three on the other, pinned up and around the bun, and finishing off with side-swept bangs (my request; gotta cover the fivehead). Originally two of the braids were going to be criss-crossed over the bun, but she couldn't get it to stay right.

She finished off with very little hair spray and that was it.

It was pretty cool, although I would have been much happier without the teasing and hair spray; ironically enough, it was the blowdrying that I was worried about and it turned out to be no problem.

I got lots and lots of compliments, mostly on the color of my hair. It was so cool because everyone stopped to check it out, even people from other classes walking past the door. How cool! What was so funny is that my cousin could verify that my color was real, in spite of the henna on the roots to get rid of the blonde (redheads in our family really don't go gray; we go blonde and then off-white). Otherwise, they all would have thought it was fake.

Mine was also the longest hair there :p At only 29", that was pretty bizarre to me.

Pardon the really, really awful webcam photos and the messy bathroom:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/255384_480840255261697_1016330820_n.jpghttps://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/539016_480840268595029_1465247358_n.jpghttps://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/552745_480840281928361_1549321595_n.jpghttps://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/558086_480840291928360_1879705785_n.jpg

Kind of a fun day, and after spending all my time with guys, it was pretty neat to be in a big room almost entirely full of women and girls who kept telling me how gorgeous my hair was. Talk about an ego boost! :cheese:

julliams
July 28th, 2012, 07:34 PM
It looks amazing. I bet you are glad you did it now. I would have felt alot calmer about it knowing that scissors were not involved. A little blowdrying and teasing will be ok just the once. And your hair colour looks beautiful.

Amapola
July 28th, 2012, 08:45 PM
It looks terrific! That is so great she was willing to listen to you about most stuff. It must have been a fun day and the results are fabulous!

Amber_Maiden
July 29th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Looks cool! :D

jacqueline101
July 29th, 2012, 06:25 AM
I'd be nervous too you never know what can happen. I'm glad your hair turned out lovely.