PDA

View Full Version : What is average, anyway?

kallarina
July 27th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I've been wondering what the average hair length for members on here is. Is is just me? I keep thinking, there are plenty of members that are at extreme lengths, but there are also plenty of newer members who are starting out at shorter lengths. Wouldn't it be cool to know, to know if you're on one side or the other? That could like a goal in itself! :p
Thoughts?

ddiana1979
July 27th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I'd like to know too. There are a few people with *really* long hair on here, but it seems there are also a lot of new people that are around BSL.

honeybunnie8
July 27th, 2012, 10:44 PM
From looking at most peoples stats I would suspect BSL is average.

ladylowtide
July 27th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I have seen a lot of APLs. That was the length I started at, so I might just be overly aware of the APL members. But certainly APL or BSL would be my guess for average.

kallarina
July 27th, 2012, 11:44 PM
I just wonder if the longer lengths throw off the average at all. I feel like I see a lot of waist lengths

berr
July 27th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Wasn't there a poll like that?

lolot
July 27th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I think bsl and waist are mayority

Silverbrumby
July 27th, 2012, 11:54 PM
APL, BSL and waist see to be the most active members. I would guess that's because most people joining the LHC forum are like myself, new to this, trying to grow out their hair or improve the quality in the best way possible for them. I've seen a bunch of older posts with people who no longer post here all that often. A lot of them seemed to have long hair in their profile pictures.

hairhair
July 28th, 2012, 12:20 AM
I'd say a lot of people come here when they're around APL/BSL.

In my case
-- I'd always previously cut my hair back to chin/shoulder once it reached APL and started to tangle badly.
-- This time, I decided I really want to grow it, and Googled stuff about long hair care.
-- I found LHC.

I could imagine that this happens to a lot of people around this length when suddenly it becomes more tangly/hard to deal with. And those people, like me, might make more posts because they're asking more questions.

millyaulait
July 28th, 2012, 06:31 AM
I think BSL, too.

Amber_Maiden
July 28th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Probably BSL. There are more people with that length, I think. And I think a lot of people give up and stay at that length.

And then there are the long-term members who have been here for awhile with their hair hip+. But I don't think there are many of us who are active.

FrannyG
July 28th, 2012, 07:11 AM
I think everyone has different goals. For some people, APL is their goal, which after having very short hair, is in fact, relatively long. Some people grow to classic, only to find that it's impractical and they go back to a shorter length. There are several people here with beautiful extreme lengths who keep it that way, but we notice them so much that it seems as though there are more members with those lengths than there actually are. I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess as to what the average length here is, but I'd bet it's shorter than BSL.

Sophiatrist
July 28th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I'm one of the new folks, I am at BSL (barely)

SerinaDaith
July 28th, 2012, 07:48 AM
My hair currently just brushes shoulder I'll probably be able to comfortably call it shoulder in a month or so. I would think a poll would be best to actually answer this question.

MeowScat
July 28th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I've always wanted to know this as well. I was hoping that one day there would be a chart or something with all the lengths and how many members fit into each category.

Something like:

Pixie - # of Members
Chin- # of Members
Shoulder - # of Members
APL - # of Members
BSL- # of Members
Waist - # of Members
Hip - # of Members
TBL - # of Members

....etc. (I know I skipped a lot of lengths but i didn't want my post to take up an entire page!). It would be great if the percentage of Members was listed also.

One can only dream.....

Pandora.
July 28th, 2012, 08:18 AM
I've seen more BSL and WL people than anything. I joined the site at WL but recently I trimmed a lot of dead ends off and I'm now at the awkward length that's in between BSL and WL.

Neneka
July 28th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I think BSL might be median but average must be shorter than BSL.

Tia2010
July 28th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I think maybe BSL to waist ? But maybe I just notice them more because thats where I am..I started at BSL with a long term goal of hip/ tailbone..but I keep trimming back...I think between BSL and WL is a spot alot of people (me included) stay at for a while to thicken hemlines or trim off damage.

XcaliburGirl
July 28th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I've always wanted to know this as well. I was hoping that one day there would be a chart or something with all the lengths and how many members fit into each category.

Something like:

Pixie - # of Members
Chin- # of Members
Shoulder - # of Members
APL - # of Members
BSL- # of Members
Waist - # of Members
Hip - # of Members
TBL - # of Members

....etc. (I know I skipped a lot of lengths but i didn't want my post to take up an entire page!). It would be great if the percentage of Members was listed also.

One can only dream.....
That would be cool, but there are a few issues. Some people sign up, post 3 times and then are never seen again. If the lengths aren't currently updated, then you could have people listed as one length but their hair is actually longer or shorter now.

I guess it would work if there was some sort of criteria for being considered an active member at the time of the report. e.g., number of posts total and most recent log on.

EdG
July 28th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I think we're a skewed distribution. It takes only a few "knee-length and beyond" to skew the average. ;)
Ed

koala
July 28th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I think we're a skewed distribution. It takes only a few "knee-length and beyond" to skew the average. ;)
Ed

But there's also always a couple in the bald-pixie range to pull it in the other direction as well.

My guess is BSL, but to really know, we'd have to take a random sample of members. A poll wouldn't work because it would only include people who saw it and chose to respond, which would create bias (likely toward the extremes or toward the shorter lengths if the super long hairs aren't as active).

BrownEyedBeauty
July 28th, 2012, 09:56 AM
The best way to find out is to create a poll.

I am going to guess its waist length or just above that.

EdG
July 28th, 2012, 09:59 AM
But there's also always a couple in the bald-pixie range to pull it in the other direction as well.Hair length can't go below zero, while there's no upper bound (at least for a lucky few). I expect the distribution to have a long tail. :)
Ed

Lostsoule77
July 28th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I think it's somewhere between BSL & WL. There are a few that have wl or longer and a few sl or shorter and a few in between. Makes BSL about average, but I don't think there is anyway that would accurately figure it out. Not everyone posts a lot or answers polls. I believe there was one posted at some point, but I don't recall the results.

palaeoqueen
July 28th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Hair length can't go below zero, while there's no upper bound (at least for a lucky few). I expect the distribution to have a long tail. :)
Ed

This is what I was going to say.

WaitingSoLong
July 28th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I tend to notice more TBL or longer members, but that is the "circle" I seem to run in. There are plenty of regular, active waist + members but I think you tend to notice more of your kindred hair-lengths.

I came here when I was around hip (thinking it was waist but not realizing after that waist is not where your belt is). That was 3 years ago. I am still active so... :shrug: I can ramble off many who are regularly active with longer than waist hair....btu I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by leaving them out.

ddiana1979
July 28th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I think a lot of people stop posting when they get near or at their goal. When you're actively trying to grow, you get (or maybe it's just me) a little obsessive about how to make things move a long faster. You look at the boards a lot for hairstyle ideas as your length increases, because old styles (for example, my hair is way too long to do a normal French Twist anymore, and that was previously a "go to" hairstyle for me). Since it can take literally YEARS to get to goal, you start to get a little tired of silly questions that get asked constantly, like "If I cut my hair once a month, will it grow faster?" or "If your hair is CLSC or longer, how do you go to the bathroom?" and thus end up posting less. There are still a lot of active WL+, CLSC+, and even longer people, but I think the vast majority of people in that length category don't post much.

akilina
July 28th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I'm not new *_* I have been here for three years, yet I have NOT reached BSL yet :/

xoxophelia
July 28th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I also think the average is probably BSL+ but I'll also add that the only accurate way of measuring this would be in inches or cm because the body measurements vary so much. In that case, I would put the average at about 29 inches?

CurlyCurves
July 29th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I second/(4th?) the BSL/APL/WAIST.

jacqueline101
July 29th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I'm at arm pit. I think waste and bra strap are average.

Pearly~91
July 29th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I am still new here, so feel free to ignore me, I may not have as accurate and idea as someone who has been around the forums longer.

I think the average is more in the waist to mid back abyss range.
There are definitely more active members with BSL and shorter, but I have seen quite afew tailbone & classics. Plus the older members with super long hair that aren't very active definitely pull the average down. At least that's what I think. :ponder:

jojo
July 30th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I'd say apl to bsl is the average, I know I joined with just past shoulder and there seemed to be a lot with similar lengths to mine when I joined or maybe I just noticed them more as we where the same length? I'm hip now and seem to see quite a few with this length.

It all depends on what you class as extreme lengths too I suppose!

jojo
July 30th, 2012, 06:26 AM
I am still new here, so feel free to ignore me, I may not have as accurate and idea as someone who has been around the forums longer.

I think the average is more in the waist to mid back abyss range.
There are definitely more active members with BSL and shorter, but I have seen quite afew tailbone & classics. Plus the older members with super long hair that aren't very active definitely pull the average down. At least that's what I think. :ponder:

Very good point! Those with sorter are more likely to need support or advice, yet the older longer members just like to sit and browse, not posting as much!

Welcome to LHC pearly, we would never ignore our new members:) please post away!

lmfbs
July 30th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I made a poll on what our 2012 average length is - you can vote here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2239365#post2239365)!

WaitingSoLong
July 30th, 2012, 05:37 PM
I made a poll on what our 2012 average length is - you can vote here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2239365#post2239365)!

So how do we get everyone to go there? I only check the poll board once a month or so and only saw this because of this thread. :confused:

lmfbs
July 30th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I was just wondering that myself. I'm not sure there is necessarily a good way except to maybe make a post in the mane forum every few weeks reminding poeple to vote?

biogirl87
November 28th, 2012, 01:28 PM
If I had to guess what the average length is on LHC I'd say it's somewhere between APL and waist. Hard to tell with more certainty though.

vanillabones
November 28th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Well I am only just at APL and I have been here almost two years. It depends where you start and how bad the condition is. I need a 1 inch trim I determined today so I will be APL for awhile and BSL hopefully by summer 2013. I think the average will only greatly increase if everyone stops trimming for a year haha, and the average LHCer seems more concerned with health than length although this is a long hair site. It will take me years to have LHC standard 'long hair'. It is a life journey.