PDA

View Full Version : Liquorice powder for hair lightening

Audrey Horne
July 27th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I've bought some liquorice. (licorice) root powder that I plan to use externally. I know it's frequently used for skin lightening/brightening or to even out its tone. So I thought maybe it's used for adding golden tones to one's hair or even to lighten it(?)

I didn't find much info, just an old thread where OP was talking about liquorice tea rinses. I'm more interested in using it in my hair masks or henna. Does anyone have any experience with it?

akilina
July 27th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Very interesting!! It would be worth an experiment I think.
You should let us know...because I can not stand the smell or taste or anything about black liquorice! :D

ratgirldjh
July 27th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I have no idea about this. I love liquorice root in all my teas though so if you don't like it for your hair you could always make tea. :)

Audrey Horne
July 27th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Hey girls!
I hate its taste lol But I figured it might do something good externally, so I bought it. I already used it as a facial treatment along with brown sugar, canola oil and some other things. Loved it!

I will use it in my hair on Monday, I think. Not sure how much to include.

akilina
July 27th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I think it sounds really nice as a facial. I'm not into making myself pale, or lighter, but I would be into possibly evening out skin tone.

Audrey Horne
July 27th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I think it sounds really nice as a facial. I'm not into making myself pale, or lighter, but I would be into possibly evening out skin tone.

I doubt you can become lighter. I made papaya facials daily for about three weeks. There was no difference in my skin colour but the tone seemed nicer and my skin looked fresher, I think. I highly doubt that natural methods like these can seriously bleach skin that's already white.

PoppyCakes
July 27th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Liquorice definitely lightened my sun damaged skin! Took months to see a difference, but it is very gentle. I believe it would lighten hair with time, and without damage. It is worth a try.

Audrey Horne
July 27th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Liquorice definitely lightened my sun damaged skin! Took months to see a difference, but it is very gentle. I believe it would lighten hair with time, and without damage. It is worth a try.

I'm glad to hear it worked for you! Maybe I should start doing it on my overly tanned hands :hmm: How exactly did you use it? As a mask?

dawnss
July 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM
That's pretty cool, I have never used it. I do know though, that star anise smells like black licorice, believe it or not.

dawnss
July 27th, 2012, 10:09 PM
To the three ladies who posted in this thread: Audrey Horne, PoppyCakes, and akilina you all have very beautiful hair!

Audrey Horne
July 27th, 2012, 10:11 PM
That's pretty cool, I have never used it. I do know though, that star anise smells like black licorice, believe it or not.
ha, I never noticed! :D

To the three ladies who posted in this thread: Audrey Horne, PoppyCakes, and akilina you all have very beautiful hair!
Thank you :flower:

dawnss
July 27th, 2012, 10:12 PM
It really does Audrey Horne and you're welcome!

PoppyCakes
July 28th, 2012, 05:34 AM
I'm glad to hear it worked for you! Maybe I should start doing it on my overly tanned hands :hmm: How exactly did you use it? As a mask?
Haha, it would probably work on your hands as they are so susceptible to colour change.
I bought it in liquid form, but i dare say the powder would have the same results. I used it in a lemon mixture. I guess it acted as a toner?
But for hair you probably don't want to use lemon as it can cause damage. But if you make a brew of the liquorice powder, and say, chamomile tea, I think you could have nice results. Maybe just use it as a wash and leave it in as it dries? It would be very gentle results though, and could take time to notice any large amount of difference.

Thank you:blushing:

Audrey Horne
July 28th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Haha, it would probably work on your hands as they are so susceptible to colour change.
I bought it in liquid form, but i dare say the powder would have the same results. I used it in a lemon mixture. I guess it acted as a toner?
But for hair you probably don't want to use lemon as it can cause damage. But if you make a brew of the liquorice powder, and say, chamomile tea, I think you could have nice results. Maybe just use it as a wash and leave it in as it dries? It would be very gentle results though, and could take time to notice any large amount of difference.
Thank you! Subtle is fine by me :) If I wanted something overly drastic I'd go with chemical bleaching. Idk if I'll be able to stick with lightening because of hennaing again soon... But I will give it a try :)

PoppyCakes
July 28th, 2012, 07:08 AM
No problem!
I'm sure whatever the results, they will be very lovely!