PDA

View Full Version : The Magic Haircut

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Hey guys,

I bought this book some months ago. I saw the title in huge bold letters "Grow Hair Fast" so of course I bought it. The book is by Riquette Hofstein. It has tons of all natural recipes , tips and a 7 day program to help your hair grow.

There was on section called "The Magic Haircut". I was wondering if anyone had tried this haircut before?? Maybe they have read the book before? Here are the instructions for the hair cut:

"1) The hairline must be cut with precision and care. Every single hair must be lifted with a comb and cut. Your stylist with comb a thin layer forward and clip, then section another layer forward and clip it even with the first, repeating the process until all the hair has been sectioned and cut from the hairline to the crown. Even if you do it yourself, have your hairline trimmed every three weeks. Just a tiny bit at the ends. Lift your hair with your comb and take tiny snips--even of the fuzz.

2) Once the horizontal layering of the top is complete, the same area must be layered and cut on an angle, vertically from the sides. Work from the front to the back on each side. Such careful distribution of the hair's volume creates a balanced, easily styled look for both men and women.

3) Working from the crown, your stylist will section your hair vertically in small sections. Lift hair and cut over the comb. Alternate cutting vertically with cutting horizontally until you reach the nape.

4) Be careful to integrate the layering from both sides and the crown so that you won't have a strong line across your head. Even fuzz must be combed and clipped to prohibit damage and drying as it grows.

5) Angular cutting at the sides strengthen and shapes hair at the temples. Regular cutting will enable your hair to grow into shape. By the time you complete the 7 step program, the styling patterns of the basic Magic Cut will be established.

By carefully sectioning the hair and clipping the ends of each section horizontally and then re sectioning so that it can be cut vertically, your stylist will be able to create "tunnels" through the under-layers of your hair. This technique provides "lift" --air space-- from underneath so that your new hair will have room to grow. "

I know in this forum most everyone is against getting regular hair cuts, I was just wondering if anyone had tried this out before?? Seems kind of strange and a bit hard for me to follow for some reason.

Amber_Maiden
July 27th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Seems a bit hard... and silly to me. Not my cup of tea.

Dovetail
July 27th, 2012, 04:41 PM
That totally baffled me. Maybe I need a video @.@ I'd like to see if anyone has tried it though!

DarkCurls
July 27th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I was lost by n°2. Or maybe n°1. Oo
I'm not against cutting (I mean... I'm against cutting my hair, but I see why other people might disagree), but I just can't picture this method. Completely lost here.

Amapola
July 27th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I would question the reasoning. Does your hair actually need tunnels to give it space to grow? I kept mine all wadded up in a hair net for months and it grew just fine.

I think your hair will grow just fine even without this tedious and complicated hair cut. Maybe it's a really cute cut, that might be a reason to get it, but to give your hair room to grow? Don't think it is necessary.

Miss Catrina
July 27th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I'm a stylist in training and I don't even understand what the heck this is saying. I also don't believe any particular haircut can aid in growing hair.

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 05:11 PM
ok glad I am not the only one who finds this almost impossible to follow haha...I'm not really sure how she even came up with this and how it remotely helped someone's hair grow. She also suggested using vodka mixed with cayenne pepper on your scalp every morning. That kind of made me go..what the hell?? I guess it's supposed to stimulate your hair, but seems like it would majorly dry out your scalp.

MrsGuther
July 27th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Sounds pretty complicated to me... Eeek!

MrsGuther
July 27th, 2012, 05:14 PM
ok glad I am not the only one who finds this almost impossible to follow haha...I'm not really sure how she even came up with this and how it remotely helped someone's hair grow. She also suggested using vodka mixed with cayenne pepper on your scalp every morning. That kind of made me go..what the hell?? I guess it's supposed to stimulate your hair, but seems like it would majorly dry out your scalp.

Vodka and cayenne pepper??!! Oh my goodness! Way too adventurous for me. ::o

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Vodka and cayenne pepper??!! Oh my goodness! Way too adventurous for me. ::o

haha I remember I was underage and read that. I was like how the heck am I going to manage to get vodka! It seems kind of silly now to even want to put that on my head.

DarkCurls
July 27th, 2012, 05:23 PM
haha I remember I was underage and read that. I was like how the heck am I going to manage to get vodka! It seems kind of silly now to even want to put that on my head.
I'm underage and I know how to have access to vodka... *cough* Don't worry, I don't drink it. But I could if I wanted to. In my experience, if they're not allowed to put their hands on it, teens will find a way to get it.
That said, I wonder why vodka would be considered stimulating for hair. :confused: And the smell! Would it wash out or would I get stared at everywhere I went?

jeanniet
July 27th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Maybe one of the stylists here can make sense of it. I sure can't. I'm also not sure why it would matter if the "new" hair had room to grow--I mean, regular hair doesn't need "tunnels." :confused:

Tisiloves
July 27th, 2012, 05:27 PM

What it'd probably mainly achieve would be major scalp irritation and dandruff.

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I'm underage and I know how to have access to vodka... *cough* Don't worry, I don't drink it. But I could if I wanted to. In my experience, if they're not allowed to put their hands on it, teens will find a way to get it.
That said, I wonder why vodka would be considered stimulating for hair. :confused: And the smell! Would it wash out or would I get stared at everywhere I went?

My parents did have a lot of alcohol on top of the fridge..I could have asked for some, but I somehow doubted they would have been cool with me taking it to do some "hair experiments" with

:ale:

Pearly~91
July 27th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I really think that haircut looks unnecessarily complicated!! I don't see how it would help with hair growth AT ALL. A certain cut isn't going to boost growth more than any other, that's just not how it works.

Maybe it just shows growth well? Or grows out evenly... I'm really not sure what makes it "magic".

kidari
July 27th, 2012, 05:53 PM
The concept is very catchy but I don't think that most people who do this so called "magic haircut" on their own hair. I am an advocate for microtrims though.

spidermom
July 27th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Can I just drink the vodka and cayenne pepper? It would be a great cure for a sore throat!

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Can I just drink the vodka and cayenne pepper? It would be a great cure for a sore throat!

I think that is the better choice :P

Audrey Horne
July 27th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Couldn't follow that cut, I got lost in the middle of it all.
Vodka/pepper can work just fine and stimulate your scalp if you let alcohol evaporate. You can buy something similar in a pharmacy. Pepper tonic of some sort.

AutumnJasmine
July 27th, 2012, 08:36 PM

:rollin:

I have this book on kindle. I have tried some of the recipes but I didn't understand anything about the haircut either.

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 08:39 PM
:rollin:

I have this book on kindle. I have tried some of the recipes but I didn't understand anything about the haircut either.

I was just imagining myself telling the hair dresser to cut my hair like that and her just giving me a dumb look haha

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Couldn't follow that cut, I got lost in the middle of it all.
Vodka/pepper can work just fine and stimulate your scalp if you let alcohol evaporate. You can buy something similar in a pharmacy. Pepper tonic of some sort.

hmm interesting. I still don't think I want to try it, but I guess weird things can work sometimes

Audrey Horne
July 27th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I don't think it's weird... :hmm: not more weird than ACV :D just not as common over here.

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I don't think it's weird... :hmm: not more weird than ACV :D just not as common over here.

I grew up with my mom using ACV to do everything so I guess that has never seemed weird to me :P

so I guess it all depends on how you grew up

Audrey Horne
July 27th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I guess so. I grew up mostly with rye water and eggs :lol: Anyway whatever works.

Kaelee
July 27th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Sounds like a "shag" lol!

PixxieStix
July 28th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Super weird, I could not do a haircut like that.

blondie9912
July 28th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Yeah, that lost me as well. Is it telling you to shear the hair at your scalp to allow hair to grow there? Sounds a bit weird to me

DragonLady
July 28th, 2012, 12:04 PM
She also suggested using vodka mixed with cayenne pepper on your scalp every morning.

Obviously she never read my blog post about the day I put peppers in my hair. Never again!

Kayleigh
July 28th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I've got a book by Maurice Mességué that talks about washing greasy hair with egg yolks and rum. So I'm not completely weirded out by the Vodka idea, but using it everyday seems a bit much to me.
And that haircut has some complicated instructions!! I didn't understand half, no not even a quarter, of it. :P

DragonLady
July 28th, 2012, 12:07 PM
My hair loves egg yolks and beer. But vodka sounds like it would just be drying -and expensive.

HoneyBunBun
July 28th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Hey guys,

I bought this book some months ago. I saw the title in huge bold letters "Grow Hair Fast" so of course I bought it. The book is by Riquette Hofstein. It has tons of all natural recipes , tips and a 7 day program to help your hair grow.

There was on section called "The Magic Haircut". I was wondering if anyone had tried this haircut before?? Maybe they have read the book before? Here are the instructions for the hair cut:

"1) The hairline must be cut with precision and care. Every single hair must be lifted with a comb and cut. Your stylist with comb a thin layer forward and clip, then section another layer forward and clip it even with the first, repeating the process until all the hair has been sectioned and cut from the hairline to the crown. Even if you do it yourself, have your hairline trimmed every three weeks. Just a tiny bit at the ends. Lift your hair with your comb and take tiny snips--even of the fuzz.

2) Once the horizontal layering of the top is complete, the same area must be layered and cut on an angle, vertically from the sides. Work from the front to the back on each side. Such careful distribution of the hair's volume creates a balanced, easily styled look for both men and women.

3) Working from the crown, your stylist will section your hair vertically in small sections. Lift hair and cut over the comb. Alternate cutting vertically with cutting horizontally until you reach the nape.

4) Be careful to integrate the layering from both sides and the crown so that you won't have a strong line across your head. Even fuzz must be combed and clipped to prohibit damage and drying as it grows.

5) Angular cutting at the sides strengthen and shapes hair at the temples. Regular cutting will enable your hair to grow into shape. By the time you complete the 7 step program, the styling patterns of the basic Magic Cut will be established.

By carefully sectioning the hair and clipping the ends of each section horizontally and then re sectioning so that it can be cut vertically, your stylist will be able to create "tunnels" through the under-layers of your hair. This technique provides "lift" --air space-- from underneath so that your new hair will have room to grow. "

I know in this forum most everyone is against getting regular hair cuts, I was just wondering if anyone had tried this out before?? Seems kind of strange and a bit hard for me to follow for some reason.

Did the book offer any pictures, either step-by-step or a finished product? I'm having a really hard time imagining what the end result must look like.
I'm always looking for tips and tricks for my own "perfect" hair cut so when I read things like that I'm definitely intrigued! I agree it most definitely wouldn't make your hair actually grow any faster than any other cut, but I wonder if maybe all that layering makes it look a little more voluminous and *appear* longer? An optical illusion of sorts. Like when you pull your hair into a half-up ponytail at the mid-back of your head, then pull the rest into a low- pony, your hair looks like it must be really long.
Anyway, I definitely want to see if I can pics or a video of this. Very interesting.

MinderMutsig
July 28th, 2012, 03:57 PM
That haircut seems credibly complicated but from that description I think what they are saying is that you need to microtrim and make sure to microtrim all your hair and not just your hemline.

For my hair this is true although I just use the strand-twist-method to trim everything 2-3 times a year and then follow that with a 1 cm trim of the hemline.

jacqueline101
July 28th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I've never heard of it. I believe in trims but that seemed far fetched.

jeanniet
July 28th, 2012, 04:13 PM
That haircut seems credibly complicated but from that description I think what they are saying is that you need to microtrim and make sure to microtrim all your hair and not just your hemline.

For my hair this is true although I just use the strand-twist-method to trim everything 2-3 times a year and then follow that with a 1 cm trim of the hemline.
Now that makes sense, and I confess I don't get every hair when I microtrim. Hair still seems to be growing, so that's all I care about.

Calaelen
July 28th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Speaking as a stylist.

This is the procedure for your basic 90 degree layered cut. (Jennifer Aniston during the 90s)

It will not make hair grow faster. No cut can do this.

It WILL make your very much shorter all over hair look thicker because it completely gets rid of taper and each hair will be blunt cut at the ends, actually making the end of each never before cut hair thicker.

Unless you want a very layered cut, there is nothing magic about it..lol.

ETA: this cut can't be achieve properly on your own. Someone else would have do perform the cuts, but that;s all that is complicated about it.

ETA2: This book seems very out of date, and not at all based on any sort of hair science. I am guessing it was written about 20-30 years ago

jojo
July 28th, 2012, 04:23 PM

But we don't use ACV to grow hair!!:rolleyes:

I don't get this at all, a special cut to grow hair..em isn't that kinda defeating the object of growing??? Sounds a load of rubbish to me!!:confused:

spidermom
July 28th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I think the "magic" would be in actually being able to follow all the instructions.

Audrey Horne
July 28th, 2012, 09:08 PM
But we don't use ACV to grow hair!!:rolleyes:

I don't get this at all, a special cut to grow hair..em isn't that kinda defeating the object of growing??? Sounds a load of rubbish to me!!:confused:
I was talking about pepper OP has mentioned, not the hair cutting process :confused:
Some say that malic acid can speed up the growth process but idk...

Ticky
July 29th, 2012, 01:48 AM
I think the "magic" would be in actually being able to follow all the instructions.

I agree :D Yep, seems pointless.

MinderMutsig
July 29th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Now that makes sense, and I confess I don't get every hair when I microtrim. Hair still seems to be growing, so that's all I care about.

It still wouldn't make your hair grow faster but it can help retain length by stopping damage from traveling up and causing breakage.

So yeah, microtrimming doesn't make your hair grow faster but it can help you obtain long hair faster. Especially if your hair is fine, fragile or damaged.

woolyleprechaun
July 29th, 2012, 03:11 AM
It still wouldn't make your hair grow faster but it can help retain length by stopping damage from traveling up and causing breakage.

So yeah, microtrimming doesn't make your hair grow faster but it can help you obtain long hair faster. Especially if your hair is fine, fragile or damaged.
This sounds pretty good to me! I mistrust anything labeled as 'magic' anyway :rolleyes:
I would love to know if anyone had managed the cut though, it sounds very complicated :confused:

MinderMutsig
July 29th, 2012, 03:46 AM
This sounds pretty good to me! I mistrust anything labeled as 'magic' anyway :rolleyes:
I would love to know if anyone had managed the cut though, it sounds very complicated :confused: Honestly I wouldn't even try. Far too much work and far too complicated. If the point really is microtrimming you can just as well do the strand-twist-thing where you take small strands, twist them, and the trim the ends that stick out all along the length. Follow that with a microtrim of the hemline with Feye's method and you should have trimmed a decent amount of your hair without losing much or any noticeable length.

Dang3rousB3auty
July 29th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Speaking as a stylist.

This is the procedure for your basic 90 degree layered cut. (Jennifer Aniston during the 90s)

It will not make hair grow faster. No cut can do this.

It WILL make your very much shorter all over hair look thicker because it completely gets rid of taper and each hair will be blunt cut at the ends, actually making the end of each never before cut hair thicker.

Unless you want a very layered cut, there is nothing magic about it..lol.

ETA: this cut can't be achieve properly on your own. Someone else would have do perform the cuts, but that;s all that is complicated about it.

ETA2: This book seems very out of date, and not at all based on any sort of hair science. I am guessing it was written about 20-30 years ago

The Book isn't that old actually. It was published in 2004. So I guess unless it took her 12-22 yrs to write the book and just never updated it then I guess she thinks it still works for helping hair growth.

Dang3rousB3auty
July 29th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Did the book offer any pictures, either step-by-step or a finished product? I'm having a really hard time imagining what the end result must look like.
I'm always looking for tips and tricks for my own "perfect" hair cut so when I read things like that I'm definitely intrigued! I agree it most definitely wouldn't make your hair actually grow any faster than any other cut, but I wonder if maybe all that layering makes it look a little more voluminous and *appear* longer? An optical illusion of sorts. Like when you pull your hair into a half-up ponytail at the mid-back of your head, then pull the rest into a low- pony, your hair looks like it must be really long.
Anyway, I definitely want to see if I can pics or a video of this. Very interesting.

There were not any pictures in the book unfortunately. Although, that would have helped me to understand it a lot more :P

proo
July 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I get it -
Comb down all the way around from the crown
Microdust all the way around horizontally parallel to shoulder tops
Then microdust all the way around vertically angled out slightly
I'm gonna try it with small ponies all around

FrannyG
July 29th, 2012, 02:21 PM
It really might not help hair grow faster, but if I'm reading the directions properly, it will snip a bit off of almost every hair, thus leaving them blunt and looking thicker. It might not be as crazy as it sounds. Also, some of the hair, like the baby hairs that never seem to grow at the back of the neck, or the sides of the temple might benefit in the long run from being lightly snipped during regular trims.

It actually sounds like Anthony Morrocco's Blunt Snip Technique, again, only if I'm reading it correctly.

However, I think it would be a painstaking process to do on oneself, and I'm not planning on paying for trims in the near future, but I do think it's interesting. It would be nice to see photos of the cutting process and the finish product so we could really understand it.