PDA

View Full Version : Gray Hair: At what age did you start graying?

hairstuck
July 27th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Gray Hair: At what age did you start graying?

Naturally.... if you didn't color it.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 27th, 2012, 04:05 AM
I got my first grey hair at 21. Began dyeing then and stopped about 4 weeks ago now aged 47. Heaps of silver now, but am enjoying them!

Blackout
July 27th, 2012, 04:47 AM
I started graying at around 15-16 :(

DancingQueen
July 27th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Oops, sorry, I forgot to read the question properly, and answeed wrong! Just ignore my answer to the poll (the first option.) Sorry again.

amanda_the_tall
July 27th, 2012, 07:10 AM
i started at 15... but that's not an option...

Elizabeth
July 27th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Noticed my first white hair at about 30. It quickly developed into a streak of white at my right temple. Hope it all goes white someday.

gratitudinous
July 27th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I don't know exactly, because I've been using henna for the past three years, but I recently realized I have a fair sprinkling of whites in my hairline! I'm happy because I love the bright bright color they are after henna! My Mom was almost completely white in the front and top by the time she was 27, and that seems to be the way my hair is heading.

longNred
July 27th, 2012, 09:06 AM
early 30s for me. too soon. not ready yet. henna till I can come to terms with it... many many many years from now.

sun-kissed
July 27th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I've always dreamed of going silver early; silvers running through my blonde hair, or a streak would be amazing. But my family genetics dictates that my hair will turn from blonde to almost black before I start greying in my 40's. If even that. One grandmother is in her eighties and still has all of her color!

pepperminttea
July 27th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I found my first silver at 16 or 17 I think? I'm 24 now and there's still nothing noticeable.

MintChocChip
July 27th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I got my first grey streak aged 9. Around 5-10 grey hairs. I haven't had any since, but I still have the streak. I used to get teased about it in primary and secondary school, and it went bright pink when I dyed my hair with a semi permanent red when I was 13. :laugh:

BrownEyedBeauty
July 27th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I noticed my first gray at 34. I've developed a few more since then, but not enough for most people to notice unless they were up close and looking for them.

melirod
July 27th, 2012, 11:51 AM
34 maybe. I'm 38 now and they are starting to pop up more and more. I'm considering henna to cover them.

BrightEyes
July 27th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I found my first grey hair around 28. So far I have only 2 or 3.

Naphthylamine
July 27th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I got my first visible silver last year at 22 years old. Well, not silver or gray, they are pure white. Recently I found a white strand that is about hip length, so I assume I actually started growing them before 22.

Nightshade
July 27th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I'm 31 and only found my first silver a year or so ago. I've got a dozen or so now that I can see ^_^

Wow do they sparkle with some henna.

HairySherry
July 27th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I started to get gray hair when I was in high school. It used to really bother and embarrass me (b/c none of my friends had gray hairs and they'd always point them out to me), but I really don't even care anymore. My hubby told me the other day he was going to pull one out when we got home because he couldn't stop staring at it. I told him "don't you dare!" :) I saw someone on here refer to them as "sparklies" - I like that! I'm just a little extra-sparkly now! I've completely come to terms with the fact that I am going to go gray a lot earlier than a lot of women. I think I can pull gray off though, so I invite the challenge. ;)

Catia
July 27th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I can't remember the exact age of my first silvers, but it was late teens. I had a noticeable amount in my mid 20's that transitioned to salt and pepper in late 20's. I am currently 50% grey/silver/white (age 35). I color my hair but my skunk stripe regrowth isn't shy to tell on me :wacko:

I was surprised that 40% (so far) in the poll had their first greys in their late teens. :cool:

HairySherry
July 27th, 2012, 04:23 PM
...I was surprised that 40% (so far) in the poll had their first greys in their late teens. :cool:

Me too! Also... awesome you're a WV girl! I'm a WV girl too, though I don't live there anymore.

Catia
July 27th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Me too! Also... awesome you're a WV girl! I'm a WV girl too, though I don't live there anymore.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I married a man from WV that moved me here :p

I'm mostly from Michigan (military brat) ;)

Hello anyway! :waving:

4C4rly4
July 27th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I found my first gray hair on my 16th birthday, but the lowest age in the poll is 18 so I chose that answer :P

spirals
July 28th, 2012, 02:22 AM
I'm 38 and I just noticed some sparklies within the past year. I can't find them easily; I have to look for them.

XcaliburGirl
July 28th, 2012, 07:14 AM
If by "Start" you mean, found the first gray hair, then I think I was 25.

It's been two years and I've only found a total of 3 hairs, though, so it's not like I'm visibly going gray at the moment. I'm not sure when it will pick up speed. I'm pretty sure my mom was dying her hair before age 40, so I'll likely get a lot more as I move into and through my 30s.

I have notices quite a few golden and reddish hairs near my hairline that didn't used to be there. I wonder if they are starting to transition.

Knotted
July 28th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I'm 28 and still no sparklies so I couldn't vote :(

Ice Fox
July 28th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Strictly speaking I got my first (three) grey hairs when I was twenty six. But then nothing further happened until I was about 42, so that's the age-range I've gone for.

elbow chic
July 28th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I'll be 31 in two days, haven't noticed any yet. Though my hair's base color is light enough that a sprinkling of them might just be going unnoticed.

catamonica
July 28th, 2012, 12:25 PM
My hair is all grey. It started at age forty-five. The dye is slowly coming out. But the grey is going to be steel grey.. I'm using white vinegar mixed with water in a spray bottle. It makes the grey lighter.

FrannyG
July 28th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I started noticing greys when I was about 23. They were very, very noticeable by my 30th birthday. Now my natural hair is pretty much white at the front, top and sides, with bits of my original dark blonde in the back. I colour it, obviously.

AJoifulNoise
July 28th, 2012, 12:52 PM
23. I have many silvers now throughout my hair, but they aren't terribly noticeable to other people. I like 'em! :D

bte
July 28th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I am fortunate in that I jhaven't yet started to get grey hairs in my head hair, but I have a few in my sideburns. I'm 57.

Aredhel77
July 28th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I noticed my first couple of grey hairs about two years ago. I'm now 35. I don't think I've found any new ones yet so the amount has stayed about the same. I have stopped colouring/henna-ing my hair now so I'm interested to see how the grey hairs develop over time. I quite like them :)

KarpatiiSiv
July 28th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Noticed my first white/silver hairs in my late teens/early 20s. Now after more than 30 years I have a lot at the front and sides but hardly any showing through the back. I've never dyed my hair so I've had plenty of time to get used to them. :)

MasCat
July 29th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Got my first grey around 18, but I don't see more.

Charybdis
July 29th, 2012, 08:01 AM
I found my first silver hair at 21; it was already long at that point, so it must have been at least a year old when I noticed it. I have a sprinkling now, but nothing terribly noticeable. The sparklies are part of the reason I quit dying my hair, though -- it seemed like it would be easier to transition now rather than later, and my silvers are very dye-resistant anyway. And I like 'em!

minxe
July 29th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I found my first hair when I was around fourteen. I was sooo distraught, but I've since made peace with them :)

<3OnHerSleeve
July 30th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Oh the irony... I saw this poll yesterday and told myself it didnt apply to me. I got into the car later,looked in the mirror and saw my first white hair. I am only 21 but the pressure of teaching vile students this year and the lies and slander from my ex has been causing me stress for over a year have evidently taken their toll. I am lucky that im a blonette, itll just look like a bleached or natural highlight. I am not going to dye my hair because i have a few whites.... Unless i went completely white by 30.

Simone_Fatale
August 7th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Haven't started graying... yet. Since I've got the exact same hair as my mother and she didn't start graying until she turned 40, I don't think I'll be worrying about grays for a long time. :)

Maybe
August 8th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I voted 18-22 but I was actually only 15 when I develooed my first gray streak. Since then I have about 10 (hard to tell because I colour them). But I am 45 and am.starting to.get some individual.strands graying too. Maybe about 3-5% of my hair is gray.

Asprettyasme
August 8th, 2012, 06:33 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

Curly_jas
August 10th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I'm 23 and for me it was a couple months ago, i found 1 more just a few days ago around the temple area.

NativeGirl
August 10th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I started going gray around 16 years old. If I don't color my hair, it looks like I have tinsel in my hair.

Immera
August 12th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I saw my first silver on my 30th birthday, but it was long, so it was around for a while. Then I found others.
One thing about fine hair, the silvers seem to blend in and aren't very noticible.

AineMuirne
August 12th, 2012, 10:37 AM
No grays yet! My father is 69 and he's just starting to go gray, and my mother started in her late 40s. So hopefully I have quite a while to go.

smrider
August 12th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Just a couple of weeks ago, at the age of 24. I was upset at first but I like it now and don't plan on dyeing it... it's very silvery and has a great texture.

Dark Rapunzel
September 23rd, 2012, 02:41 PM
I'm 21 and I had a couple of gray hairs before finishing high schoo. and now I'm almost salt and pepper but I henna and henndigo so it doesn't show....

Violetta
September 24th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I started graying at the age of 40 (I'm 45 now). This was the time, I gave up colouring my hair cause I'm dreaming of having long silver hair one day.

Tapioca
September 24th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I noticed DH's first gray hair the day we found out I was pregnant.

mira-chan
September 24th, 2012, 08:36 AM
First white hair found at 13. A small crop present by 22.

Mindy
September 24th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I noticed my first grays around 14.

Chimom79
September 24th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I'm 33 and no grey/white hair yet, that I have noticed. I expect it anytime. Lol! I dye usually though, but sometimes I go quite a while and don't.

chloeishere
September 24th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I have two silver hairs, about 2 inches long, at the tender age of 29. :D

piffyanne
September 26th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Found my first grey sometime when I was 21 or so. Then I forgot I had it and re-found it a couple months ago, and got to have the whole "BEHOLD! A SPARKLIE!! :crush:" episode ALL OVER AGAIN! :cheese::eyebrows::cheese::D:cheese:

ETA: Does that mean I count as a Renegray now? ;)

Dars
September 26th, 2012, 03:38 AM
I noticed my first grey at 16.

Marcellaa
September 26th, 2012, 04:28 AM
I voted for 18-22, but that was only because my actual start age wasn't in the poll... I was 16!
I'm 22 now and I dye my hair with henna. It gives an awesome affect with the gray hairs.

Mesmerise
September 26th, 2012, 06:09 AM
I remember finding a gray or two when I was 21, but then didn't notice any more until my late 20s, so I put 22-30 (I tend to see the earlier few as aberrations... like when I'd find a blonde or black hair in amongst the browns). I know by my late 20s I was definitely graying though, although I can't actually put a time/date on it! (I guess I was in denial and just dyed...). I'm hennaing now, and won't be stopping for the foreseeable future!!

Rosetta
September 26th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I'm 40 and haven't had a single grey hair yet. So I guess must wait until I can properly answer this poll :)

(Tbh it always amazes me, on hair boards, how young some people get their first greys! As IRL I don't know anyone who'd got them younger than 35 at least, and most do much later, e.g. my mother has only started getting them now in her mid-60's.)

biogirl87
October 11th, 2012, 07:38 PM
I saw my first gray around two weeks ago and didn't like it the first few days after I saw it but since then has grown to live with it. My mom started getting grays in her hair when she was 25-27, but she didn't have to start coloring until her later thirties. So that gives me hope that it'll be a while before I have to start doing something about my grays.

Ephemeral
October 12th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I've had a streak of silver since I was 18. I didn't start coloring it until I was in my 30's and became single again. And now it looks beautiful with henna!! (Of course, I'm now about 40&#37; silver - that also looks good...)

laurend1985
October 12th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I started at 18 or 19 and I started coloring it in my 30's.

itdontmatter48
October 12th, 2012, 05:47 PM
If I remember correctly my beautician told me I had grey hairs when I was 23, dyed my hairs many times since then, but have not in quite some time. Causes too much damage!

Windflower
October 12th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I was age 18 and sitting in computer class at college. My friend behind me snickered and told me I had a grey hair. I said, "No way! Where?" She pulled it around for me to see and there it was in all its pure white, sparkly glory. I have been finding a few more every year since then.

piffyanne
October 13th, 2012, 01:24 AM
I notice a trend a lot of people don't expect: a lot of people get their first grey sometime in their early twenties or late tweens, it seems!

I wish we could pass this on, so few people know. :/

Noctifer
October 13th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Found my first white hair a couple days ago. But for what i know it will be about ten more years before I'm getting noticeable gray, as none in my family has had more then very few grey hair before there mid 30's

W2
October 13th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Found my first gray hairs at 14!

rock007junkie
October 13th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I had some in my teens but they became really pronounced as I approached my 30s.

Anywhere
October 13th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I noticed my first white hair when I was 18, so last year. I haven't seen any other ones yet, but I don't really go looking for them.

Kat
October 13th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Well, I'm 29. I just started noticing some gray hairs near my hairline a few months ago... and they're still less than 6" long, so I assume they came about just this year.

Of course, it's possible I've had them elsewhere on my head that I couldn't see before this. But my mom tends to have her grays mostly around her face-- around her face she's all gray/white, but in the back she still has plenty of dark hair. So it makes sense that my first ones might be near the front of my head/my face as well.

My mom thinks I'm a late bloomer, though-- she found her first gray hair at 21.

As far as I can tell, they're a lovely silver color. I noticed them because when I looked in the mirror, they seemed to catch the light differently than the rest of my hair (which has more of a gold tone). Finally they got long enough for me to grab one and look at it-- yup, silver! (some of my hairs are such a pale gold that they look white until you look close, but this one was unmistakable upon close inspection.) So I'm hoping it all goes a pretty sparkly silver color. It must be noticeable in sunlight because once my mom and I were standing in the parking lot of her apartment building talking to her neighbor, when all of a sudden the neighbor exclaimed loudly, "Wow girl, you got some gray hair going on there!" Gosh, let's tell the whole world... :)

Not sure how I feel about them, though. I've never been real big on the two-tone (gold/silver) effect in jewelry, so not sure how I'll feel about it on my head when I have enough gray to be really noticeable. :) Especially if I do end up like my mom, with a lot of original color in back but gray/silver in front. It might be a kind of strange look (her hair is at least quite dark so the silver/gray doesn't look quite so clash-y). Also, I'm a warm, so I'm not sure how silver hair will suit me.

I knew a girl in college who had lovely silver hairs evenly interspersed here and there through her dark-brown hair. It was a really pretty effect.

JamieLeigh
November 28th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I was in my late 20's when I saw my first grey hair. They are just now starting to show up all over, at age 32. :)

neko_kawaii
November 28th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I noticed my first gray hair in my mid twenties when it fell out. I'm always sad when I see one of the few grays has fallen out. Come on wisdom, you are supposed to stay on my head!

Anje
November 28th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Found my first silver at 12, and it was a good foot long. :)

But they only started accumulating in my late 20s, so that's where I voted. I blame grad school!

Rusalka
November 28th, 2012, 01:55 PM
First silver at 25. I am silver in tiny patches on top of my head but nowhere else. I wish it would just go silver than I could colour it some interesting colour or go truly red with henna :)

jackie75
November 28th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I found (well, by best friend found, lol) quite a few whites on my head when I was barely 20. First time I dyed to cover them up I was 24, and I saw my virgin hair only once since then when I got a pixie a couple of years ago...a mix of grey and white, and not very pretty at all to me.

cathair
November 28th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Voted 18 -22 but the poll doesn't go low enough, it was actually 15. Might have noticed so early because my hair is so dark. 27 now and have white streaks forming, all seems to go white rather than grey.

ashke50
November 29th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I found my first silver streak at 15, but that was caused by a scalp infection. Does it count? I still have the silver streak, although the infection is long gone!

AutumnLocks
November 29th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Started graying in my late 30's. Colored until about 6 years ago. Now I am totally natural. Last cut was almost 3 years ago. I'm enjoying my silver strands. All of mine seems to be comin in at the temples.

froglet
December 2nd, 2012, 12:22 AM
I saw my first gray strand at 24. A friend of mine was walking by my cubicle and work and reached over and yanked it out! Ouch, some friend!

mermaid-nina
December 2nd, 2012, 03:10 PM
I had about 6 at 12. Now 27, I can't part my hair to cover them as they are dotted around everywhere! I have given up pulling them out though, as they are coarser than the rest of my hair and stick out when they grow back. Have also given up dying - I like my natural colour and can never match it up, and end up with the greys staying grey and the rest either redder or darker than my natural colour.
My little brother went grey younger than I did, not sure when his first popped up. But at 21 he is definately salt and pepper. Bless him.

Happytresses
December 4th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I started graying at about 36. This year I decided no more dyes. The gray hairs are really thick and pretty and at 40 I dont have the energy for the upkeep.

Yozhik
December 4th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Ooh! I just saw this poll today!

I actually got my first white hair at 16, but only had that one until this year (25), when I discovered about 3 more. I'm happy with my 4 white hairs, but not looking to acquire more for the meantime. :)

Dovetail
December 4th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I spotted my husbands first grey at 24, he has a couple more now, each one is named after me or his sisters :p

Venefica
December 4th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I am 30 I have no gray hair but then I dye my hair so it would not be that easy to see them if I did. I have not found any gray hairs in my roots though, but I have found one stark white one.

Sunshineliz
December 4th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I noticed the first at 20, but it was long enough to be around much longer. It stayed in one streak for a few years then expanded to several and now it is working on taking over. I'm 34 (still! Birthday coming up really soon, but I will insist on 34 until the last moment)

We all went gray young in the family, but the earliest was my sister who was 14 for her first gray hair.

Venefica
December 4th, 2012, 05:46 PM
We have an either or in my family when it comes to hair. One group have very thick hair which grow fast and wild with coarse hairs, the other have thin what my mother like to call angel hair. We also do the same with graying hair, one part of the family start to gray young, while the other do not, one of my grand aunts where as honey blond the day she died well into her 80's as she had always been, my mother is 60 and she has gray at he temples but is a brunette elsewhere with a stray gray hair here and there. It do not seam to matter if we are of the type that have thick hair or the type that have thin though for if we end up in the gray early or late category. Also one small part of the family get stark white hair, not gray but snow white.

UP Lisa
December 13th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Amazing to see that people started graying at such young ages!

Kristen121
December 13th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I noticed my first gray hair when I was 26. I am now 30 and will notice the odd gray here or then on occasion, but I wouldn't say I am "going gray" yet.

Arden
December 13th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I got my first gray hair when I was 21. I remember because my ex husband pulled it out randomly at the grocery store. I'm 31 almost 32 now and its streaked threw like highlights. Most people think that's what they are at first.

mamaherrera
May 3rd, 2013, 12:04 PM
I started at 28, I think from stress and not sleeping. hormones and thyroid. BUt now at 32, I have more of them than my age, the last year they've come on with a vengeance, so I dont' know if I can slow them down now, I guess I can say I"m graying. My problem is that whereever I pull my hair back , you can see the roots, and if I open up my hair, I find them easily which makes me wonder if I"m losing my hair as well. You guys sound like with 30-40 white hairs, no one notices them ,but mine are easy to find!! Hard to grow old!

sisi33
May 3rd, 2013, 01:04 PM
Started at 22, but I'm pretty sure that I have less than 10 total. But I know that all of the women from my mothers' side started to go grey at a very early age.

shutterpillar
May 4th, 2013, 06:24 PM
I found my first silver hair at around 23 years old. They could have been around before I was 23, but I let my hair grow out to its natural color when I was that age, so that may be why I noticed them then.

sapphire-o
May 5th, 2013, 01:26 AM
I was 30 when I found the first piece of gray hair, so that's what I voted. But I've only got one more (two piece total) in 10 years. I'm not sure if that even count as "going gray". I don't expect to be "going gray" until at least 45 - 50. My mom found her first gray hair at 49. My dad about 45.

CurlyMopTop
May 5th, 2013, 07:08 AM
I was 40 when I found my first white hair. I guess I totally skipped grey. Lol. Since I fall into 2 categories, I chose the later. I started using Henna shortly after. :D

Savvyhorsez
May 5th, 2013, 07:20 AM
There isn't a poll option for me so I didn't vote, but I started to tinsel over when I was around 14 years old.

loveisdivine
May 14th, 2013, 04:53 AM
I had the occasional gray since I was sixteen, however I'm now at 26 and they are becoming much more frequent. I'm starting to get a good few at the front along my parting. I dont mind them. They are more like silver/white than gray.

arelrios
May 14th, 2013, 10:09 AM
I would say before 18. I had a couple, now at 30 they are really showing. Specially on my crown and sides. You can actually see them on my braids and along my parting (either right or left) Before the LHC, DH would pull them out. We would have "pulling grays sessions". He would get at least 30. My hairs are not grays, more like white/silver. Not sure if because the rest of my hair is dark.
See below:
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii576/arelrios/a874d952-81fe-4de3-9f1f-54fcdfa6c1d6_zps0284b66e.jpg
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii576/arelrios/de3add0d-597e-4ce6-b301-a1878b3b0b47_zps9e2cbf91.jpg

chen bao jun
June 24th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I got my first gray hair at about age 28. Then I didn't get another one until age 40 or so. I'm 55 now and still have very little grey--so few you can still count them and they are not worth bothering to dye. If I follow my Dad's family pattern they will start to be noticeable at age 65-70 and I will be salt and pepper in my 80's. My Dad died at age 70 and he really did not have noticeable gray yet. But some family members in their 90's have had beautiful completely silver hair by that time. It just takes us awhile!
People assume at this point that I must be dyeing my hair if they know how old I am and I just don't say anything unless directly asked.

ImDeeba
July 7th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I started at 16 -.-
After my O level exams, I think stress has to do alot with greying of the hair :'(

Zebra Fish
July 9th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Already arround 22-23 :( Have few now, still not too noticable fortunately.

Teazel
July 9th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I found my first grey hairs when I was about 14, but that's not an option in the poll so I chose 18-22.

browneyedsusan
July 9th, 2013, 07:57 AM
I didn't vote.

Who knows? I've colored it all of my adult life! (I've got a nice collection of gray now, though :wink:)

Ascha
July 9th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Around 30, perhaps before that. Not gray but white!

mamaherrera
July 9th, 2013, 10:04 AM
I started at 16 -.-
After my O level exams, I think stress has to do alot with greying of the hair :'(

Gosh darn that stress. How to get rid of that, no clue. I wish that hair could turn back to it's normal color if we stress less. Could it be possible?? I've heard of people reversing it, but as for me. . . . I just keep getting more and they keep coming in close to the hairline, what's up with that?????

restless
July 9th, 2013, 10:23 AM
I found my first silver hair when I was 25, but it was almost 5 inches long so it had probably been around for quite some time. I was actually really excited to find it, because I think theyre so very pretty. Some time later I found my second silver, followed by number 3, 4 and 10. Somewhere along the road, I stopped counting and here I am now. They blend in well with my natural hair colour and you cant really tell theyre there unless I point them out, but I like them and look forward to getting more of them :)

Salmonberry
July 9th, 2013, 10:30 AM
I found the first one at 23. It was only 3 inches long. Then I found the second one a week later and it was 8 or 9 inches long. It must have been growing since I was at least 22, possibly 21. I still marked 22-30 though.

I read somewhere that the average age for women to start graying was 35. When I read that I freaked out! Looking at these results makes me feel like less of a freak. I guess I'm more normal than I thought. :)

ExpectoPatronum
July 9th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I'm 22 and...*knock on wood* so far, I haven't found any grays. There could be some I just can't see/haven't found.

Medusa
July 9th, 2013, 07:43 PM
About 18. I'm now 35 and I estimate 1/4 to 1/3 of my hair is now grey.

Brittany
July 9th, 2013, 09:53 PM
I just stopped coloring my hair last summer at age 18 and as my roots grew out I noticed about 7 white hairs! I don't mind at all though, I think they're pretty! Definitely unique when we live in a world where many people dye their hair. All I can hope for is a silver streak at some point! ;)

HumanBean
July 9th, 2013, 11:44 PM
I voted 18-22 but I spotted my first white hair (they seem to be white, not gray) at 15. Until last year I always plucked them out. Now I'm leaving them.

mamaherrera
July 10th, 2013, 10:18 AM
I voted 18-22 but I spotted my first white hair (they seem to be white, not gray) at 15. Until last year I always plucked them out. Now I'm leaving them.

How many years did you pluck them??

alanna.
July 10th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I found my first grays last year (age 27) after my thyroid died.

FuzzyBlackWaves
July 11th, 2013, 06:36 AM
No greys for me yet, although my mum went grey at 21 and my dad began to grey at 40.

lulana
July 11th, 2013, 06:40 AM
my first few greys came up when i was about the age of 18 but i used to pull them out, now I'm nearly 30 and I don't do that anymore, i got 3 white hairs around my face and i like them a lot, even if my environment don't like it

Celtic Morla
July 11th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Can't answer I was 13....

Sowka
July 11th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Hi :) I got my first grey hair when I was 25. I then started hennaing, then dyeing, then henna again, then dye again... And in November 2011, I had my hair cut and let my natural color come back again. And I love it: My Shades of Grey (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sowka/8373706371/lightbox/) ;) Growing now....

floorlonghair
July 28th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I was 10 when I started to grey

Inkspot
July 28th, 2014, 04:23 PM
I found my first at 7 but they became much more noticeable at 13. My classmates made absolute sure I knew about it :rolleyes:

Hibernis
August 4th, 2014, 08:09 AM
I was 11. They're slowly but surely coming in, though in the last year or so they're coming in much faster.

The coolest thing with long hair is that you can trace some of them from dark to gray :)

LLicious85
August 5th, 2014, 08:46 AM
I really feel for the girls that started getting grey hair from 15 or 16. Heck, even 20 seems exceedingly young. How did you all cope with this? Was it something you were non-plussed by? Did you dye and forget about it? Did you get really miserable? Did everyone (or anyone for that matter) comment on it?

Hibernis
August 5th, 2014, 10:10 AM
I expected it because genetics. I cried a lot because I thought it was going to be a dingy and sad process, but I felt better once I realized that going gray for me meant I get tinsel-like strands in my hair.

I got teased a lot. I was also the fat nerdy girl so it was sort of an add-on. Now I like talking about how awesome my gray hair is to encourage others to embrace theirs :)

DreamSheep
August 5th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Last year, a day before my 20th birthday, my best friend plucked out what was supposedly a white hair. I've still got it somewhere with the intention of seeing whether it is indeed a white hair, or just a really light blonde hair.

My father started graying very early on (18), whereas my mother is nearly 60 and is barely peppered.
Of course, I'm hoping I'll take after my Mum :p

Zindell
August 5th, 2014, 11:41 AM
I can't answer the poll since I'm 47 and have no gray hairs as of yet. I love my blonde hair but when the silvers are starting to come in I'll embrace them as well. I can totally see myself with a long silver mane in the future! :)

Scarlet_Heart
August 5th, 2014, 01:14 PM
I spotted my first gray hair at 14 or 15. I'm 30 now and have a few, but you can't see them just looking at me. You'd really have to look for them. I thought for sure I'd be pretty gray by now when I started spotting them in my teens. But even if they start coming on faster now, I'm not too worried about it. I think I'll probably just let it grow out, but if I hate it there's always hair color.

amanda_the_tall
August 5th, 2014, 01:58 PM
I spotted my first gray hair at 14 or 15. I'm 30 now and have a few, but you can't see them just looking at me. You'd really have to look for them. I thought for sure I'd be pretty gray by now when I started spotting them in my teens. But even if they start coming on faster now, I'm not too worried about it. I think I'll probably just let it grow out, but if I hate it there's always hair color.

I too found my first at 15. I'm turning 23 in a few months, and I now have a few silvers that are full length, but most of mine are still shorter than the rest of my hair. I haven't noticed if I've grown a lot more or not, but my boyfriend and his sister notice them now...

EarthArtist
August 5th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Oh great story!! 19 years old making out with my boyfriend. Stops and looks at my hair and says. "You have a gray hair". ARRRRGGGGGG!!! Needless to say we did not last very long 😡😤

leilani
August 6th, 2014, 05:37 AM
I'm 34&I thought I had years before gray hair became an issue. I have been set straight!
But my blonde mother didn't get any until her mid forties, which looked like she had her hair frosted a bit, so I guess silvery on blonde. By fifties it was noticeable as silvering from age, and then now at 68 is spectacular silver& blonde. In some lighting it's just like her light blonde hair she once had, and in others very ethereal white and silver. Beautiful and long. Lovely former hippie. I need to let my dark ash blonde(tte) hair grow out before my white/silver hairs start so I can have a similar journey.

Fiorentina
June 6th, 2023, 03:57 PM
Ages 18-22, or may be earlier...

clairenewcastle
June 11th, 2023, 11:24 AM
I found my first grey hair when I was 27. My father had died a couple of months before I found the hair and I put it down to my grief.

mochichichi
June 11th, 2023, 12:18 PM
When I was 8 the lady cutting my hair said "oh I found a gray hair. That's a sign that you will be very wise." I have found grays every few years since, recently I've been finding some hairs that are gray only in the middle or only on the end.

Ylva
June 12th, 2023, 07:54 AM
I can't vote yet as I don't have any greys (turning 30 in 3 days), but the poll results are interesting! It's good to see that it's not at all uncommon to get your first greys very young.

I think my parents both started greying in their 50s, but don't quote me on that. They might have had some grey sprinkles that I just didn't pay any attention to. My dad is pretty much fully gray now at 60. It happened very fast for him - huge change in just a few years! My mom, 69, is only gray at her temples.

Fiorentina
June 12th, 2023, 08:28 AM
I can't vote yet as I don't have any greys (turning 30 in 3 days), but the poll results are interesting! It's good to see that it's not at all uncommon to get your first greys very young.

I think my parents both started greying in their 50s, but don't quote me on that. They might have had some grey sprinkles that I just didn't pay any attention to. My dad is pretty much fully gray now at 60. It happened very fast for him - huge change in just a few years! My mom, 69, is only gray at her temples.

How nice, Ylva, thank you for sharing it.
If we don`t meet each other around the forums that day, please let me giving you a warm birthday hug now to make sure you gut it :)
Regards
Fiorentina

MusicalSpoons
June 12th, 2023, 05:46 PM
I noticed my first white hair when I turned 30. It and a couple of others had grown since at least 29 but they didn't really start multiplying until after 30. I've also had hairs that may or may not be white blonde or depigmented, but they are extremely diffi to pin down so I didn't really count them for this. I'm currently 33 and noticing a decent sprinkling of white hairs now, yay :bounce: [Though I know I have a LONG way to go until it being noticeable, I'm just pleased to be finding these.]

My Mum found her first grey hair at 16 and started greying in her late 20s, but some of that may have been trauma and grief. I'm not sure about Dad, but he's certainly been going grey since at least his fifties but probably sooner. It's hard to tell from any pictures before that - same with Mum, in pictures, but she's told me. My paternal grandmother was fully white by her 60s, as is Dad now too.

lapis_lazuli
June 12th, 2023, 07:14 PM
I always say 2020 gave me my first grey hair because that's when I found it, at the end of the year :lol: I was in my early 20s. I think I now have a dozen or so scattered throughout my hair. I actually like them, especially now that they're long enough to fit into my updos. I think they look cool.

floridaorchid
June 12th, 2023, 07:35 PM
I'm hoping I'll find one soon as I approach my 30s, but my mom is 57 and still not gray and my dad was mostly a deep brunette at 61.
I don't think I'll get one soon, but I hope

Ylva
June 13th, 2023, 04:51 AM
How nice, Ylva, thank you for sharing it.
If we don`t meet each other around the forums that day, please let me giving you a warm birthday hug now to make sure you gut it :)
Regards
Fiorentina

Thank you kindly, Fiorentina! :grouphug:

rosenester
June 13th, 2023, 02:29 PM
I noticed a few gray/white hairs around 25, and one of my eyebrow hairs went white around then as well (still the only one though!). I have a few sparkles I notice once in a while, but no idea how many I have now (at 38). However, one of my sheds recently shocked me that it looked bleached the entire length until I realized it was white the entire length. :wink:

FlowerMoonFairy
June 14th, 2023, 03:59 PM
I found my first white hair growing in at the beginning of last year (I was 28 then) I have about 3 now all around the same spot close to my temple on my right side :) , I enjoy them.

baanoo
June 14th, 2023, 05:00 PM
35-40 - I was (...37? 38? when did COVID start? :doh: ) when I found my first, though in the interest of full disclosure/vanity I only have a handful of strands and will be 40 in a few weeks.

Maiden Fair
June 14th, 2023, 07:15 PM
Found my first white hair at 17. They came in pretty slowly at first, but after a particularly stressful few years in my mid-20s I started noticing more, and now after Covid I have lots. Or at least it feels like lots when I see pictures of myself, since they show up so starkly in my dark hair. :laugh:

Bat
June 15th, 2023, 05:32 PM
I got my first grey at 25 but it wasn't till 35 that it started taking over