PDA

View Full Version : My First Roller Set! (Pics) :-)

moltabella
July 27th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Hey Everyone ~~

Just wanted to share my first roller set experience.

First off, I wanna say that I officially swore off heat styling in May of this year, so i've been wearing my hair pretty much natural all the time, which is really curly. I love how soft it's gotten, and how healthy it looks, but I missed changing up the style. So, I decided to try a fun, non-damaging, non-heat way to give my hair big loose curls.

I think it came out great and it was really, really, easy!

As a reference, here's a pic of my natural hair, just air dried.

http://i.imgur.com/2e1c1.jpg

FOR THE ROLLER SET:

First, I started off with a CWC.

Then, I used velcro large and medium sized rollers to roll my wet hair and then I put a sheer head scarf over it.

This is how it looked all rolled up on my head:

http://i.imgur.com/ChgZ9.jpg

I then alternated air drying with the blow drier on a low, cool setting (i'd only use it for about 20 min. at a time)

Total drying took me 4 hours.

This is how it looked right after removing the rollers:

http://i.imgur.com/rLhde.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rmLF4.jpg

Then, I did some minor styling, just separated some of the curls and moved pieces around how I wanted them. And this is the final, finished result:

http://i.imgur.com/WpJUHl.jpg

I'm REALLY happy with the results! I am definitely doing this again, as it's fairly easy to do, just takes time waiting in rollers for it to dry.

The next thing I want to try is using Rollers or a wrapping technique to straighten my hair heat and damage free :]

Thanks for checking out my pics! :]

caiti42
July 27th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Pretty :)

kitekats
July 27th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Your hair looks very good, those rollers really makes your curls look more defined and tidy :)

KittyBird
July 27th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Your hair looks beautiful! :)

lmfbs
July 27th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Can I go against the grain and say I'm SO in love with your natural hair instead? Gosh, there's nothing you need to do to change that!

In saying that, I totally understand the desire for something different and the roller curls look nice too :)

Carolyn
July 27th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Your hair looks great! But be aware that velcro rollers are very damaging. The velcro grabs on to the hair and shreds it. You might want to look into some other kind of roller if you plan to keep on setting your hair on a regular basis.

afu
July 27th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Your hair looks great! But be aware that velcro rollers are very damaging. The velcro grabs on to the hair and shreds it. You might want to look into some other kind of roller if you plan to keep on setting your hair on a regular basis.

I was thinking of experimenting with using large rollers to straighten out my hair, do you haver any suggestions for anything more hair friendly?

Carolyn
July 27th, 2012, 05:53 AM
I was thinking of experimenting with using large rollers to straighten out my hair, do you haver any suggestions for anything more hair friendly?I use either Caruso rollers or I do a wet set. I use a combination of magnetic rollers, mesh rollers with the brushes taken out, and tomato paste cans. I use the tomato paste cans because I can't find that diameter magnetic roller. Sallys carries magnetic rollers.

afu
July 27th, 2012, 06:01 AM
I use either Caruso rollers or I do a wet set. I use a combination of magnetic rollers, mesh rollers with the brushes taken out, and tomato paste cans. I use the tomato paste cans because I can't find that diameter magnetic roller. Sallys carries magnetic rollers.

Thank you :) I might try making my own then, we don't have a sallys here

moltabella
July 27th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I use the tomato paste cans because I can't find that diameter magnetic roller.

Reminds me of when Lady Gaga had her hair rolled in Coke Cans in the Telephone video! lol

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments! <3 <3 <3

moltabella
July 27th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Can I go against the grain and say I'm SO in love with your natural hair instead? Gosh, there's nothing you need to do to change that!

In saying that, I totally understand the desire for something different and the roller curls look nice too :)

aww Thanks. I also love my natural hair :p This was just something I tried to mix things up :]

moltabella
July 27th, 2012, 08:55 AM

I realized this after the fact..unrolling the hair, i had a littler breakage.

I was thinking of using those big plastic rollers from the beauty supply...

have you ever used rollers to straighten?

jacqueline101
July 27th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I love the curls. I'm a foam roller fan myself.

MintChocChip
July 27th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Gorgeous, gorgeous hair! It looks very pretty! I didn't know velcro rollers were damaging either. Just another reason why I need to invest in some Caruso rollers I think ;)

ETA: I've just looked Caruso rollers up on amazon again and I've just remembered why I didn't buy them last time, I think you need a plug adaptor because they're from the US. :(

PixxieStix
July 27th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Oh how cool, I think you experiment was a huge success, and your hair is just lovely. :)

BrightEyes
July 27th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Your curls are beautiful (natural and roller set made:)).

I second the suggestion of Caruso steam rollers. They give me soft bouncy curls without any damage. I love them.

kitschy
July 27th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Lovely! It reminds me of the 1960's when shiny hair from roller sets was the norm.

afu
July 27th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Your result looks so beautiful, I just had to try it myself. I'm visiting my mum and sister at the moment so I borrowed sisters velcro rollers - I didn't even get past the first one after experimenting putting it in and out, the way the velcro grapped my hair sounded so horrendous I just couldn't face it :( Definitly going to try experimenting with some other rollers/cans though. I've heard carusos are brilliant but out of my price range right now

moltabella
July 27th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Your result looks so beautiful, I just had to try it myself. I'm visiting my mum and sister at the moment so I borrowed sisters velcro rollers - I didn't even get past the first one after experimenting putting it in and out, the way the velcro grapped my hair sounded so horrendous I just couldn't face it :( Definitly going to try experimenting with some other rollers/cans though. I've heard carusos are brilliant but out of my price range right now

i'm sure plastic magnetic rollers are a great cheap alternative!

Dovetail
July 27th, 2012, 10:41 AM
That looks so lovely! I think ill try some curls for work today!

Colourful
July 27th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Veery pretty! :)

lapushka
July 27th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Beautiful rollerset, but I have to say I love your natural texture too! Such nice curls! :)

heidi w.
July 27th, 2012, 12:09 PM
To get different kinds of curls (size of curl, direction of curl, etc.) you can experiment with size of rollers, direction you roll the hair (over or under) and experiment with hair parts and hair sectioning...

heidi w.

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Your hair looks awesome. My hair never looks that good when I have curled it with hot rollers(mine also heated up in the container they came from so you put them on hot, so I know it's applying way too much heat to your hair really), did you apply any products to help hold the curl? I know I have to or the curls will fall in a couple hours.

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 12:41 PM

You could try paper bag cut into strips to curl your hair. Or I have these curlers(I can't remember what they are called) that have a spongey square in the middle and they have a wire running through it so you can twist it secure. You could also try strips of fabric.

I would usually probably apply these with damp hair and sleep with it over night. If you didn't want to use any heat on your hair.

moltabella
July 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Your hair looks awesome. My hair never looks that good when I have curled it with hot rollers(mine also heated up in the container they came from so you put them on hot, so I know it's applying way too much heat to your hair really), did you apply any products to help hold the curl? I know I have to or the curls will fall in a couple hours.

no, I have naturally curly hair... so just doing it wet from the shower was enough.

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 01:16 PM
no, I have naturally curly hair... so just doing it wet from the shower was enough.

ahh ok makes sense haha :)

dawnss
July 27th, 2012, 02:13 PM
You have beautiful curls. I really like the rollerset though to. I like doing them.

Carolyn
July 27th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I realized this after the fact..unrolling the hair, i had a littler breakage.

I was thinking of using those big plastic rollers from the beauty supply...

have you ever used rollers to straighten?Yes, I guess you didnt' read my post in this thread about magnetic rollers from Sallys? Sallys sells them in quite a few sizes. I use tomato paste cans also as there is a big jump in roller sizes.

lapushka
July 27th, 2012, 02:59 PM
About the using rollers to straighten bit; I think I have the largest velcro rollers they have and they might be suited towards that purpose. They're 3 inches in diameter and they're blue. Found them on e-bay a long time ago.

akilina
July 27th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Wow, It looks great!!
I love your natural curls, but I also love that you loosened them up a bit with your rollers :]

ClassicalBlonde
July 27th, 2012, 07:24 PM
What beautiful curls! I wish I could get my hair to curl like that! Maybe I'll have to give it a try :)

spirals
July 27th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Beautiful either way--roller set or no. I do like the retro vibe the roller set has.

Quixii
July 28th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Wow, beautiful natural hair and beautiful roller set curls! :)

Amber_Maiden
July 28th, 2012, 06:42 AM
very pretty!!!

moltabella
July 31st, 2012, 08:37 AM
Thank you everyone who commented :cheer:

y'all made me blush :oops::flower:

Louise148
July 31st, 2012, 08:44 AM
Those curls are stunning. I hope when mine is long enough to do things like this, it looks as good as yours does.

snowtale
August 2nd, 2012, 03:06 AM
Pretty! I need to get rollers! ;)