PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong here?

Texas Kass
July 26th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I have BSL, type 1c/2a, fine to medium, ii thickness hair. I shampoo only 2 or 3 times per week, and when I do, use just a small amount and only massage it into my scalp. I then use globs upon globs of conditioner and let it sit for about 5 minutes before rinsing. I don't use cold water because I find cold showers highly unpleasant, but I don't let the hot water touch my hair. I turn it down to barely lukewarm for my hair. When I dry my hair, I first squeeze out excess water with my hands. I don't briskly rub a towel all over my hair. I simply place it on my head and fold it around my length to absorb moisture. I then finger-comb my hair and wait until it dries more before using a wide-toothed comb to gently comb it from the ends up. This has been my normal routine for 2 years.

More recently, I have discovered S&D, which I have been doing for a couple of months now. I got so fed up with it that I decided to cut layers into my hair, thinking it would get rid of a lot of the split ends. I just did my third henna application, which I started doing because I thought it would prevent split ends. Yet, I've found a whole new slew of split ends, even in my new layers!

There are a couple of factors that are beyond my control: I live in West Texas. It's a very dry climate, and it's almost always very windy. Also, the water is very hard.

What, within reason, can I do to protect my hair and prevent split ends that I'm not doing? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

ratgirldjh
July 26th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Welcome to LHCF! :)

I also live in Texas and we have hard water too and it can be quite windy. If it is windy I wear my hair up. I never let my hair flap around in the wind. I have no idea what it would do to my hair but I can't stand the feeling of my hair in my face!

I would suggest wearing your hair up or in a braid or if it is really bad under a scarf or bandana.

Also to help with our hard water I always do a final rinse with filtered water. This really helps me. My sisters refuse to do this and they have split ends galore.

You might also find a less harsh shampoo. I can't even use shampoo myself just about all of them make my hair fall out and the few that didn't fried the ends of my hair.

Or you could try diluting your shampoo or CO washing instead.

pepperminttea
July 26th, 2012, 05:43 PM
How sharp are your scissors? Using blunt ones will create more splits.

Is your comb seamless? (If you feel it with your finger tips, is it completely smooth with no rough edges?)

How often do you wear your hair up? When you do, what do you use?

Sorry about the barrage of questions. I'm brain storming. :) Welcome to LHC!

Elizabeth
July 26th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Welcome Texas Kass! I can’t speak for the Texas climate, but thought I respond since I’ve had major issues with split ends in the past. A few things really made a difference for me.

First, as someone already said, check your comb for seams. This seemed strange to me when someone first told me about it, but the seams on combs really are sharp enough to cut your hair.

Second, I found that when I washed my hair with conditioner only (CO), I had far less dryness and therefore a reduction in split ends. It takes a while for your scalp to adjust, so give yourself at least four weeks of trying this before deciding if it works for you.

Lastly, I found wearing my hair up a huge help, not just for split ends, but for breakage as well. Again, it’s important to make sure whatever you use to put your hair up doesn’t have seams. I’ve used an emery board to file down rough edges on some of my hair toys, but prefer to just buy things that are hair friendly.

Hang in there and good luck with your growing journey!

Madora
July 26th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Perhaps catnip rinses might help you. Here's a link to Ktani's article:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

Split ends are caused by lack of moisture in your hair or by mechanical damage. Since you use lots of conditioner, dryness shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe your comb or brush is the culprit. Nylon bristles are not hair friendly and combs should be inspected for any seams.

When you S and D, be sure that your shears are sharp. Dull shears can just sew another crop of white dot damage.

To help protect your ends, you might want to consider oiling them with mineral oil (aka baby oil) to help keep them lubricated. You only need a drop or two..just make sure the MO you use is just mineral oil plus a fragrance.

If you use a brush, always use a wide tooth comb before using the brush.

Hope you find the solution to your problem!

Texas Kass
July 26th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Wow, thank y'all for the warm welcome! I just checked my comb for seams, and it's pretty smooth. I do have a filter pitcher, and I don't know why I didn't think of using that water for rinsing before. I just changed my shampoo and conditioner. I'm now using Simply U, which is sulfate-free, but is also pretty cheap and from Walmart. It's too early to tell how well it's working, but hopefully it works out well. If not, I'll try diluting the shampoo with conditioner. I wear my hair down at home, but when I go outside, I usually put it in a ponytail (without the metal connector) just to keep it from blowing in my face. I can see why a ponytail wouldn't be sufficient to protect the hair, though. I've recently started trying braids, but they don't look very good with my layered hair sticking out in chunks here and there. However, if it might make a difference in split ends and breakage, I'll do it anyway.
Again, thank all of you for your input.

Wildcat Diva
July 26th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Wow, thank y'all for the warm welcome! I just checked my comb for seams, and it's pretty smooth. I do have a filter pitcher, and I don't know why I didn't think of using that water for rinsing before. I just changed my shampoo and conditioner. I'm now using Simply U, which is sulfate-free, but is also pretty cheap and from Walmart. It's too early to tell how well it's working, but hopefully it works out well. If not, I'll try diluting the shampoo with conditioner. I wear my hair down at home, but when I go outside, I usually put it in a ponytail (without the metal connector) just to keep it from blowing in my face. I can see why a ponytail wouldn't be sufficient to protect the hair, though. I've recently started trying braids, but they don't look very good with my layered hair sticking out in chunks here and there. However, if it might make a difference in split ends and breakage, I'll do it anyway.
Again, thank all of you for your input.
Hey, welcome. I live on the Gulf Coast south of Houston. It's windy, but humid. I use catnip and I am hoping that helps with splits, so you might try that for the long haul. My suggestion is to discover updos to protect your hair. Hairtoys make it more fun (and a bit obsessive if you don't watch out). Layers might make this a challenge but I think that might make a difference, and it's really nice to learn a new skill.

Texas Kass
July 26th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Madora, I've never heard of using catnip for hair, but it sounds interesting. Thanks for the link. I don't use a brush, and my comb is pretty smooth. I think my hair scissors are pretty sharp. I bought them specifically for hair, and they seemed sharper than the other ones in the price range of $6-$10 at Walmart. I haven't tried a mineral oil, but I do like to use a coconut oil after I S&D. I might try it. Is it better than using coconut oil? Thank you very much!

Texas Kass
July 26th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Madora, I've never heard of using catnip for hair, but it sounds interesting. Thanks for the link. I don't use a brush, and my comb is pretty smooth. I think my hair scissors are pretty sharp. I bought them specifically for hair, and they seemed sharper than the other ones in the price range of $6-$10 at Walmart. I haven't tried a mineral oil, but I do like to use a coconut oil after I S&D. I might try it. Is it better than using coconut oil? Thank you very much!

Wildcat, yeah, the layers are a pain to style and I kind of regret cutting them, but they're there, and have to make due. I think I'm up for a challenge, and I do like experimenting. Thanks!

Wildcat Diva
July 26th, 2012, 07:42 PM
At BSL, I'm not sure if you can do a french twist still, but this would protect your ends. I just mastered the Lazy Wrap Bun, and I think this looks really pretty also. Make some new friends on here and we can help you out. There is a support thread from shoulder to APL that I'm on, and there's an APL to BSL thread. We help each other with updos and talk about whatever we need to help each other. You are welcome to pop in on the shoulder to APL thread if you want any of our help on updos.

Wildcat Diva
July 26th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Oh, and the oil thing, some people like one over the other, so it's a matter of preference. Mineral oil seems to be an anti static, so it can really help on frizz. I apply only THREE DROPS (no kidding) when my hair is damp. It's great on my hair, but some people hate it.

Madora
July 26th, 2012, 07:50 PM

Wildcat, yeah, the layers are a pain to style and I kind of regret cutting them, but they're there, and have to make due. I think I'm up for a challenge, and I do like experimenting. Thanks!

Hi, Texas Kass. Haven't a clue whether mineral oil is better than coconut oil since I've rarely used my stash of the later. Mineral oil is lighter, which makes a difference for me since I loathe anything on my hair.

You might just want to experiment with coconut for "x" number of weeks...then switch over to MO for the same amount of time (I'd clarify first with Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying shampoo before trying the MO).

You only need a few drops (less than 4) of MO, which is applied to damp (not dripping hair). It is very lightweight, has no afterscent, and leaves your hair soft and shiny. It is also a great detangler! The best mineral oil is one that contains just MO plus a fragrance, and nothing else.

Application:

No more than 4 drops in a small dish
Take a baby swab, dip in oil, then apply to your palms and fingers
Run your hands thru your damp hair several times until most of the sheen has disappeared.
Detangle gently with wide tooth comb

You can also just apply it (2 drops) to take care of the ends.

Just experiment and see what works for your hair. Good luck!

Amber_Maiden
July 26th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Are you using moisturizing products?