PDA

View Full Version : Human rib bone hair stick

lora410
July 26th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Canceled for now

pink.sara
July 26th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Ooooh. Very interesting. If ever something had a story...

Dorothy
July 26th, 2012, 04:27 PM
It is not legal to sell human body parts. Let alone the ethical implications.

Cania
July 26th, 2012, 04:38 PM
:suspect:

Well now I have a weird morbid curiosity going on.. OP, what's the story behind this piece, if you don't mind me asking?

PolarCathy
July 26th, 2012, 04:40 PM
:suspect:

Well now I have a weird morbid curiosity going on.. OP, what's the story behind this piece, if you don't mind me asking?

Same here LOL

In bed, but can't sleep... almost 1AM. Need to know this.

DaniVerde
July 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Same here LOL

It's almost 2AM here, I can't sleep either, and I need to know too!! :popcorn:

Cania
July 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Same here LOL

Ah, I have to know!
I did find this thread though...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68746
You might find it interesting too :P

PolarCathy
July 26th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Ah, I have to know!
I did find this thread though...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68746
You might find it interesting too :P

******Now I really can't sleep. :rollin: Horrendous!!

Cania
July 26th, 2012, 04:48 PM
******Now I really can't sleep. :rollin: Horrendous!!

My ribcage feels all funny after reading a few of the posts... :bigeyes:

PolarCathy
July 26th, 2012, 04:51 PM
My ribcage feels all funny after reading a few of the posts... :bigeyes:

I don't dare to fall asleep. Someone may come in through the balcony door and cut out my ribs in my dream!!

Vanille_
July 26th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Aww... I wish it was not illegal. I don't see anything wrong with it. People make stuff out of their dead animals and loved ones remains all the time. I remember seeing some guy who specializes in blowing cremations into glass which makes beautiful items.

I've held on to my dad's ashes for a long time, waiting for something really creative to do with them.

jeanniet
July 26th, 2012, 04:55 PM
It is not legal to sell human body parts. Let alone the ethical implications.
Selling human bones is legal in the US. Ethical implications are something else, but there are cultures that treat bones as revered objects, so I suppose public display could be done tastefully although not everyone would agree. In any case, there's nothing illegal about bone sales.

ETA: Oops, sorry, I miswrote that--it's not illegal at the federal level. I think there are a few states that might have laws, but for the most part it's legal at the state level as well.

FrozenBritannia
July 26th, 2012, 05:08 PM
This makes me wonder what plastic surgeons do with the ribs they take out to create smaller waistlines...

ratgirldjh
July 26th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Aww... I wish it was not illegal. I don't see anything wrong with it. People make stuff out of their dead animals and loved ones remains all the time. I remember seeing some guy who specializes in blowing cremations into glass which makes beautiful items.

I've held on to my dad's ashes for a long time, waiting for something really creative to do with them.

I totally agree with you on this. I was sooo sad that they wouldn't allow me to have my husband's skull much less even a tiny pinky bone after he died. What right do THEY have to say what I can keep??? GRRRR..... I had to settle for some hair and some of his ashes :(

I am still trying to figure out what to do with my step dad's ashes too. I ended up swallowing my husbands - just seemed right. :)

And it seems like a WASTE to throw away or BURN bones from procedures. Aren't animal bones from slaughtered animals used? Why should human bones be off limits??? :confused: Of course I know that would probably mean someone somewhere would kill people for bones - but they probably already do that anyway... ???

piffyanne
July 26th, 2012, 05:37 PM
I'm not against the wearing of human bones, although I don't think I'd do it myself. Why was the offer canceled? Is it illegal in your state?

I'm an insatiably curious piff. Excuse my noseyness :flower:

firegypsy
July 27th, 2012, 09:27 AM
There are people that make diamonds from their loved ones remains. I have a bracelet and a necklace made from alligator toe bones and shark cartilage. (well the bones and cartilage were cast and the actual pieces I own are sterling silver.)

But something about this rubs me the wrong way. Can't put my finger on it.

Shiranshoku
July 27th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Hmm... I would consider it a bit strange, but if someone would pull out a hair stick out of their hair and explain that it was a human rib, my first response would be: wicked! Where did you get it?

To me, there isn't much difference between regular bone hair sticks, or even horn hair sticks and antler pieces and what not, and a rib. It was inside/part of a living, breathing thing, body (human or animal) but it's not as if the previous owner has any use for it left...

I do wonder how you get your hand on human ribs...

SerinaDaith
July 27th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Selling human bones is legal in the US. Ethical implications are something else, but there are cultures that treat bones as revered objects, so I suppose public display could be done tastefully although not everyone would agree. In any case, there's nothing illegal about bone sales.

ETA: Oops, sorry, I miswrote that--it's not illegal at the federal level. I think there are a few states that might have laws, but for the most part it's legal at the state level as well.
Thank you! Watch the show oddities if you don't belive her. Creepy yes illegal not at all in most states.

I

Tristania
July 27th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Awesome. I'd wear it in a heartbeat. Provided it's carved into something pretty, of course.

firegypsy
July 27th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Okay, I figured it out. It's energetic for me.

Animals don't tend to have a whole lot of weird energy going on. For me, they are pretty innocent. I don't MIND wearing shed antlers or using toe bones from a sentient being because I generally believe that animals spirits are intact unless they were terribly abused. I also feel like using leftover "parts" from animals is a matter of respect.

Humans are a different story. Not that I believe humans are bad, but they are more complex. Maybe because they're too close to me as well, where a deer is not. I don't know. That's as close as I can come to an explanation.

Human parts from a LOVED one have an entirely different feel. Human parts from an unknown person I can't deal with as a fashion issue. For organ donors/blood donors etc. it's different. I'd accept that as a life saving measure, but I wouldn't seek it out for adornment.

Kaelee
July 27th, 2012, 09:49 AM
There are people that make diamonds from their loved ones remains. I have a bracelet and a necklace made from alligator toe bones and shark cartilage. (well the bones and cartilage were cast and the actual pieces I own are sterling silver.)

But something about this rubs me the wrong way. Can't put my finger on it.

I love the diamond idea!

I think that...hmm. I don't know WHO'S bone this is, where it came from, how it was obtained....

There are certain contexts where I wouldn't mind having/wearing a human bone. This is not one of those contexts. I think it's creepy.

I don't have a problem with it though if others don't think it's creepy and want to wear it themselves.

CurlyCurves
July 30th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Hmm... I would consider it a bit strange, but if someone would pull out a hair stick out of their hair and explain that it was a human rib, my first response would be: wicked! Where did you get it?

To me, there isn't much difference between regular bone hair sticks, or even horn hair sticks and antler pieces and what not, and a rib. It was inside/part of a living, breathing thing, body (human or animal) but it's not as if the previous owner has any use for it left...

I do wonder how you get your hand on human ribs...

+1.

I agree.

MinderMutsig
July 30th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I have no problem with this in theory but then I reminded myself that I usually put my stick in my mouth while making a bun and the thought of doing that with another humans rib bone sceeved me out big time.

I'd also be very interested in the back story though!

Dovetail
July 30th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I think if it were someone very very close to me (aka husband, son, daughter) I MIGHT wear something like that. I dont know about wearing one of someone I dont know though :s
I do wish the op hadnt taken down the picture though! I would like to see it @.@

sarelis
July 30th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I do wish the op hadnt taken down the picture though! I would like to see it @.@

Me too! To be honest I wouldn't find it creepy at all. I used to collect animal bones (sometimes complete skeletons) as a child, I made necklaces from fox teeth & I also had a hairstick made from a deer's rib. The fact that it's a human bone doesn't phase me.

swearnsue
July 30th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Way too creepy for me. Where's my riiiiiiib...

Aredhel77
July 30th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I don't dare to fall asleep. Someone may come in through the balcony door and cut out my ribs in my dream!!

PolarCathy - in your dream is fine. It's if it happens in real life that you have to worry :D

Nae
July 30th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Okay, clicking on this thread accidentally when you were trying to click on the "When someone cleans the public toliet you are about to use" thread is a little disconcerting.

Just saying.

Aredhel77
July 30th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Okay, clicking on this thread accidentally when you were trying to click on the "When someone cleans the public toliet you are about to use" thread is a little disconcerting.

Just saying.

OMG, if the threads were merged...just imagine...:scared:

Nae
July 30th, 2012, 02:01 PM
OMG, if the threads were merged...just imagine...:scared:

Rofl, I can't. It doesn't compute.

I clicked here and was like, "Why are we talking about diamonds made out of remains in the toliet thread?!?!?!?! shudder: Oh. Never mind."

mallorykay13
July 30th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I really want to see this picture.

piffyanne
August 5th, 2012, 11:35 PM

I clicked here and was like, "Why are we talking about diamonds made out of remains in the toliet thread?!?!?!?! shudder: Oh. Never mind."

Annnnnd there goes the tea up my nose. Again. Why do your posts allllways make me laugh?

(It's something about the shudder: icon that does it for me. Every time. Especially how, when you watch closely, it duplicates as a shadow of itself for a split second. That bit always makes me giggle.)

I must admit, I never expected to snort tea in the Human Rib Bone Hair Stick thread.

If I owned one of these hairsticks, I'd call it Adam! :cheese:

ETA: This is completely off topic, but it's funny to me that the 3 emoticons in this post line up in a diagonal. It's like something out of the DaVinci Code.

gthlvrmx
August 5th, 2012, 11:58 PM

Jajajajaja XD That sounds hilarious.

gthlvrmx
August 6th, 2012, 12:04 AM
ackkkkk extra post XD darn this internet!

elbow chic
August 6th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I think I'd wear one if I knew its provenance, especially if it had been part of a relative or a close friend. But I can't imagine buying or selling that kind of thing...

well, maybe if it were very old and all that person's contemporaries had passed on, too. Then it would be a curiosity, not a sacred remain, I guess. Haha, weird.

jacqueline101
September 21st, 2013, 04:57 PM
I pass on the rib sticks.

faellen
September 22nd, 2013, 10:56 AM
This makes me wonder what plastic surgeons do with the ribs they take out to create smaller waistlines...

Pretty sure that's an urban myth.

ETA: just realised this thread is a year old. Why did you even bump this Jacqueline? It's not like any new info was added.