PDA

View Full Version : No conditioner thread

didrash
July 26th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I searched for such a thread, and there were a few similar ones but not an "official" one, so I thought I could start it. If I am wrong please disregards.

So, I was wandering, are there any members here (apart from the "WO/SO fans") who do not use any commercial conditioner? What do you use to wash your hair? Do you use something instead of the conditioner? How long have you done this and have you noticed any negative effects?

I am curious about it because I recently stopped using it and my hair seems none-the-worse from it. I would really like to be able to do this for a long time, as conditioner is one of the main sources of plastic bottles in my garbage and I want to reduce those (no recycling in my area). Also - more chemicals down the drain, money spent, etc.

So, share your experience please - or a link to the existing thread :).

brave
July 26th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Ktani used to do this I think, she used shampoo and then a catnip soak and found no need for conditioner. Here's her article on it. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118)

Bene
July 26th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I don't know if there's such a thread.

I go without conditioner a lot, I rely on ACV as a replacement, and camellia oil as a leave-in. I use shampoo bars, so going conditioner free is actually pretty easy for me. I've done this, going on 3 years or so? I don't actually remember when I switched over permanently. My hair doesn't mind. It's fairly healthy and low maintenance. Currently attempting to switch over to regular conventional soap, and have done it without conditioner, no ill affects as of yet. Also, I don't use any heat on my hair, so that helps too, I think.

Actually, whenever I do use conditioner, it's mostly out of habit. I don't really know why I still bother :laugh: Normally, it's after I clarify because I'm all paranoid that everything will be all dry, but that never happens.

Siiri
July 26th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I think I've recently seen here a shampoo only thread, but that's not exactly the same as no conditioner.

I use oil shampoo (non coating SLES based shampoo mixed with coconut oil in ratio of 2:1) and follow that with citric acid rinse. So the oil and the acid rinse work as a replacement for conditioner. I've until recently used mineral oil as a leave in, but lately I've been without it. I switched to this from co-washing about five months ago.

The major difference is that my hair is less sticky (although I never noticed that when I co-washed, but now the difference is clear in comparison), and isn't weighed down. Conditioner was ok for me, but I just don't really need it with this method. I haven't gotten any noticeable bad effects. When I first started this in the winter/spring I got some static, but now there's none. But I did get some static when I used conditioner too eta: in the winter because the air is too dry.

lundmir
July 26th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I use mane 'n tail shampoo and an ACVrinse afterwards, and no conditioner. I have been doing this for about a month, with great results.

didrash
July 26th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks for sharing! So far it seems that an ACV rinse is very common instead of conditioner, I should try it sometimes. Not sure how it would react with the indigo I just used, but we'll see :).

kitekats
July 26th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I really didn't see any difference between conditioner and no-conditioner at all, but I do add a few spoons of almond oil, if it's close at hand, to my shampoo...

didrash
October 4th, 2012, 06:58 AM
OK, so it's been a couple of months since I stopped using conditioner... In the beginning it was fine, but lately, my ends are simply PARCHED! So dry and brittle and splitting horrendously. Obviously I can't just stop using conditioner, I have to replace it with something. Some of you use ACV rinses, others baby oil. I am a bit afraid of oiling, how do I make sure I don't use too much... On the other hand, now I can wait one or even two days longer to wash my hair, mostly because it starts to smell funny, it is not oily. And I don't throw away so many plastic bottles.

proo
October 4th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Are you diluting your shampoo?
I do a modified Madora routine:
rinsing once a month with 3 drops Prell in 1/2 gallon distilled water,
then rinsing that out with another 1/2 gallon distilled water.
After teeshirt turbaning I apply a few drops of MO on the ends.
Then I'm good to go for another month.
Probably a bit radical for you, but I used to be where you are;
now I'm here.

morrigan*
October 4th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I use diluted sulphate free shampoo, and then catnip or ACV rinse, or both. Sometimes a bit of of jojoba, olive or coconut oil on ends.

I notice that my hair is worse with conditioner, because it gets tangly fast and i actually need to clarify every two or three months.

didrash
October 4th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I dilute my shampoo, but not as much - roughly 1:1 with water for easy use. I have tried sulphate-free shampoos in the past, but they left my hair feeling very limp and oily. But then I still used conditioner, maybe they will work better now, I suppose I should try them again. I think I will start with the ACV first, as I already have it in the kitchen :).

ratgirldjh
October 4th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Are you diluting your shampoo?
I do a modified Madora routine:
rinsing once a month with 3 drops Prell in 1/2 gallon distilled water,
then rinsing that out with another 1/2 gallon distilled water.
After teeshirt turbaning I apply a few drops of MO on the ends.
Then I'm good to go for another month.
Probably a bit radical for you, but I used to be where you are;
now I'm here.

I've done this too but with Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds which is an SLS detergent. It works very well actually. I didn't even need to use the MO but I bet it would be nice.

Lately I've found I like to use unscented Dove soap and a very weak ACV rinse. I find bars easier than liquids for some reason... :rolleyes:

northernsky
October 4th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Most of the time I use a shampoo bar followed by an ACV rinse, and if my hair feels dry I will rub a little jojoba oil onto my hands and then run them through my hair. I do still use conditioner sometimes-- Shea Moisture restorative conditioner-- if I think it needs a little more moisture. Regular overnight oil treatments are really helping me cut back on it though.

bunnylake
October 4th, 2012, 07:10 PM
The other night I clarified my hair and did not use conditioner or oil or any kind of leave in or rinse. I did this bc I was planning to use Manic Panic dye. Anyway, I was really surprised by how soft and shiny it was when it dried!

didrash
October 29th, 2012, 12:37 PM
OK, I have to say that mineral oil definitely helps! My hair is much less tangly when it dries, and does not feel greasy at all. I love it!