PDA

View Full Version : Hair hurts like crazy when pulled

louzen
July 26th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Hi all

Whenever a strand/s of my hair is pulled only slightly it hurts so much! I mean I want to yelp it hurts so bad. I don't know if this is normal or not. I spend ages trying to get the tangles out of my hair very very gently since if I pull only slightly it hurts too much.

I have a healthy diet with plenty of good fats and Omega 3s, and no illnesses.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it normal?

Bene
July 26th, 2012, 07:06 AM
My initial response when reading just the title was "Then don't pull it!"

However, looks like you could use a different way to detangle? Are you dragging your comb/brush from the scalp on down? A good way to do it (unless you already know about this, then don't mind me) is to section out your hair, hold onto a piece, then gently get through the tangles down from the ends and work your way up. That way, any pulling strain isn't going to affect your scalp because you've got your hand holding that section already

Or, get a tangle teezer. Those things are cool.

renarok
July 26th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Have you always been tender headed? Some people have more sensitive heads than others. Try a tangle teezer. They really reduce the ouch factor in detangling.

Madora
July 26th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Hi all

Whenever a strand/s of my hair is pulled only slightly it hurts so much! I mean I want to yelp it hurts so bad. I don't know if this is normal or not. I spend ages trying to get the tangles out of my hair very very gently since if I pull only slightly it hurts too much.

I have a healthy diet with plenty of good fats and Omega 3s, and no illnesses.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it normal?

Have you always had this sensitive scalp problem?

If you're trying to detangle and doing it too roughly, your scalp is going to hurt.

Bottom line, if tangles are a problem for you, then confining your hair is the way to go. Be sure and use a wide tooth comb, never a brush, to detangle.

Here are some detangling tips:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=230

Perhaps you might want to try a few drops of mineral oil to help with detangling issues. I was pretty skeptical about MO at first..until I tried it! Amazing stuff!

Johnson and Johnson's baby oil contains only mineral oil plus a fragrance (which is the most efficacious type).

While you can use MO on dry hair as well as wet, I've used it solely on hair that is damp (not dripping).

How to:

Put 3 drops of MO into a small dish
Take a baby swab, dip it into the oil, then apply the oil all over your palms and fingers
Run your hands through your hair several times, until most of the oil sheen has disappeared

Note: MO is lightweight, leaves no after scent. Your hair is soft and shiny

Use it sparingly! You definitely do not want to use more than 4 drops at most (depending on your hair length and thickness).

Hope this helps!

louzen
July 26th, 2012, 07:22 AM
My initial response when reading just the title was "Then don't pull it!"

However, looks like you could use a different way to detangle? Are you dragging your comb/brush from the scalp on down? A good way to do it (unless you already know about this, then don't mind me) is to section out your hair, hold onto a piece, then gently get through the tangles down from the ends and work your way up. That way, any pulling strain isn't going to affect your scalp because you've got your hand holding that section already

Or, get a tangle teezer. Those things are cool.

I don't pull it on purpose :), sometimes it gets caught accidentally on my bag strap, or DH catches a strand when his arm is around me, or it gets caught up in a towel, or I comb through a tangle that I didn't know was there, etc... Even slight day to day pulls really hurt me.

I detangle by finger combing, and then using a wide toothed comb very gently. I've tried to comb bottom up, but that simply doesn't work for me since by the time I've combed up, there are tangles again at the bottom of my hair (my hair tangles super easy since the strands are super fine).

I've heard of tangle teezers, might give it a try, thanks

swearnsue
July 26th, 2012, 07:31 AM
If your up to date on your profile and your hair is 9" long then you should be having so many tangles. You need to make sure you are getting enough conditioning and styles to protect your ends, like Madora suggested. Also her idea of mineral oil would really help you too. I hope you find a solution because it doesn't sound fun having tangles and a sensitive scalp.

louzen
July 26th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Thank you all for your advice.

I think I just seem to have an extra sensitive scalp. I CO wash, and oil my hair on a regular basis so it's well hydrated. I'll take your advice on board