PDA

View Full Version : Hard water?

bunnylake
July 26th, 2012, 06:47 AM
This weekend I'm going to visit some relatives in Maryland, and I believe they have hard water there. Where I live in NY, the water is soft. Should I bother buying a special shampoo for my trip down there? (I'm normally a daily shampooer). I have no experience with hard water so I'm not sure!

Amapola
July 26th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Our water is very hard (we have a well) and I have no problem. I don't do anything special for it, not even when I go elsewhere and use different water. For me, anyway, it is not a problem.

EndlessSunshine
July 26th, 2012, 08:07 AM
If you were moving there then I would recommend getting a chelating shampoo. I use garnier fructis pure clean clear 2in1 it is silicone free, dye free, and paraben free. It has SLS and three kinds of acids. It doesn't say it is a chelating shampoo but it works well and isn't drying for my scalp. It also keeps my hair shiny. I use it twice a month.

OrganicJewel
July 26th, 2012, 08:18 AM
you could do acv rinses to help with the hard water while you're there. I have pretty much the hardest water possible and they do help in between clarifying.

Neecola
July 26th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I have very hard water and it does affect my hair. But I doubt that you would see much effect over a weekend. What about following with an ACV or citric acid rinse?

Vivalagina
July 26th, 2012, 08:47 AM
A final rinse with citric acid (I dilute it 1/8 tsp to 3 pints distilled water) works for me. I live in a city with hard/very hard water and that does the trick.

heidi w.
July 26th, 2012, 09:23 AM
It's just a temporary stay. I wouldn't do anything special about the hard water situation. Your hair will be fine, overall.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 26th, 2012, 09:25 AM
I have very hard water and it does affect my hair. But I doubt that you would see much effect over a weekend. What about following with an ACV or citric acid rinse?

That is the most I would consider doing, a white vinegar or ACV rinse (depending if you have light or dark colored hair....). Blonde white vinegar; dark haired, brunette, ACV rinse.

heidi w.

Rivanariko
July 26th, 2012, 09:54 AM
For a weekend you should be fine. If you are an every day shampooer you shouldn't notice too much of a difference, hard water hits your the worst if you're doing CO or WO or anything that won't strip the minerals from your hair. We have very hard water where I live and I CWC, which seems to work just fine. I tried the ACV rinse for a while, but didn't notice any real difference so I gave it up.

ratgirldjh
July 26th, 2012, 10:20 AM
You could just do a final rinse with some filtered water. This is what I do and we have hard water here. The final rinse is what dries in your hair and I find it really makes a difference if I use the filtered water.

Actually I have some in a spray bottle and spray my hair well after I finish my regular wash.

Cowgirl16
July 26th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I agree with everyone else.
We have extremely hard water from a well. I notice a difference in my hair when I go somewhere where the water is soft; but I return home and my hair is back to "normal" within days. I think your hair will be fine; have a great trip!

Tia2010
July 26th, 2012, 10:45 AM
The ACV rinse should be enough, especially for just the weekend.

Also some parts of Maryland don't have hard water. Some areas are just out of the soft range... about 90 mg per liter of calcium carbonate (sp?) so it may not be an issue depending on where you're visiting at in Maryland.