PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen for hair..?

joflakes
July 26th, 2012, 04:27 AM
does it exist? I've noticed my hair is getting lighter in the sun and would like to stop it!
Plus feeling a bit drier than usual. I'm coconut oiling but want to do more if I can!

MintChocChip
July 26th, 2012, 04:48 AM
Yep, I've seen hair sunscreen's before.

Saw this one recently the other day online:

http://www.feelunique.com/p/Wella-Professionals-Sun-Protection-Spray-for-Fine-to-Normal-Hair-150ml I'm assuming this is the sort of thing you meant by hair sunscreen? :)

Mahealani
July 26th, 2012, 05:17 AM
does it exist? I've noticed my hair is getting lighter in the sun and would like to stop it!
Plus feeling a bit drier than usual. I'm coconut oiling but want to do more if I can!Jep it does. I used it and it helped with my hair not getting any lighter from the sun. Will try to find if that particular brand is available in UK.

MinderMutsig
July 26th, 2012, 05:18 AM
It does exist! Do you have Lidl in England? Because they have one in their sunscreen display.
I can't really tell you other brands but a decent drugstore should carry it. You'll probably have to find it yourself though because in my experience most employees in drugstores have no idea what you're talking about when you mention sunscreen for hair. It's always in some dark corner in the store where they put the "I don't know what this is, what it does or who would buy it" items.

Tristania
July 26th, 2012, 05:21 AM
The thing about sunscreen is that you need to apply a certain (usually large) amount for it to be effective, and sometimes needs to be reapplied. I find it easier to just bun my hair and wear a wide-brimmed hat.

MinderMutsig
July 26th, 2012, 05:48 AM
The thing about sunscreen is that you need to apply a certain (usually large) amount for it to be effective, and sometimes needs to be reapplied. I find it easier to just bun my hair and wear a wide-brimmed hat.I spray it all through my hair and then I put it up and spray again just to everything that is exposed gets some protection. A hat would probably be better but I haven't bothered searching for one that I like yet.

I only use mine if I'm going to be out in the sun all day. I know shorter stints can be damaging too but personally I like a bit of sunkissed natural highlighting and gladly suffer the tiny bit of damage I get from it. If I'm out all day I use it to not only protect my hair but also my scalp from the sun.

Madora
July 26th, 2012, 07:19 AM
A white cotton scarf would keep the sun off your hair, and keep your scalp from being sunburned too.

dawnss
July 26th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I remember a few years back here in the states hair products with sunscreen were available, I do not know if they still are. What I used to do in the past though, was just put sunscreen on my scalp if I was wearing parted hairstyles.

HairySherry
July 26th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I'd be interested in knowing if there is sunscreen meant specifically for hair as well. I started a thread a week or so ago asking for tips on what to do with/for my hair while at the beach, and several people suggested putting sunscreen in your hair (to prevent scalp sunburn as well as to deter lightening, which is also an issue for me). The advice I was given was to either apply sunscreen directly to your hair or dilute it with a bit of water in a mister bottle and spritz it on. I'm not sure which method I'll try. Maybe both. :)

lapushka
July 26th, 2012, 10:46 AM
It does exist. I have some products made by Guhl, old ones though. I haven't seen any more around. But there's this too:
http://wizaz.pl/kosmetyki/produkt.php?produkt=10928

mallorykay13
July 26th, 2012, 10:47 AM
My hair sun-bleaches soooo easily. It goes from a nice dark brown to a light-medium brown.

akilina
July 26th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Oh yes, there are a TON of hair products with UV protection right now.
1. Because it is summer.
2. Because it seems "UV protection" is getting really popular amongst the public.
Just shop around. Read bottle labels. Many products say in their cute little description "UV protection" as one of the benefits.
I love Biolage..but my favorite is their uv spray. It is in a purple opaque bottle and it is a shine spray.
They even have some kind of actual leave in that is specifically sunscreen for hair. <--wouldn't use that one though TBH.

march_sun
July 26th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I recently bought a hair protector meant for swimmers. It says it protects from chlorine absorbing into the hair as well as a sunscreen. I like the way it feels, it's a micro mist and isn't too heavy.
[URL="http://www.sallybeauty.com/sun-protection-spray/SBS-302027,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair04"]

FrozenBritannia
July 26th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I just use regular sunscreen. It seems to wash out easy enough.

Anje
July 26th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I just use regular sunscreen. It seems to wash out easy enough.
I'm REALLY not a fan of the effects of zinc oxide on my hair, though. Even if it washes out, it makes it rough in a uniquely unpleasant way.

I just wear a hat most of the time outdoors. Easy and doesn't make my hair feel coated.

Tabitha
July 26th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Philip Kingsley Swimcap (http://www.lookfantastic.com/philip-kingsley-swimcap-cream-150ml/10560310.html)gets good reviews. I haven't tried anything personally because I tend to shun the sun.

pittie-lover
July 26th, 2012, 12:19 PM
You can make your own. I take a 10 ounce spray bottle and add about 2 tablespoons of sunscreen and fill the rest with water. Spray a small amount onto hair.

HairySherry
July 26th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I recently bought a hair protector meant for swimmers. It says it protects from chlorine absorbing into the hair as well as a sunscreen. I like the way it feels, it's a micro mist and isn't too heavy.
[url="http://www.sallybeauty.com/sun-protection-spray/SBS-302027,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair04"]

I have to go to Sally's for a few things this weekend... I will definitely be checking this out! :D

pittie-lover
July 26th, 2012, 12:26 PM
You can make your own. I take a 10 ounce spray bottle and add about 2 tablespoons of sunscreen and fill the rest with water. Spray a small amount onto hair.
I forgot to say make sure you shake it very well.

MinderMutsig
July 26th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I forgot to say but a lot of products for color treated hair also contain UV filters so it might be worth looking into some of those products.

earthnut
July 26th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I use regular sunscreen, and apply it just like oil to dry hair. Works great, and there's a huge variety of sunscreens with different ingredients if you want or don't want a specific ingredient.

MrsGuther
July 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I've never heard of sunscreen specifically for hair. I have heard of conditioners with uv protection in them though.

MrsGuther
July 26th, 2012, 02:00 PM

I will have to try that next time I go to the beach! :p

morguebabe
July 26th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I use this UV spray (http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Mitchell-Protect-Protection-8-5-ounce/dp/B0009OMNVQ) on my red hair... works great.

HairySherry
July 30th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I picked up a bottle of the Ion Sun Protectant this weekend (it was on sale! even better!) and I'll be at the beach next week... I'll let you know if I think it's a worthwhile purchase. :)