PDA

View Full Version : Post-Bun Shedding?

Sylvestrix
July 25th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I think I may be making a mountain out of a molehill here, but I just wanted to check with y'all, since you are the font of all my hair knowledge!

I've had my hair back in a bun for three days, and tonight I took it out to fingercomb and redo before bed, and had a freakish amount of shed. All but one of the hairs had the root attached, so they were definitely shed rather than broken, and I'm wondering if this is normal? I know you can expect a certain amount of shedding after not having changed a 'do for a while, but this seemed like a lot, so I just wanted to check if anyone else had had a similar experience!

Thanks in advance for your help, Longhair Oracles of the Page :bowtome:

Shermie Girl
July 25th, 2012, 05:13 PM
It is normal to shed about 100 hairs each day. If your hair was in a bun for three days straight, those hairs were trapped there, without the opportunity to fall so it is normal to brush quite a few shed hairs out, when you take your hair down. As long as it isn't an extended shed and you aren't seeing a noticeable amount of thinning of your overall hair volume, there is most likely nothing to worry about. :)

MinderMutsig
July 25th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Totally normal. It's just all the hairs you shed over the past three days that were contained in the bun instead of falling out gradually unnoticed.

lmfbs
July 25th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Your hair sheds x amount per day. When you have it in a bun, it sheds that amount, but the hair can't fall out, right, cuz it's trapped in the bun. So when you take the bun out 3 days later, 3 days of x amount of hair is chillin' around waiting to fall out.

Don't panic! As long as you're not pulling your buns really tight to cause hair to be pulled out, don't worry about it :)

jasper
July 25th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I was freaking over the same thing yesterday. And I know better! I think it gets easier to freak out over the amount of shed as hair gets longer. A few long hairs balled up can seem like a handful, so yesterday I was finger combing and thinking my hair was coming out by handfuls.

Sylvestrix
July 25th, 2012, 05:54 PM
It is normal to shed about 100 hairs each day. If your hair was in a bun for three days straight, those hairs were trapped there, without the opportunity to fall so it is normal to brush quite a few shed hairs out, when you take your hair down. As long as it isn't an extended shed and you aren't seeing a noticeable amount of thinning of your overall hair volume, there is most likely nothing to worry about. :)

Phew! I don't think it's extended- it's probably just me being a loon- I've never kept my hair up this long before without taking it down for a while, so the amount sort of crept up on me I think! :oThanks so much for the reassurance!

Totally normal. It's just all the hairs you shed over the past three days that were contained in the bun instead of falling out gradually unnoticed.

I think I just wasn't thinking straight heh, my brain seemed to have decided that if my hair was back it would magically not shed. Genius, I am not! Thanks so much. :)

Your hair sheds x amount per day. When you have it in a bun, it sheds that amount, but the hair can't fall out, right, cuz it's trapped in the bun. So when you take the bun out 3 days later, 3 days of x amount of hair is chillin' around waiting to fall out.

Don't panic! As long as you're not pulling your buns really tight to cause hair to be pulled out, don't worry about it :)

Deep cleansing breaths! I keep my buns fairly loose, just in with four spin pins and the toe-end of a silk stocking looped over the top to keep friction down at night, so hopefully I'm treating them well =3 Thanks for the explanations and chilling me out, I'm such a worry wart sometimes!

I was freaking over the same thing yesterday. And I know better! I think it gets easier to freak out over the amount of shed as hair gets longer. A few long hairs balled up can seem like a handful, so yesterday I was finger combing and thinking my hair was coming out by handfuls.

This happened to me the first time I fingercombed, I nearly had a seizure! Because I usually brush/comb onto the floor/into the bin, I've never really noticed the number of hairs that've come out. Seeing it all piled up in my hands totally freaked me out! So glad to know it's not just me that has these mad moments xD