PDA

View Full Version : Plopping question!

bunnylake
July 25th, 2012, 02:35 PM
So I have just started plopping with a tshirt! My hair does dry faster with less frizz this way.
However I'm unsure about something.
After my shower, when I bend over the tshirt, only the length of my hair comes forward. The front and crown are wet and stuck close to my scalp. I've been fingering through a bit to try and get more of my hair to fall forward, but I don't want to manipulate it so much while it's wet to avoid damage.
Should I just rinse my hair upside down from now on? What do you do?

earthnut
July 25th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I wash right side up and bring all my hair forward when I go into the plop. I might smooth it down a bit with my palms to encourage clumping, but I don't know if that really makes any difference. I'm pretty gentle, though not overly so. I don't rake my fingers all the way through my hair, just enough to bring it forward. I haven't found this to be damaging at all. I got the most hair loss from messing with my hair as soon as it's wet. I need to wait until I put conditioner in my hair before I start detangling. Since I started doing that, I've had very little shedding. The plopping doesn't seem to make any difference.

If I do everything upside down I get more tangles. I don't get more tangles if I just plop upside down, for whatever reason.

An alternative to plopping is clipping and scrunching. Clipping lifts the roots and scrunching dries your hair without friction.

Mahealani
July 25th, 2012, 03:36 PM
what if you use the T-shirt just like you would the towel? I don't use plopping method like described here:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/to-plop-or-not-to-plop
I use it like I would the towel and it works just fine. Ok to be honest, more than fine :D.
Oh and do try to squeeze out as much water as possible before you put T-shirt on. Or even use two T-shirts. I do, the 1. to wrap around my hair and just squeeze, the other one as the turban.
Hope this helps you a bit.

lmfbs
July 25th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I just shake a little bit to loosen the hair from the scalp. Seems to work ok.

spirals
July 25th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I wash right-side-up, but my final rinse is upside-down. Otherwise my hair is flat on top.

earthnut
July 25th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Oh, since it's been mentioned, I like to go directly into a plop with extremely wet hair. If I let my hair dry at all before plopping, I get less curls.

Oh this reminds me, when I go into the plop, my hair has quite a bit of leave in conditioner in it. Maybe that's why I don't get any damage. Maybe you need to leave more conditioner in your hair?

I preen, rinse, (maybe wash, rinse), condition, detangle, plop. No rinsing between conditioning and plopping.