PDA

View Full Version : So maybe i should just accept it that my hair is slippery soft.

bunzfan
July 25th, 2012, 01:39 PM
When i joined 2 years a go i had slightly coarse hair but once it was hennaed it went stupidly soft its like silk! and even though i did colour removal and put box dye over the top and it improved slightly most of the time its just to soft.

You try braiding silk or putting it in a bun its a real pain!! so i decided recently i guess i should just let it be and stop trying to dry it out maybe its like this because its up all the time and is in good condition. On the plus side the new hairs growing in that don't have any henna on are thick and coarse:D I also found recently if i use gels it helps a lot.

DarkCurls
July 25th, 2012, 01:49 PM
You already know I think your hair is beautiful, and the braids you've posted on the braid picture thread are great, too.
I have to say I find it funny to see someone complaining about soft hair while I'm working my behind off to get softer hair.

bunzfan
July 25th, 2012, 01:52 PM
You already know I think your hair is beautiful, and the braids you've posted on the braid picture thread are great, too.
I have to say I find it funny to see someone complaining about soft hair while I'm working my behind off to get softer hair.

I know i never thought i would ever complain about it being to soft it was so dry and frizzy when i first joined. Care to swap for a week :p

akilina
July 25th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I am more and more lately just letting my hair do what it wants to do, as well as doing what I want to do to it. Example...I am accepting my hair naturally on its own without straightening, and also accepting that I will never be able to really stretch my washes, and that I simply love washing daily.
I guess for you, you should just accept that you have silk on your head :) How nice does that sound? People would love to have silky soft hair. Your updo in your avatar looks incredibly nice, silky and smooth.
When I see soft silky smooth hair, I attribute that as very pretty healthy hair :]

vanillabones
July 25th, 2012, 02:10 PM
My hair has always been slippery, even braiding is a nightmare. I can't wait until my hair is long for updos. You must embrace.

Amber_Maiden
July 25th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I wish my hair would be slippery soft!

BrownEyedBeauty
July 25th, 2012, 02:30 PM
My hair is baby fine textured so it is slippery soft. Hair toys often easily slip off or just won't hold at all. It can be a pain, but on the positive side of things, it feels very healthy and sensual. I always try to look at the positive side of things when I can.

Mahealani
July 25th, 2012, 03:27 PM
@bunzfan, just go with the flow and enjoy the silky feeling you've got. Love the feeling it makes when you go with your hand through you hair and on your back. There is always a good side to everything. You know, just like every coin has two sides.

My hair has always been slippery, even braiding is a nightmare. I can't wait until my hair is long for updos. You must embrace.
I agree. Mine is the same. Silky and fluffy. It is a pain in the bum to braid, not the braiding part it self, but due to the silkiness, I have to rebraid it alot otherwise it looks like a pine tree lol. But then, on the good side, that soft silky feeling... is simply the best. And this is what matters in the end, doesn't it? ;)
Good luck with the hair growth, vanillabones!:)

Falcore
July 25th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Silky soft hair is beautiful though I know I will never ever attain it. I'll trade ya!

Audrey Horne
July 25th, 2012, 08:42 PM
your hair is beautiful :flower: Mine is always terribly slippery :-( so I know what PITA it is to do anything with it. But it becomes more "grabby" and slightly coarser if I use henna :joy: so I consider it again, it seems I can't without it.

koala
July 25th, 2012, 10:52 PM
I would definitely trade with you! My hair is never soft and it doesn't benefit me at all because I have no interest in braids or updos!

jacqueline101
July 25th, 2012, 11:14 PM
I wish mine was softer at times.

jojo
July 25th, 2012, 11:50 PM
My hairs very soft and slippery, well you know that we have very similar hair, just gotta accept what nature gave us and not fight it. Mine has toughened up bait since using a protein shampoo. I don't mind mine being soft, day 1 after washing is the worse for me and I don't help myself my combing it straight, I need not start accepting my waviness and not fixing that either, just can't help but touch it when it's wet!

Lostsoule77
July 25th, 2012, 11:57 PM
My hair has gotten silkier and softer since joining here & I love it! I get that it can be a pain to style. I think you just have to try different styles and implements to hold them with. I've found that sticks that are cork screw like hold well as do spin pins. Also the lazy wrap and Spidermom's bun that stays. Braids always need to be redone, especially rope braids.

In the end though your hair FEELS amazing! That sure has to count for something. Don't just accept it, revel in it!

bunzfan
July 26th, 2012, 01:33 AM
I know your all right many would swap me i know, i think i just had a light bulb moment i realised once i started using pure silk pillowcases thats when it all started, so if any of you have very dry hair and want it softer go get yourself so silk pillowcases:p i got mine pretty cheap on ebay if anyone is wondering were to get them.

I have noticed that since i stopped co washing and using protein conditioners its better but i'm going back to my old cotton pillow cases to see if there is a difference because, when i have gone to bed with frizzy hair after its just been washed i wake up with sleek shiny silk feeling hair;) i like having soft hair but not as soft as this! if i don't use gel or oil its almost impossible to do anything with.

Silverbrumby
July 26th, 2012, 01:43 AM
My hair has also gotten softer and I'm so happy. I see so many women in their late 40's with coarse, dried out and fried hair. I'm hoping it eventually gets to be super soft, shiny and flowing.

Pearly~91
July 26th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I agree with everybody, soft hair is something most people want!! So try to enjoy it! If it really bothers you though, could you try a protein treatment? I have been reading about those (a LOT) recently and it seems that for hair that isn't protein deficient protein can coarsen it up.

I'm still new, please don't stone me if I'm wrong! :doh:

kitekats
July 26th, 2012, 02:26 PM
But silky hair are gorgeous...

ratgirldjh
July 26th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I think your hair is beautiful too.

However I know what you mean since I have silky hair too that likes to escape pretty much everything or slide out.

I've found that wood toys work much better for me than anything really slippery!

Also I found that washing with soap and an ACV rinse gave my hair more texture and made it feel a little coarser.
And for a while I was using aloe vera gel as a rinse out conditioner and loved how thick, and textured it made my hairs feel! I could do all sorts of things with my hair that I could never normally do!!!

The AVG does build up though and I stopped using it after going through several bottles because I could see the build up in my brush and it grossed me out.

But perhaps you could try AVG as a leave in? It does make my hair feel more grabby or something :D

Mesmerise
July 26th, 2012, 04:29 PM
My hair has always been pretty silky/slippery. This has advantages in some ways! For one... fewer tangles! I read about people who have to detangle for half an hour or more after washing :bigeyes:! Mine takes... errm no time at all. I rarely even have a knot, and when I do it slips out easily. Yay!

It is a PITA to braid and stuff. In fact, my braids are fairly useless as they slip out. I have to do them with damp hair. In fact, pretty much any style I want to hold, that doesn't use hair elastic, HAS to be done with wet or damp hair. I can get a bun to stay pretty well using spin pins, BUT only if it was wet when I did it. Same with using a hair stick (well I use a pencil :p). It stays pretty well if I do it while it's wet or damp, but if I have to pull it out, or it gets knocked, and the hair is dry, I can forget about fixing it :(.

Honestly, though, my hair has always been this way, so I never really consider the alternative! It never really occurred to me that some people could easily just bun their hair and shove in a hairstick and have it stay! Or that a braid will hold fast for some people whether it's dry or wet when they do it!

I think there are positives and negatives to all kinds of hair, and you have to look for the positives. In this case, your hair is silky and soft! You have touchable hair :).

MonaMayfair
July 27th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I don't like silky hair either, but my hair did the opposite to the OPs when I used henna, it made it much less silky and soft, more coarse and dry.
Cassia does the same for me, drier, thicker , more volumized which is what I prefer.

kidari
July 27th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Coarse hair is easier to style into an updo but silky hair looks amazing when it's down- and it tends to naturally air dry that way. There are pros and cons to both. At least you got to test drive both different textures. Let us know if you have a preference.