PDA

View Full Version : For a healthier hair? (Pics inside)

daredevil14
July 25th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Hey all,

I am a guy with shoulder-length hair, I've been growing it out for 2 years now, my hair is originally black of type frizzy/wavy... the first year witnessed 3 chemical-straightenings with no care at all (no conditioning, terrible shampoos...) and also with wet brushing... yes I had no awareness AT ALL! It indeed damaged my hair and changed its color...

Now during my 2nd year, I made some huge improvements, starting with a routine conditioning all the way to combing when soaking wet with conditioners. My hair definitely got more healthier and became more curly (which what I really like and want!)

Now I am starting the CG method, I made my last sulfate-poo to clear any silicone but I also discovered that the silicone-free conditioner which I have has a sulfate lauryl sodium (SLS) which left me confused!

Anyway here are pics of my hair, the 2nd pic shows the inside part of my back hair (taken apart) which doesn't look healthy at all, now how can I treat this and improve the health of my hair in general?

http://i50.tinypic.com/2cdwvvd.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2egejjc.jpg

salamander
July 25th, 2012, 09:04 AM
You have great curl structure! Your hair actually doesn't look too damaged from what I can tell, don't despair too much. First step, especially for a curly, is going to be add moisture. I like wetting my hair down, loading it up with coconut oil, and letting it sit under a cap for a few hours before washing it out, but there are many options for deep treatments if that one doesn't work for your hair, look around the site a little and you'll find lots of recipes. You may need to do protein treatments at some point, since you have chemical damage, but curlies almost always need moisture so that's a great place to start.

sun-kissed
July 25th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I know practically nothing about curly hair, so I'm going to leave the help-talk to the experts on here. But I had to pop in and say it looks like you have a great curl pattern! I hope you will be sticking around and sharing progress photos, your hair looks pretty good under the frizz, once you get a good curly routine down they should be more than stunning!

jacqueline101
July 25th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I'd try the curly method.

akilina
July 25th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Wow! Love the first picture. I definitely suggest good moisture treatments. Have you heard of the SMT?
It has conditioner, aloe vera (the real stuff) and honey.
I personally modify mine though. I use a few of my favorite conditioners for protein and moisture, add some aloe vera, and some oil of choice at that time.

I don't know anything about the CG method really, so I don't know what you are already doing. I would also recommend an oil you really like to spread thru your hair while its wet after washing. Or if you are not opposed to products- something nice and lush and creamy. It probably doesn't fall under your CG method, but Curly Sexy Hairs "curl creme" is amazing. It adds moisture to your curl and helps to refine it and make it nice and smooth looking, while enhancing your curl.

Another thing you may or may not be opposed to would be to have someone go in with some mini clippers and trim your neck hair line. :) I know that sounds scary, but it makes a world of difference with how your hair actually lays. Just like having your outline etched out on a normal hair cut.

If you went to a real true barber I can say with confidence that they could do this for you and understand exactly what you mean so there would be no room for a mistake.
I am a hairdresser myself but it seems that many other stylists tend to do completely strange, retarded, blasphemous things from time to time and I would hate for someone to mess up your hair.

Something a lady who I worked with at my last job taught me was that she would go in on the back of the hair where your neck line travels up to your ears and trim out just the tiniest tiniest less than an 1/8 of an inch and shave it. It is virtually unnoticeable.

I used to do this to long haired men of all sorts.. They were always incredibly happy with how it looked :] It would just get rid of those awkward frizzies.

It makes a huge world of difference but I understand that is a scary thought....and no guarantees that you could find a stylist that could actually do it and not screw up, although this procedure is SO simple. A licensed barber could also do this without fail.

Even if that sounds horrifying to you, I think you would truly benefit from it in how your hair lays and how those little frizzies on the side are.
Not saying you would have to do this at all, just suggesting something that would really help :D

CurlyCurves
July 25th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I'm a curly girl who nursed her hair back to health. I'm going out right now, but when I get home, I'll be more than happy to help :)

daredevil14
July 28th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Thank you all for your kind replies, I really appreciate them :)

Update: the CG method is definitely working :) yesterday was my 2nd bath without a shampoo, I must say, the results are kinda improving with each time, my hair is curlier now and looks more healthy than ever!

I may post some update photos later on, thx again!