PDA

View Full Version : Anyone found their perfect hair routine??

ylime
July 25th, 2012, 04:24 AM
or are close to it?
Because I think I might be, and it's exciting :joy:

I currently (once or twice a week) :

1) condition my ends with alberto basalm moisture milks in stawberry and cream or passion fruit
2)put the alberto basalm shampoo (stawberries and cream) on my scalp only- it is fairly diluted
3) condition HEAVILY with the alberto conditioner AND tresseme's naturals conditioner
4) air dry naturally, then only the tiniest amount of baby oil

OMG!!! it makes my hair so super soft... I never ever thought my hair could be this soft!

anybody else found their perfect routine? or are close to it?? I'd LOVE to hear what you all do :D

DarkCurls
July 25th, 2012, 04:33 AM
CWC and mineral oil, basically? I can see how that would work well.

Mmf... I thought I had found the perfect routine, but then I decided my hair was overmoisturised and did a protein treatment. Yeeouch. Bad idea. Back to very moisturising routine for me. CO-washing, with mineral oil on the ends (isn't that stuff amazing?), seems to work best for softness for me. But I don't think it's the perfect routine yet.

MissAlida
July 25th, 2012, 04:33 AM
I think I finally found my routine.:) I tought it would be more natural, when I first joined LHC, but after all, we must do what is good for our hair. So, here it is:

1. Put cone free conditioner on scalp and lenght. Cover with shower cap and towel, and leave it on for half an hour or more.
2. Lightly wet my scalp (without rinsing the conditoner out), and apply my shampoo.
3. Rinse it all off.
4. Use white vinegar rinse.
5. Rinse the vinegar off.
6. Towel dry, scrunch with mousse and/or with hair oil. Air dry. Spray it with water and scrunch every morning till next wash.;)

Bene
July 25th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Wash, condition, up in a towel, oil, detangle, damp bun. And then leave it the f**k alone.

But that was roughly my routine before a big chop and I discovered that I'm really good at blowdrying and flat ironing. Went back to my hair routine roots when I decided to grow long.

MintChocChip
July 25th, 2012, 04:40 AM
or are close to it?

1) condition my ends with alberto basalm moisture milks in stawberry and cream or passion fruit
2)put the alberto basalm shampoo (stawberries and cream) on my scalp only- it is fairly diluted
3) condition HEAVILY with the alberto conditioner AND tresseme's naturals conditioner

OMG!!! it makes my hair so super soft... I never ever thought my hair could be this soft!

anybody else found their perfect routine? or are close to it?? I'd LOVE to hear what you all do :D

I'm the same as you, I use alberto basalm products! I'm prone to allergic reactions with hair products but I've never had any problems with alberto! Plus they're like a quid each! What a bargain! :D

I'm pretty happy with my routine which is:

1. Oil my hair at night with (predominantly) sweet almond oil and sometimes coconut oil before I braid my hair for the night.
2. I wash my hair twice a week on Tuesdays and Saturdays (CWC method). One of those times I will do a SMT though (Saturdays!) and once a month I do a protein treatment with coconut milk.
3. For my CWC I'm currently using Alberto tea tree tingle shampoo for my scalp and pretty much any and all of the conditioners for conditioning. (I buy lots and use them in rotation.)
4. Do an ACV rinse after all of conditioner has been rinsed out and leave the ACV rinse in.
5. Air dry without touching. Comb with a wide toothed comb and lightly oil when dry.

WaitingSoLong
July 25th, 2012, 05:45 AM
I have one.
Pre-wash scalp oil/massage with Jojoa oil fragrances with my sleek serum. Wash twice a week. Saturdays and Wednesdays. Shampoo does not really matter but I use Pantene Ice Shine because that is the conditioner I MUST use.

I lightly oil or put sleeking serum on it between washes to help tame bun frizzies. I wear it up pretty much always, at least braided.

Ta da. That is it.

I may do a DCT once every couple months or so but they never seem to make much of a difference, it is more like a pampering thing when I have that chance to be alone for awhile.

Madora
July 25th, 2012, 07:02 AM
1) Brush daily (100 strokes) with a pure bbb

2) Shampoo once a month with diluted George Michael Pink
shampoo

3) Use mineral Oil to detangle/condition

Works for me!

sakuraemily
July 25th, 2012, 07:48 AM
or are close to it?

Good for you! but doen't it make your hair even the teensiest bit stringy. My hair always looks greasy even with most negligible amount of oil.
I thought I'd found my routine but my hair gets a bit dry after my Wednesday wash:
Wash with shampoo and conditioner on sunday after heavy oiling with olive oil overnight.
Wash with shikakai reetha paste on wednesday after light coconut oiling.

cobden 28
July 25th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Once a week, I wash my hair using shampoo and conditioner by L'Oreal - reccommended to me by my student daughter whose hair is the texture of straw because she dyes it so regularly. Emma says anything by L'Oreal is good for your hair.

In the height of summer I towel-dry my hair before brushing it back off my face, and wearing an Alice band while my hair dries naturally. At any other time of year I tie my hair back in a ponytail before letting it dry naturally; I don't possess a hair-dryer (haven't used one for years).

kitcatsmeow
July 25th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Yep! CWC. I change up the products sometimes but they are all cone and sulfate free. I use a little BS in my shampoo and finish with an ACV rinse. Leave in conditioner, mineral oil and seal it all with some argan oil. I always wrap when it's mostly dry and so far I haven't really run into any snags with this in the last few months!

I only wash every 4-6 days.

Ticky
July 25th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I am happy with my current routine. I wash it once a week (shampoo and conditioner, let it air dry) then run a brush/comb/whatever I have at my hands through it every now and then. Throw in clarifying once in a blue moon when I feel like I need it, and that's all.

BrownEyedBeauty
July 25th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I wash my hair 2-3 times a week.

I use EVOO about once per week. I leave the oil in my hair for at least several hours if not longer before it gets washed out.

I almost always CWC. Then, I gently squeeze (not wring) out the excess water, put my hair up in a towel for about 15 minutes, then let it air dry. Once it is about 75% dry, I use a wide tooth flexible comb to gently comb through my hair.

I usually wear my hair up to protect it and just have it out of the way. Once in a while if its a nice warm day and not too windy, I will leave it down especially on the day that I wash it because I love how voluminous it is when its freshly washed.

I

Othala
July 25th, 2012, 09:46 AM
My perfect routine....changes every few weeks...and that's a perfect arrangement for my restless mind.

Deborah
July 25th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I wash once a week with a cheap conditioner with 1 teaspoon citric acid powder and twice as much very warm water as the conditioner, shaken together well.

I rinse with water, then a final rinse in one quart cold water with 3/4 teaspoon citric acid powder shaken in. Don't rinse it out.

My hair is clean and shiny with this very simple routine.

heidi w.
July 25th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I simply wash my hair; condition the length with Biolage's Conditioning Balm; then air dry, detangle then oil and then BBB. And that's it. Been doing this for at least around 14 years. The only change that's happened is I changed shampoos and I no longer ACV. (I do scalp wash.)

heidi w.

anitacs9101
July 25th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Not really. :o I love CO-washing, but I have so much shampoo/coney conditioner left and I don't want to waste it :( So I figured I would do regular washings, working on stretching as long as possible, until I use at least most of the conditioner. It's family-size although I use a ton of conditioner so I guess it shouldn't take too long lol.

As of now I wash around 1-2 times a week, doing heavy coconut oilings or moisturizing masques (current ones are Organix argan oil intensive moisturizing treatment and Garnier Nutrisse moisturizing masque) the night before.

Cowgirl16
July 25th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I simply wash my hair; condition the length with Biolage's Conditioning Balm; then air dry, detangle then oil and then BBB. And that's it. Been doing this for at least around 14 years. The only change that's happened is I changed shampoos and I no longer ACV. (I do scalp wash.)

heidi w.
I am curious as to why you stopped ACV?

Biolage is the best!

ravenreed
July 25th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Every other day- CO with Suave (non-coconut), followed by an ACV rinse, followed by a catnip rinse. Use combo of silk and pearl powder as a dry shampoo in between days if needed. Occasional deep oilings with argan and camellia oil mixed together. Every couple of months- shampoo with SLS shampoos.

I may deviate slightly, but I always come back to this.

Tristania
July 25th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I used to have a nearly perfect routine, until we had a water softener and filter installed. I'm still trying to adjust to that, as it's really hard to tell when to stop rinsing now. I also added castor oil to my routine lately, so I'm still experimenting with that too.

akilina
July 25th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I feel my routine is perfected because it works for me.
I have no real schedule for washing, I usually wash everyday because I feel it needs it, but I want to start going back to CO, then stretching it.
I use a different leave in everyday, weather it be oil, or product.
I have found that no routine is my routine and that works best :)
Also, constantly switching it up for me works.

nobeltonya
July 25th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Yes, after 1.5 or so years of trying various things.. and finally realizing how coarse my hair is and how to deal with it. :rolling:

Every night, I heavily oil and massage scalp and length with pure coconut oil. For the longest time, I would always mix the CO with some other oil, but it actually works much better by itself. Then, bunning with spin pins keeps my sons and husband off of it and out of the way while I sleep. :)

Every morning, I shampoo, heavily condition and apply a small amount of leave-in to scalp and length. Then comb. The following products are what I've found work best:

Shampoo: Sunsilk Dream Soft & Smooth <3 <3 <3
Conditioner: Aussie Miraculously Smooth <3 <3 <3
Leave-In: GF Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Cream <3 <3 <3

I leave it down for maybe 15-20 minutes for the leave-in to soak, then bun until [lately] I'm ready to braid it. Today, though, it's been up in a french twist for the last few hours.. have to take it down to finish drying. :disco:

luxepiggy
July 25th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I have!! (^(oo)^)v

Fingercombing, modified 2-step CO-wash with aminosilicones every 3-4 days, ascorbic/citric acid rinses, PVA towels, fingercombing, Aquage Beyond Shine, silk pillow covers, biweekly deep treatments.

Lady Neeva
July 25th, 2012, 01:12 PM
After a couple of months of natural care, I switched to cones. Which, ironically, made my hair a lot easier to deal with.

ylime
July 25th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Good for you! but doen't it make your hair even the teensiest bit stringy.

i haven't had that problem yet! my hair just seem to soak it up!
maybe it could be due to the differing hair types/textures, because i am boardering on a 3a but mostly 2b/c :)

earthnut
July 25th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I had one that worked for years, but then stopped working, or maybe my wants changed, anywho it was:

1. shampoo with a little baby shampoo
2. condition with lots of pantene
3. comb or brush
4. air dry

Now I'm trying to encourage my curls, and I think I'm close to a "perfect" routine:

1. preen dry hair
2. turn on water, apply conditioner and detangle as I work it in (4 pumps to length, 1 to scalp), no not rinse
3. plop (preferably overnight)
4. air-dry
olive oil on ends, protein treatments, deep conditioning as needed. (haven't worked out the frequency for these yet)

prettykitty
July 26th, 2012, 01:45 AM
I love my current routine (pre-oil scalp and length overnight, wash with poo bar or SLS free shampoo, conditioner, ACV rinse, cold water rinse, panacea on ends, light oiling through length) but I'm always messing with it. Clearly for me perfection is just too dull :p

nowheregirl
July 26th, 2012, 03:28 AM
My routine is not perfect, but its close... i shampoo every 2-3 days with a coney shampoo (Dove/ Pantene/Loreal/Sunsilk), put a few drops of olive oil, wash it off with water...then use some coney conditioner (ditto)..
After that I put a coney leave in serum (loreal/ Garnier or Dove) mixed with a drop or two of coconut oil in my damp hair and use a wide-tooth comb. I have 2a-2b shoulder lenght hair and sometimes i'd put my damp hair in a bun if i'm in mood for wavy but most of the times i'd just let it air dry and wear it down almost straight.
I would put a little more(4-5 drops of serum + 1/2 drops of olive oil in the next morning if i'm not washing my hair) in this way i can incorporate both coconut and olive (which i believe is the only two oil that can actually penetrate hair) regularly.
I dont use any other kind of product except deep oiling(olive/coconut) once or twice a month maybe...and my hair has never been better :)

bunnylake
July 26th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I have not found my perfect routine yet, I am in the experimental phase!
Currently:
-Detangle with wide-tooth comb
-Daily wash/condition with Renpure Argan Oil S&C.
-Plopping in a tshirt
-Renpure Argan leave-in oil
-Occasional coconut oil/olive oil deep treatment, protein treatment with Hask Henna Placenta pack.
-Braiding at night

I'm about to venture into the world of COwashing, or at least try giving up cones to see if it helps my frizz to chill out. A microfiber towel and a few different oils are currently on my wishlist. We shall see!

proo
July 26th, 2012, 07:54 AM
SO method
Twice daily preen/comb for 5 minutes.
Daily crown braid, nightly topknot.
Bimonthly microdust.
Thickest, shiniest hair o my life.
5" circumference, I'm 53.

lechatn0ir
July 26th, 2012, 08:48 AM
My routine is wash every other day with shampoo and conditioner and air dry. I oil with coconut oil every couple of days too. Simple huh?