PDA

View Full Version : Help - Direct Dye/Semi/Demi ??

Cafe au Lait
July 25th, 2012, 12:19 AM
It was recommended to me that after I used Color Oops, that I used a direct deposit dye over it. I bought Clairol Natural Insticts, which I had thought was a direct dye.. But it turns out it isn't??

Is this okay to use? Or should I search the streets for a direct deposit? Who knew this dyeing stuff was so stressful??

What should I do? I need to dye it back tomorrow before I go back to work on Thursday.. I need some major help. I shouldn't be left to my own devices!

akilina
July 25th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Well direct deposit is more like crazy colored dyes. Like a veggie dye like manic panic. Something that does not need a developer to oxidize it and make the chemical reaction happen.
May I ask who told you this? And are they professional at all? Where did they get their knowledge...
If your Clairol dye is NON permanent, Then it is a deposit only dye.
Permanent color lifts color, then deposits color.
Any non permanent color deposits only.
Makes really simple sense to me :] Hopefully that is broke down simply for ya.

pink.sara
July 25th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Clairol natural instincts has a peroxide developer which you mix in with the colour. This is why they list it as lasting 20+ washes.
Using something with peroxide after colour oops runs the risk of re-oxidising any dye molecules left behind and re- darkening to the colour you removed.
If you can get your hands on a dye which says it lasts 6-8 washes it won't contain peroxide and you'll be good to go.

Some times you will have rinsed well enough to prevent the re-oxidising and will be able to use a peroxide dye, but I'd wait at least 3 shampoos to be sure.

Cafe au Lait
July 25th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Ah, I knew it. I may be able to get my hands on Clairol Beautiful Collection, which I believe is deposit dye. Hopefully that one will work? Thanks for the help!

akilina
July 25th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Clairol natural instincts has a peroxide developer which you mix in with the colour. This is why they list it as lasting 20+ washes.
Using something with peroxide after colour oops runs the risk of re-oxidising any dye molecules left behind and re- darkening to the colour you removed.
If you can get your hands on a dye which says it lasts 6-8 washes it won't contain peroxide and you'll be good to go.

Some times you will have rinsed well enough to prevent the re-oxidising and will be able to use a peroxide dye, but I'd wait at least 3 shampoos to be sure.
I guess I should know things like this, I never "learned" about color oops, just my own experimenting :) I was always wanting an explanation as to why mine tends to always re-darken- even when using henna.

Cafe au Lait
July 25th, 2012, 10:28 AM

Hmmm.. so does mean I wouldn't have to buy one shade lighter in case it darkens? Or it would probably still darken, due to my hair being so porous after the Color Oops..

pink.sara
July 25th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hmmm.. so does mean I wouldn't have to buy one shade lighter in case it darkens? Or it would probably still darken, due to my hair being so porous after the Color Oops..

If you used a 6-8 wash dye with no peroxide it should only go as dark as the box indicates.
It's the peroxide reacting with the left over molecules from the previous dye colour, or over saturation from the porosity that would cause hair to be significantly darker than intended.

I've found dyes without peroxide to be much truer colour wise.

HTH :)

And Akilina my mothers a trained hairdresser who specialized in colour, and I've got 17 years of hardcore dye abuse behind me, I may have tried almost everything on at least myself and usually friends too >.< If I wasn't a hair geek I'd be bald by now ;)

akilina
July 25th, 2012, 02:13 PM
If you used a 6-8 wash dye with no peroxide it should only go as dark as the box indicates.
It's the peroxide reacting with the left over molecules from the previous dye colour, or over saturation from the porosity that would cause hair to be significantly darker than intended.

And Akilina my mothers a trained hairdresser who specialized in colour, and I've got 17 years of hardcore dye abuse behind me, I may have tried almost everything on at least myself and usually friends too >.< If I wasn't a hair geek I'd be bald by now ;)
Thats cool you have a hairdresser as a mom though. My future kids will someday be lucky like that haha :D
We never learned about many color removers in beauty school. It seems the more traditional way was thru shampoo caps and bleaching.
And now I look back to the last time I used color oops and wonder WHY on earth I did not do a shampoo cap after my color oops because it was not intense enough. My hair could have easily handled that.
Out of all the professional and not professional color removers, color oops has been my favorite and most effective.

akilina
July 25th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I don't care deep down inside, but I hope I didn't come off as offensive in my very first post :)
I wasn't trying to say whoever told you that was wrong really.

BTW, how do you like your color after the oopsies?

Cafe au Lait
July 25th, 2012, 02:21 PM

Soooo helpful, thanks! You probably saved my hair from being too light or too dark. I got a dye with no peroxide, I'm going to put it in this afternoon.

My hair is super brassy right now! Good thing I don't have to be anywhere today.

pink.sara
July 25th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Soooo helpful, thanks! You probably saved my hair from being too light or too dark. I got a dye with no peroxide, I'm going to put it in this afternoon.

My hair is super brassy right now! Good thing I don't have to be anywhere today.

Haha, that's why whenever I feel like removing the black I start on a Saturday ;)

Hope your colour works.