PDA

View Full Version : Braids!

Hollyfire3
July 24th, 2012, 07:31 PM
So, lately, I have been VERY frusterated with my hair, its nearly BSL but not quite and its still far too thick with too little length to do all the pretty updos I try to cram it into, they all fail. But, today I realized, thick hair (any hair really) makes wonderful braids even with not so much length! I know there's a braid thread and I love the wonderful styles there, but I'm still wondering, what are YOUR favorite braids? I want to try them!:)

Kyla
July 24th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Five strand is my favorite! It took my a while to be able to do it on my own head (I practiced with rope first, the actual braid is not too difficult). I love it! I also like the Katniss side braid from the Hunger Games, I think the actress rocks it better than I do though.

Madora
July 24th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Hollyfire3, have you tried this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Easier to do than a 3 strand lace braid! But the technique is the same when you do a 3 strand lace.

I love crown braids, especially since I don't have enough hair to do my signature avatar picture. The crown braid is my "go to" style most of the time.

Hollyfire3
July 24th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Five strand is my favorite! It took my a while to be able to do it on my own head (I practiced with rope first, the actual braid is not too difficult). I love it! I also like the Katniss side braid from the Hunger Games, I think the actress rocks it better than I do though.

I LOVE the Katniss braid, working on making it my signature braid lol. Luckily for me, the actress's hair in the movie is like my hair twin (although without heat, just naturally like that) so I can do the braid just like hers, I LOVE it! Funny, Katniss has straight hair in the books...lol. I am trying to learn a five strand, its SO hard! I was looking for rope to practice and found none...:(\
Madora, I will get on trying that 2 strand twist, its so pretty! I just tried a crown braid, it was all wonky on the far side, need more practice I suppose..great suggestions so far thanks!

Demi-Plum
July 24th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I like TorrinPaige's Katness braid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToiAf4pSj5U&feature=plcp). it's a B to do sometimes but still. I haven't read/watched the Hunger Games and I don't plan on it, so I like the braid for the braid!

Hollyfire3
July 24th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I like TorrinPaige's Katness braid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToiAf4pSj5U&feature=plcp). it's a B to do sometimes but still. I haven't read/watched the Hunger Games and I don't plan on it, so I like the braid for the braid!

This looks so hard too! I just can't comprehend how to do a 4 strand, I can do a 5 strand on a small section, but a 4 strand escapes me so I have some work to do, this is a beautiful braid! The Hunger Games rock, but I respect you for not wanting to read them:)

Kyla
July 24th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I LOVE the Katniss braid, working on making it my signature braid lol. Luckily for me, the actress's hair in the movie is like my hair twin (although without heat, just naturally like that) so I can do the braid just like hers, I LOVE it! Funny, Katniss has straight hair in the books...lol. I am trying to learn a five strand, its SO hard! I was looking for rope to practice and found none...:(\
Madora, I will get on trying that 2 strand twist, its so pretty! I just tried a crown braid, it was all wonky on the far side, need more practice I suppose..great suggestions so far thanks!

Well, technically I didn't use "rope rope" top practice, but thin nylon rope, about the thickness of yarn. Speaking of yarn, you could practice with that instead maybe? Or do a tiny braid on a strand near your face.

minxe
July 24th, 2012, 08:04 PM
My favorite (http://imaginary-styles.iwarp.com/hair/ttt4.html) is probably the one Arwen wore in the Two Towers! It's two lace braids and six regular braids all woven into one four-strand braid. It's sooooo beautiful :)

sharonluvscats
July 24th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I love to turn this 4 strand into a french braid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikC3iN0H0ws. I'm not really able to do it anymore because I have to finish it over my shoulder and I just can't. It worked great when my hair was shorter though!

Hollyfire3
July 24th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I love to turn this 4 strand into a french braid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikC3iN0H0ws. I'm not really able to do it anymore because I have to finish it over my shoulder and I just can't. It worked great when my hair was shorter though!

This is especially wonderful, it will make a perfect french! Now if only I had another pair of hands to make it easier...and minxe, I don't think I have enough length for the Arwen braid, Loepsie's video proved that when I watched it and tried to replicate it so...someday

sharonluvscats
July 24th, 2012, 08:17 PM
This is especially wonderful, it will make a perfect french! Now if only I had another pair of hands to make it easier...and minxe, I don't think I have enough length for the Arwen braid, Loepsie's video proved that when I watched it and tried to replicate it so...someday

It has a really cool 3d look to it and unlike some of the other 4+ strand braid you don't lose a lot of your length.

MrsGuther
July 24th, 2012, 08:19 PM
My favorites are simple English braids, rope braids, and French braids. :)

Hollyfire3
July 24th, 2012, 08:27 PM
It has a really cool 3d look to it and unlike some of the other 4+ strand braid you don't lose a lot of your length.

I will try it then if it means my braids stay long! My BSL hair skrinks to just past SL in a normal braid...not cool! And MrsGuther, I love simple braids too, but I wanna see how many different types I can learn also, I'll always love the ones you mentioned though, they are so elegant and pretty!

Tia2010
July 24th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I love the Katniss side braid and the fishtail over the shoulder braid..(I can't do either of them :p but I love the look!) I'm determined to learn them...one day :rolleyes:

Hollyfire3
July 24th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I love the Katniss style braid and the fishtail over the shoulder braid...Neither of which I can do :p but I love the look! I'm determined to learn them...one day :rolleyes:

The Katniss braid is one I have done so much I can do it nearly as fast as she can in the books lol. Try it and try it again, It'll work eventually. Try fishtail braiding a smaller section of hair first, it makes it easier to see what you're doing, especially if you braid the bangs of your hair for practice. Good luck!

Deborah
July 24th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Hollyfire,

You may find that if you braid your hair first, you can then wrap it up into a nice bun. Some folks find that the braid makes the hair easier to handle, so they can achieve an updo pretty easily.

lmfbs
July 24th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I love 2 dutch braids down the side of my head braided into 1 at the bottom. I'll see if I can find a pic for you.

EDIT - here's a pic of one I did quickly last week at the pool - the pic is a bit blury, but I think you get the general gist
http://distilleryimage0.s3.amazonaws.com/10ec6da6d3d311e1a15422000a1e8687_7.jpg

Hollyfire3
July 24th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I love 2 dutch braids down the side of my head braided into 1 at the bottom. I'll see if I can find a pic for you.

EDIT - here's a pic of one I did quickly last week at the pool - the pic is a bit blury, but I think you get the general gist

This is beautiful! I am going to start wearing this, you have inspired me! And Deborah, all braiding my hair before bunning it does it gives me less length to work with and my braid won't even go around once to make a nice bun.

Thenolegirl
July 24th, 2012, 09:31 PM

Thanks for posting the tutorial =) Although I'm pretty sure Katniss's braid is just a very textured dutch braid with some twisted hair incorporated. Still, a lovely take on it.

My favorite is - the Katniss braid :P I wear it all the time and it's so easy to do whenever and wherever I am. For some reason, it's so much easier than a standard french or dutch braid down the middle of my head. Plus, the end can be bunned and it looks so fancy with minimal effort =)

sharonluvscats
July 25th, 2012, 07:22 AM

This is my second favorite braided look. It looks really unique, holds well throughout the day, and gives me awesome braid waves.

AgnesONutter
July 25th, 2012, 07:35 AM
I like just an ordinary, loose fishtail braid. It lends itself wonderfully to thicker hair, and shorter, messier braids. :)

Seeshami
July 25th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I love rope braids because they are fasts, when my hair was shorter I always French/dutch/lace braided it. I also like four strand.

MintChocChip
July 25th, 2012, 08:04 AM
To be honest I love pretty much any braid! But as a general rule my favourite sorts of braid are big loose dutch braids (without really being too messy). I feel that they're pretty and romantic and have a soft, feminine touch.

I really like this one (and variations of this too):

http://www.hairromance.com/2011/12/braided-upstyle-hair-romance-on-latest-hairstyles.html

jacqueline101
July 25th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I like the rope braid.

bunzfan
July 25th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Holly this is a good one for layers its one of my favourites .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA and this one to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9JGtBV0Ipo

ravenheather
July 25th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I like a dutch braid. I don't have enough length to do alot yet.

lapushka
July 25th, 2012, 11:59 AM
My all-time favorite is just a simple English sidebraid. Even a iii can do this at almost BSL; the braid is going to be a bit short, but anyway...

lmfbs
July 25th, 2012, 04:03 PM
This is my second favorite braided look. It looks really unique, holds well throughout the day, and gives me awesome braid waves.

Definitely holds well - I wore that braid in the pool for 2 hours playing underwater hockey, slept in it, then wore it to work the following day, and all it needed was the top smoothed with a bit of coconut oil. Great for if you're a bit lazy like me.

spirals
July 25th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I didn't know what rope braids were until this site. I'd seen them in elementary school; they were popular among the little AA girls, with barettes at the end of each. But they aren't popular where I live now. I mostly see English and French braids. I really like ropes and the spirally waves they impart. I like 4- and 5-strand braids, but have no idea how to do them.

lmfbs
July 25th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I didn't know what rope braids were until this site. I'd seen them in elementary school; they were popular among the little AA girls, with barettes at the end of each. But they aren't popular where I live now. I mostly see English and French braids. I really like ropes and the spirally waves they impart. I like 4- and 5-strand braids, but have no idea how to do them.

I find 4 + 5 strand braids so much easier to do that rope braids. My fingers somehow manage to cause one big knot when I do rope braids.

Hollyfire3
July 25th, 2012, 05:54 PM
My all-time favorite is just a simple English sidebraid. Even a iii can do this at almost BSL; the braid is going to be a bit short, but anyway...

Yes, I can do a short english braid, I can't wait till its long! It'll be a weapon! Lol, thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm working my way down the list! I really love all of these braids!:D

mary*rose
August 1st, 2012, 11:37 AM
My favorite type of braids are crowns. So far, I've only made them with a center part and two three-part braids, but I should change it up one of these days and do two four-piece, or fishtail or something :)

palaeoqueen
August 4th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Great thread! I can't do many braids yet, my hair is only just past shoulder and heavily layered but I'm looking forward to trying all these. At the moment I always do a French braid for sleeping, I'm getting quite good at it now. I can also do a fishtail braid but it's a bit pathetic and pointless looking so I only do it occasionally for around the house so that by the time my hair's long enough for it to look good I'll be well-practised. I can do a Dutch braid but it's quite messy, need more practise there. I just tried French braided pigtails and they're surprisingly decent considering I did a rush job on them. I need to try again when I'm concentrating more, it'll be a good style for everyday wear.

Did anyone else not learn how to braid (other than a plain English braid) their hair as a child? I remember the other girls having French braids and my mum never did my hair that way. I realise now that she probably didn't know how to.