PDA

View Full Version : Protein treatment

Jenny777
July 24th, 2012, 03:43 PM
How often should one do a protein treatment? I have fine/thin hair so not sure on the frequency for my hair type.

Are 2 step protein packs from Sally Beauty Supply any good?

lmfbs
July 24th, 2012, 04:04 PM
There's no set routine. Look to see what your hair wants first. Most people need moisture a lot more than they need protein, so I would definitely go down the moisture route too - too much protein makes my hair snap off - and it's a real pain to fix!

earthnut
July 24th, 2012, 04:24 PM
My basic routine for a deep treatment is to wet the hair, apply a generous amount of the deep treatment all over my hair, and fingercomb or comb it in well. Let it sit for as long as I can stand (usually 30 minutes) your hair may like a shorter or longer amount of time. You could even put a cap on and sleep on it. Then rinse very thoroughly and do your regular shampoo/conditioner (or whatever) routine. Shampoo isn't usually necessary for a protein treatment, only sometimes for deep conditioning. Conditioning is more important after a protein treatment, obviously not so much for after a deep conditioning.

As for the particular protein treatment, there's a variety of things you can use. Some people like foods like coconut milk, avocado, or egg. However, the proteins in foods are pretty big and don't penetrate hair that well. You can make an easy strong protein treatment from gelatin, recipe here (http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html). You could use a high protein conditioner, like some VO5 conditioners or all Nature's Gate conditioners. Look for something with "hydrolyzed" in the ingredients. There are also products specifically to be used as protein treatments.

Some hair likes certain proteins, others not so much. You'll have to experiment a little to see which proteins your hair likes, how much, and how often. Fine and porous hair tends to like protein more frequently. Over-proteined hair is usually stiff, brittle, and strawlike.

catamonica
July 24th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I read online that dehydrated mince onion or dehydrated chopped onion makes the hair thicker. I used minced onion & I am using chopped onion right now. I added one capful to my shampoo. It made my hair feel thicker. I also added two capfuls
of olive oil to shampoo & conditioner. And Aloe Vera get to my conditoner. Which
makes your hair real soft. The olive oil makes it soft to. Hope this helps your hair.