PDA

View Full Version : Hairpieces for women (not extensions) - share your knowledge

Tai Shan Fan
August 5th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Has anyone used clip-in hairpices to bulk up their hair for special occasions? Not just for length exactly, but for something that adds bulk to the crown or bangs etc

Share your experiences, recommendations and advice please :flowers:

Gabriel
August 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I've used some before at different times for different effects. Now my hair is too long/bulky generally except for maybe a few synthetic clippie types.

I've used small highlight clippies in wild colors for the approximation of coloured hair highlights. A few cleverly woven here and there actually fooled a lot of people into thinking I'd gone colour crazy. It also added bulk to my somewhat thin (due to color/razor cut/hightlight/generally over stressed hair) I could very carefully style/cut these, they were made of synthetic hair. Very very gentle styling, otherwise I ended up with plastic cottonballs of hair clumps on a clip.

These were very secure as long as the clippie had enough hair in it's teeth.

I've used a larger "fall" style clip. My hair was shoulder length at the time (just long enough to gather into a ponytail) and the synthetic hair was beautiful, curly (swoon) ringlets. It matched my then, box-dyed-black hair perfectly and when I wore it no one knew it wasn't my real hair except for the fact I went from bob to shoulder length, cascading updo in a day.

This one didn't feel too secure, but the fall was attached to a claw clip and I've never been too good with claw clips holding well in my hair.

I've had a weft of human hair. This has lasted the longest and gone through colorings and styling to match my hair. I've mainly used it as a ponytail/bun attachment. I actually shocked a lot of people by pulling it out of my hair to demonstrate how easy it is to go from short to long.

Well, longish *grin* not LHC of course.

I'd say for ease of style, go with a high quality synthetic. Generally they last a long time now and come with instructions about how to care/wash/dry/style each piece. They are usually fairly moderately priced where a human hair weft will cost a bit more, especially the longer you go.

Julesn
August 5th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Check out these sites:

www.wigs.com

www.hairextensions.com

They have some great clip ons like what you're looking for :)

HTH

Julie :)

Tai Shan Fan
August 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks for your input Gabriel and Julesn :flowers:

Anyone else?

saracuda
August 6th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I have a long blonde fall attached to a claw clip. It's curly and pretty. My favorite style with it is to put my hair up in a bun and then clip the claw at the back, then wind the hair around my bun and pin it in place. It makes a really pretty, romantic updo! I wore it to my class reunion a couple years ago and fooled a lot of people!

laurachiplock
August 7th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I wear the fake ponytail clips all the time when I'm not in the mood to do my hair & people NEVER know.

It does get heavy by the end of the day, but its so easy & looks nice.

When I get a compliment, if its someone I know, I just tell them its a hairpiece & they are shocked.
If I dont know them, I just smile & say thank you......

Tai Shan Fan
August 8th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Thank you, Saracuda and Laurachiplock :flowers:

It's good that they blend in and look natural. That's important to me.

Magdalene
August 8th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I have a curly fall for Irish dancing (though I never wear it for that!) It's alot of fun!

Tai Shan Fan
August 16th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I have a curly fall for Irish dancing (though I never wear it for that!) It's alot of fun!

That's great that the fall should be secure enough to dance in. Thanks for your reply :)

manderly
August 16th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I had a Jessica Simpson hair weft when I first decided I wanted to grow. Unfortunately my haircolor changed drastically and I ended up trading it.

I loved it, but only wore it a couple of times because I got funny looks from my parents. Strangers never seemed to notice :D

It made me happy to have long hair.

Tai Shan Fan
August 27th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Thank you, Manderly for your reply :flowers:I'm sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this thread. I wondered if something existed that could enhance volume as much as length, but now am considering how I could use a clip on length piece - or whatever they're called, to bulk up an updo. My fine, thin hair compresses to such a small space even though it's at waist and I was thinking for special occasions that a hairpiece might enhance the possibility of wow-factor updos I could do. I suppose I want bigger hair more than longer hair if that makes sense.

Elainehali
August 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I use fake hair to bulk up some styles. My hair came as a clip on pony, but I put a rubber band around the top and cut the hair from the clip. Then put hot glue on the secured end to keep pieces from falling out.

I put the fake pony in with my real hair when I make the starting pony for an updo. This way the color doesn't have to match perfect, because the fake hair will hopefully be in the center of your real hair. And nobody sees the rubber banded part.

The other day I found out from a friend there are places that sell plastic hair by the inch. So if you're in a large city you may want to look for a place like that, it's cheaper than cutting up wigs.

So if you're crafty, you could make your own extensions to bulk up your hair. That way you'd get the right color, length, texture and MUCH cheaper.

Tai Shan Fan
September 12th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Elainehali :flower: I'll keep my eye out for places that sell artificial hair cheaply, thanks :)

Gladtobemom
September 12th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I've used hairpieces back in college when I was in plays.

By far the most fun was a waist length halo of hair. It was a circle of hair that you put on like a headband. Of course it's underneath and on top, then you comb your front hair over it in front. It was so easy and looked really good. Really gave me that "big bouncy hair" look. (it was rolled on big rollers and so was my hair.

Angelica
September 13th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I have used them because they give me more confidence when I have a downer about my hair. it is the only way I can get ultra long thick hair. Mostly people do not realise that they are fake when they are being worn, some do though. It is the jaw clips which give them away. Sometimes a wrong clip can give headaches though. I have been known to change some of the jaw clips. I haven't worn them for ages though. My hair looks darker up anyway so the colour is easier to match.