PDA

View Full Version : Kind (Hair Related) Gestures?

Cania
July 24th, 2012, 01:04 PM
We have threads on here about cruel/silly things people say about long hair, and compliments too.

I would like to hear about the nice things people have done for you and your hair.
(Couldn't find a thread like this, but go ahead and delete it if I just missed it!)

So I'll kick off with my examples :)
Last Christmas my mother got me a cute, furry hat. When I opened it, she was quick to point out that it was lined with silk, and she made sure it was so that my "beautiful hair" wouldn't get damaged. I was so touched!
More recently, I asked her to pick up some hair bands for me from the super market. She made sure that she got me the hair-friendly kind without metal, and I didn't even have to ask.

DBF also offers to brush my hair for me, and is somehow even more careful than I am about doing so :p

So, lets hear yours :)

joflakes
July 24th, 2012, 01:10 PM
DBF asks me if he can brush my hair when I get out the shower somtimes and it is so cute. I love it! He teases me saying "you should cut your hair short!" (he persuaded me to cut to pixie, but it needed it!) and then I always mock disgust and then he laughs and tells me my hair looks lovely :crush:

Amber_Maiden
July 24th, 2012, 01:12 PM
My mom would come to my apartment, when I was sick, and brush my hair. And she still does, when I'm too busy taking of my baby to do it myself.

DaniVerde
July 24th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I've shared this one before, but I'll tell it again (since I like to brag :p )

Sometimes, at night, just before we fall asleep, SO (who is one of those stereotypical über-macho Italian guys) cuddles me up from behind, wraps the ends of my hair around his fingers and whispers to it, "Grow, grow". :D :love:

Melts my heart :crush:

DarkCurls
July 24th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Sometimes, at night, just before we fall asleep, SO (who is one of those stereotypical über-macho Italian guys) cuddles me up from behind, wraps the ends of my hair around his fingers and whispers to it, "Grow, grow". :D :love:

Oo Amazing.
That's so cute. :p

Cania
July 24th, 2012, 01:30 PM
N'aww, those are all so sweet! What lucky girls we are to have such wonderful people in our lives :)

Naphthylamine
July 24th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Well, almost to everyone, handling of their hair by their SO's are considered as a kind hair gesture. For us, it's quite the opposite. DBF has sweaty palms and keeps his hands off my hair, knowing that he'll likely pull some hair even his intentions are good. I consider this as an act of kindness and understanding :)

Dovetail
July 24th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Aw! Everyone is so cute! DH will detangle my hair for me when its really matted and he sees me getting frustrated and ripping at it. <3 hes so much softer with it than i am.

brave
July 24th, 2012, 03:06 PM
DBF keeps his mouth shut when I buy too much conditioner or put weird things on my head. That's love.

Bene
July 24th, 2012, 03:08 PM
When my b/f sees plain yogurt in the fridge, he asks if it's okay to eat or if it's for one of those weird hair projects I'm planning. When I tell him it's okay for him to use, he'll say something like "I don't need much, I just wanna make a lassi. There should be plenty leftover for your hair stuff"

Then again, I'm not sure if it's a gesture of kindness or a survival instinct in practice.

Alexandriaweb
July 24th, 2012, 03:56 PM
My other half tells me what styles he thinks would look good on my hair when we're watching Game of Thrones :p

brave
July 24th, 2012, 07:14 PM
When my b/f sees plain yogurt in the fridge, he asks if it's okay to eat or if it's for one of those weird hair projects I'm planning. When I tell him it's okay for him to use, he'll say something like "I don't need much, I just wanna make a lassi. There should be plenty leftover for your hair stuff"

Then again, I'm not sure if it's a gesture of kindness or a survival instinct in practice.
Mine now questions every food purchase I make because he apparently thinks all food has alternate applications for hair.

Kyla
July 24th, 2012, 07:19 PM
DBF will always detangle my hair when it's caught in something, very very gently. He's also braided it for me before (albeit not very well...). :)

akilina
July 24th, 2012, 08:01 PM
For my birthday a few weeks ago my mom got me two hair forks :)
They are totally awesome. It made me happy that she picked them out for me, and I ended up absolutely loving both of them.

akilina
July 24th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Hmm another, my bf always tells me how great long hair would look on me. I do not take this offensively, but take it more like he supports what I am aiming for :)

CurlyCap
July 24th, 2012, 10:11 PM
My friends know I'm allergic to a lot of metals and plastics and so I can't wear a lot of costume jewelry.

Instead, they keep their eyes peeled for bright pretty hairtoys because they know I'll love them. It is the awesome. :D

KristiLe
July 24th, 2012, 10:42 PM

That has to be THE most precious thing I've ever heard!

Mononoke
July 24th, 2012, 11:49 PM
All of your stories are so sweet! :)

Ayjay
July 25th, 2012, 03:37 AM
My husband helps me dye the under layer of my hair and doesn't look at me weird when I obsess about my hair or moan about how I can't get a hair style to look right.

Shiranshoku
July 25th, 2012, 03:43 AM
My SO hates my longer hair to pieces. The shed hairs, the tickling, me combing it in inappropriate places, ... And he prefers it short. Not much kind words for my hair, there :)

Yet sometimes, when I do a style, he stares at it and says: whoah, that's neat.

But my little sister is a doll. Everytime I let down my hair, she goes 'oooh, it's grown so much! It's so pretty! It's so soft! You can do such nice styles!' and that's pretty sweet :)

Tisiloves
July 25th, 2012, 03:57 AM
My housemate doesn't complain that I'm keeping nearly a kilo of henna in tupperware in our salad drawer.

Nellon
July 25th, 2012, 04:08 AM
My bf will tease me about something, and have me go mad (half jokingly) at him. And then he'll look at me and say: your hair is soo nice!

And it always makes me laugh because he knows, and I know that there is no better way to get me into a good mood than compliment my hair ;)

MeowScat
July 25th, 2012, 09:30 AM
DH and I share an eBay account and I had put some hairsticks and U-shaped pins on our Watch List. He wakes up before I do so he gets the mail. One day he hands me a package and guess what it was? Yup, those hairsticks and pins!

I was so excited because they are my first. I've been using scrunchies, Spin Pins and claw clips only. I still need to try out my new hairtoys and I can't wait!

Woo-hoo!! :D

truepeacenik
July 25th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I'm not fond of scrunchies. I don't own any, but I have one in a jewelry box.
This is the tale on a day at a concert, where I was a stage tech and had front of house duties at the gate.
One day, my hair was escaping every possible bun. I'd put it up several times and was getting quite frustrated. My buddy, the sound engineer, is enough of a sadist to enjoy it for a short while. This is why we are friends. No kid gloves here. We even dated a while.
He decides that it has gone from funny to dangerous, and grabs one of his own scrunchies.
He tells me to put down the monitor wedge and pulls my hair stick out. He buns my hair for me, and uses the scrunchie to hold it.
It wasn't holding like iron, but a very good job for someone with mid shoulder blade length hair working with (at the time) tailbone.
He even suspected my hair was too slippery and used my own sweat to help it hold. (and, I suspect, his)
that is the scrunchie I kept.

Another friend teaches Watsu massage, both as a massage modality and as part of corporate team building.
We are in a start up together. I was the model for his demonstration at our last meeting.
I've been his model in classes, too.
He always refers to my hair as "beautiful, long red hair."
Even in discussions about how clients can keep their hair up. I'm a tester for those options, too.

heidi w.
July 25th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Most people have no idea I have this much hair since I wear it up all the time, and doesn't appear as big a bun as the volume of hair I actually possess. Most people have no idea even who I am in the long hair world, and all the projects I've done regarding hair over time. Most people have no idea of my hair collection, for example (long hair art, antique combs, old shampoo ads, postcards....)

Nice things people have done: last Christmas I received a brand new Madora hair comb that someone on LHC ordered me; I also received two little silvery decorate flowers to put into my hair from another LHC member (and a few super nice things too). I am not very good at being johnny-on-the-spot with thank you notes. People have put me up in their house during a trip, which was ever so nice. People have paid various types of compliments. The nicest thing for me out of the long hair is that I've met some truly wonderful people in person, and have come to know a few of them, and I always look forward to hearing from my long-haired friends.

People have thanked me on LHC for various things in posts and PMs. It's just been really nice to have this go-to forum for human contact. Right now, it's all I've got, so it means a lot to me.

Thank you.
heidi w.

jacqueline101
July 25th, 2012, 10:33 AM
My friend who has sort of long hair. He always makes sure my hair is up at all times.

hyettf16
July 25th, 2012, 10:43 AM
My DBF and I look out for each other's hair. His is almost as long as mine. :inlove:

ravenheather
July 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I don't have any stories of my own since I don't have alot of support on my hair growing journey. But I just have to say how sweet these stories are.

Cania
July 25th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Just want you all to know that I'm reading every post on here - it would just take up way too much space to reply to each of you individually. Your stories are just lovely though :)

I don't have any stories of my own since I don't have alot of support on my hair growing journey. But I just have to say how sweet these stories are.

Well, you have all of us for support! :D

dawnss
July 25th, 2012, 03:33 PM
These are really sweet and a refreshing break. I like when people randomly compliment my hair. One of the sweetest moments I had was when I got off the city bus and my hair was in two simple french braids and this women runs up to me and tells me I have pretty hair.

I really like it though when my mom asks me for hair advice or when she uses some of my products, it lets me know that I am doing something right.

thirstylocks
July 25th, 2012, 03:59 PM
My housemate doesn't complain that I'm keeping nearly a kilo of henna in tupperware in our salad drawer.

Hahahahahah :D

ravenheather
July 25th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Most people have no idea I have this much hair since I wear it up all the time, and doesn't appear as big a bun as the volume of hair I actually possess. Most people have no idea even who I am in the long hair world, and all the projects I've done regarding hair over time. Most people have no idea of my hair collection, for example (long hair art, antique combs, old shampoo ads, postcards....)

Nice things people have done: last Christmas I received a brand new Madora hair comb that someone on LHC ordered me; I also received two little silvery decorate flowers to put into my hair from another LHC member (and a few super nice things too). I am not very good at being johnny-on-the-spot with thank you notes. People have put me up in their house during a trip, which was ever so nice. People have paid various types of compliments. The nicest thing for me out of the long hair is that I've met some truly wonderful people in person, and have come to know a few of them, and I always look forward to hearing from my long-haired friends.

People have thanked me on LHC for various things in posts and PMs. It's just been really nice to have this go-to forum for human contact. Right now, it's all I've got, so it means a lot to me.

Thank you.
heidi w.

I've always found your posts to be so helpful. I can tell you put alot of thought into them. Thanks so much. I always look forward to the wisdom of your experience.

Well, you have all of us for support! :D

Thanks for that. It means alot.:)

CurlyCurves
July 26th, 2012, 10:16 AM
None to share right now, but I like reading these :love: