PDA

View Full Version : excited I think?

tweetylonghair
July 23rd, 2012, 11:56 PM
I just was able to pick up my first container of coconut oil.. I was wonderingis it oik it's first ingredient is.. petrolatumthen the 4th one is...microcrystalline wax. Besides wanting to use it..can anyone describe How they use it? or redirect me to remind me how to use it ..like should hair be wet or dry? thanks Im anxious to see how it will be to use.

Kimball
July 24th, 2012, 12:08 AM
What I use is refined coconut oil. The only ingredient is listed as "Mechanically (expeller) pressed naturally refined organic coconut oil". It was in the same aisle as the other cooking oils. I've heard of people using unrefined as well.

This post is extremely helpful;
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89834

akilina
July 24th, 2012, 12:10 AM
I am sorry I have nothing to offer about what you bought really other than I feel you would really benefit from an actual jar of just plain ole coconut oil with no other ingredients whatsoever.

I find a little bit goes a long long way for me with oil. Looks like we have about the same hair type. You could use it as an oil treatment and douse your scalp and hair in it and leave it be for however long you want. Even over night. If you do a scalp massage dont rub too hard ;D
If you wanted to use it after a wash as a leave in while your hair is still wet just scrape a tiny tiny bit out on your finger nail and rub it in your hands to melt it and apply throughout and comb thru. Try with just a small amount. You can always add more but it is pretty irritating to me when I put too much oil in my hair.

salamander
July 24th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Might be a bit sticky with petrolatum and wax in it, they won't absorb into your hair like the oil will, but if you use a small amount they could be more of a protective coating deal. Experiment a bit, I guess?

My favorite thing to do with coconut oil is, I braid my hair every night before I go to bed, and wet the very ends of the braids then rub a little oil into them. Does wonders for dry ends!

pink.sara
July 24th, 2012, 03:32 AM
That sounds like you bought some kind of Coconut scented oil rather than actual coconut :(

My coconut oil comes from the supermarket and is 100% Virgin cold pressed coconut oil.

I use after washing and smooth about a teaspoon between my palms to melt before smoothing on like a serum through the lengths and ends.

Amber_Maiden
July 24th, 2012, 04:33 AM
That's not pure coconut... I'd go through the pure stuff if I were you- food grade.

Vampyria
July 24th, 2012, 05:08 AM
I agree. The best coconut oil for hair is unrefined cold pressed virgin coconut oil.

I use it before washing on dry hair and leave it overnight. Before I put it on my hair, I warm one or two teaspoons in small cup, which I put in hot water. I also use it as leave-in on damp hair, but very little amount.

CurlyCap
July 24th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I just was able to pick up my first container of coconut oil.. I was wonderingis it oik it's first ingredient is.. petrolatumthen the 4th one is...microcrystalline wax. Besides wanting to use it..can anyone describe How they use it? or redirect me to remind me how to use it ..like should hair be wet or dry? thanks Im anxious to see how it will be to use.

Oh no! It sounds like you've got a petroleum based product that is only scented like coconut oil. While some people like them, I think the general consensus is that these products are not as good as pure coconut oil. Petroleum products sit on top of the hair while coconut oil sinks into the actual hair.

Did you save the receipt? Can you return it?

As the others said, you can probably pick up coconut oil (100%, food grade) in the grocery store, around the olive oil and other cooking oils. A single jar make be $6+ dollars, but it'll last for a loooooooong time.

As for you, it takes experimentation. Some people like a small dab applied to damp hair while some people like it applied to dry hair. Our member Heidi made this great information youtube video for straighter hair types. Maybe it's a place to start?

Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk