PDA

View Full Version : Strangers 'Petting me'

blondecat
August 5th, 2008, 07:17 AM
OK, Usually I have my hair up, but, on Monday afternoon I had it down [as I had a long drive ahead, and buns clash with the headrest] [winter here, not hot]

On four differet occations I had old men[70-80's plus] 'Pet' my hair, Oddly though It didn't feel at all creepy at any time.

All looked far away in deep thought, and one had tears in his eyes.

I guess my hair reminded them of someone special, or at least that is what I would like to think.

and Yes, I'm putting my hair way UP next time. Not taking more chances.

mugglemomof3
August 5th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I sometimes wish my hair was long enough and/or pretty enough for someone to consider "petting" me! Then again, I've never been petted (other than children) and so I don't know how I'd react.

I'm glad your trip didn't cause too much un-comfyness. It sounds like you can see the best in people. I'm sure none of them meant any harm. I'd be so curious to know what each of them were thinking.

blondecat
August 5th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I was curious whilst driving and did wish I had the time to converse :)

Curlsgirl
August 5th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I went to the birthday of a 100 year old man last Fall and he called me over and said my French braid was beautiful and it reminded him of the only woman he had ever loved long long before when he was just out of high school. That was so touching. I have a lot of older people comment on my hair too, many more older than young.

willowcandra
August 5th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Hmm I read some place about An old guy who was in love with long hair because it reminded him of his mum. Something to do with watching women have their hair cut off in nazi concerntration camps. I think it may have been george michael of gm salon fame.

But old peoples mums probably generally had longer hair (given that old people were sort of born pre 1920)
Probably brings back memories like smells do.

Lots of older people have gazed at my hair in a day dreamy sort of way before. they often have funny old care tips too.

Katze
August 5th, 2008, 08:59 AM
that is actually quite sweet, at least the way I read it. :)

the closest thing I ever had to this was after doing a butterfly in henna on the hand of a very young (maybe 5 year old?) Palestinian girl. She was leaning on my leg at the time, and reached up very carefully with her non-henna'd hand, took a lock of my hair, pulled it to her lips, and KISSED it. I almost started crying, it was so touching.

LuXious
August 5th, 2008, 09:12 AM
that is actually quite sweet, at least the way I read it. :)

the closest thing I ever had to this was after doing a butterfly in henna on the hand of a very young (maybe 5 year old?) Palestinian girl. She was leaning on my leg at the time, and reached up very carefully with her non-henna'd hand, took a lock of my hair, pulled it to her lips, and KISSED it. I almost started crying, it was so touching. Oo. I'm going to start crying, too.

Delenn
August 5th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I notice that when I wear my hair down a lot of aged people approach me. Grocery stores, on the street, even in the nursing home despite there being nurses nearby. And they're always watching my hair when they talk to me, it makes me smile that they find some sort of comfort there. I love old people, I've more than a few times thought about a radical career change and do something with the elderly. I have such a different outlook in that arena ever since my father was in a nursing home and then hospice care last summer, there were a few nurses who really went above and beyond the call of duty and my gosh did it ever make a difference to my Dad. Woah, sorry for the threadjack.

And Katze, that story is awesome!!!

yldchyld
August 5th, 2008, 09:55 AM
OK, Usually I have my hair up, but, on Monday afternoon I had it down [as I had a long drive ahead, and buns clash with the headrest] [winter here, not hot]

On four differet occations I had old men[70-80's plus] 'Pet' my hair, Oddly though It didn't feel at all creepy at any time.

All looked far away in deep thought, and one had tears in his eyes.

I guess my hair reminded them of someone special, or at least that is what I would like to think.

and Yes, I'm putting my hair way UP next time. Not taking more chances.

See now, I want to be reincarnated as a cat so I can have people petting me all th e time. (hey, cats have it made!)

wolf girl
August 5th, 2008, 11:08 AM
People at work do this to me when I ware my hair down. That's actually why I started wearing it up. It kinda creeps me out.

girlcat36
August 5th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Nobody touches my hair, yet I frequently have old men touching my upper arms. WHY, I ask?

Nyghtingale
August 6th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I always get petted when I go to the senior center with my mother. They start talking about how they used to have long hair in their younger days. They are always so sweet and gentle. I never mind and usually will wear it down whenever I know I need to go by there. :o

blondecat
August 6th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Nobody touches my hair, yet I frequently have old men touching my upper arms. WHY, I ask?

Ummmm OK I'll ask the same ? Why ?

Garnetgem
January 23rd, 2016, 03:29 AM
It happens from time to time and its mainly elderly people who do it and we don't like to say anything because they are old,i once had an old lady put her face to my hair it freaked me out until she said she was partially sighted she could see my hair just, she said but she needed to put it to her face to appreciate the texture and thickness so how could i say no to a very old lady who couldn't see very well i just couldn't could i,

getting petted i have learnt comes with wearing long hair down...