PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil, cold air, and tangles

lilliemer
July 23rd, 2012, 09:13 PM
So... I've really been trying to like coconut oil. However I have noticed that it seems to get sticky and crunchy at the end of my hair and exacerbate tangles.

My coconut oil (vatika brand) is solid below about 80 degrees F or so. I typically melt it in my palms before putting it in my hair, but what I'm wondering is, does it "freeze" again shortly thereafter, given that for most of the day I'm in air conditioned environments where the temperature is well below where the coconut oil is solid? Can this contribute to the sticky/crunchy/tangled feeling? Olive oil has been working much better for me in terms of smoothness/softness, so I'm wondering if I've just been walking around with solidified coconut oil on the ends of my hair and that's why I haven't liked it?

Has anyone else noticed this?

akilina
July 23rd, 2012, 09:19 PM
I have never noticed this. I use the same stuff. Maybe you are putting too much on?
Also...it is pretty darn hot where I am right now so I wouldn't have that problem anyway.
I just got this stuff about a month ago so I haven't experienced it in the colder months.

gillybeanxo3921
July 23rd, 2012, 09:20 PM
What I do, is I put my jar in a pot of hot water and let it melt a bit. Then I use the completely melted oil and smooth it onto my hair. I haven't noticed it getting crunchy and tangly, but when I did avocado masks I noticed that. Maybe everyone's hair is just different, and you'll have to mess around with different oils until you figure out what works for you.

Goodluck!

jeanniet
July 23rd, 2012, 10:31 PM
My house is cool enough that coconut oil is almost always solid, even in summer. My hair doesn't particularly like coconut oil compared to other oils, but I don't think it has anything to do with air temperature. You're putting such a thin layer on your hair that just the heat from your head should be enough to keep it from solidifying anyway.

ApatheticFairy
July 23rd, 2012, 11:24 PM
I have your problem, but with olive oil. I dry-oil because I don't understand how to wet-oil and maybe that's my problem.

I use extra- virgin stuff from the grocery store, warm a thin layer in my hands, and smooth it through my endst, and they always end up more crunchy than they were to begin with.

akilina
July 23rd, 2012, 11:27 PM
I have your problem, but with olive oil. I dry-oil because I don't understand how to wet-oil and maybe that's my problem.

I use extra- virgin stuff from the grocery store, warm a thin layer in my hands, and smooth it through my endst, and they always end up more crunchy than they were to begin with.
Wet oiling...you just put a tiny bit of oil in your hands, rub together, and distribute thru the length, and comb thru. You'll have to experiment to see how much is too much. I use about half a dime size.

lilliemer
July 24th, 2012, 10:49 AM

Yes it's even worse when I add the coconut oil to damp hair. I was quite disappointed in the bad result because so many people here seem to get great results from oiling wet. Another mystery.

@akilina, I don't think it is the quantity, I did use a lot when I first got it but backed off and now really only just barely coat the palm of my hand in it. It does make sense that body warmth may keep the oil melted, it may just be an individual chemistry thing. Particularly since someone else has the same problem with a different oil that is liquid at room temperature. I do find that excess protein makes my hair brittle so perhaps it is due to the protein-retention effects that coconut oil supposedly has? Olive oil is working better for me regardless so I guess i will stick with it for the time being -- I hate to see that vatika bottle go to waste though. At least it was pretty cheap.

earthnut
July 24th, 2012, 12:32 PM
What other products do you use? This can happen if you apply coconut oil over conditioner, especially a silicone conditioner. Coconut oil is very penetrating, and if it's put over something that seals the hair, it can't penetrate and will sit on top, feeling gunky and stiff.

For this reason, I use coconut oil as a deep conditioner on clean hair and olive oil as a sealer over conditioner.

lilliemer
July 25th, 2012, 07:34 PM
What other products do you use? This can happen if you apply coconut oil over conditioner, especially a silicone conditioner. Coconut oil is very penetrating, and if it's put over something that seals the hair, it can't penetrate and will sit on top, feeling gunky and stiff.

For this reason, I use coconut oil as a deep conditioner on clean hair and olive oil as a sealer over conditioner.
I do use a silicone containing conditioner for a final cream-type rinse so this is very likely to explain what I'm noticing. I guess I can try coconut oil after clarifying, or just stick with what seems to be working ok for me right now (I actually wore my hair down today for the first time in a long while), which is CWC with a shea butter leave in and extra virgin olive oil on top of my regular conditioner.

But as i wrote out my routine I was thinking, wow...Four conditioners...Does it really take that much???

McFearless
July 25th, 2012, 07:37 PM
That is most likely the reason. I get tangles and lots of breakage from coconut oil in cold weather so I hold off until the summer months to use it.

lilliemer
July 27th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I experimented a bit with coconut oil after clarifying off my cone containing conditioner. The crunchiness and tangliness seemed to be improved compared with using it over top of a cone. Overall though I still prefer the way the olive oil makes my hair feel. My hair tends toward the coarse and the OO seems to make it silkier, whereas the coconut oil doesn't seem to smooth the texture as much. Who knows why. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions though!

spidermom
July 27th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I use coconut oil even in the winter, but I've never noticed hard, waxy strands of hair. I guess I'm hot-headed.

HairySherry
July 27th, 2012, 03:27 PM
My hair gets a little crunchy if I apply straight coconut oil, even when I apply it to wet hair (my hair seems to like being oiled better when wet/damp, I'm sure this is pretty common for most people, though). I've found that a mix of coconut oil/another oil (I've been using Natural 7 by Proclaim, I'm not sure if it's considered a "quality" oil or not, it was on sale at Sally's so I bought it) seems to work much better for me and my ends are much less crunchy. I did, however, notice an overall improvement when oiling after clarifying. You might want to try clarifying and then try some coconut oil again or try a mix of coconut oil with another oil. Or you might want to stick with another oil or combination of oils entirely, if you don't see much improvement. I don't think that the oil can re-solidify once it's been absorbed into your hair, but I'm certainly no expert. Depending on whether I left the A/C on in our bedroom or not, my coconut oil is either solid or liquid - I don't notice a difference between using it when it's already liquefied and when I need to rub a bit between my hands to liquefy it.

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Wow I can't say coconut oil has ever done that to me before and I use it all year round. I guess you just have to stick to the olive oil. You could also maybe try almond oil or jojoba oil. Olive oil is an awesome hair sealer though and coconut oil is an awesome hair penetrater (unless you are trying to put it over silicones or other built up product)

ClassicalBlonde
July 27th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I use coconut oil and olive oil all the time and I have never noticed this, not even in winter. To be honest though, it doesn't get all that cold here!

I mainly use cocnut oil as a heavy prewash treatment and deep/hot oil treatments as I too prefer the way olive oil makes my hair feel. The olive oil makes it feel smoother and softer than the coconut oil. I also like to mix the two instead of putting straight coconut oil on.

ApatheticFairy
July 27th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Ooh... I'm a cone-head. I guess I'll lay off the cones for a while and try oiling with olive again.

I also just bought a pack of Nightblooming's Panacea salve, so maybe the combo of coconut oil from that and no cones will help.

anodyne_ame
July 28th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Hmm this was a great post to stumble upon, I've been having the same problem - but only occasionally. I've been playing around with different products and some of my conditioners have silicone (I've figured out that my hair needs that). I mostly damp oil and always after I've towel-dried, but it never occurred to me that coconut oil would not penetrate the silicone. Duh...

This is only for coconut oil though, I have another iol which I totally LOVE and funny enough, it seems to work better if applied after a silicone-based conditioner.

lilliemer
July 28th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Hmm this was a great post to stumble upon, I've been having the same problem - but only occasionally. I've been playing around with different products and some of my conditioners have silicone (I've figured out that my hair needs that). I mostly damp oil and always after I've towel-dried, but it never occurred to me that coconut oil would not penetrate the silicone. Duh...

This is only for coconut oil though, I have another iol which I totally LOVE and funny enough, it seems to work better if applied after a silicone-based conditioner.
What oil is it? Please don't hold out on us!:)

blondie9912
July 29th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Hmm, interesting. The bulk of my coconut oil use was last winter, and I never felt it solidifying whatsoever.

Shepherdess
July 29th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I rarely use pure coconut oil, so I have never had that problem before. I usually only use an olive/jojoba oil mixture that I make, and I like the way it makes my hair feel. I also use this stuff called "Blue Magic Coconut oil Conditioner" that I bought from a Family dollar store, and I really like how it makes my hair feel (although it isn't pure coconut oil, its ingredients are Petrolatum, coconut oil and fragrance) so I hope it's okay for my hair. I have had it for a while with no problems.

CorinaS
July 30th, 2012, 06:28 AM
I've had the same issues as you, but unfortunately olive oil doesn't work for me either. I use argan oil. Even if it's expensive, a small bottle lasts me a couple of months, so it's worth it