PDA

View Full Version : Starting CG method, a question :)

daredevil14
July 23rd, 2012, 07:44 PM
I am a guy with shoulder-length hair, I've just started the Curly-Girl/Guy method tonight and I think it will lead to some good results!

I've used a clarifying shampoo with sulfate to remove any left silicone, the conditioner/masque I bought is silicone-free, I checked the ingredients! So I CO-washed (after the final shampoo-wash) and then I applied the same conditioner and left part of it as a leave-in... Combing was pretty easy since it's soaking wet and NOT dry (thanks to the leave-in conditioner), I let it air-dries!

However, I just discovered that the conditioner I used DO actually contain the infamous "sodium lauryl sulfate" (SLS) (but again, no silicone!), is this a bad sign or it is simply a lighter version since it's a conditioner and not a shampoo, what should I do?

Tips are highly appreciated :)

MeganE
July 23rd, 2012, 07:56 PM
Your conditioner has SLS? What conditioner is it?

daredevil14
July 23rd, 2012, 07:59 PM
Garnier Ultra Doux (Masque for intense brilliance)

honeybunny_1996
July 23rd, 2012, 08:06 PM
I would suggest using a different conditioner next time without the sulfates. Generally conditioners shouldn't contain harsh sulfates since they can dry it out instead of condition as it's supposed to. Many use V05 and Suave which don't contain any silicones and work very well when CO washing.

daredevil14
July 24th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the replies :)

Any more feedback?

DarkCurls
July 24th, 2012, 05:08 AM
The main point of CG is to drop sulfates for more moisturised hair. If you really want to try it, then I suggest finding another conditioner.
Where on the list is the SLS? Further down, or is it one of the first ingredients? It's weird, I've never seen a conditioner with harsh sulfates like that.

daredevil14
July 24th, 2012, 05:24 AM
It is in the middle!

Perhaps it's a mask and not a conditioner? Also, since I've read that conditioners DO contain some kind of sulfate (for cleansing ability), perhaps this SLS isn't as harsh as the one found in the shampoo?

My hair wasn't dry at all after shower and I could easily wet-comb!

Allychan
July 24th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Can you try adding your own favourite oil/s to the conditioner? (olive,coconut,avocado) to counteract the harsh SLS's.
Strange that it is in conditioner though, it is usually used to create a lather. hmm strange??

Louise148
July 24th, 2012, 05:59 AM
I used to use Lush's American Cream conditioner as it smells amazing...but...I checked the label one day (should have looked earlier) and it has SLS in. Have to say I was very surprised as it is conditioner. :(

Anyway I stopped using it but missed the smell so now I use what I have left as a body wash. It doesn't lather but it does smell great. :D

DarkCurls
July 24th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Also, since I've read that conditioners DO contain some kind of sulfate (for cleansing ability), perhaps this SLS isn't as harsh as the one found in the shampoo?

Some conditioners have gentle cleansing agents, but SLS is not a gentle cleansing agent. If there's SLS in your conditioner, then it's SLS, the same kind as in shampoo, otherwise it would go by another name. There's less of it, but it's still SLS.

lapushka
July 24th, 2012, 08:40 AM
There's another Ultra Doux product that contains sl(e)s in the conditioner, it's this one:
http://www.beaute-addict.com/produit-beaute/apres-shampooing/ultra-doux-apres-shampooing-a-la-nacre-naturelle-et-extrait-de-ceris-3375.php

Avoid it.

earthnut
July 24th, 2012, 10:08 AM
If the conditioner is moisturizing enough for you, don't worry about the SLS. SLS isn't as much of a problem as silicones in conditioner. It won't leave buildup. The only thing to be concerned about is whether the conditioner is moisturizing enough.

DarkCurls
July 24th, 2012, 10:57 AM
SLS isn't as much of a problem as silicones in conditioner.
It depends on the person. SLS is more of a problem for me than cones. I only dropped cones because I stopped using sulfates and they're harder to wash out without sulfates. But SLS was drying out my hair, whereas I really have nothing against cones.

earthnut
July 24th, 2012, 12:28 PM
The drying qualities of sulfates are certainly a problem in shampoos, because shampoos don't replace the moisture. There less of a problem in conditioners, because conditioners have a lot of moisturizers in them. The sulfate reduces the moisturizing capability of the conditioner, but doesn't have the same drying effect as if it was in a shampoo.

DarkCurls
July 24th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Makes sense to me. Thanks for clearing that up for me. ;)

jackie_brown
July 24th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Sodium lauryl sulfate in small quantities is used as preservative, so if it was in one of the last position in the ingredient list i'd not worry :)

daredevil14
July 25th, 2012, 09:04 AM
There's another Ultra Doux product that contains sl(e)s in the conditioner, it's this one:
http://www.beaute-addict.com/produit-beaute/apres-shampooing/ultra-doux-apres-shampooing-a-la-nacre-naturelle-et-extrait-de-ceris-3375.php

Avoid it.

Yup, that is the one I use, but it's called a "masque" in here and the bottle is different! (a small-wide one rather than a tall-slim one; sorry, don't know the English term!)

The drying qualities of sulfates are certainly a problem in shampoos, because shampoos don't replace the moisture. There less of a problem in conditioners, because conditioners have a lot of moisturizers in them. The sulfate reduces the moisturizing capability of the conditioner, but doesn't have the same drying effect as if it was in a shampoo.

Exactly, my hair was moisturized enough and also soaking wet which made combing pretty easy!

Sodium lauryl sulfate in small quantities is used as preservative, so if it was in one of the last position in the ingredient list i'd not worry

I am afraid it is in the middle, however I am not that worried because I think that silicone is my problem, rather than SLS.

I am moving on with the CG method, let's hope it works ;)