PDA

View Full Version : Color Oops procedure questions

Cafe au Lait
July 23rd, 2012, 06:31 PM
Okay, I took the plunge and bought Color Oops. I'm so nervous I'm going to screw this up, so cue my one million questions.

I have pretty thick hair (5.5" pony), but it's only past shoulder. Should 1 box do me? I got Clairol Natural Instincts to go over it, a shade lighter than my roots. Does it darken up a LOT? It's a Demi, that's what's recommended, right?

Should I SMT in between the Color Oops and coloring, or after I color?

Any other advice? I'm doing this on Wednesday, giving myself time for a patch test. OMG I'm so nervous. I'll probably update this thread with my results.

Edit : With the Clairol my roots are a 28, I bought 24.

TheMechaGinger
July 23rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
I did my almost bsl hair with one box so I think you should be fine there, as for the rest though I've never used chemical dyes so I'm sorry I'm no help there but best of luck to you!

akilina
July 23rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
One box will do ya :) I recommend to do the color oops at night...then do your SMT.
SMT for conditioning but more importantly to make it smell good again.
The next morning color it. (unless you can't and have something else to do...) If not you could still do them right after another. I wouldn't though.

I have found that if you color after color oops it does darken up a bit which really sucks.
I color oopsed and then hennaed right afterwards and it darkened up way too much :/ even with using henna...which is just a plant.

Anyway...that is good you got a lighter color.
I love color oops and have used it many times. I wish I had it when I used the horrible "color fix" stuff or "color zap".
Color fix was damaging and always got dark again (even when I did everything correctly and neutralized) Color zap literally took the color out of my virgin roots 0__o

Other than that...uhh this is common sense and I am sorry, but wearing a towel over your shoulders is really good to do. And don't wear nice clothes or use a nice towel.
I always enjoyed watching the process happen. It was kind of fun to check it every 10 minutes or so and see the changes. I forget how long it tells you to leave it on for but I have left it on for an hour before. Some have left it on for several hours. If your color is not light enough once you are done, perhaps considering buying another box and doing the application again. :)
Good luck!! :D

Cafe au Lait
July 23rd, 2012, 07:59 PM
I did my almost bsl hair with one box so I think you should be fine there, as for the rest though I've never used chemical dyes so I'm sorry I'm no help there but best of luck to you!

It's good to know I won't get halfway through and find I need more! Thank you!

One box will do ya :) I recommend to do the color oops at night...then do your SMT.
SMT for conditioning but more importantly to make it smell good again.
The next morning color it. (unless you can't and have something else to do...) If not you could still do them right after another. I wouldn't though.

I have found that if you color after color oops it does darken up a bit which really sucks.
I color oopsed and then hennaed right afterwards and it darkened up way too much :/ even with using henna...which is just a plant.

Anyway...that is good you got a lighter color.
I love color oops and have used it many times. I wish I had it when I used the horrible "color fix" stuff or "color zap".
Color fix was damaging and always got dark again (even when I did everything correctly and neutralized) Color zap literally took the color out of my virgin roots 0__o

Other than that...uhh this is common sense and I am sorry, but wearing a towel over your shoulders is really good to do. And don't wear nice clothes or use a nice towel.
I always enjoyed watching the process happen. It was kind of fun to check it every 10 minutes or so and see the changes. I forget how long it tells you to leave it on for but I have left it on for an hour before. Some have left it on for several hours. If your color is not light enough once you are done, perhaps considering buying another box and doing the application again. :)
Good luck!! :D

Lots of good information! Thank you! And no piece of info is too obvious for me.. thanks for pointing that out.

It's been mentioned me me I may have picked out to dark of dye.. Hopefully I'll be okay.

The directions mentioned to condition with a protein conditioner to lower porosity, which will help with the color not darkening as much. So should I just sit with some protein-rich conditioner instead of an SMT?

akilina
July 23rd, 2012, 08:27 PM
It's good to know I won't get halfway through and find I need more! Thank you!

Lots of good information! Thank you! And no piece of info is too obvious for me.. thanks for pointing that out.

It's been mentioned me me I may have picked out to dark of dye.. Hopefully I'll be okay.

The directions mentioned to condition with a protein conditioner to lower porosity, which will help with the color not darkening as much. So should I just sit with some protein-rich conditioner instead of an SMT?
Color oops definitely lightened my clothes too where it got on them :/ Not sure exactly if that dye is too dark. Does the box have any other numbers? like 6N or anything like that? I don't know box color only professional color so I can't really help there :(
I am sure you could just use a protein condish. I like to do my deep treatments with conditioner, real aloe, and some oil. Its like a modified SMT. I never use honey. Maybe that would work for you too :]

Stellaaa
July 24th, 2012, 09:07 PM
In the past week I've Oopsed twice, but it took me about three weeks with the stuff sitting in the bathroom for me to get the courage up to do it. So I know how you feel.

I waited a couple of days so my scalp would recover from all the rinsing before I dyed it with, yes, Natural Instincts, dark neutral blonde, I have light/meduim golden brown and grey hair, so the dark blonde is a couple shades lighter than I normally use. Its just drying now and think it is the right colour, although I think a light brown (one shade lighter than normal like you got) would have done a good job also.

I was trying to remove a couple-of-years old too-dark dye job that occupies the last foot and half or so of my hair. Got tired of dying the top of my head darker than I wanted just so it would match the bottom. The Oops didn't lighten my hair as much as I had hoped it would, but it didn't harm it either. Well, except for the smell but even that fades.

I conditioned after Oopsing with a VO5 hot protein pac and some protein-rich conditioner. I'll return to more normal (oil-based) moisturising methods now that the ding is done.

Stellaaa
July 24th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean "ding is done". I meant "thing is done" but I can't edit my posts yet, sorry.

Cafe au Lait
July 24th, 2012, 09:17 PM
In the past week I've Oopsed twice, but it took me about three weeks with the stuff sitting in the bathroom for me to get the courage up to do it. So I know how you feel.

I waited a couple of days so my scalp would recover from all the rinsing before I dyed it with, yes, Natural Instincts, dark neutral blonde, I have light/meduim golden brown and grey hair, so the dark blonde is a couple shades lighter than I normally use. Its just drying now and think it is the right colour, although I think a light brown (one shade lighter than normal like you got) would have done a good job also.

I was trying to remove a couple-of-years old too-dark dye job that occupies the last foot and half or so of my hair. Got tired of dying the top of my head darker than I wanted just so it would match the bottom. The Oops didn't lighten my hair as much as I had hoped it would, but it didn't harm it either. Well, except for the smell but even that fades.

I conditioned after Oopsing with a VO5 hot protein pac and some protein-rich conditioner. I'll return to more normal (oil-based) moisturising methods now that the ding is done.

Thanks for all the help! It's good to hear from someone who used the same dye, too.

I am staring at the box trying to get enough bravery to do this. I don't know why it's so scary for me.

I think I got too dark of dye. But it's too late now. Dark won't look terrible on me. Just this awful red ick my red turned into.

..I can do this..

Cafe au Lait
July 24th, 2012, 10:54 PM
I'm sitting here with Color Oops in my hair. So nervous!!

Stellaaa
July 25th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Good for you. And good luck too. Are you going to dye it today?

Cafe au Lait
July 25th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Well, the Color Oops definitely took out all my red! I'm left with brassy brown much lighter than my normal color. I plan on dyeing over it today!

Thanks everyone for all their help through this!