PDA

View Full Version : 1 Week of Curly girl method. pics

misspurdy06
July 23rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
eI have 2a/2b hair. I have fried my hair a lot in the past year and I'm trying to get my natural texture back.

Before:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/before.jpg

After 1 week:

I touched it a lot while it was drying but still progress.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/myhair1wCG.jpg

lapushka
July 23rd, 2012, 04:01 PM
Pretty nice progress! :thumbsup:

kitschy
July 23rd, 2012, 04:01 PM
Good job - looks nice!

Hollyfire3
July 23rd, 2012, 04:04 PM
Are you COing and using gel? what IS the standard curly girl method? I read the book, but it varied so much, I wasn't sure which technique to use and is cleanser means sulfate free shampoo or CO?

ratgirldjh
July 23rd, 2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks for posting this! Your hair looks GREAT! :)

I am trying to leave my hair alone after starting CO washing and not combing or brushing and all of a sudden I had wurlies!

brave
July 23rd, 2012, 04:17 PM
Are you COing and using gel? what IS the standard curly girl method? I read the book, but it varied so much, I wasn't sure which technique to use and is cleanser means sulfate free shampoo or CO?

This link explains it pretty well (http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/) but in a nutshell CG method is this:

- Cleanse your hair, usually with a light cone-free conditioner, wavys/oily scalped people can opt to use sulfate-free shampoo. Lots of scalp massage/scrubbing.
- Condition your hair with a heavier cone-free, preferably botanical, conditioner. Leave some in -- the amount depends on curl type according to her and personal preference.
- Take cone-free, alcohol-free gel and scrunch it into your hair. Let dry completely without touching it, then scrunch again to release the gel cast.

I think it's somewhat rare that the CG method works perfectly as-is for someone, but bits and pieces have been added onto and changed and tweaked a lot. Now there's stuff like plopping and all these extra leave-ins and a billion different things you can do. But the root of CG is pretty much that.

misspurdy, your hair looks absolutely amazing after just one week. The waves are gorgeous!

misspurdy06
July 23rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
I wash my hair water only but I have been putting conditioner on my ends and have been refraining from brushing. No gel for me.

It's not easy, the not brushing. I will get used to I suppose. Though now that I use conditioner my hair doesn't tangle as easy.

misspurdy06
July 23rd, 2012, 04:19 PM
duplicate.

Hollyfire3
July 23rd, 2012, 04:38 PM
This link explains it pretty well (http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/) but in a nutshell CG method is this:

- Cleanse your hair, usually with a light cone-free conditioner, wavys/oily scalped people can opt to use sulfate-free shampoo. Lots of scalp massage/scrubbing.
- Condition your hair with a heavier cone-free, preferably botanical, conditioner. Leave some in -- the amount depends on curl type according to her and personal preference.
- Take cone-free, alcohol-free gel and scrunch it into your hair. Let dry completely without touching it, then scrunch again to release the gel cast.

I think it's somewhat rare that the CG method works perfectly as-is for someone, but bits and pieces have been added onto and changed and tweaked a lot. Now there's stuff like plopping and all these extra leave-ins and a billion different things you can do. But the root of CG is pretty much that.

misspurdy, your hair looks absolutely amazing after just one week. The waves are gorgeous!

Thanks! I have no cone free conditioner so this is kinda out for me...maybe nearly cone free? Like the 11th line down has one lousy cone?

Hollyfire3
July 23rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
I wash my hair water only but I have been putting conditioner on my ends and have been refraining from brushing. No gel for me.

It's not easy, the not brushing. I will get used to I suppose. Though now that I use conditioner my hair doesn't tangle as easy.

Your hair is beautiful, it is such a seriously lovely change from the before picture (which is nice too, but less defined). keep up the good work! I wasn't trying to hijack by asking about curly girl, I just wanted to know how to get glorious hair like you have!

brave
July 23rd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Theories differ about cones and CG. Purists say no cones ever. But some cones won't build up, others are water soluble, and a lot can be removed with a milder cleanser than sulfates (shampoos containing coco betaine for example). Kind of up to the individual.

Hollyfire3
July 23rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
Theories differ about cones and CG. Purists say no cones ever. But some cones won't build up, others are water soluble, and a lot can be removed with a milder cleanser than sulfates (shampoos containing coco betaine for example). Kind of up to the individual.

Thanks for the info, I may try curly girl, I may not, I like the products I use, but most have one or two cones near the bottom and I'm not sure how it'd go.

DarkCurls
July 23rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
I like the change! It's so... drastic. Nice waves. :D

I'm not really CG, but not brushing does miracles for sure. ^^

Sisgoldenhair65
July 23rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
Wow, amazing results! Looks great!

spirals
July 23rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
What a huge difference. The before pic looked like damage, but the after shows it was just dry hair. It's true that plopping isn't the origional method, but I've been doing it the last week or so with a microfiber T-shirt and I get bouncier hair that dries faster. Try it; it will help keep you from touching your hair as much.

CurlyCurves
July 23rd, 2012, 06:26 PM
WOW! Big difference. It looks beautiful. I love long wavy or curly hair :love:

tinti
July 23rd, 2012, 06:35 PM
Oh my gosh, what a difference! Your hair is gorgeus :)

honeybunny_1996
July 23rd, 2012, 07:55 PM
Wow your results look fantastic! :)

amanda_the_tall
July 23rd, 2012, 08:07 PM
wow! it really does look drastically different! it makes me happy because i have a similar texture, and i want to get my hair to be more wavy. just not sure if it's going to work since mine is far more thin and fine than yours, but really, your hair is gorgeous. :) great job!