PDA

View Full Version : I put lotion in my hair

spirals
July 23rd, 2012, 01:46 PM
and got these: http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg7/scaled.php?server=7&filename=0723135159.jpg&res=crop I was going to oil but decided to try St. Ives coconut and orchid body lotion ( http://www.drugstore.com/st-ives-body-lotion-naturally-indulgent-coconut-milk-and-orchid-extract/qxp391634. ). It smells good and I woke up to perfect 3a spirals on the ends. I slept with my hair loose, by the way.

helloimgia
July 23rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
When I'm out and my hair looks miserable and dead, I would put some lotion on my strands because I wouldn't have any anything else for it. Sometimes, my hair would bounce right up or just get matte and ugly :p

Sometimes my hair would get drier too, maybe its the specific lotion..but does it make your hair softer or healthier at all?

aisha.christine
July 23rd, 2012, 01:57 PM
Those are so pretty! :)
What was the texture like? I feel like lotion would make it kind of stiff...

spirals
July 23rd, 2012, 02:19 PM
It feels a bit more coarse to my fingers, but soft on my back/shoulders. I already had Shea Moisture milk in it from the other day. I'm sure the lotion reactivated the sugar in the SM, which would explain the more structured texture. It looks great; that's all that matters to me.

earthnut
July 23rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
I've been thinking of putting sunscreen in my hair. It would add both extra moisturizers and UV protection. :D

goldloli
July 23rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
I've heard of people using hand cream as a leave in to soften ends of hair

SarahKayfa
July 23rd, 2012, 07:01 PM
I use hand cream if I'm out and my hair looks dry. Works for me. Your hair looks lovely OP!

MeowScat
July 23rd, 2012, 08:24 PM
I've been wondering about certain lotions ever since I read about oiling here a year ago. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. Verrrry interesting!

Did you apply any on, or near your scalp? Or just the length?

(I wonder if it would look good on my stick-straight, fine hair or if it would make mine crunchy or greasy looking.)

Miss Catrina
July 23rd, 2012, 08:27 PM
When my hair was longer I used to keep a trial size of Aveeno in my purse to smooth out frizzies.

spirals
July 23rd, 2012, 08:34 PM
I use hand cream if I'm out and my hair looks dry. Works for me. Your hair looks lovely OP!

Thank you! Yours looks so healthy and I love the color.

MeowScat, I ran it over the surface from ear-level down, and put a bit extra on the ends, as they've been dry lately. If I were going anywhere I would've misted it with curl spray, as running my hands through it pulls out my curls. But I was just at home playing around.

Lady Neeva
July 23rd, 2012, 08:41 PM
In the hot, over 100 degrees weather in August, I break out the cream.

Kyla
July 23rd, 2012, 08:48 PM
Those look beautiful.

I remember a while ago there was someone here who has soft hair success using Gold Bond. This just reminded me of it. :p

spirals
July 23rd, 2012, 08:55 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if he/she used the Gold Bond powder as a dry shampoo? "What's your favorite product line?" "Gold Bond." "Uh, what?" :confused: :lol:

Kyla
July 23rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if he/she used the Gold Bond powder as a dry shampoo? "What's your favorite product line?" "Gold Bond." "Uh, what?" :confused: :lol:

Indeed it would be! :p Although, if I had lighter hair I would probably try that myself...

jacqueline101
July 23rd, 2012, 09:14 PM
Once along time ago I had bad dandruff and I put lotion on my scalp and hair it was softer and the danderfull was gone.

MrsGuther
July 23rd, 2012, 09:17 PM
Pretty curls! :)

MeowScat
July 24th, 2012, 09:40 AM
MeowScat, I ran it over the surface from ear-level down, and put a bit extra on the ends, as they've been dry lately. If I were going anywhere I would've misted it with curl spray, as running my hands through it pulls out my curls. But I was just at home playing around.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. Your curls are gorgeous. I've had dozens of perms with the hope that I could have curls like that. I've had regular perms, spiral perms and every shape and size of curlers. I end up with inconsistent waves that don't last very long and it fries my hair.

The closest I ever got to your kind of curls was from using hot rollers and a ton of mousse and hairspray. The curls lasted an hour or so.

I gave up years ago of having any hope for curls. My hair is so straight that I've been asked how long it takes me to flat iron. Ha! I've never owned one.

Amber_Maiden
July 24th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I do that sometimes as well- smoothes frizz.

feb26
July 24th, 2012, 12:07 PM
interesting..:confused:..when I put lotion in, it makes my hair droop & go limp. so i avoid it. how much did you use & was it just on the ends?

Ginger Kitteh
July 24th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Wow, I've never thought of this! I'll have to investigate the ingredients in some of my lotions and try them...My hair is really fine though, so I don't know if it would be too heavy...guess it would depend on the lotion.

Really pretty hair. I have 3a, too, but I wish mine were as long and luscious as yours!

spirals
July 31st, 2012, 01:30 AM
Hey everyone--thanks for all the compliments. I forgot I posted this. I used maybe 2 teaspoons, just enough to smooth the top and ends and I ran it over dry hair randomly one night. I have noticed with my shea moisture leave-in I get separated, skinny curls and with the St. Ives I get fat, clumpy spirals. I think the difference is that the latter has silicone in it. I may go back to silicones. I like the "sausage curls" better. The only curling method I've seen that makes these is to use a 1-inch curling iron or medium and small hot rollers vertically. I guess you could do the same with a wet roller set, too.

Arya
July 31st, 2012, 03:19 AM
So I guess you didn't get the hose again?:D

Amygirl8
July 31st, 2012, 09:36 AM
I do use some lotions on my partline as they help control the flakes.
However that ended up with break-outs on my forehead from the greasiness (or maybe that's just me in the midst of puberty) but either way I don't want to risk it, so I only do it when it's absolutely necessary.
I've never tried it on the length, though. I'll try a WO today and then use some lotion on the length once the hair dries, and see how my hair turns out.

spirals
July 31st, 2012, 10:31 AM
So I guess you didn't get the hose again?:D

I laughed so hard I started coughing. :lol:

Arya
July 31st, 2012, 07:50 PM
I laughed so hard I started coughing. :lol:

Yay! mission accomplished! :cool: I just couldn't resist.