PDA

View Full Version : search and destroy Question

honeybunny_1996
July 23rd, 2012, 12:26 PM
When i S&D i sometimes comes across these strands that are straight with a small zig zag kink in the middle of the strand. The strands that i have heard most people snip off are actually split or look like a tree branch, but i was wondering if you guys think its a damaged strand that i should snip off as well. :rolleyes: I drew in paint an example of a strand i'm talking about so you may understand what i'm trying to describe. Thanks in advance :)

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m562/honeybunny_1996/strand-1.png

ravenreed
July 23rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
I snip everything odd, including the hairs that look thicker on the ends and the L-bend hairs. My hair is very tangle-prone and splits at the least little thing. My feeling is better to get them early because they will catch on other hairs more easily, and lead to more tangles. More tangles lead to more bent hairs, and more split ends.

Now some of my hairs look like a ribbon that has a spiral in it, where it looks flattened or kinked or something. Those are very coarse hairs and just grow that way. They also feel rougher than my other hairs. I usually feel up the strand of hair to where there isn't a rough spot and trim them. If they aren't overly rough, I leave them alone.

arcane
July 23rd, 2012, 12:38 PM
I tend to snip those. I figure they are just damage waiting to get worse as I've watched myself give myself one of those (running my finger and tumb nail down a strand caused it to kink up that way).

Demi-Plum
July 23rd, 2012, 12:39 PM
If I notice a "kink" in them I usually snip. The strand is snapped and is just holding on at that point. It will either break off or even worse, break and cause a split. Like Ravenreed said, I snip anything that looks odd. I can usually tell when i have a split though because the tip is much lighter than my normal dark mass.

johnnystiletto
July 23rd, 2012, 01:31 PM
I get those too, and they almost always result in fairy knots if I don't cut 'em off. I;m also prone to the odd flat/coarse "head pubes", and usually those have to go as well!

jeanniet
July 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM
Yes, I cut them. What I've found is that usually the kinked part (the bend) is starting to split a little or is damaged enough that it will split or break soon. Sometimes you can't see it, but it's there. I cut anything that doesn't look like normal hair. I don't get a lot of splits, but I do get hairs with weak spots that will break off, so that's generally what I'm looking for.

helloimgia
July 23rd, 2012, 02:05 PM
Try testing it out. Sometimes my strands get like that, but I think it would be because of friction or w.e. so I would wet it and see if it smooth out when it dries. If it doesn't, snip snip. I would do that alot and save myself from over doing on S&D

heidi w.
July 23rd, 2012, 03:31 PM
For me, those are typically hairs that got kinked during drying, as can sometimes occur if you put hair up, or sit on wet hair or anything similar. If it lasts a long time, and you keep seeing it a few times, then maybe cut it off during S&D...that's what I used to do if it persisted for weeks.

heidi w.

lmfbs
July 23rd, 2012, 03:39 PM
I'm with the people who say often they look like that from drying funny. I tend to get lots of them if I put my hair up damp, but they go away next time I wash.

honeybunny_1996
July 23rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
Thank you for all the replies. A part of me doesn't think it's damaged since one time I saw a huge chunk of hair with these small kinks on the right side of my head and it freaked me out, thinking it was damaged. I cut quite a lot of them out but then stopped because they were mid strand and I didn't want to lose extra length if I didn't have too. The next wash I checked and they seemed to be gone. When I run my fingers through my hair during s&d they seem to catch on to other hairs and create tangles which has me conflicted whether to cut them off or not.

MeowScat
July 23rd, 2012, 04:33 PM
For me, those are typically hairs that got kinked during drying, as can sometimes occur if you put hair up, or sit on wet hair or anything similar. If it lasts a long time, and you keep seeing it a few times, then maybe cut it off during S&D...that's what I used to do if it persisted for weeks.

heidi w.

heidi w. took the words right outta my mouth!

I've snipped those hairs off in the past thinking they were all damaged. I, finally, looked very closely at the area they bend at and it didn't look like they were starting to break off. So I put water on those hairs and let them dry without putting my hair up so they would dry naturally and they straightened out. I must have kinked them during an updo or sleeping.

Looking at them in sunlight under a magnifying glass might help you decide whether to snip those suckers off or not.