PDA

View Full Version : Oiling is thousands of years older than shampooing

meteor
July 23rd, 2012, 10:12 AM
I find it interesting that oiling hair (often very heavily) is a practice that is thousands years old, however, first real shampoos appeared only at the turn of the 20th century! Absolutely every continent used different oils for conditioning and cleaning, and yet there are all those people (and even hairdressers) who are anti-oil and say how horribly oil can "destroy" your hair. I wonder what you guys think about this. What's up with all the misinformation?

The whole shampooing practice actually comes from India via China.
This article on the history of shampoo is pretty interesting:
http://www.randomhistory.com/2008/07/19_shampoo.html

Kwantslonghair
July 23rd, 2012, 10:22 AM
All I know is that when I don't use oil On my hair, I see every strand holding an "I refuse to do anything" picket sign....my hair loves oil

spidermom
July 23rd, 2012, 10:27 AM
I can't quite wrap my mind around comparing oiling and shampooing, which is to me like comparing oranges to broccoli.

leylusha
July 23rd, 2012, 10:44 AM
I've never heard a single person say that oil can destroy hair, just that they find it gross. I think it's almost universally acknowledged as a healthy thing to do to your scalp at least, isn't it?

Oh well, hater gonna hate, oilers gonna lubricate.

meteor
July 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
I can't quite wrap my mind around comparing oiling and shampooing, which is to me like comparing oranges to broccoli.
The comparison is based purely on the social acceptance of these two practices: tell somebody that you don't use shampoo (a pretty recent invention), and most people will be shocked. So why would oiling hair (a much more ancient tradition) be such a taboo for many?

meteor
July 23rd, 2012, 10:49 AM
I've never heard a single person say that oil can destroy hair, just that they find it gross.
I heard "hairdressers" say that "you should never put oil in hair because it will destroy it, that it won't let your hair "breathe", and that it's worse than any bleach". You can find people complaining on the LHC about hairdressers saying similar things about oiling.

johnnystiletto
July 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM

leylusha, your quote just made my day!

johnnystiletto
July 23rd, 2012, 01:39 PM
I've never heard a single person say that oil can destroy hair, just that they find it gross. I think it's almost universally acknowledged as a healthy thing to do to your scalp at least, isn't it?

I heard "hairdressers" say that "you should never put oil in hair because it will destroy it, that it won't let your hair "breathe", and that it's worse than any bleach". You can find people complaining on the LHC about hairdressers saying similar things about oiling.

People here tend to think that oil = grease. You can describe coconut oil (heavenly!) or jojoba oil (which is technically a wax or wax ester I think??), and people will still picture a giant tube of axle grease or crisco.

Mind you, these are the same people who see no problem with crispy, blow-fried hair, perms, bleach and tons of sticky cheap hairspray.

helloimgia
July 23rd, 2012, 01:47 PM
A couple of years ago, I had to go to a random hairdresser because I accidentally burned off some of my hair. When my mom asked him if I should oil my ends to protect them, he lectured us about it -.- saying that it's horrible.

It was strange to us because in Vietnam, a lot of people oil their hair for up-keeping and getting that soft long hair. Thankfully we never had to see him again because my hair loves oil more than anything

meteor
July 23rd, 2012, 02:27 PM
A couple of years ago, I had to go to a random hairdresser because I accidentally burned off some of my hair. When my mom asked him if I should oil my ends to protect them, he lectured us about it -.- saying that it's horrible.
That's exactly why I'm so thankful to awesome resources like LHC for promoting good information about haircare. There is a tremendous amount of misinformation in cosmetics industry and mainstream hairdressing community.

brave
July 23rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
People here tend to think that oil = grease. You can describe coconut oil (heavenly!) or jojoba oil (which is technically a wax or wax ester I think??), and people will still picture a giant tube of axle grease or crisco.

Mind you, these are the same people who see no problem with crispy, blow-fried hair, perms, bleach and tons of sticky cheap hairspray.

There was somewhere, can't remember if it was here or elsewhere, where someone did say that crisco in the hair was good. Obviously they had very thick curly hair, but still. Not sure if I could get used to that.

Alvrodul
July 23rd, 2012, 02:42 PM
:scissors:

:rollin: WIN!!

Seriously, of course stylists are going to diss anything that doesn't come from their suppliers. Where would they be if their customers knew they could get as good or better result from what they fid in their kitchen cupboard instead of using the expensive, cone-laden stuff they are peddling? (Yes, I know that cones aren't evil, but my hair, at least, does perfectly well without them!)

kidari
July 23rd, 2012, 02:44 PM
When I used to color my hair a very beautiful strawberry blonde with blended lowlights, my colorist told me never to use anything with oils because it strips the colors out and makes it fade faster. She never said it was bad for my hair, just that it was really not going to make my artificial color last.

Othala
July 23rd, 2012, 03:02 PM
I live next door to a hairdresser and the other day when we were talking she reached over and took a handful of my hair in her hand and checked it out. Then she says, "wow, your hair is in really good condition, no split ends, really strong and great colour".

When I told her that I oil it and use henna she turned her nose up asked me why I do those things and how my hair would be much better without the oil and using "normal" dyes.

Indoctrination at hairdressing school or just aversion to anything unconventional? Who knows....?

heidi w.
July 23rd, 2012, 03:04 PM
Oiling is, indeed, a very old practice. Black people can tell you all about it, for example; Black people may well know more than I do, even. heidi w.

lmfbs
July 23rd, 2012, 04:55 PM
When I used to color my hair a very beautiful strawberry blonde with blended lowlights, my colorist told me never to use anything with oils because it strips the colors out and makes it fade faster. She never said it was bad for my hair, just that it was really not going to make my artificial color last.

I wonder how true this is? I know certainly a lot of people who use henna also use oils lots. I definitely haven't heard it before - anyone know anything more?

ratgirldjh
July 23rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
I wonder how true this is? I know certainly a lot of people who use henna also use oils lots. I definitely haven't heard it before - anyone know anything more?

Once years ago I dyed my hair red with a chemical dye. It came out WAY too bright and dark!

I immediately put a LOT of coconut oil and conditioner in it and let it sit for several hours.

When I rinsed it out and then washed my hair was MUCH lighter! The extra color came right out!

shazzshazshz
July 23rd, 2012, 05:25 PM
That's exactly why I'm so thankful to awesome resources like LHC for promoting good information about haircare. There is a tremendous amount of misinformation in cosmetics industry and mainstream hairdressing community.

The reason for the misinformation is most probably because it works in their favour. Who would buy their services and products if they had silky smooth healthy hair from just oiling it and leaving it alone? No, hairdressers need to have hair they can cut, fry, colour, perm and treat in order to keep their industry alive.

Seriously, of course stylists are going to diss anything that doesn't come from their suppliers. Where would they be if their customers knew they could get as good or better result from what they fid in their kitchen cupboard instead of using the expensive, cone-laden stuff they are peddling? (Yes, I know that cones aren't evil, but my hair, at least, does perfectly well without them!) Spot on, Alvrodul!!

akilina
July 23rd, 2012, 05:44 PM
Yar!
Stop with the hair dresser bashing pleaseeeee >_______< :'(
I am a hair dresser who LOVES oil to death. I have told so many people about oiling (and henna!) and how it truly is beneficial. They would look at me shocked, then say they would have to try it. It is funny people say "greasy"... I could see it being nasty if you put crisco or butter in your hair...yikes.
I even told a man about it who was complaining about the dryness. I told him to put a tiny drop of oil in his hair and he thought it sounded simple enough and said he would try it.

I guess I need to get over the fact and look the other way that many of you on here have had bad experiences. It is just very hard for me to ignore when people start getting in this huge frenzy about all the things we do wrong. Hairdressers are not the same.

kaydana
July 23rd, 2012, 06:09 PM
:rollin: WIN!!

Seriously, of course stylists are going to diss anything that doesn't come from their suppliers. Where would they be if their customers knew they could get as good or better result from what they fid in their kitchen cupboard instead of using the expensive, cone-laden stuff they are peddling? (Yes, I know that cones aren't evil, but my hair, at least, does perfectly well without them!)

They may be rare, but there are stylists who actually care about their clients and will recommend what they think will work best whether they benefit from it or not. The first person to ever tell me about the benefits of raiding the kitchen cupboard for hair supplies was my stylist and in all the years I went there, she never once tried pushing the products she sold (when what I was using wasn't working for me she recommended I try a brand she didn't sell, which I loved and still use to this day).

Diamond.Eyes
July 23rd, 2012, 06:13 PM
I'm training to be a hair dresser and I've never heard anyone say oil is damaging? I'm confused...

SarahKayfa
July 23rd, 2012, 07:08 PM
The last hairdresser I went to told me to pick up an argan oil blend, which I love. I imagine there are all types out there with their own opinions out there. I do what works for me. When I first realized oil was good for fine hair too, it didn't seem so strange because I remember reading about it in the bible when I was a little girl in the story of Esther and it's been around for thousands of years.

JaneinMarch
September 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Yar!
Stop with the hair dresser bashing pleaseeeee >_______< :'(
I am a hair dresser who LOVES oil to death. I have told so many people about oiling (and henna!) and how it truly is beneficial. They would look at me shocked, then say they would have to try it. It is funny people say "greasy"... I could see it being nasty if you put crisco or butter in your hair...yikes.
I even told a man about it who was complaining about the dryness. I told him to put a tiny drop of oil in his hair and he thought it sounded simple enough and said he would try it.

I guess I need to get over the fact and look the other way that many of you on here have had bad experiences. It is just very hard for me to ignore when people start getting in this huge frenzy about all the things we do wrong. Hairdressers are not the same.

Some people use crisco and butter in their hair and I'm sure they don't think it's nasty. I've used ghee myself and had lovely results. It is all based on an individual's experience. Generalizing is generalizing, plainly.

JuliaDancer
September 10th, 2012, 09:55 AM
My hairdresser sells oil blends, and he says not to blow dry every day. =)

itdontmatter48
September 10th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I have been oiling my hair for months now and have no complaints about it. I have used Mira (as mentioned) and cocnut oil. My hair drinks them both.

Theobroma
September 10th, 2012, 10:29 AM
This article on the history of shampoo is pretty interesting:
http://www.randomhistory.com/2008/07/19_shampoo.html

Quoting from the article:

Before innovations in shampooing, the hair was maintained with a combination of soap, perfumes, and essential oils, none of which provided the quality of cleanliness and luster of a modern shampoo, because it took innovations in modern science to truly understand the composition of hair soil in order to develop cleansing formulas to combat it.

Hurm. I get better lustre and, arguably, cleanliness from precisely the combination of soap and oils that they disparage (specifically, African Black Soap and EVOO mixed with lavender oil). With shampoo my hair becomes a dried-out mess that even the richest conditioners can't completely fix.

jacqueline101
September 10th, 2012, 10:49 AM
The only thing I can say about oiling is my hair does the best with a little oil. Not a lot so maybe that's why people think its destroying hair they see the ones that over do it. I can see the connection look at dove they have an oil shampoo line.

lunalocks
September 10th, 2012, 10:57 AM
A hairdresser suggested neem oil after I ventured into his shop looking for another product. My own hair guru/hairdresser, who also has long hair, told me last month my hair was in better shape that ever and even better shape than her own long hair and asked me what the secret was. When I told her mineral oil, she didn't bat an eye. She told me she had been experimenting with Jojoba.

However, another hairdresser, of the Aveda school, was shocked when I mentioned CO washing (which I do every other wash). No more sharing secrets with her!

MrsGuther
September 10th, 2012, 12:20 PM

Awesome! Just awesome! :)

hermosamendoza
September 10th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I know this is an older thread but I would like to add an update that in the last few years oils have become very popular, especially in salons. Aveda schools even sell products with oil in it. And many recognizable brands from the expensive to drug stores are noticing the demand for hair oils. See garnier fructis to biosilk and redken.

While I've never had a hairstylist suggest anything for my hair they always let me know what won't work for my hair. It's usually all the products they sell.

I remember back when I would henna my hair and my sister was going to Aveda everyone kept. Complementing my hair color but for a deer in the headlights look when I said henna. Even her teacher started to tell me the dangers of henna and my sister interrupted her politely to say I'd done my research and had use baq henna not the stuff with salts and harsh chemicals mixed in. Her teacher just shrugged and walked away with an attitude of well if she wants to ruin her hair that her decision.

My sister has seen all my natural hair and beauty treatments and doesn't blink an eye anymore even if she herself prefers the salon stuff.