PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my hair to look like this (picture included).

Hairzzzz
July 23rd, 2012, 07:39 AM
How do I get my hair to look like this after showering?

http://thedroppedbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/kurt-cobain-4-1.jpg

It takes weeks for my hair to look like this (without washing it).

Thanks.

MegaMystery
July 23rd, 2012, 07:40 AM
I suppose you could try hairwax or some similar product.

MissAlida
July 23rd, 2012, 07:47 AM
Maybe try oiling it. Just go in small steps, otherwise you could end up with greasy looking hair.

Bunnysaur
July 23rd, 2012, 07:57 AM
I'm not sure Kurt Cobain was the cleanest person around, so your best bet would be: not shower for a few days.
...which is the complete opposite of what you wanted, I know. Maybe some texturizing spray, mousse, oil, IDK, I was never very style-y with my hair.

Diamond.Eyes
July 23rd, 2012, 07:58 AM
Running a texturizing balm or spray through your hair would do the trick. Just use your fingers to peice the hair apart to give it that look. You could finish off with a touch of shine hair spray, but that isn't LHC friendly. ;)

ariesfairies
July 23rd, 2012, 08:19 AM
My hair goes like that after rubbing in a bit of coconut oil before it melts (hands and fingers are too cold to melt it no matter what lol). Wax would definitely do it better. You just need something to make it stick together, and water after a shower doesn't have that.

Hairzzzz
July 23rd, 2012, 10:14 AM
Running a texturizing balm or spray through your hair would do the trick. Just use your fingers to peice the hair apart to give it that look. You could finish off with a touch of shine hair spray, but that isn't LHC friendly. ;)

Are you able to recommend any specific products?

Also what is LHC? - I googled and it gave me "Large Hadron Collider"

ETA: Ok LHC = Long hair community. Not sure I understand why it wouldn't be friendly though.

jojo
July 23rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
Ok LHC = Long hair community. Not sure I understand why it wouldn't be friendly though.

I don't see either why it's not LHC friendly either? The forums about finding ways to grow healthy hair, it's not about banning certain products or tools. If if helps use it!

spidermom
July 23rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
Shine spray is o.k. in my book!

I think what you want is styling wax or pomade, spread between palms and fingers, stroked through and smoothed over hair. Remember - a little goes a long way.

Gel might do it, too.

johnnystiletto
July 23rd, 2012, 01:34 PM
I used to have a layered cut that needed to look "piecy" like this, and tried a million (ok, more like five or six) hair products before I found THE best thing (for me): Murray's hair pomade.

You'll find it in the ethnic/African-American hair aisle, in a bright orange can that looks like the package hasn't changed since the 70s (there are 2 people with afros on the lid!). A little goes a lonnnnnnnnnnnng way - in fact, I think in an old Dave Chappelle skit, he referred to 1 can as being "a lifetime supply".

HTH!

spirals
July 23rd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Head Games makes a putty called Messed-Up Madness. I don't see it in drugstores, but Trade Secret carries it, as far as I know, and maybe other beauty supply stores. It's been a while since I last bought it, as I haven't had bangs for a couple of years. I like it because it's not too greasy/shiny and the smell reminds me of those rubber erasers we used in school in the 70s. It's nostalgic for me. :lol:

Anje
July 23rd, 2012, 03:13 PM
A lot of it depends on what your hair looks like now... If you've got intense curls, I don't think you're going to look like Kurt Cobain without some fairly drastic steps on your part, which might not be hair-friendly.

Ever consider water-only washing? Many scalps don't really need to be shampooed and all that stuff, honestly. I scrubbed my scalp with just water for the better part of a year, and it has never been so happy as it was then. However, I didn't care for the piecey look as much and decided I needed a bit more to combat my winterly increase in oil production.

barely.there
July 23rd, 2012, 06:05 PM
I agree with Anje. Try out water only, or conditioner only washing. Then you will have more moisture and less dryness.....without the ickyness of not washing your hair at all.

holothuroidea
July 23rd, 2012, 06:16 PM
Try water only washing for a while and see where it gets you. Also you could try to use a little bit of olive oil to recreate the many-days-after-washing sebum that gets washed out after a shampoo.

Take one drop of oil and rub it in your palms, then smooth it over your hair in segments. If you don't get the look you want after that, try one more drop, then one more and so on until you have what you want. Oil washes out of the hair with a long soak in lots of conditioner.

Or you could use a professional product but I think it's good to try the free option first. :D

And... BUT Shine Spray has TEH 'CONEZZZ :blueeek:
(There is this non-controversial controversy on LHC about the "hair-friendliness" of silicone hair products. The basic gist is, if you don't wash silicone products out without strong shampoos they build up and cause problems. The not-hair-friendly non-controversy is that regularly washing your hair with strong shampoo to get rid of that stuff is bad for your hair. Which is why the LHC hair-friendliness of shine spray was called into question).

ETA: Or you could just borrow my hair for a day. My hair does that straight out of the shower. Or after 5 minutes without brushing. I don't think Kurt Cobain was shower-phobic, he probably just had a similar hair type to me. :p

Diamond.Eyes
July 23rd, 2012, 07:28 PM
I don't see either why it's not LHC friendly either? The forums about finding ways to grow healthy hair, it's not about banning certain products or tools. If if helps use it!

Erm, no need to be so confrontational? I said it wasn't LHC friendly because many members don't advocate conventional hair products and take the natural route instead. I really don't see a need for hostility.

Are you able to recommend any specific products?

Garnier Fructis makes the products I've mentioned. :)

lapushka
July 23rd, 2012, 07:30 PM
Erm, no need to be so confrontational? I said it wasn't LHC friendly because many members don't advocate conventional hair products and take the natural route instead. I really don't see a need for hostility.

I don't think jojo was hostile, or confrontational - at all. :flower:

holothuroidea
July 23rd, 2012, 07:36 PM

But you brought up the controversy that really isn't controversial even though it is but never was!!!!!!!!!!

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Diamond.Eyes
July 23rd, 2012, 07:37 PM
I don't think jojo was hostile, or confrontational - at all. :flower:

The way she worded it just didn't seem necessary to me as I only made a small remark about hair products. My bad for misunderstanding. :shrug:

But you brought up the controversy that really isn't controversial even though it is but never was!!!!!!!!!!

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Exactly.

salamander
July 23rd, 2012, 07:39 PM
The NW/SO thread is sort of a controlled version of what the grunge guys were doing, it's probably the most reliable option!

lapushka
July 23rd, 2012, 07:50 PM
I'd get it cut that way, short with lots of layering. Then: lots of pommade, wax or gel of some kind.

mzBANGBANG
July 23rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
I get my hair to look like this after a water only wash (2-3 days) and then using some kind of wax on pieces of the length of my hair (not the roots!!!) to make it look chunky. I also have shorter layers in the front of my hair so it adds a lot of texture for the rock star look.

ApatheticFairy
July 23rd, 2012, 11:39 PM
I rocked this style in middle school. I second the murray's wax, only apply from the tops of the ears down, though. Shampooing it out from your roots sucks. Hair roots + wax + shampoo can = ouch if you need to do the clean n polished look for something, like a job interview.

Murry wax plus the Got2Be shine serum was how I did it. All the pictures from those years were burned due to poor makeup choices, (tried to do circuitboards in turquoise on the corners of my eyes... neat in theory... bad in execution.) though, so I don't have my own to show.

teela1978
July 24th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Can it be that hard? Mine would look like that if I shoved my hair behind my ears to let it dry and then let it pop back out later... Don't comb it, let it dry stringy and you've got 90's grunge hair.

MinderMutsig
July 24th, 2012, 03:34 AM
So you want those clumps of hair that are sort of greasy looking?
The curly girl method promotes clumping, trying that on straight hair (minus the scrunching obviously) should help your hair form clumps. Add some wax or something similar and you're set.

If you want that hairstyle longterm I'd definitely suggest looking into SO/NW/WO washing.

FrannyG
July 24th, 2012, 04:10 AM
I have no clue what Kurt's personal hygiene was like on an everyday basis, but I guarantee that there was a stylist on set for that photo shoot.

In any case, Hairzzzz, it would be very helpful if you would fill in your hair type and length, so we could advise you better.

I'm with all of the people who suggest texturizing balm, styling wax or pomade. Since I don't know where you live, I can't advise brand names, but it's easy to ask at a drug store or a shop that sells hair supplies.

Good luck with getting your look. :cool:

MsBubbles
July 24th, 2012, 10:53 AM
You could finish off with a touch of shine hair spray, but that isn't LHC friendly. ;)

ETA: Ok LHC = Long hair community. Not sure I understand why it wouldn't be friendly though.

Well thanks to Nightshade's incredible Damage Article, whenever I think of hairspray now, I imagine those microscrope pictures of hair strands stuck together shudder:. Hairspray damage is thus etched in my mind :laugh: I think that's what Diamond Eyes meant. So in that respect, it probably wouldn't help a whole hell of a lot of us here, as we'd have to cut hairspray damage off at some point - especially members like me with really wimpy hair strands.

Firefly
July 24th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Redken Water Wax works when I want my hair to look piece-y like that.

FrozenBritannia
July 24th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Sunscreen. :)

Seriously. I put sunscreen on my hair once because it felt like my scalp was burning, and it looked exactly like Kurt Cobains. Lol! I have done it a few times since too out camping, just whiping the after application residue on the ends of my hair. Not sure how good it is in scientific terms, but it washes out pretty easy.

Audrey Horne
July 25th, 2012, 01:43 AM
I have Cobain hair most of the time (not my will) :o My advice: don't wash it with shampoos. Go WO or even NW. But if you absolutely have to wash then use a lot of mousse. It can make you look somewhat oily, yes, but it can give that look. I remember that from accidental mousse overdose from years ago.

RoseOfClare
July 25th, 2012, 10:00 AM
ive made my hair look like that just with oil..... usually use coconut or sweetd almond depending on time of year. It doesn't take much for my hair cuz I have fine hair

ravenreed
July 29th, 2012, 01:18 PM
After reading the original article that Nightshade referenced in her article, the hair spray picture was several applications of hair spray that had not been washed out, IIRC. One application would probably not come anywhere close to looking like that under a microscope. I use hair spray infrequently without any great issue. AVG causes far more damage to my hair than hair spray.

Well thanks to Nightshade's incredible Damage Article, whenever I think of hairspray now, I imagine those microscrope pictures of hair strands stuck together shudder:. Hairspray damage is thus etched in my mind :laugh: I think that's what Diamond Eyes meant. So in that respect, it probably wouldn't help a whole hell of a lot of us here, as we'd have to cut hairspray damage off at some point - especially members like me with really wimpy hair strands.