PDA

View Full Version : I like to use Vatika enriched coconut oil as a pre-poo treatment .

Sarahlabyrinth
July 23rd, 2012, 03:13 AM
I was wondering though, those of you who use it, do you put it on hair AND scalp, or just on hair? And do you wrap in a hot towel or just leave at room temperature?:confused:

lmfbs
July 23rd, 2012, 04:08 AM
I put it on my length, but sometimes on my scalp too if I can be bothered massaging my scalp. My scalp loves coconut oil.

meteor
July 23rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
I use more on my scalp than length. It actually says on the bottle to use it on scalp primarily. Things like neem, lemon, etc in Vatika oil are amazing for scalp. I tried it with a wrap and a hot towel, but it bothers me to wear that, so I just put it in my hair for a day and that's all. I actually get more hair compliments on the day when it's pretty well oiled :rolleyes:

afu
July 23rd, 2012, 10:22 AM
I usually apply to to hair and scalp and just leave it braided for a while before washing, or if I'm washing in the morning I will leave it overnight

akilina
July 23rd, 2012, 12:18 PM
I use it :] I like to put it on my scalp and length. I leave it over night too.

earthnut
July 24th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I use plain coconut oil and I love it. I saturate all my hair with it (i don't really try to put it on my scalp though, my scalp has enough natural oil). I usually use about 2-4 Tbsp. For a pre poo I immediately shampoo; if a deep treatment, I let it sit at room temp for as long as I can stand, usually about half an hour. Once I put it up un a wet bun and ran errands. I don't use heat because I'm too lazy and get great results without it. Then I shampoo with very little shampoo (only a few drops really) to remove the excess oil, rinse, and maybe condition as usual.

Hailwidis
October 10th, 2016, 03:33 PM
I had a bottle of this lying around that needed using up so I used it as a pre-poo the other day. Scalp massage, saturated my hair to ear-length and oiled the lengths with what was left on my hands. Left it on overnight.

I'm not sure what went wrong, but I shed 3 to 4 times more the usual in the shower. I also had to shampoo twice to feel like my hair was clean.

It wasn't a great experience.

My length was maybe a touch wavier afterwards, but also pretty bushy. The hair down to my ears on the other hand, seemed to like it: it was lovely and soft and shinier than usual.

I still have more than half the bottle to use up. Next time, I'm thinking of leaving it on for a shorter time (1 hour?). I'd like to try and shampoo only once and see how oily my hair still is after that.

Anyone still using this? How do you use it?

lapushka
October 10th, 2016, 03:52 PM
I had a bottle of this lying around that needed using up so I used it as a pre-poo the other day. Scalp massage, saturated my hair to ear-length and oiled the lengths with what was left on my hands. Left it on overnight.

I'm not sure what went wrong, but I shed 3 to 4 times more the usual in the shower. I also had to shampoo twice to feel like my hair was clean.

It wasn't a great experience.

My length was maybe a touch wavier afterwards, but also pretty bushy. The hair down to my ears on the other hand, seemed to like it: it was lovely and soft and shinier than usual.

I still have more than half the bottle to use up. Next time, I'm thinking of leaving it on for a shorter time (1 hour?). I'd like to try and shampoo only once and see how oily my hair still is after that.

Anyone still using this? How do you use it?

Next time, I beg you, leave it off of your scalp. Shedding more than normal is an indication that you aren't tolerating it well on your scalp. A number of people realized too late and experienced thinning of the hair. So... use it lengths only!

CindyOfTheOaks
October 10th, 2016, 04:51 PM
I have never used coconut oil on my hair...is this caution for all coconut oil or just for this brand ?

littlestarface
October 10th, 2016, 05:18 PM
I use this on my scalp only, as these ingredients are supposed to be a benefit and nourish the scalp, I do the rest of my length with plain coconut oil. Been using it for over 10 years now.

BookishRay
October 10th, 2016, 06:15 PM
I only have regular coconut oil, but since I tend to have a dry scalp, I use it on both. I love my hair after I use it as a deep conditioner and my scalp loves me. I actually experience less hair loss when I use it. Just goes to show how different we all are.

Anya15
October 11th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Been using this on my scalp since I was a kid! My lengths get pure coconut oil, sometimes Amla oil.

jaquelines
October 11th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Me too. Scalp and Hair. Love the smell.

mizukitty
October 11th, 2016, 07:43 PM
I mostly use it on my scalp since it's a small bottle. It's also coconut oil and my length and ends tend to be really dry so I prefer using olive on those. I also have mostly high porosity hair, so I find it "sinks in" without me having to add heat or anything, even though I sometimes do as it can be relaxing. Definitely leave it on for at least an hour, though.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 12th, 2016, 12:19 AM
I have never used coconut oil on my hair...is this caution for all coconut oil or just for this brand ?

Hi Cindy.
It depends on your hair. Some hair may not like coconut oil while another my love it and still another prefers it diluted with another oil.

Apolli
October 12th, 2016, 04:43 AM
I used to use it as prepoo treatment but stopped because it had liquid paraffin as a carrier and gives me very quick buildup as I avoid sulphates. I also shed a lot if I used oils on my scalp. I do use it in as part of LOC though :p

ChloeDharma
October 12th, 2016, 04:50 AM
I love the smell of this oil and even use it as a body oil after a shower sometimes.
As for hair and scalp I find it better on my scalp than my length. My hair likes coconut oil but this one not so much. That's just me though, I know some other people find it great on their length.
Ending on a more positive note, one time when I had a nasty scalp flare up with spots so large and painful they felt like boils with intense sore itching, I applied the vatika oil and it instantly soothed my scalp and after a few days of oiling with it the swelling was gone, as was the sore itching so I do rate this oil highly.

ChloeDharma
October 12th, 2016, 04:52 AM
Most vatika oils do have mineral oil in but the one in the blue roundish bottles doesn't have it in

littlestarface
October 12th, 2016, 11:40 AM
I used to use it as prepoo treatment but stopped because it had liquid paraffin as a carrier and gives me very quick buildup as I avoid sulphates. I also shed a lot if I used oils on my scalp. I do use it in as part of LOC though :p

This one doesn't have paraffin in it, only coconut oil and very nice additives.

Apolli
October 18th, 2016, 01:06 AM
Most vatika oils do have mineral oil in but the one in the blue roundish bottles doesn't have it in

Ah! I didnt know that ones without mineral oils exist. I've never seen blue roundish bottles so I'm afraid they either are available in my country or fairly rare/uncommon in lebanon :(

Apolli
October 18th, 2016, 01:09 AM
Double post because my phone won't let me post multiple qoutes >u>

This one doesn't have paraffin in it, only coconut oil and very nice additives.

I didn't know there are multiple lines aside from the mineral oil containing ones- I'll keep an eye out for the shapes described by Chloedharma (blue roundish) but given that i haven't seen them here i don't have my hopes up ;-;

Pacific
October 18th, 2016, 02:22 AM
I also have the version without mineral oil and love it for heavy oiling before washing. I only use it on my lenghts.

CindyOfTheOaks
October 18th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Hi Cindy.
It depends on your hair. Some hair may not like coconut oil while another my love it and still another prefers it diluted with another oil.

Thank you kindly !

Platzhalter
October 21st, 2016, 03:49 AM
I was wondering though, those of you who use it, do you put it on hair AND scalp, or just on hair? And do you wrap in a hot towel or just leave at room temperature?:confused:

I usually put it on both my scalp and hair when using it (only in summer and maybe warm autumn and spring days) :)
Never even thought about wrapping my hair in a hot towel... it's liquid at room temperature and that's more than warm enough IMO.