PDA

View Full Version : Can Indigo or black henna get rid of red/copper tones in dark brown hair?

Luna12345
July 22nd, 2012, 09:34 PM
Hi,
I'm wondering if black henna or indigo can get rid of some red/copper undertones in my dark brown hair without turning my hair black. Would it be possible to achieve if I apply it and leave it on for a short period of time?

Kaelee
July 22nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Indigo is not black henna. Avoid "black henna" like the plague.

Indigo will get rid of red tones, but beware, you can't remove it (some people do it successfully but most people wind up with frog-butt green hair.) Indigo must be used in conjunction with henna in order to be effective.

JellyBene
July 22nd, 2012, 09:39 PM
I can attest to the 'frog butt green'!!!! Are you looking to dye your hair black using henna and indigo? I use it to make my dark blonde hair black and trust me, it covers anything!

Debra83
July 22nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
I can attest to the 'frog butt green'!!!! Are you looking to dye your hair black using henna and indigo? I use it to make my dark blonde hair black and trust me, it covers anything!

yup. Definitely a greenish tinge. sigh.

Tisiloves
July 22nd, 2012, 09:49 PM
Dunno, try strand testing.

Personally, I would suggest mixing some blue or green direct deposit dye with your conditioner, the same way you get rid of brassy tones in blonde hair.

RockyChristine
July 25th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Can you henndigo over bleached blonde hair? I'm looking for the least painful way possible to go from terrifyingly bleached back to my more usual black.

Catia
July 25th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Hi,
I'm wondering if black henna or indigo can get rid of some red/copper undertones in my dark brown hair without turning my hair black. Would it be possible to achieve if I apply it and leave it on for a short period of time?

It would mellow out the red if only going for dark brown, but even if you two-stepped for pitch black, henna will still flare red in the sun. It can even appear blue black, then the sun hits it and BOOM. Red flare. That's henna for ya :rolleyes:

If you choose to do this, be careful because indigo can sneak up on you and turn black rather easily after a couple applications.

Also - if you already have henna in your hair; if you apply straight indigo on it, it can take it like you were two-stepping (black). Dilute the indigo, and yes, leave it on a shorter amount of time. Better to get there slowly then to get too dark and not be able to come back.

PolarCathy
July 25th, 2012, 12:25 PM
It would mellow out the red if only going for dark brown, but even if you two-stepped for pitch black, henna will still flare red in the sun. It can even appear blue black, then the sun hits it and BOOM. Red flare. That's henna for ya :rolleyes:

If you choose to do this, be careful because indigo can sneak up on you and turn black rather easily after a couple applications.

Also - if you already have henna in your hair; if you apply straight indigo on it, it can take it like you were two-stepping (black). Dilute the indigo, and yes, leave it on a shorter amount of time. Better to get there slowly then to get too dark and not be able to come back.

I.second.every.word.of.that.

Amber_Maiden
July 25th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Indigo can, yes, but sometimes it fades... so sometimes you have to keep reapplying it monthly.

Luna12345
July 31st, 2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks all for the helpful tips =)