PDA

View Full Version : Snobby Hair: Is your hair's needs the issue?

dawnss
July 22nd, 2012, 06:10 PM
This is for ranting, raving, or just flat out screaming about your snobby hair. Does anyone else have hair that just won't accept certain products or tactics? Does your hair laugh, if hair ever could, when you try the latest technique? Do you have daily battles with your mane, that usually result in you just giving up.

Seriously, if your hair is making you broke or you cringe when it acts up like a three year old who didn't get candy in the store, then you know you may have a problem lol. (Hopefully that was not offensive to parents on this forum, or any parents in general).

Lately, I've been looking for a great alternative to my number one detangling conditioner: Redken Smooth Down (seriously for my type Four hair suave, v05, garnier, loreal, and etc just won't do I have to use way too much product to detangle, so my bottles don't last that long). Which is somewhat comical.

brave
July 22nd, 2012, 06:30 PM
I think I gave up a while ago and now my hair is the boss of me. Any time I'm especially despairing I just try to make it look like it's intentional. Thankfully there's a large variety of hair in fashion right now.

spirals
July 22nd, 2012, 06:53 PM
Mine's curly, which is by a synonym for finicky. I'm used to it; I just go along for the ride. I have a lot of products.

HintOfMint
July 22nd, 2012, 07:25 PM
I think of my hair as a child with a ton of allergies. It's not its fault, really, and when I feed it a healthy diet, it mostly behaves. But it's allergic to med/high quantities of protein, lotiony/humectant heavy products tear it up, and it will get buildup every once in a while. It will tangle if I let it run around wild every once in a while, but it's a kid and it needs to get out and explore, even if they come back with scraped knees. And humidity is a bitch even for the parent (me).

Wow, this metaphor/personification got seriously out of hand.

dixid
July 22nd, 2012, 07:33 PM
It's not my hair that requires certain products, it's my allergies. Earlier this year I became allergic to shampoo. After suffering massive hives for two weeks I consulted my allergist. I was hoping for another batch of testing, instead he made a guess based on past experience and recommended that I start the no poo method. He said if that cleared up the problem I could start trying various natural/organic shampoos to narrow down the exact ingredient that caused the problem, but I've been so happy with my hair on no poo that I decided to let it grow out.

based goddess
July 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM
I first read this as ''snotty hair.''

My hair is dry so it has specific needs, but I'm pretty good at keeping up! That's cause it's curly, but that's a completely different issue. The curls are so hard for me to blow dry myself, I HAAAATE them.

dawnss
July 22nd, 2012, 10:22 PM
It sure is nice to know that my hair is just as fussy as other lhc members!!

Diamond.Eyes
July 22nd, 2012, 10:45 PM
Mine is straight and heavy so naturally it will not hold a curl for the life of me unless I leave some sort of curling form in my hair overnight. I used to be able to sockbun my hair for an hour or two and get great curls that lasted all day, now it is too heavy and much too hot outside to hold a curl. Winter better get here fast..

ddiana1979
July 22nd, 2012, 10:51 PM
My hair doesn't like certain common LHC techniques. Stretching washes (that's actually my fault, I exercise a couple hours a day on average and would get completely gross), CO, WO, all of these were huge fails for me.

tiarefleur
July 29th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Absolutely. When I heat style, I deal with damage, and when I don't, I have to find a way to make my hair feel less like steel wool and more like hair...I think I have finally found a good combination of products that works for me, but I'm sure my hair will eventually prove me wrong :rolleyes:

Suze2012
July 29th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I've battled with all kinds of products over the years...spent a fortune too!

I have finally cracked it I think with my hair - but obviously then I go and do something stupid like see how a coney conditioner behaves on it! Lol!

My findings on my hair are that:
it doesn't like brushes - I can't remember when i last used one anywhere but for my fringe..it must be at least 20 years.
it doesn't like being combed and I haven't used one for a few months.
it doesn't like towels so i use t-shirts now.
it doesn't like heat so I only dry my fringe and haven't blow dried for about 4 years.
it doesn't like products that are designed to do 'xyz' as they never do what it says on the label.
it doesn't like products full stop actually!

it likes being washed with conditioner.
it likes coconut oil treatments
it likes aloe vera gel to tame the frizz.
it likes being left to dry naturally - which is a pain sometimes.

I wish I had sussed it would be so simple a long long time ago! Haha!

Amber_Maiden
July 29th, 2012, 05:18 AM
My hair is super thick, and sometimes it dreads and tangles itself- and I have to cut the tangles out. Of course, no one- including myself- ever notices the places I cut tangles from (think big chunks of hair getting cut out), but still... Also my dry dry ends... I don't get why it doesn't like anything!

Ice Fox
July 29th, 2012, 05:29 AM
My hair throws a strop like anything. Hates product and blow drying - so I've reached a place of complete surrender and I'm trying to work the 'through a hedge backwards' look - although mostly it works me, unless I put my hair in a (small - sniff) bun.

DancingQueen
July 29th, 2012, 05:44 AM
I love my hair, don't get me wrong - but I have learned, that you do not tame my hair, you work with it instead of against it.

- If I use a lot of heat and product on it, it might stay down for a little while... but a few hours later, it will be even more crazy than before.
- It does not like being told what to do - any attempt to change the texture, keep it smooth or scrunching when wet is futile. It will only make it worse.
- It despise brushes, tangle teezers and others of the kind - no matter how many people like it.

Oh, and going to a party where you really need your hair to stay nice? It will frizz and curl and twist and tangle and look like a bids nest, and no amount of wax, hairspray or heat styling will fix it.

It does like air drying, lots of cones and sulfates, wide tooth combs and some hair oils. :)

jacqueline101
July 29th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Mine isn't finicky its just picky. It likes cheaper products. I don't have a natural curl so my post perm from two years ago still rules its head at time so I have to use products to deal with curls or live with frizz.

CurlyCurves
July 29th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Oh, yes, my hair is a snob.

Use the same product for a while? I HATE IT.

Spend lots of money on an Organic/non-animal tested/natural expensive conditioner? DRY HAIR.

Spend time, money and effort making FSG? TANGLES.

Want to put oil on your hair to seal in moisture? GREASY, STRINGY HAIR.

And the list goes on ... :p

Loviatar
July 29th, 2012, 01:53 PM
My hair is only snobby about cones, and which cones it will accept without turning into a mess. :D

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Mine is straight and heavy so naturally it will not hold a curl for the life of me unless I leave some sort of curling form in my hair overnight. I used to be able to sockbun my hair for an hour or two and get great curls that lasted all day, now it is too heavy and much too hot outside to hold a curl. Winter better get here fast..

I would have never known you're not a natural curly haired gal. I thought you just changed the curl pattern around like a friend of mine does. You do a great job!

So... when can I fly you over so you can do my hair, miss?

to OP: I totally read the title as having snot in my hair and if I used tissues to get it out. I was so confused.

But yes, my hair has a mind of its own. One day I can do the most fantastic hair style and then it chooses not to do it again. EVER. I'll add product, take out the product, do it two days after wash, the day of wash, right after a wash. Nada. It kind of reminds me of the McDonald's commercial where Ronald tries to comb that ONE hair strand down and it simply refuses.

The most product I have is some mouse and curling lotion. Sadly they all belong to my hubby but that wont' stop me from trying them.

haibane
July 29th, 2012, 03:18 PM
My hair is lazy and don't want to do anything but hang straight down. And even if I get it to stay in an updo my scalp gets cranky.

The other day I misted my hair lightly and put it up, and somehow managed to keep it up for 6 hours, which I'm pretty sure is a new record for me. So I go to take it down hoping I'll get some nice braidwaves out of it... hair's still all damp. :doh:
What little wave was there fell out within seconds, except for one big bend down about middle of my back, looked pretty funny. :p

jojo
July 30th, 2012, 06:15 AM
I've had a year of using shop brands on my hair and have now gone back to ore expensive brands, have to saymy hair is a snob and prefers matrix and tigi products. My hair just feels and looks a lot better from using them!

afu
July 30th, 2012, 06:47 AM
my hair is very 'unsnobby' it seems to get on best with cheaper products. but i think that is partly because A LOT of the more expensive conditioners contain protein which makes my hair go wild

Suze2012
July 30th, 2012, 12:09 PM
My hair had a complete and utter girly hissy fit over the last few days! Grrr!!

I tried some coney conditioner on it to see what happened - day one was fine (but no real difference to how is usually is without cones)..
Day two and a co wash..it hated the cones and frizzed up.
I left it for a day and did a deep treatment only because I knew it was going to have to be clarified - and it threw another hissy fit with that too! Lol!

It's happier today but still 'sulking' a little bit I think...it's back to cone free, sulphate free and I have promised not to use either of them on it again....but it's still looking at me with a bit of a pouty/quivery lower lip going on! Haha!

earthnut
July 30th, 2012, 12:14 PM
My hair won't take any no-heat curling techniques (too scared/lazy to try heat)
It's resistant to bleaching - I even tried pure chlorine bleach on my ends and NOTHING happened. (!)
I have stubborn frizz, even when I do everything "right" I still get frizz.

It's stubborn, a lot like me! :tongue:

mariazelie
July 30th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I can't resist having my say. I have the hair that literally will not grow up. Perhaps I could refer to it as Peter Pan Hair.....I don't wanna grow up, I don't wanna grow up, etc; What you see on a two or three year old is my hair, that babyish, fine stuff. It tangles like crazy when washed no matter what, refuses curl, hates almost all product and has no respect for me! Not sure if this classifies as snobby or belligerent! Needless to say, at age 59 I have spent many years being annoyed with my hair, but it has refused all my pleas to change. Thanks for asking, it made me feel better to finally say this!

LaLaBella
July 30th, 2012, 02:25 PM
My hair doesn't like certain common LHC techniques. Stretching washes (that's actually my fault, I exercise a couple hours a day on average and would get completely gross), CO, WO, all of these were huge fails for me.
That's probably why I can't stretch washes. I enjoy working out too much! (btw, I'm a Diana too :-D )

When my hair channels it's inner diva, I put it up.
Well, I have to wear it up for work (I'm an x-ray tech) for infection control reasons but I'm off today and it's in a bun.
Have to change shampoos every 2 wks or so because they stop working.
Can't use some shampoos because they make my scalp itch (glares at Clean line of shampoos)
Oh, and I'm prematurely gray so my roots need touched up between every 2 to 4 wks depending on growth rate.

MrsGuther
July 30th, 2012, 02:35 PM
This is for ranting, raving, or just flat out screaming about your snobby hair. Does anyone else have hair that just won't accept certain products or tactics? Does your hair laugh, if hair ever could, when you try the latest technique? Do you have daily battles with your mane, that usually result in you just giving up.

Seriously, if your hair is making you broke or you cringe when it acts up like a three year old who didn't get candy in the store, then you know you may have a problem lol. (Hopefully that was not offensive to parents on this forum, or any parents in general).

Lately, I've been looking for a great alternative to my number one detangling conditioner: Redken Smooth Down (seriously for my type Four hair suave, v05, garnier, loreal, and etc just won't do I have to use way too much product to detangle, so my bottles don't last that long). Which is somewhat comical.

My hair pretty much laughs at me on humid days for instance when I try to make a sleek updo... Not having it. :/

AutumnLocks
July 31st, 2012, 07:48 AM
I decided years ago to stop trying to get my hair to do things it doesn't want to. I no longer curl it, I no longer color it(although color was never a problem for my hair). I simply wash it with some good shampoo that it likes let it air dry, remove the tangles with a wide toothed comb or a pick and braid it when I go out. It's much happier and healthier that way.

jojo
July 31st, 2012, 10:57 AM
my hair is very 'unsnobby' it seems to get on best with cheaper products. but i think that is partly because A LOT of the more expensive conditioners contain protein which makes my hair go wild

Can your hair have a word with my hair?, it's costing me a fortune and to think i came on here to save money......silly stuck up hair in every manner of the speech!