PDA

View Full Version : Salon cut off 2x more than I asked for

robanna
July 22nd, 2012, 04:49 PM
So today I went to the salon to get some of my dead ends cut off. I asked for 4 inches she cut off 8 inches. My hair went from about hip lenght(the longest layer being bcl) to mbl. I was so upset I ran to the car and cried. The worst part is nobody in my family understands. So anybody else ever get more cut off then you wanted? How did you deal?

Kaelee
July 22nd, 2012, 04:52 PM
I didn't get cut off more than I wanted, exactly, but I got a real hack job one time.

I wanted a TRIM and came out looking like this:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/001600x800-1.jpg

Everyone said it was cute and didn't understand why I was upset. *sigh* I think they were trying to make me feel better, but dangit, why did they have to lie to my face? It looked like a six year old cut it!

earthnut
July 22nd, 2012, 04:53 PM
The salon ALWAYS cut off twice as much as I asked. (& I went to a different place every time) I swear haircutting school needs a special class in measurements... :p

How did I deal with it? For many years I neglected my hair, because I didn't know how to care for it myself and I didn't trust stylists. Later, I learned how to cut my own hair. I get exactly what I want now, and it's way cheaper. :D

AnnaJamila
July 22nd, 2012, 04:57 PM
I'm so sorry honey! Maybe you should look into Faye's self trimming methods; if you're cutting it you have a great deal more control over how much is cut.

Just try to think that you have a thicker healthier hemline now, weither or not you needed it. :shrug:

akuamoonmaui
July 22nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
Robanna, your hair is beautiful! I'm so sorry you experienced this! Many LHC members have and get cuts they didn't ask for. Usually the consensus is let the owner/manager know. No need to get disrespectful, rude or ugly about it, (no matter what you're really feeling!) but it's important for the stylist and owner to know that what a customer asks for is what they expect. I don't know why stylists take it upon themselves to decide what is "best". It's this fear that has kept me out of salon chair for years.

You've joined a community that definitely understands what you've been through! And I've gotten my cut from H@() too. I had shoulder length hair at the time and wanted shaping/trim and had gotten a nice cut from this woman before. (I even brought in a picture of the cut I wanted for her ). During the cut she gets a phone call that her neice/daughters friend (I dont remmeber) was just caught shoplifting. She was so freaked out she proceeded to just about shear me. I literally had 1 1//2" of hair on most of my head. I can't link the 'after' pic. but its on my "page" here. It may help with the "It could have been worse" line of thinking.

:grouphug:
~ A

lechatn0ir
July 22nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
awww thats awful! i would feel really upset too >.< a least TLHC understands your pain. I wish i can go shoot whoever did that to your hair :guns:

IndigoOptimist
July 22nd, 2012, 05:06 PM
How did I deal with it? For many years I neglected my hair, because I didn't know how to care for it myself and I didn't trust stylists. Later, I learned how to cut my own hair. I get exactly what I want now, and it's way cheaper. :D
I do the same! I last let someone else cut my hair 3 years ago, and even then it was my mums friend who was a hairdresser and who I trusted! That was before my last major cut too, I didn't want to pay someone to lop off my hair so I did it myself. I do not let anyone near my hair and when it needs a trim I section in off layer by layer and trim from there. All my growth now has been trimmed by myself and I don't think it's ever looked too bad :)

IndigoOptimist
July 22nd, 2012, 05:13 PM
Oops, computer went weird and I accidentally double posted :s

akilina
July 22nd, 2012, 05:23 PM
Yay. More hair dresser bashing. Not.

I can't help but feel offended when this place gets going on us.
I guess it hurts my feelings because most of you basically that ALL hair dressers are the same and I absolutely SWEAR they are definitely NOT.

I wish I could cut the whole LHC's hair. You would all be incredibly happy and pleased :)

akilina
July 22nd, 2012, 05:25 PM
I didn't get cut off more than I wanted, exactly, but I got a real hack job one time.

I wanted a TRIM and came out looking like this:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/001600x800-1.jpg

Everyone said it was cute and didn't understand why I was upset. *sigh* I think they were trying to make me feel better, but dangit, why did they have to lie to my face? It looked like a six year old cut it!
Everything looks fine but I can NOT believe that someone would do that to the front of your hair....I did that to one of my doll heads in the very first week of beauty college. Never in a salon on a real person ahah. :( I am sorry. :flower:

Torrin Paige
July 22nd, 2012, 05:27 PM
It's happened to most of us, I imagine. I tend to avoid stylists altogether and if I NEED to go to a pro, I go to an old school barber. For some reason, barbers actually know how to measure. You can still go to a salon, however, you just need to let them know exactly what you want. The last time I was in a salon, I asked that I be given a mirror so I could watch as my hair was cut. I also asked that she show me what an inch was - she had her fingers spread to 4 inches, seriously - and then corrected her. Needless to say, the poor girl was like a spooked horse, but she didn't cut more than I wanted. Also? You can just flat out lie. If you tell them you are growing for donation (even though you have no intention of donating) they are much more likely to trim as little as possible so that your length remains mostly unchanged. Sad but true.

Having said all of that, the very best thing you can do is go to the salon and ask to talk to the stylists. Feel them out and explain your situation. Nearly every salon will have at least one stylist who understands and will be willing to work with you and actually listen and keep you happy. All that hair needs to be trimmed and repeat customers are the best tippers. Not to mention? Word of mouth on a long hair friendly salon will bring in good business - maybe not a lot, but it'll be a nice loyal customer base. Stylists as a whole aren't evil - most are just no longer educated about very long hair. We have to help them out. :)

dawnss
July 22nd, 2012, 05:31 PM
Wow, that really sucks! I'm not trying to offend you though, but can you find any positive to the situation? I think that, it might help you deal with the situation more, especially if was really difficult to get the length you did.

TheMechaGinger
July 22nd, 2012, 05:31 PM
I had this happen to me two februarys ago for the last time. I went in for a trim, walked out with hack job like Kaelee. I've had this happen to me several times actually over the past 8 years, all different salons. After that last one though I quit going and either trim my own hair or have my momma do it. It's not that any of us mean to bash hair dressers (I certainly don't) it's just they have a tendency to get scissor happy and if you're trying to grow your hair out every inch counts!

LizTheLyre
July 22nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
yea, i feel you, i went i with almost waist length hair and came out with BSL when i just wanted a trim... maybe we should say the amount we want cut off, but in half, since they seem to take twice as much off. so, saying you want 2 inches off if you really want 4, and if they do it well and only take 2 off, then have them take the remaining 2 off. no harm done then. :)

AlabasterAlice
July 22nd, 2012, 05:49 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you! This kind of makes me want to go and put together a thread so we can find where the LH-friendly stylists are at! I know I would love to go in for a trim and color sometime in the Fall, I just don't know who to trust. If I could find someone from LHC to go to, it'd make me quite happy.

Kaelee
July 22nd, 2012, 05:54 PM
Everything looks fine but I can NOT believe that someone would do that to the front of your hair....I did that to one of my doll heads in the very first week of beauty college. Never in a salon on a real person ahah. :( I am sorry. :flower:

Yea. She was incredibly rude to me too. I still go to that salon but I request one specific hairdresser. I won't let anyone else there touch me and least of all the chick that did that!

I don't feel all hairdressers are bad!!! Not at all. It's just so hard to find a good one sometimes and it's scary to trust your hair to someone new, so a lot of people prefer to do it themselves instead of risking getting someone who is scissorhappy and ruins all of our years of hard work.

swearnsue
July 22nd, 2012, 06:31 PM

I guess it hurts my feelings because most of you basically that ALL hair dressers are the same and I absolutely SWEAR they are definitely NOT.

I wish I could cut the whole LHC's hair. You would all be incredibly happy and pleased :)

We need more hairdressers like you!

spirals
July 22nd, 2012, 06:51 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you; it is a loss. It's not life-altering, but it's still a loss. Eight inches is not 4 inches. A call to the salon manager is in order. I think many people, including many stylists, have a misperception of how much an inch is. That's why one of the stylists I went to asked me to show her how much I meant by 2 inches. I did, with my fingers, and it turned out fine. If I were a stylist I'd do the same; you can always cut more off if needed.

Odonata
July 22nd, 2012, 07:08 PM
Awww no,
There is a real trust balance and relationship building involved in choosing the hairdresser for you.
You need someone who understands what you want since they are in control of your looks which can have a huge effect on our lives

I don't think it is fair to hairdresser bash however like in all relationships not everyone's styles are the same and I think it is important to find someone you can rely on and trust.

Personally I would be so mad and I would not of paid, however I would of specified the exact line multiple times and a final check or show before scissors are seen so if after all that communication they still drastically messed up I would expect them take responsibility.

Otherwise I would also not go back to that hair dresser even if you felt that the mistake wasn't their fault- obviously they do not suit your needs-

i had the same hairdresser for 22 years- she gave me my first hair cut and i followed her when she got her own salon and moved and finally she stopped doing hair and managed the floor and handed me over to a trusted girl who had a philosophy of cutting half of what is requested then asking if you wanted more, a 1cm trim for her is 1cm not 2.5, we are really in tune about hair and I am happy.
She is in Australia and i trim my own hair , (in UK) I wouldn't trust a new person while I am trying to grow, so i restyle my fringe also- when i go back to visit home for various things I book in with her - and will go back to her when we move home - a good hairdresser (that suits you ) is hard to find and worth the loyalty once you do.

longNred
July 22nd, 2012, 07:09 PM
I wish i can go shoot whoever did that to your hair :guns:

This statement made me ill. Please, let's not wish to shoot anyone. Ever. there's been quite enough senseless violence lately.

That said, I'm sorry you got so much taken off. I do agree with the others who suggeted contacting the owner/manager of the salon.

I'm thankful I have a good stylist, not that I see her very often, but when I do she always acts on her motto.... I can take it off, but I can't put it back on. So we go little by little when I do get a trim.

akilina
July 22nd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Hmm. It is funny to me that some stylists perception of measurement is off.
How hard is it....when there is a flipping MEASURING TAPE! on our combs!
That helps me SO much. Mostly every comb has measurements on it and little tiny numbers measured to 6 inches.
A mistake ( I have no clue how someone could do this) made frequently is that usually, the very very bottom section of hair is a little shorter caused by damages that tend to happen in that area. They section off that very first section, cut, and then realize when they let the next section down that they cut off way too much off the hair that was already quite a bit shorter from breakage etc...
I have never made this mistake but it makes sense that someone else might if they are not paying attention or if they did not analyze the hair well enough.

dwell_in_safety
July 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM
Oh, that's awful! I'm so sorry that happened that you. Eight inches is a tremendous loss. Contact the owner or manager of the salon, baby your hair with your favorite treatment, and make up your favorite hot beverage (or cold, depending on what the weather's like). :blossom:

Vanille_
July 22nd, 2012, 08:11 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you.

All I can advise is to take advantage of the length if possible and try new styles that perhaps were not ideal before. At waist, I miss some BSL and APL styles.

blondebazinga
July 22nd, 2012, 08:14 PM
I don't think I've been to the hair dresser in over 5 years, I just can't trust them near my hair. I really think an inch to them is 2 or 3 regular inches. It's so infuriating!

spidermom
July 22nd, 2012, 08:26 PM
It never happened to me, not that I noticed. I have walked out with a bad haircut, though, but only once, which is fantastic given that I used to walk into unknown salons impulsively quite often.

robanna
July 22nd, 2012, 08:52 PM
Thank you all for your support!
:grouphug:

I'm really trying to get used to the new length but it's going to take a while. Although now I am much more motivated to make sure I treat my hair much better. Since i joined lhc I have made a few improvements in my hair routine but there is certainly room for more.

GabrielleRose
July 22nd, 2012, 09:01 PM
I'm very sorry this happened to you, I'm sure a lot of us have been through this because I dealt with it last August. I was just a few inches away from waist length and it got chopped to slightly below shoulder length. But I'm glad you've found that positive in this situation by saying you'll take more extra care of your length. That's how I felt when mine got chopped off.

FrozenBritannia
July 22nd, 2012, 09:02 PM
I don't have much luck with hair stylists unfortunately. One or two have been really great, the rest always left my looking like I was six again. (and that was in the early nineties if that completes the picture).

Seeshami
July 22nd, 2012, 09:04 PM
I refused to get my hair cut for 5 years to deal with salons not listening to what I want. Now I cut my own hair.

Shadow Walker
July 22nd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the misfortune. I go to an old school style barber myself, where I doubt I've seen anyone younger than 40 working there. The last barber that trimmed my hair was an older guy, looked like he was late 50's early 60's, and he took off exactly the right amount. Maybe you should try looking into a place like that if you need a trim in the future.

Kaelee
July 22nd, 2012, 09:11 PM
Do women get looked at weirdly when they go to a barber? I have considered it for a while but for some reason I'm afraid they'll think I'm odd.

LaurelSpring
July 22nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
I havent been to a salon in years. I think you will find alot of people here cut their own hair for this reason. There are some who find a stylist that they like, but I think that the majority just learn to cut their own hair.

The only thing you can really do about it is wear it up and try not to think about it too much and be patient. I still grieve a cut for a really long time.

robanna
July 22nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
Do women get looked at weirdly when they go to a barber? I have considered it for a while but for some reason I'm afraid they'll think I'm odd.

I've wondered the same thing. Anyone have any experiences?

earthnut
July 22nd, 2012, 09:48 PM

I certainly don't think all hairdressers are bad, and I would trust my hair to you. :) However, when you've had bad cuts by at least 10 different hairdressers, it kinda breaks your trust... I'm completely serious that every hairdresser I've gone to for a simple trim has taken off more hair than I asked. That is, unfortunately, my experience.

Torrin Paige
July 22nd, 2012, 09:52 PM

Nope. As a matter of fact, the old guys I've went to have loved having me in their chair. I also usually get the best stories about how they once dated a long haired lady back in the day and how they still think of her from time to time. I've always been very, very happy when I've gone to the barber. They usually seem pretty tickled to be honest.

Kaelee
July 22nd, 2012, 09:59 PM
Nope. As a matter of fact, the old guys I've went to have loved having me in their chair. I also usually get the best stories about how they once dated a long haired lady back in the day and how they still think of her from time to time. I've always been very, very happy when I've gone to the barber. They usually seem pretty tickled to be honest.

That's awesome! Maybe I'll try it, if I wouldn't feel like I was "cheating" on my other hairdresser (does anyone else feel that way? Like they're "cheating" on their regular hairdresser when they go to find someone new?). There is a barber shop right up the street from me, I wouldn't have to drive there!

Jesabel
July 22nd, 2012, 10:14 PM
That's awesome! Maybe I'll try it, if I wouldn't feel like I was "cheating" on my other hairdresser (does anyone else feel that way? Like they're "cheating" on their regular hairdresser when they go to find someone new?)...

I've been trimming my own hair and haven't been to my hairdresser (who is awesome, I've just been lazy) and I'm nervous to go back to her because I feel like I've cheated on her :p

Kaelee
July 22nd, 2012, 10:21 PM
I've been trimming my own hair and haven't been to my hairdresser (who is awesome, I've just been lazy) and I'm nervous to go back to her because I feel like I've cheated on her :p

I wish I could trim my own hair but I have layers. I want to eventually get rid of the layers and go to a blunt U shaped hemline, but I don't want to do that until I'm at about waist (unless I do it gradually).

Jesabel
July 22nd, 2012, 10:45 PM
I wish I could trim my own hair but I have layers. I want to eventually get rid of the layers and go to a blunt U shaped hemline, but I don't want to do that until I'm at about waist (unless I do it gradually).

I have layers too :) Getting longer as I trim more off the longest layer, but I still trim my layers too. Might be easier since my hair is longer and wavy so doesn't matter too much if it's not perfect :p

Kyla
July 22nd, 2012, 10:51 PM
I'm really sorry that happened to you. :( It's so awful when you trust any part of your body to someone, even something that most people consider mildly trivial, and they take advantage of that in order to force you to look how they want. I think of it as a personal offense and a betrayal, although that may sound dramatic.

My mother used to trim my hair all the time when I was younger, and she would always promise to cut only one or two inches...and she would cut at least five. I understand. :(

heyshortyhey
July 22nd, 2012, 11:00 PM

that is what we call a "hole" (for obvious reasons) I've cut one of those in someones hair before (beauty school) but luckily it was an easy fix at her length...sorry that happened to you!

oops, I was trying to quote you AND the picture

lmfbs
July 22nd, 2012, 11:04 PM
I have layers too :) Getting longer as I trim more off the longest layer, but I still trim my layers too. Might be easier since my hair is longer and wavy so doesn't matter too much if it's not perfect :p

I tried to trim my layers and it was a massive fail. I couldn't even section them properly! I just S&D them, and recently chopped the last layer off. Super glad I got long ones. What a pain.

akilina
July 22nd, 2012, 11:09 PM
I certainly don't think all hairdressers are bad, and I would trust my hair to you. :) However, when you've had bad cuts by at least 10 different hairdressers, it kinda breaks your trust... I'm completely serious that every hairdresser I've gone to for a simple trim has taken off more hair than I asked. That is, unfortunately, my experience.
Oh I completely understand :) it just makes things worse for me. Not you personally not trusting them, it is unfortunate that so many people have had bad experiences. I will not lie...in the first few months of my first job I probably did not impress a few people and that makes me sad.

Keepitgrowing29
July 22nd, 2012, 11:26 PM
This subject comes up sooo often. It's horrible. Some hair stylist have it in their heads that they know what's best. But what they fail to realize is that we are the customers and we are paying for a service. If they can't perform the service to our specification then they should give us the option to take our business else where. Sorry this happened to you.

Allychan
July 23rd, 2012, 12:35 AM
I stole this (http://pinterest.com/pin/95631192058238047/) very relevant to the topic picture from Autumn Jasmine's Pinterest board yesterday.

Wishing a speedy growth of recovery
ps whilst very appropriate just be warned explicit language

Tota
July 23rd, 2012, 01:32 AM
I just don't get it. When you go to a restaurant and order fried chicken the waiter will bring you fried chicken even if he believes salmon would be better for you. So why are hairdressers (who are also providing a service) acting differently? I have this same eternal problem with haidressers. Now I just don't go to salons anymore.

Mesmerise
July 23rd, 2012, 06:27 AM
Aww I am sorry this happened to you :(. I find the best way of dealing with hairdressers is to SHOW them with my fingers exactly how much I want off! I don't trust that they know what an inch or 2cm is or whatever :rolleyes: it's sad, but too many get it wrong! I honestly don't know how someone can think 4" is 8" I really don't...

That said, I haven't been to a salon in 18 months as I've been trimming my own hair. The last hairdresser didn't do a bad job (and she DID do as I asked) but it bothered me that she kept asking if I wanted layers :disgust:. Really... if I want layers, I WILL ASK. I shouldn't have to refuse layers several times (and this was in hair that was already woefully thin due to shedding).

We do know that not all hairdressers are bad :D. I'm sorry that these discussions make you upset, and I do understand how you must feel. OF COURSE there are some fantastic hairdressers out there that do exactly as asked! Sadly though... they seem a little few and far between. I have no idea why.

My friend took her DD into the hairdresser for a cut, and when it was finished she asked me to come in and fix the mess :rolleyes: I'm no trained stylist but I can cut in a straight line... her hair had all these weird uneven bits (and it was supposed to be a blunt cut)! I'm sure the hairdresser was trying to achieve something... I'm just not sure what.

I really don't understand why some can't follow simple directions. Yes, hairdressers are the experts, and they may look at your hair and think you'd look good with XYZ, or think it needs more trimmed off than you want, or think that thinning would be a good idea... which is all well and good, EXCEPT if you ask for just a trim.

In defense of hairdressers I must say that I've probably had more cuts that I've been satisfied with than not. It's just that the bad ones stand out! You can have five years worth of great cuts, and that's all overshadowed by the ONE awful one you have to grow out! Honestly, I can probably number all my bad cuts on one hand... truly... it's just those are the ones I think of and refer back to when I read the bad haircut threads!

Tota
July 23rd, 2012, 06:39 AM

I would be so happy if you could be my hair dresser. I would trust you completely because as a LHC member you certainly know how sacred and important an inch of hair is and that it is not to be just chopped off carelessly when one is trying to grow longer hair. Unfortunately, where I live, most hairdressers are following the philosophy "It's just hair" and "I know what best for my customer is". Going there and fussing about how much they can cut off makes me feel like a nagging jerk. So I just don't go anymore. I will need someone to style my hair soon (to connect my grown out bangs with the rest of the hair) but I really don't know where to go because I'm so afraid I'll regret it.

Sorry about hijacking the thread. I'm so sorry OP, but it happened to A LOT of us:(

GoblinTart
July 23rd, 2012, 07:29 AM
My last haircut was at a Walmart salon 3 years ago. Went in with BSL chemical damaged hair and told the lady to chop it all off. She tried to convince me to just trim an inch or two, and come back again another time for regular trims to get more damage off. But my hair was in a never ending cycle of old damage causing new damage. So I had her give me a chin length bob. It was really cute. I loved that she saw I was a longhair at heart and tried to accommodate that before i made her just chop.

My DH gave me money last year and told me to go get my hair cut. I went to our local beauty school. Got a lovely student who was a bit nervous. We sat and talked about what I wanted. I showed her I wanted a 1/2 inch to an inch off. She showed me how much she was going to start with before even picking up the scissors. Then walks in her instructor. The instructor wanted the student to just chop my hair. I looked at the instructor, and told her i was growing my hair, I do not like my hair short, I do not want it short. She tried to convince me I would look good with it, I could just wash and go. I had to sit there and debate with her that my hair, is not wash and go when It's short. Finally told her that if more than I asked is cut, the school will not get a penny out of me. She wanted her student to have practice working with hair. I told her i realized that. Do they teach their students how to do updos? Well, yes, but they don't do it there very often. We ended up.coming to an agreement. The student will TRIM my hair. Then, she can do an updo in my hair, whatever she wanted. I was happy, the student was happy, the instructor was...not happy that her student didn't chop off some hair. The student did a very elegant bun with strands surrounding it so it looked like a flower. It was very pretty. I did end up speaking with the head instructor afterwards about the instructor that wanted to chop my hair. And the student got a very large tip from me.

Kwantslonghair
July 23rd, 2012, 07:29 AM
YES!!!!! When I was 28. Had beautiful 32 inch hair. Told the hair dresser I wanted an inch trim. She grabbed by hair in the back. And before I knew it. She left me an inch. I was horrified. My friend had long hair. So we always trimmed each others. She moved to Washington state from Indiana so she couldn't do the trim. I want that hair back..on a positive note. The last big trim I had. I told the hd that I was growing long. I had a longer layer that I wanted evened out with the rest. She asked if I was sure because it was 3 inches. I did. And it looked lots better. Not all hd's are bad.

Carolyn
July 23rd, 2012, 07:34 AM
I don't think anyone is bashing ALL stylists. But anyone should know that for a long haired person, one bad haircut can take several years to recover from. And if you get a bad haircut you have to deal with it every single day until it grows out. Every time you look in the mirror and comb your hair, the bad haircut is there staring you in the face. It's not like a pair of shoes that gave you blisters or a badly done manicure. You return the shoes if possible or get rid of them and problem solved. Bad manicure? Remove the polish and do it again.

I haven't been to beauty school but it seems to me that stylists aren't being trained to really listen to their clients. That should be one of the first things taught in school. How hard would it be for a stylist to show a client what an inch is in their mind? I've had stylists do that for me and I was impressed. Cutting off 8" instead of 4" is reprehensible.

ariesfairies
July 23rd, 2012, 07:38 AM
That's why you save the drama and cut your own for free or by a friend! =P

The last time I went I had about 6 or 7cm snipped off when I only wanted a trim. Maybe "trim" to the hairdresser essentially mean't, "lop off 6 or 7 cm to get the fashionable BSL look", but gee, I only had split ends to take care of! 2 years hairdresser cold turkey :P

Kaelee
July 23rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
My last haircut was at a Walmart salon 3 years ago. Went in with BSL chemical damaged hair and told the lady to chop it all off. She tried to convince me to just trim an inch or two, and come back again another time for regular trims to get more damage off. But my hair was in a never ending cycle of old damage causing new damage. So I had her give me a chin length bob. It was really cute. I loved that she saw I was a longhair at heart and tried to accommodate that before i made her just chop.

My DH gave me money last year and told me to go get my hair cut. I went to our local beauty school. Got a lovely student who was a bit nervous. We sat and talked about what I wanted. I showed her I wanted a 1/2 inch to an inch off. She showed me how much she was going to start with before even picking up the scissors. Then walks in her instructor. The instructor wanted the student to just chop my hair. I looked at the instructor, and told her i was growing my hair, I do not like my hair short, I do not want it short. She tried to convince me I would look good with it, I could just wash and go. I had to sit there and debate with her that my hair, is not wash and go when It's short. Finally told her that if more than I asked is cut, the school will not get a penny out of me. She wanted her student to have practice working with hair. I told her i realized that. Do they teach their students how to do updos? Well, yes, but they don't do it there very often. We ended up.coming to an agreement. The student will TRIM my hair. Then, she can do an updo in my hair, whatever she wanted. I was happy, the student was happy, the instructor was...not happy that her student didn't chop off some hair. The student did a very elegant bun with strands surrounding it so it looked like a flower. It was very pretty. I did end up speaking with the head instructor afterwards about the instructor that wanted to chop my hair. And the student got a very large tip from me.

Horrible! That instructor was actively trying to teach her student to do exactly what you asked NOT to have done! I wonder how often this goes on in "beauty school". I hope it's not often.

For those of you who have layers and trim your own hair, how do you do it? I'm afraid I'll mess it up, but I would love to do self-trims.

dulce
July 23rd, 2012, 10:37 AM
Kaelee,check out the creaclip,it does u ,v, and blunt hems,bangs, and layer cuts.My long haired friend has one and loves it and I've ordered one.Check out their website and also utube to see videos of people cutting their hair with it in different styles.

gillybeanxo3921
July 23rd, 2012, 10:39 AM
Ughh they can be horrible. Every time I ask for 1/2 an inch, I ALWAYS get more off. I don't mind a little more, but last time I got it cut, the little witch snipped off three inches.

I could probably use a trim, but I refuse to go back until it's absolutely necessary. I'm not risking more than I have to.

misspurdy06
July 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Did you go back in and complain? How can they know they screwed up unless you tell them?

If you didn't make it very clear how upset you are and how unacceptable it is what they did.

I'm sure the will be properly mortified.

spookyghost
July 23rd, 2012, 10:58 AM
I don't think anyone is bashing ALL stylists. But anyone should know that for a long haired person, one bad haircut can take several years to recover from. And if you get a bad haircut you have to deal with it every single day until it grows out. Every time you look in the mirror and comb your hair, the bad haircut is there staring you in the face. It's not like a pair of shoes that gave you blisters or a badly done manicure. You return the shoes if possible or get rid of them and problem solved. Bad manicure? Remove the polish and do it again.

I haven't been to beauty school but it seems to me that stylists aren't being trained to really listen to their clients. That should be one of the first things taught in school. How hard would it be for a stylist to show a client what an inch is in their mind? I've had stylists do that for me and I was impressed. Cutting off 8" instead of 4" is reprehensible.

This exactly! I know there are many awesome hd's out there, I just havent come across one. And if I did, I would treasure her! It has taken me two years to recover from my last bad hair trim and three years before that to recover from the worst one of my life. Now guess what? I am trying to recover from a bad hair color. I told her that not only was I growing my hair to waist but that healthy hair meant as much to me as the length. I am trying to grow out bleach highlights and thought that getting my hair colored back to ash, my normal hair color, would make it easier on the eyes while I do this. I explained what I wanted, I got strawberry blonde hair that looked orange from the ears up!:mad: I almost died. Not only did it look awful but now I am put in the position to fix this which is even more damaging to my hair. So now I am paying for demi permanent color every 4-6 weeks, 45.00, to cover up this awful color. It will probably take about five years to grow out the color completely.

Bad hair cuts and colors take years to recover from and I am reminded of it everytime I look in the mirror.

earthnut
July 23rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
For those of you who have layers and trim your own hair, how do you do it? I'm afraid I'll mess it up, but I would love to do self-trims.

I have layers. I do the ponytail method, kinda. I flip my hair upside down, pull the ends together and snip straight across. I get long layers with a U shaped hemline.

You could also do a blunt cut upside down, or a U or V shape upside down, or put a ponytail at various elevations on your scalp and cut the end blunt. Each variation will give slightly different results.

Mesmerise
July 23rd, 2012, 03:36 PM
YES!!!!! When I was 28. Had beautiful 32 inch hair. Told the hair dresser I wanted an inch trim. She grabbed by hair in the back. And before I knew it. She left me an inch. I was horrified. My friend had long hair. So we always trimmed each others. She moved to Washington state from Indiana so she couldn't do the trim. I want that hair back..on a positive note. The last big trim I had. I told the hd that I was growing long. I had a longer layer that I wanted evened out with the rest. She asked if I was sure because it was 3 inches. I did. And it looked lots better. Not all hd's are bad.

Wow! She cut off ALL YOUR HAIR?? OMG I just can not believe hairdressers do that! I've had some bad haircuts in my time, but I have never had anyone be so disrespectful as to chop off all my hair after asking for a trim!

It's stuff like this that means I never want to visit a hairdresser... even though I do know there are good ones out there who I would like to support!

kaydana
July 23rd, 2012, 04:21 PM

I use Feye's self trim method to get a neat(ish) hem, then put my hair in a ponytail on top of my head towards the front (I put it just behind where my fringe starts) and trim the ends straight across. Gives a nice U shape to the layers. If you want a rough idea of the shape it gives, look at the picture on my profile. It's not a very good picture but the pink bits are the ends of my hair (I dye the ends using the same method I use to cut it. Ignore the braid in the picture, it's just the front bit, doesn't change the shape of the layers at the back).

lapushka
July 23rd, 2012, 04:30 PM
I really don't understand why some can't follow simple directions. Yes, hairdressers are the experts, and they may look at your hair and think you'd look good with XYZ, or think it needs more trimmed off than you want, or think that thinning would be a good idea... which is all well and good, EXCEPT if you ask for just a trim.

That's it, isn't it? IMO hairdressers that can style a person are priceless and it's an art, really, to make sure someone leaves with a style that suits them, but I don't get the part where someone who goes in for a trim of an inch can come out leaving with 4 inches or more cut off, and with any luck: unlayered.

I also don't see these kinds of threads as hairdresser bashing - at all. No one is saying *all* hairdressers are bad. It's just there's a lot of people with bad hairdresser experiences to be found here.

lunalocks
July 23rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
There is only one hairdresser I have ever been to who always ALWAYS cuts 1/4 inch when I ask her to. All the others, when I ask for 1/4 inch they take 1/2. I ask for 1/2 they a whole. etc. My experience is that they take twice what you really want. So I am now wise. If I want 1/2 inch off, I ask for 1/4.

prettykitty
July 23rd, 2012, 05:37 PM
Aww, I'm sorry this happened. There are good hairdressers out there, but it's awfully hard finding the right one.

CurlyCurves
July 23rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
I'm so sorry :(

This is why nobody cuts my hair but me.

robanna
July 23rd, 2012, 07:24 PM
I'm not bashing all hairdressers at all. I'm sure there are plenty of great hairdressers out there! In fact the trim I got before this one, the lady cut off exactly how much I wanted. Although, after this I think I may start cutting my own hair. :shrug:

Did you go back in and complain? How can they know they screwed up unless you tell them?

If you didn't make it very clear how upset you are and how unacceptable it is what they did.

I'm sure the will be properly mortified.

I didn't at the time, but I may call.

honeybunny_1996
July 23rd, 2012, 07:43 PM
I'm sorry you didn't not get the trim you had asked for and i understand your pain. I would suggest for future trims to invest in a creaclip to be able to cut off the exact amount that you want. Feye's self trim method would also be great. Your hair will grow back and benign neglect will help.

sweetestpoison
July 23rd, 2012, 07:50 PM
My hair stylist friend offered to cut my hair once at a party we were at, she happened to have her tools in her car so i sat at the kitchen table while she straightened and cut my hair. It was the first cut i'd had in almost 3 years so i expected to lose a good bit, she said "i'm gonna have to take off about 2 inches" which was great and i, of course, believed her >.> At the end of the cut i went to the mirror, and my waist length hair went to shoulder blade length! She said "oh yeah, i got a little scissor happy" I didn't mind it at first, because it looked so healthy and great. But as soon as i tried to do one of the updos i was so accustomed to going with i got really sad. Oh well, it's grown back and then some now n_n

tanya222
July 23rd, 2012, 08:17 PM
Yup I unfortunately know how you feel! Went for a one inch trim (years ago) to this $10 haircut place as I didn't have money to go to my usual place in the mall... afterwards the lady says "I do crooked, I fix" (in spanish accent) Well by the time she had 'fixed' it I had lost about 6 inches! In retrospect I regret having paid for such a bad cut, first of all what if I had walked in with only 6 inches of hair, would I have come out bald? Second how the h*ll crooked was it the first time that it took 5 more inches of cutting to 'fix'?? I was so mad when I got out of there! I'm not saying all $10 places are bad, but I've stuck to my more expensive place in the mall where the girls know how to cut straight, and they double- and triple-check with you first how much you want off, and I haven't had the experience repeated praise the gods!

Alun
July 23rd, 2012, 08:29 PM

The trouble is, it has probably happened to most of us.

I haven't had a hair cut in a long time, but I think asking for half as much off as you really want is probably the wisest thing to do, for most of us most of the time.

I'm sorry if you are offended, but one over-zealous cut can undo years of growing.

As for going to an old-fashioned barber, speaking as a longhaired male that never worked for me. Many of them probably objected to the length of my hair and cut off extra on purpose.

11eleven
July 23rd, 2012, 08:41 PM
I'm so sorry :(

I've had that happen to me and I have cried about it too. I decided about 2 years ago that if I'm growing long when I want a trim I do it myself.

jacqueline101
July 23rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
I feel your pain. Not all hair dressers are bad I had one that was great and she retired. This was my pre lhc days and its the fact the hair dresser didn't listen to you is the problem. If you want a certain amount taken off they should do that and not cut off more.

MrsGuther
July 23rd, 2012, 09:41 PM
So today I went to the salon to get some of my dead ends cut off. I asked for 4 inches she cut off 8 inches. My hair went from about hip lenght(the longest layer being bcl) to mbl. I was so upset I ran to the car and cried. The worst part is nobody in my family understands. So anybody else ever get more cut off then you wanted? How did you deal?

So sorry this happened to you! :( I've experienced that before a couple times at different salons, and it sucks! I think some hair stylists enjoy hacking people's hair off just for the heck of it.

Kaelee
July 23rd, 2012, 11:12 PM
I have layers. I do the ponytail method, kinda. I flip my hair upside down, pull the ends together and snip straight across. I get long layers with a U shaped hemline.

You could also do a blunt cut upside down, or a U or V shape upside down, or put a ponytail at various elevations on your scalp and cut the end blunt. Each variation will give slightly different results.

I use Feye's self trim method to get a neat(ish) hem, then put my hair in a ponytail on top of my head towards the front (I put it just behind where my fringe starts) and trim the ends straight across. Gives a nice U shape to the layers. If you want a rough idea of the shape it gives, look at the picture on my profile. It's not a very good picture but the pink bits are the ends of my hair (I dye the ends using the same method I use to cut it. Ignore the braid in the picture, it's just the front bit, doesn't change the shape of the layers at the back).

Wow! And a U shape is what I eventually want to go for, when I reach waist I plan to ditch the layers completely.

I'm really tempted to try this, but I'm afraid to mess it up! :(

kaydana
July 24th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Wow! And a U shape is what I eventually want to go for, when I reach waist I plan to ditch the layers completely.

I'm really tempted to try this, but I'm afraid to mess it up! :(

Whichever method you choose to use, the trick is to take it slowly and cut it a bit at a time. Don't go hacking through the entire ponytail at once and cut off less than you want, you can always take off more later. Take a fine tooth comb and separate a small section from the ponytail, use the comb to show the line you're going to cut and hold the hair while you cut it, then take another small section, get that lined up with the one you've already cut, make sure it's straight. If you try cutting through the whole ponytail at once it will almost definitely end up wonky, but if you take your time and work with a small section at a time, it'll work fine. The feathery way the layers fall with any of those methods will disguise most small mistakes.

Kaelee
July 24th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Whichever method you choose to use, the trick is to take it slowly and cut it a bit at a time. Don't go hacking through the entire ponytail at once and cut off less than you want, you can always take off more later. Take a fine tooth comb and separate a small section from the ponytail, use the comb to show the line you're going to cut and hold the hair while you cut it, then take another small section, get that lined up with the one you've already cut, make sure it's straight. If you try cutting through the whole ponytail at once it will almost definitely end up wonky, but if you take your time and work with a small section at a time, it'll work fine. The feathery way the layers fall with any of those methods will disguise most small mistakes.

Thanks for all the great tips! I want to start microtrimming (about 1/8th") and slowly trimming out the layers I think. Or maybe I'll keep the layers and get rid of them all at once at waist. :)

DancingQueen
July 24th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I know what you mean, I am still looking for a hairdresser who won't rip out all of my hair, or cut half of it off. Once, I asked my hairdresser for no shorter than shoulder, but longer if possible, and she cut it to jaw!!! (it did NOT suit my face) I was furious, and never went to her again.

Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is to wait for it to grow out. But if you are looking for another hairdresser, maybe look for someone with long hair and the same hair type as yourself. Sometimes, they understand better than other hairdressers. :)

Amber_Maiden
July 24th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Yep, it's happened to me plenty of times. I just wait for it to grow back, because there is nothing I can do. The most recent time was about a month ago when I went for a trim, asked for 2in off, and she took off 4.

kallarina
July 24th, 2012, 11:05 AM
The problem with these hair dressers is that they continue to be paid for hack jobs. Most women won't stand up for themselves and tell a hairdresser that they aren't pleased. How is a person supposed to know that they made a mistake if they aren't ever told? So when they get to your hair, they assume that since everyone else they've ever done it to has been "satisfied", that it can continue. Hairdressers are not inherently stupid, nor are they magically rendered unable to measure once they become a hairdresser. They are often asked to take liberties with people's hair, and are rarely corrected if the client is displeased. Does this mean it's okay to hack your hair? Absolutely not. Which is why the services shouldn't be paid for, and it should be made very clear that you are upset.
My mom has worked in a salon my entire life. I've seen many hairdressers come and go. Not one of them was incompetent with a ruler. They have rulers on their combs. The problem lies in the fact that they are usually told by clients to do whatever they want. They are artists of hair, and when a client comes in and cannot be VERY FIRM about what they want, it is hard for them to step back from being an artist.
Are all hairdressers bad? No. Are hairdressers evil? No. Are all hairdressers good? Of course not. But I've yet to meet one that is incompetent. And I've yet to meet one who didn't do their best to satisfy the client, even though they may make a mistake in what the client might want.

RedheadMistress
July 24th, 2012, 12:00 PM
- That happened to me a couple of years ago, the hairdresser cut off all my damaged hair so i had this curly dark brown afro and in the end i was grateful, only time I've seen my hair healthy in my adult life, only then did I know I still had super curly ringlets .
I asked the hairdresser for my money back at first, got it and then I got used to my hair and it felt . . so soft and nice and amazing .

Nowadays I keep my hair a little bit unhealthy (bleach and dye it pinkish red) but it's nice knowing how my hair could look healthy . .

Kwantslonghair
July 24th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Mesmerise...yes. She cut it all. I mostly trim my own now. Fighting bf now. He says I have to cut it..says its too long. I want it at least to waist. It's bsl now. I am NOT cutting. I am 52 years old and I am the one who takes care of it.

AutumnLocks
July 31st, 2012, 09:12 AM
I have had really good luck with most hairdressers(knock wood). God Bless the good ones! I know they have to put up with a lot from some folks. However, the bad ones make you want to tear up the salon! I got a cut at the salon at Montgomery Ward (I know, I'm telling my age) but it was horrible! I didn't have 3 hairs on my head that were the same length. It was one of the worst haircuts I"ve ever gotten.
We work on our long hair. We care for it,we care about it and we take pride in it. So, when a hairdresser thinks she knows what we want and what we need better than we do and then proceeds to do that it is more than frustrating!

robanna
August 1st, 2012, 10:37 AM
Horrible! That instructor was actively trying to teach her student to do exactly what you asked NOT to have done! I wonder how often this goes on in "beauty school". I hope it's not often.

I know this is kind of late, but I found this video yesterday, hope it will help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=RLFBhCOVx4E

snowtale
August 1st, 2012, 10:47 AM

I would NOT pay her! Absolutely outrageous.

This hasn't happened to me since I was a teeanger. The hairdresser would say that she's going to cut 1 inch and then cuts 3 inches (my hair was shorter back then).

I think you deserve a refund! You shouldn't have to pay for her abusing your hair and your trust.

catamonica
August 1st, 2012, 11:57 AM
I'm sorry that happened to you. You should have showed her how much you wanted cut. To bad you didn't just get up & walk out. You can look for a good salon, or trim it yourself. I trim my own hair