PDA

View Full Version : Protien treatment, when do u need it?

Nymfora
July 22nd, 2012, 01:34 PM
I have never done a protien treatment, ever, but I'm wondering if I should do one and see or not bother. How do I know if I need one? I did check a strand of hair and pulled it and it stretched a bit then snapped. So what does that mean?

jojo
July 22nd, 2012, 01:57 PM
For me my hair goes very soft, but not in a nice way sort of feels lie, wet moss. If your gets too much moisture you will notice not only the wet moss feel but it goes very stretchy, if you get too much protein it goes straw like and has no stretch, it will break if you try and stretch it.

I always wash with a protein shampoo and condition with a moisturising one and this works for my fine hair. Fine hair seems to like protein more than courser strands, which I think prefer more moisture. Although if protein is over done, hair will feel and look dull, it's all about balance.

Looking at your hair type, I'd say moisture is what your hair would like best, with occasional protein treatments. Always follow a protein treatment with a nice deep moisturising treatment too.

Hope this helps! There are quite a few threads about protein and in the articles it's explained more fully.

Nymfora
July 22nd, 2012, 02:01 PM
So if I've never done a protien treatment before would it be ok just to try it out??
I was going to use
Snowy's Fave Moisture Treatment
1 part Fave conditioner (must be moisture)
1/4 part honey
1/4 part clear aloe vera gel

Would this be ok to try out first and see what the results are?

Alvrodul
July 22nd, 2012, 02:30 PM
So if I've never done a protien treatment before would it be ok just to try it out??
I was going to use
Snowy's Fave Moisture Treatment
1 part Fave conditioner (must be moisture)
1/4 part honey
1/4 part clear aloe vera gel

Would this be ok to try out first and see what the results are?
This is a moisture treatment, it is very popular here on the boards, and most get excellent results from this.
For a protein treatment, you can take a spoonful or so of low-sodium soy sauce and mix with about half a cup of water. Put on your head for about half an hour before rinsing it out.:D

Nymfora
July 22nd, 2012, 02:41 PM
LOL well now I feel foolish :o I actually have the moisture one in my hair atm then lol.

Wildcat Diva
July 22nd, 2012, 03:02 PM
I just finished my SMT. But before I did it, I opened up a can of coconut milk, and left that on my hair for a couple of hours prior to adding the SMT. The coconut milk is a protein treatment.

Nymfora
July 22nd, 2012, 03:15 PM
I guess I'll see what my hair is like after I rinse this out later today. Is there a time limit for how long I can leave this in my hair?? It's been on for about 30 min, but I wont be taking a shower for another 4 - 5 hours still.

ETA: Hopefully I can still style my hair for tomorrow evening and that it wont be to slippery lol

Wildcat Diva
July 22nd, 2012, 03:20 PM
I guess I'll see what my hair is like after I rinse this out later today. Is there a time limit for how long I can leave this in my hair?? It's been on for about 30 min, but I wont be taking a shower for another 4 - 5 hours still.

ETA: Hopefully I can still style my hair for tomorrow evening and that it wont be to slippery lol

The SMT is in your hair now, right? You can leave it in, but I get too hot and uncomfy for that long. I don't shower every time I'm messing with my hair, I would be showering all the time, LOL. I use a clean dishpan and a plastic cup and a gallon jug of water. Rinse in the sink if ya want to. Then you can finish up by rinsing again in the shower later to make sure you got it all out.

Nymfora
July 22nd, 2012, 03:26 PM
Yup I'm wearing it in my hair right now. Under plastic then a fleece toque lol. I seriously am happy not to be going out today LOL. I have to shower later today anyways to wash my body so I just figured I could try and keep the SMT in on my hair until then. So far I don't find it uncomfy and my head is staying warm but I have a fan near to keep the rest of my body cool lol.

earthnut
July 22nd, 2012, 04:17 PM
How your hair responds to protein is associated with your hair width, porosity, and elasticity.

Fine and porous hair tends to like protein. If your hair stretches and doesn't return to its original length, it either needs protein or is over conditioned. Too much protein tends to make hair stiff and brittle, straw-like.

Coarse and non-porous hair tends to dislike protein. If your hair doesn't stretch much but breaks instead, your hair either has too much protein or is under conditioned. Over conditioned hair tends to be limp, flyaway and soft.

Hair elasticity and porosity will change as the hair protein / moisture balance changes.

From what I know about your hair, Nymfora, it probably doesn't need much protein.

Many foods can be used as protein treatments, however, the proteins that are usually in foods are too big to penetrate very well. Hydrolyzed proteins are smaller and more effective at penetrating and strengthening the hair. Here's a strong homemade protein treatment made from gelatin. (scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html)

However, the above are only guidelines. Individual heads of hair can react in unexpected ways. For instance, my hair reacts to gelatin as if it's been over conditioned. But it reacts "normally" to hydrolyzed wheat protein. So you may need to experiment a little to see what proteins your hair likes, which ones it doesn't, and how much it will handle.

Nymfora
July 22nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks earthnut and the OP's. When I pulled a shedded strand it did pull alittle but not much then broke, so I'm thinking it needs more moisture maybe. I'll probaby try a protein treatmeant soon but for now just going to see the results of this SMT.

dawnss
July 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
I always think this difficult to answer, especially if you only really manipulate (detangle or style) your hair while wet. So with that being said, when your hair feels too mushy or gummy it is time to protein up. Remember that your hair needs structure, and I do not think that protein is something to be afraid of (I am referring to many of us lol, we get so caught up in moisture that we forget about structure).

If you do not know if your hair needs protein, then start off with a light protein treatment: eggs, coconut milk (not oil, it does not have the protein in it), Nature's gate biotin conditioner (it took two consecutive uses before my hair became hard).

I hear that sally's joico k-pak and gvp redken anti snap are decent medium treatments (I have never used either of these products).

For hard protein its time to bring out the big guns: aphogee two step treatment, motions cpr, and etc.

Just remember that when experimenting with protein make sure that you have a really fantastic moisturizing conditioner to use! (I just want to say that if you ever decide to use the hard core treatments, please please please arm yourself with information). Many reviews I have read for these products are bad because people do not really understand what they need to do with hard protein treatments.

Nymfora
July 22nd, 2012, 06:07 PM
thanks dawnss, I think what I'll maybe do is try a light protein treatment in a week or two and see how my hair takes it. Trial and error lol. I use Dove Nutritive Therapy Nourishing Oil Care conditioner that my hair just loves, I do add some EO's and some of my other oils to it as well that have been doing wonders for my hair :)

Wildcat Diva
July 22nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
How your hair responds to protein is associated with your hair width, porosity, and elasticity.

Fine and porous hair tends to like protein. If your hair stretches and doesn't return to its original length, it either needs protein or is over conditioned. Too much protein tends to make hair stiff and brittle, straw-like.

Coarse and non-porous hair tends to dislike protein. If your hair doesn't stretch much but breaks instead, your hair either has too much protein or is under conditioned. Over conditioned hair tends to be limp, flyaway and soft.

Hair elasticity and porosity will change as the hair protein / moisture balance changes.

From what I know about your hair, Nymfora, it probably doesn't need much protein.

Many foods can be used as protein treatments, however, the proteins that are usually in foods are too big to penetrate very well. Hydrolyzed proteins are smaller and more effective at penetrating and strengthening the hair. Here's a strong homemade protein treatment made from gelatin. (http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html)

However, the above are only guidelines. Individual heads of hair can react in unexpected ways. For instance, my hair reacts to gelatin as if it's been over conditioned. But it reacts "normally" to hydrolyzed wheat protein. So you may need to experiment a little to see what proteins your hair likes, which ones it doesn't, and how much it will handle.
This post helped me understand a lot. Thanks earthnut.

Nymfora
July 22nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
Ok I think I hit a snag :( I just showered and rinsed it out and I have little white chunkies!!!! So I tried a CO wash and I still have them. What should I do, did I wreck my hair?? It doesn't feel bad or stringy though. I just don't know how to get rid of the little white chunkies :shrug::hmm::justy::wail:

dawnss
July 26th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Your welcome Nymfora, how has your hair been recently?

Nymfora
July 26th, 2012, 11:53 AM
My hair seems to need some moisture I believe since I did a strand test and it broke without any pull. And since today is hair wash day I was going to do a deep oil moisture treatment. I have evoo, coconut oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil and avocado oil also I have EO's of pepperrmint, lavender and rosemary. I was thinking of making a small mix of all of them and letting that soak in my hair and scalp for a bit. What do you think?

dawnss
July 26th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Yeah that sounds great! If your hair likes Aloe Vera Gel or Juice, I would really add that in there in addition. I also find, that when my hair is really parched doing a pre poo with aloe vera, washing, doing a deep condition with aloe vera, and then deep conditioning with a deep conditioner really helps my hair.