PDA

View Full Version : To trim or not to trim, that is the question.

AnthonyB93
July 22nd, 2012, 09:13 AM
I heard some people say to not trim your ends at all, while others say to get a trim every 6 months or so. Should I do this? I treat my hair with natural products and my hair's never dry and damaged, so is there a point?

rock007junkie
July 22nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
No, there's not. You should only trim if there's some damage or if you are trying to keep your hemline even. Otherwise is not really necessary.

Kaelee
July 22nd, 2012, 09:35 AM
Trim if and when you *need* to. (Damage, you don't like your hemline, etc.) Otherwise, don't.

I'm doing S&D now in an attempt to lengthen the time between needed trims, but I still plan to trim as needed.

spidermom
July 22nd, 2012, 09:51 AM
It's different for each person, so experiment and see what works for you.

I've tried it both ways and come to the conclusion that my hair is in much better condition if I get regular trims - about every 3 months. Otherwise damage travels fast. The last time I went a year without trimming, my hair grew 7 inches longer, but the ends had so many splits and other damage that they were like Velcro, and combing my hair was an unpleasant chore. I ended up having all 7 inches cut off just to be able to manage my hair.

By contrast, when I get trims every 3 months, my hair will grow about 5-1/2 inches longer in a year, and the ends are in good shape.

blondie9912
July 22nd, 2012, 10:59 AM
Don't trim unless your hemline is uneven or you have splits in your hair. If your hair is dry and crunchy, try a small trim of about half an inch with some clarifying and conditioning treatments.