PDA

View Full Version : Help! Question about DT routine

blaketob
July 22nd, 2012, 07:21 AM
Hey guys so I posted this question in a couple of places but since my DT are every Sunday I need the question anwsered lol

So I'm a little confused about the proper routine to do a DT. Right now I wet my hair, then put my concoction on my head (Some of my deep conditioner, some EVOO, and some honey) for 4+ hours or overnight covered in a shower cap. Then I do CWC.

So my question is do I have my routine backwards? Am I supposed to CWC and then do my DT and then just rinse it out? I'm concerned it will make my hair greasy if I don't shampoo after. Which routine am I supposed to do?

gratitudinous
July 22nd, 2012, 08:38 AM
Well, I always do my deep treatments on freshly washed hair, because I feel like I lose some of the effect if I use my shampoo after a DT. But if you have olive oil in yours, you might need to be washing it out to prevent a case of the oilies. I add oil to my DTs but it's a very small amount (7-8 drops).
If you have a day where you won't need to go out, you could experiment, and see what happens.

Othala
July 22nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
I think you have it backwards, as you suspect. IMO, you are washing away some of the benefits of the DT by CWC-ing afterwards =, However, if you were to CWC prior to the DT, it might prevent the effectiveness of the DT.

My DT routine is:

1. Clarify hair with suitable shampoo to create a "blank canvas"

2. Towel-dry hair to remove excess moisture from hair shaft and so that moisturising ingredients in the DT are better taken up

3. Heat the DT (I put the tub of DT in a bowl of hot water for 15 mins). My DT, like yours, consists of conditioner, glycerine (instead of honey, because I don't want any lightening but I do want the humectant properties) and an oil.

4. Apply the DT to my hair, cover with a thin plastic shower cap and then blow dry my head for 10 minutes to build up the heat and assist penetration of the ingredients.

5. Wrap my head in a fluffy towel to keep the heat in. Leave for desired time (1 hour for me), blow drying it every 10 minutes or so.

6. Rinse with cool water and finish with a detangling rinse. Air-dry.

Hope that helps.

blaketob
July 22nd, 2012, 09:11 AM
Yes thank you! I had a feeling but I wasn't sure

rock007junkie
July 22nd, 2012, 09:16 AM
You can do it however you want! Sometimes I do it after I wash but some other times I'm busy so I just either spritz my hair water or sometimes even on dry hair apply my DT and then I wash. It's up to you. Happy experimenting :-)

meteor
July 22nd, 2012, 09:24 AM
Based on my own experience, I agree with what others mentioned, i.e. DT post-CWC.
However, I hear lots of ladies talking about how Conditioner feels more effective on dry hair, and how it's sometimes beneficial to reverse the order of S&C...
Also, pre-shampoo oiling does great wonders (more effective than heavy conditioner post-shampoo in my case), so I really think it depends.
I say, experiment with both orders: DT pre-CWC and post-CWC. See what works better for your hair.

6. Rinse with cool water and finish with a detangling rinse.
Not to highjack a thread, but what is a "detangling rinse". Is it a citric rinse, ACV, tea, diluted conditioner...? I always have trouble detangling, so a detangling rinse sounds lovely. What do you use in it, Othala?

akilina
July 22nd, 2012, 11:39 AM
You could definitely do it however you want but I have learned lately that when I do a DT, then wash, it completely serves NO purpose. My hair just feels how it did before.
Maybe for your sunday DT day, you could start just plain washing your hair that day, then doing the DT, and rinsing well. And let it be till you wash next.

earthnut
July 22nd, 2012, 11:51 AM
Your method is fine.

I wet my hair, apply the DT, let it sit for however long, and then shampoo just enough to get rid of the excess oil. Then I might condition as usual, depending on how my hair feels.

I might shampoo before a DT, but I don't condition before the DT because that would block the DT from fully penetrating my hair.

Othala
July 22nd, 2012, 03:14 PM
I always have trouble detangling, so a detangling rinse sounds lovely. What do you use in it, Othala?

I use Kinky Curly Knot Today. It is the best de-tangler I have ever used. I just apply a tiny bit on wet hair and comb it through, then just squeeze out extra moisture. I don't rinse all the product out of my hair as it is a good moisturising leave-in too.