PDA

View Full Version : Donut rings: anyone use these successfully?

Celebrian
July 22nd, 2012, 06:16 AM
I bought one the other day in the largest size, and I can't seem to fix my hair round it properly (maybe a smaller donut would be better). The hair escapes and fans out, which is cute sometimes - just not all the time! Am I going to have to resort to a hairnet or what? I hate hairsprays etc.

whylime13
July 22nd, 2012, 07:05 AM
When I use a donut ring here is what I do:

Put the donut over a ponytail, fan the hair out over it in all directions at once and secure with a second hair elastic that ends up under the donut.

At my current length that leaves me with ends poking out every which way that are 3-6 inches long. Some times I leave them if I want a spiky look. Or I will use bobby pins to tuck all the ends in.

My problem is that I'm not very good with bobby pins and with the donut and two elastics in there they often work their way back out during the day. So I tie a ribbon around the whole thing which holds the pins in.

This method is the only way I've worked out to give myself a smooth - no messy strays bun. Surely there is a simpler way that does not involve a donut, 2 elastics, 6 bobby pins, and a ribbon. But I haven't figured it out yet.

palaeoqueen
July 22nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
I do the same as whylime13.

Celebrian
July 24th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Wore my doughnut thingie all night pretty successfully (so hot in England atm) and used a fine hair-net and a few pins to keep it in place. More-or-less stayed all night. Looked totally amazing volume-wise today, once released from the bun (but, jojo, my money is still on the straight 'spaniel' look, lol!).

Very pleased. Also, after being held up like that all night, it looked great just in the top ponytail once the hairnet released the ends of the hair. They were still in large curling-under feathers (if that makes sense).

brave
July 24th, 2012, 03:05 PM
When I wore those, I would put my hair in a high ponytail, fan that over the foam, and tuck my ends under.

Clytemnestra
July 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I like to use one for a 1960's updo - pulled through, secured with a few 2" amish pins, then wrapping a silk scarf or ribbon around to secure it tighter. I try to get the ones with the fake hair around to match mine, and if they are the spongier ones I usually put a soft sock around it so my hair doesn't catch.

Juanita
July 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I have a small one because I have thin hair. I put it in a pony, slide doughnut on ,fan hair over and secure with another pony elastic. Bring remaining hair together plait( braid) and wrap around doughnut and secure with a couple of spin pins

kdaniels8811
July 24th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I am wearing one right now. I ponytail my hair but do not put an elastic in, just pull it together to get the donut over it. Flip my head upside down while sitting, not sure why this works but it is the only way I can do it. Slide the donut 2/3 down the tail, split the hair sticking out in half and start wrapping it around the donut and start rolling the donut down, wrapping the hair around it. I pull up slightly to keep the hair smooth while I am wrapping down to my scalp. I do not need anything to hold this in place, it stays even when I am sleeping. There is a youtube video on how to do it which is how I learned. You can see how long my hair is in the avatar so there is not much there. I use a brown sock since my hair is brown and thin. Good luck!

1500 Posts!!

IndigoOptimist
July 24th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I either put my hair in a pony, put my hair through the ring, pull it to the base of the pony, then fan out the rest of the pony over the ring and wrap the ends around under it, securing with bobbi pins so you can'y see them ooor...... I do the wrap around method, starting with a pony, only thing time wrapping the hair around the ring starting with the ends (if that makes sense), so by the time you get to the base of the pony there's no left over ends ;)
I use a sock with the end cut off, rolled around itself, but the principle is the same ;)

luxepiggy
July 24th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Are you talking about the sockbun donut? My aunt uses one and secures hers in a very tidy fashion with a number of hairpins around the base (^(oo)^)v

Celebrian
July 31st, 2012, 10:27 AM
Yes, I succeeded! I am wearing one right now (donut thing) on top of my head, and have been complimented on the look. Lovely and cool, also looks really cute!

jojo
July 31st, 2012, 10:51 AM
Wore my doughnut thingie all night pretty successfully (so hot in England atm) and used a fine hair-net and a few pins to keep it in place. More-or-less stayed all night. Looked totally amazing volume-wise today, once released from the bun (but, jojo, my money is still on the straight 'spaniel' look, lol!).

Very pleased. Also, after being held up like that all night, it looked great just in the top ponytail once the hairnet released the ends of the hair. They were still in large curling-under feathers (if that makes sense).

Lol!!! Do a rolled one as high as you can get it on 80% dried hair over night woowza! Beautiful volume and curls, tip head and grab hair with a little AVG on hands and it will stay that way!
I prefer the rolled up way, than over the top, I have too much hair left over but it works that way you just get drunken curls though!

jojo
July 31st, 2012, 10:52 AM
Yes, I succeeded! I am wearing one right now (donut thing) on top of my head, and have been complimented on the look. Lovely and cool, also looks really cute!

Yay! I like big buns and I cannot lie.......:yumm:

Celebrian
August 1st, 2012, 08:10 AM
Lol!!! Do a rolled one as high as you can get it on 80% dried hair over night woowza! Beautiful volume and curls, tip head and grab hair with a little AVG on hands and it will stay that way!
I prefer the rolled up way, than over the top, I have too much hair left over but it works that way you just get drunken curls though!

Not clear what you mean by the 'rolled up' way? :confused:

Shiranshoku
August 1st, 2012, 08:22 AM
Not clear what you mean by the 'rolled up' way? :confused:

Using loepsie's sock bun method.

Normally, you put the doughnut at the base of your ponytail, fan it out, secure it and then tuck/braid the ends.

The rolled up way, you put the doughnut at the base, slide it towards the ends, tuck them inside and continue rolling them inside the sock, until you reach the base. You don't have any ends left, and it usually stays put without extra pins.

Celebrian
August 1st, 2012, 12:39 PM
Using loepsie's sock bun method.

Normally, you put the doughnut at the base of your ponytail, fan it out, secure it and then tuck/braid the ends.

The rolled up way, you put the doughnut at the base, slide it towards the ends, tuck them inside and continue rolling them inside the sock, until you reach the base. You don't have any ends left, and it usually stays put without extra pins.
Oh, I see. But my hair is layered... I'm not sure if that would work for me!

Boucles d'or
August 1st, 2012, 12:51 PM
I it as whylime13 too, it's a fast and classy look for work!

Shiranshoku
August 1st, 2012, 02:22 PM
Oh, I see. But my hair is layered... I'm not sure if that would work for me!

I find the first method, in combination with some oil, works best on layered hair. Aloe gel should help, too.

Earth Angel
August 1st, 2012, 02:43 PM
I finally managed to get one small enough for my very fine thin hair and I use the roll up method (seen on you tube) which works well as long as its freshly washed as them my hair will spread over it easier ;)

mzBANGBANG
August 1st, 2012, 04:50 PM
I do the elastic method, it is what I used in my current avatar. I actually do mine on wet hair with a fine toothed comb, which allows me to completely cover the donut. Once I have combed the wet hair over the donut entirely, I use an elastic the same color as my hair to secure it. Then, I either tuck the left over ends in with bobby pins, or I part the remaining hair into two sections, braid them, and bobby pin them around the bun, like in my picture.

Also, I use lots of hair spray. :)