PDA

View Full Version : What makes your hair grow at a slower speed and not as strong?

SurferB
July 21st, 2012, 08:01 PM
I know many of you talk about what makes your hair grow the strongest and maybe at an increased speed. Lets talk about what makes yoru hair grow at a reduced speed and condition to help newbies. Now, what makes my unique hair grow slow, may do the opposite for you. Keep in mind everyone may different.

What makes my hair grow slower is:
-Less vitamin D from my environment or diet. I need just the right amount of vitamin D3.
-Dying/flat ironing/blow drying my hair does the most damage.
-Brushing my hair when it's wet or using plastic brushs.
-Going on restrictive diets, such as vegan, doesn't work for me.
-Not taking my 3000mg omega 3 fatty acids daily

Dragon Faery
July 21st, 2012, 08:20 PM
Good idea! :)

I'm not sure about diet for me yet. But what restricts my growth due to damage is:
-not wearing my hair up 90% of the time
-using brushes and combs (I'm a curly)
-not sleeping on a satin pillowcase
-fingercombing without the aid of conditioner or oil

sunshine-locks
July 21st, 2012, 08:43 PM
I know that shampoo doesn't do my hair ANY good o.o everytime I use it, my hair sticks together in the shower and it feels utterly leeched of moisture/softness.

So that's a no-go for me, and so is using hairspray, (gunks up the hair and is hard to remove with conditioner) dyeing, blowdrying, using curling irons.... and going out in windy conditions with my hair down probably isn't good for growth either because of the time removing tangles!

So I avoid all that now, and my hair grows pretty well :)

Other than that, I don't think there's that much that slows my growth :)

Silverbrumby
July 21st, 2012, 08:43 PM
Thyroid disease

Low iron and vit D

Not enough protein

Stress, big one

Genetics

gonzobird
July 21st, 2012, 08:44 PM
Not drinking enough water!!!

less than 8 hours sleep.

Not taking my vitamins and getting enough vit d3.

arcane
July 21st, 2012, 09:00 PM
For me: Stress. I causes my hair to shed, and when I'm really stressed out I make random decisions to cut/dye my hair.

I've never be defient in anything when I've had my levels checked but my hair seems to grow faster when I regulrily take some vitamin D and iron supplements (my doctor reconmended both because of fatigue I experience even though my levels are technicly fine).

Tia2010
July 21st, 2012, 09:04 PM
My hair is in a stall right now so lets see...

I have more stress right now.
I haven't been eating well, usually just one meal a day...work is crazy and stressful right now..so I dont eat till I get home.
I have only been sleeping a few hours a night ( stress and my job again)

So I'm guessing all that is contributing to my stall..or maybe not. I don't know. :shrug:

but I am starting to wonder if I need a new job :p (I could just see my next job interview now....."why did you leave your last job?"..."So my hair would grow of course!" LOL)

SurferB
July 21st, 2012, 09:12 PM
Interesting! I didn't know satin pillow cases really made a difference! What does this do for the hair?

Tia2010
July 21st, 2012, 11:18 PM
Interesting! I didn't know satin pillow cases really made a difference! What does this do for the hair?

They let your hair slide easily around the pillow and that helps reduce tangles and breakage. I love mine. :)

Vanille_
July 21st, 2012, 11:21 PM
I think how I lay on the couch causes damage. I watch a lot of tv and the couch probably rubs against my hair and causes damage,

akilina
July 21st, 2012, 11:32 PM
Wow interesting thread!
I am taking mental note. I am in a horrible stall so I guess I need to actually be diligent about taking my vitamins, and I need to drink more water and get more exercise.

Silverbrumby
July 22nd, 2012, 12:04 AM
Constant fiddling with my hair.

Diamond.Eyes
July 22nd, 2012, 12:32 AM
Not getting enough sleep, not drinking enough water, heat styling, chemical hair dye, skipping mulivitamin intake, ripping brushes through hair...the list goes on. :flower:

SurferB
July 22nd, 2012, 09:43 AM
Oiii I notice when I'm more active, my hair grows much faster and stronger, no joke. It's not even worth dying my roots anymore. I may just grow out my natural color.

jacqueline101
July 22nd, 2012, 09:51 AM
I would say the above reasons. Stress, lack of sleep, lacking vitamins, poor health, poor diet, smoking, bad hair care routine.

velvetvenus
July 22nd, 2012, 10:31 AM
I would say using plastic combs, heat, crash dieting...

Tota
July 22nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
- Not excercising.
- Lack of vitamins.
- Not enough drinking water.
- Wearing it down too often.
- Too much brushing and messing with my hair.
- I don't know if this counts but I recently realized that my glasses are constantly pulling the hair around my face out. I ordered new ones so I hope this will get sorted soon.

blondie9912
July 22nd, 2012, 10:53 AM
Not enough sleep and exercise is huge for me!

Dragon Faery
July 22nd, 2012, 12:39 PM

They let your hair slide easily around the pillow and that helps reduce tangles and breakage. I love mine. :)

I think how I lay on the couch causes damage. I watch a lot of tv and the couch probably rubs against my hair and causes damage,

This. :) the entire canopy of my hair used to constantly break off. S&D wasn't helping enough; everything was geting shorter and shorter and feeling ickier and ickier. Brushes and shampoos and wearing it down all made it worse, but the initial culprit was anything I leaned my head against that caused friction with my hair. That's why the satin pillowcase helps so much.
I haven't found a solution for the couch and car yet, other than wearing my hair up and being careful not to let it rub on things, but maybe wrapping my head in a silk scarf first? If anyone has any suggestions I'd be interested to hear them.
And another thing I do when I wear braids is to wrap the end of the braid with a bit of satin ribbon before I put on the elastic. I don't see nearly as many splits on my fragile hemline now. :). (Thanks to Spidermom for posting this suggestion in some other thread quite a while ago!)

And I guess I could add that I'm pretty sure stress, poor diet, and lack of vitamins slow or stop my growth. But I've not figured out the ideal diet and vitamin routine for me yet. And I'm sure exercise would help me as well, but my health currently won't allow it much, if at all. So if/when that changes maybe I can update here. :)