PDA

View Full Version : Hair Color Problem

AutumnJasmine
July 21st, 2012, 07:05 PM
I used the Garnier HerbaShine in shade 5.0 on my light brown/blonde hair. I was just wanting to cover the few greys I have. It is supposed to be a semi permanent hair color. It turned my last 2-3 inches almost black. I did this almost a month ago and the ends are still dark.

I have tried stripping the hair with clarifying shampoo. I have done 2 honey treatments, and I have used the go blonder shampoo. All that did was lighten the rest of my hair, while leaving the ends dark.

Any advice?

tinfoilsally
July 21st, 2012, 07:48 PM
Have you tried Colour B4/Colour Oops? Also, do you blowdry and straighten your hair while using siliconey products? Because I've heard that the silicone can melt when you straighten and fuse the colour molecules into the hair, and at that point the only thing you can do is cut it off :(
Good luck!

AutumnJasmine
July 21st, 2012, 09:09 PM
Yes I do straighten it and I use a heat protectant before (with silicones). I never knew that. I thought I was playing it safe using a semi permanent. Oh well. Thank you for the information.

akilina
July 21st, 2012, 09:43 PM
Good reason why I refuse to use/look down upon box dyes :( Im sorry. This may also be a result of past hair dying you have done. There might be something that the dye did not like all the way down there. Last I heard a while ago in school that this dye is a metallic dye. Not sure anymore though. Sometimes metallic dyes react horribly to other chemical treatments. A level 5 is only 3 shades lighter than black. If you left it on too long I could see it definitely turning very very dark.
Another thing....Semi permanent dye is not for greys. Permanent dye is. But maybe it served the small purpose of just slightly blending them. Tinfoilsally may be right too, about the silicone fusing. Not exactly positive there though. Generally though it is the ends that are lighter when they are damaged. The porousness keeps the color from actually really staying. :S wish I had something better to say...
Maybe if you get all the darkness out, next time you should match a color to the rest of your hair and do your roots only.

AutumnJasmine
July 21st, 2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks akilina. I just spent the last year growing out my natural color. I didn't realize I had grey hair because I had been coloring it for so long. There was very little grey but I felt too young for it. Silly I know. I should just embrace it.

akilina
July 21st, 2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks akilina. I just spent the last year growing out my natural color. I didn't realize I had grey hair because I had been coloring it for so long. There was very little grey but I felt too young for it. Silly I know. I should just embrace it.
Ahh I can't wait to go grey :D seriously. Grey hair is really pretty

tinfoilsally
July 21st, 2012, 09:57 PM
I just thought, maybe you could try a vitamin c treatment to lighten the colour? I've heard that can work really well for some- it's a lot cheaper than 'normal' methods, and a lot quicker than honey lightening from what I gather. There are plenty of instructions on that if you do a quick search for 'vitamin c remove hair dye' or somesuch.
I know how you feel though, this has happened to me so many times. I'm always being told by hairdressers to put the dye in my roots and only comb it down through the ends in the last five minutes of development, but it's such a pain and I always end up just putting it on as normal :eyeroll:
Oh well, hope you manage to find a solution, and keep us updated! We love a good before/after story here!

AutumnJasmine
July 21st, 2012, 10:05 PM
tinfoilsally, Thank you for your kind words. Someone in the honey lightening thread mentioned trying the vitamin C treatment. I will give it a go and let you know how that turns out.

AutumnJasmine
July 26th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I just wanted to give you guys an update. I tried the Go Blonder with the Vitamin C but it still didn't help. Today I got some color oops and it worked perfectly. My hair is its original color! Yay! Surprisingly my hair is super soft, but I am going to baby my hair after all of this.

AutumnJasmine
July 26th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Have you tried Colour B4/Colour Oops? Also, do you blowdry and straighten your hair while using siliconey products? Because I've heard that the silicone can melt when you straighten and fuse the colour molecules into the hair, and at that point the only thing you can do is cut it off :(
Good luck!

Thank you Tinfoilsally and everyone else! :cheese:

Seeshami
July 26th, 2012, 11:53 PM
It did the same thing to me in a stripe. I still haven't gotten it out. :confused: