PDA

View Full Version : The destination...or the journey?

prettykitty
July 21st, 2012, 06:38 PM
I just cut three inches off my hair.
But I don't mind at all. It's hair, it grows. It will always grow, and I will probably always cut :p
But it got me thinking...sometimes I sort of wish that I'd never reach a determined goal length, because I so enjoy growing my hair. So often I see threads with people who've reached their goals only to discover they don't like their hair as much as they thought they would, or that the length means they can't enjoy their hair as much. Or people who grow and cut back, grow and cut back, and so on. We change our goals, so often they become longer as our hair does, so that our goal is always just beyond our reach. So I was wondering, is growing your hair really about reaching a certain length, or is it more about the journey?

Madora
July 21st, 2012, 06:42 PM
For me, it was the length. I always wanted hair 4 feet long and I've finally achieved that. But I'm going to continue growing and see how long I can grow, provided I can care for it properly and still style it in braids.

BrownEyedBeauty
July 21st, 2012, 07:16 PM
With me, it was about the destination. I wish it was more about the journey and I tried to remind myself many times that I should enjoy the journey and not just the final result, but I became too obsessed with measuring the length for that to happen.

gratitudinous
July 21st, 2012, 07:38 PM
I recently cut three inches as well, and I have a very similar mentality, OP. Until I reached BSL in late summer of last year, my mindset was all about getting to a certain length... but now that my hair feels 'long' to me, it doesn't seem to be as important. I have at least 4 years until I reach my ultimate goal, so in order to not go crazy, I kind of HAVE to enjoy the journey! :laugh:

jeanniet
July 21st, 2012, 08:27 PM
I think both. Although I've reached (and passed) my original goal of waist, I'm enjoying the journey so much I've adjusted my goal several times. All good things must come to an end, however, so when I reach classic I don't think I'll go any further, and then the journey will become something else--learning new updos, better care, etc. I don't have the mad impatience to reach a particular length or for my hair to grow fast. It's enough to know that it grows at all! :D

cwarren
July 21st, 2012, 09:13 PM
Both. I like trying to find what will make my hair more manageable and trying out different hair care techniques. I can't wait to get to my destination because that would open up more style possibilities. I wouldn't mind if the speed of my journey picked up a little :)

Winnie!
July 21st, 2012, 09:20 PM
I have to admit that I think it is more about the journey than the destination. If I could just up one day and be there it wouldn't be nearly as much fun. Even though there are bumps and rough places the journey is always happening and is quite enjoyable.

spidermom
July 21st, 2012, 09:34 PM
It's both for me, too. I enjoy the journey and have cut back a couple of times because I wasn't ready to let go of my current length. Mostly I cut back because of split ends making me fight with my hair instead of enjoy it. I really hope I can break the classic length barrier one of these days!

akilina
July 21st, 2012, 09:53 PM
For me it is just a horribly long painful annoying destination that I feel I will never ever reach... I would be happy if I could ever even hit BSL.
I joined here 3 years ago and had been on and off. It seems in all the two times I did not go on this site for a long period of time, I did horrible, horrible things to my hair.
If I would have just stayed on here I would not have done nasty things to my hair and would probably have nice hair at this point. :/
I am trying again. It seems everything for me is just chopping, and trying, then my hair gets really crappy, and I chop again.

arcane
July 21st, 2012, 10:02 PM
I don't enjoy the journey. Then again I typically don't enjoy the journey for anything.

I'm typically never that upset about having to cut hair as hair grows, but I still would like to be where I want to be as that is astheticly where I want to be. I don't want to have the length of hair I have now, I don't like how it looks. I do like it once it gets past BSL, so after there it might be more about a journey, but right now I hate the journey.

stew
July 21st, 2012, 10:04 PM
DEFINITELY the destination. If I had three wishes from a genie, one of them would be instant healthy waist-length hair..

Tia2010
July 21st, 2012, 10:38 PM
A little of both...but mostly the destination :)

I want to enjoy the journey but I honestly just CAN'T WAIT till I hit hip! Maybe after I reach hip I will enjoy the destination onto tailbone more because I will already feel like a longhair ( maybe not long by LHC standards ;) but for me)

earthnut
July 21st, 2012, 10:52 PM
For me, the destination is not about the length at all, though I'm mostly letting it grow. For me, it's about attaining very healthy hair. So as far as health, it's about the destination, but as far as length it's more about the journey. :D

sun-kissed
July 21st, 2012, 11:36 PM
For me it's certainly about the journey. When I first joined TLHC I had a goal of classic length hair and I wanted it THE NEXT MONTH. Nowdays I have no goal what-so-ever, except for longer. My goal is the journey. I enjoy the gain in length, the gain in health, and even the loss of length for fresher ends. I will let it grow until I decide to stop, or until it decides to do so. That's what keeps me happy.

prettykitty
July 21st, 2012, 11:51 PM
You guys have such interesting viewpoints! I think I'm definitely a 'journey-er'- for the longest time I was dying for waist-length hair, and now I've cut back to just below BSL. I think earthnut hit the nail on the head for me-healthy, beautiful hair is the ultimate goal for me :)

Sarahlabyrinth
July 22nd, 2012, 01:53 AM
For me it's
1. Knowing that my hair is happy and healthy.
2. Enjoying the journey and learning more different updo's.
3. Reaching the destination. (which may change once I get there, lol.)

Quahatundightu
July 22nd, 2012, 01:54 AM
Mostly destination :P I am horribly impatient to sit through the journey! Now I am basically at my destination (TB length) I am starting to relax more and enjoy the journey. I would still like my hair to grow slightly longer so it is TB when curly, and of course get plenty thicker, but now I have reached my major goal it feels easier to wait for that to happen. Afterall I've wanted hair this long since I was 5 years old! That ended up being 20 years of longing for me. The only thing I really wanted from my hair was to reach that goal :)

pepperminttea
July 22nd, 2012, 02:20 AM
Kinda both. Up until hip it was about the destination, but lately the journey's been just as interesting. :)

blondie9912
July 22nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
I think both, but I will definitely enjoy the destination. I really enjoy taking my monthly photos and comparing my length to the previous month's. On the other hand, I can't wait til I get to waist and have beautiful hair!! :D

millyaulait
July 22nd, 2012, 11:36 AM
Mostly destination.

I enjoy seeing my hair improve in condition, buuuuuuuut....

I just can't WAIT to be waist length! :D

jacqueline101
July 22nd, 2012, 11:52 AM
I like the journey its like thrill of the hunt. I do enjoy hitting mini milestones along my destination. My destination is tail bone.

Dragon Faery
July 22nd, 2012, 01:04 PM
When I was APL-ish with icky hair, it was all about the destination: more length, and better health! Once it hit BSL, and my hair was in better condition, it became 75% about the destination and 25% about the journey. Now, nearing waist and with health still improving, it's close to 50/50. The longer and healthier it gets, and the more layers I manage to grow out, the more it becomes about the journey. The thing I dread the most is when I finally reach terminal and find the journey over. I'll have to find a new journey then. But I have years to think about it, I hope. :)

IvanaGil
July 22nd, 2012, 01:09 PM
Definitely the destination. I have zero patience, so the journey is killing me! :p

jojo
July 22nd, 2012, 01:26 PM
It used to be more the destination but Nowadays I'm enjoying the journey!

IndigoOptimist
July 22nd, 2012, 01:26 PM
For me, it's all about the journey. I'd like to think that I will get to a certain length one day and maintain it, but I know I won't. I've been 'growing' my hair for 7 years, ever since I friend had the first proper cut in my life. Since then I've cut it back so many times because I've been bored, or because of damage. Even though this time I know I won't cut back as quickly, I know that I will cut at some point.
If I reached my goal I don't think I'd know what to do. I wouldn't keep it at that length that's for sure, so it would grow ever longer. My goal is just a rough idea of where I'd like to be when I cut my hair short again. Having said that though, I'm no where near my goal right now so I may feel differently when I get there ;)

Kwantslonghair
July 23rd, 2012, 05:29 AM
I am enjoying the journey to my destination. Just like when we take a road trip, I can't wait to get there, but there is a lot of amazing things to see on the way. Or like the glass half empty/full...my hair is not waist length yet but on the positive side it's not above chin length like it was a year and a half ago. I have about 4 inches to go waist.

FrannyG
July 23rd, 2012, 05:44 AM
I love the journey. I have tended to cut and grow too, for various reasons since joining, but I do have goals. However, reaching the goals is never quite what I expect it to be. It may turn out that I might yet again delay my destination. Who knows?

The things that I love the most about my time here at LHC are learning to appreciate my fine, straight hair, and learning how to keep it as healthy as possible. For me, it's not about whoever's longest is the winner.

Mesmerise
July 23rd, 2012, 06:31 AM
Definitely the destination. I have zero patience, so the journey is killing me! :p

Yeah this :D. It's taken me literally decades to get the length I want (yes, MY FAULT ENTIRELY I must add!!), so I really, really, really wanna get there!! NOW. Hehe. Gosh I even regret cutting my stringy ends off a year ago :rolleyes: I'd have my goal length by now... stringy ends and all :(. Then I could just maintain it ;). I know it will take the same amount of time to get my overall goal hair... but meh... I still kinda wish I hadn't taken all those inches off last year (a good 9"!!!)

Lady Neeva
July 23rd, 2012, 07:48 AM
I've passed my goal of waist, and is currently savoring the journey into the unknown.

MissAlida
July 23rd, 2012, 07:54 AM
I want to reach my goal, but can't. I just grow for 3-4 months, then realise that my ends look awful, thin and unruly, and then I cut.:rolleyes: But I'm always happier after. I hope to reach MBL some day, but I would like to enjoy my hair, rather then to grow long hair I don't find pretty. So I guess it's more about the journey for me.

AdaClare
July 23rd, 2012, 08:47 AM
For me, both. :) I'm looking forward to finally getting to Classic, but I'm enjoying taking care of it along the way.

joflakes
July 23rd, 2012, 09:28 AM
Hmm, a bit of both but 75% destination for me! When I joined I had a pixie, and wanted to get to a bob. I have that now and I want to get to BSL. :D

I've never had hair longer than just a bit past my shoulders, so it's gonna be cool to learn all sorts of fun hair styles on the way.