PDA

View Full Version : Can BBB cause white dots?

Pinkster8
July 21st, 2012, 05:15 PM
I wish I could go back in time before I bought my BBB and punch myself in the face :o

I bought a BBB at Walmart (it is a Wav Enforcer brand one) about a week and a half ago because I hadn't used a brush on my hair since November, just a wide-toothed comb. I figured it would be nice for non-wash days to pull oils from my roots to my ends. I tried it out, loved it, until 4 days ago, when I was looking at my ends and noticed I suddenly had a significantly larger number of white dots. I thought maybe I just needed a good S&D, so I did, using my good shears, and continued brushing 1-2x daily.

Yesterday, I looked at my hair and the ends looked almost as bad as pre-LHC state! Crazy amount of white dots and splits - my hair definitely wasn't this bad before the BBB came into my life. I S&D'ed like a maniac yesterday, just to wake up this morning and find more new damage! :mad:

Could it be my hair has enough previous damage that the BBB is too harsh on it? I brushed gently, with a tiny bit of oil, but maybe my hair is just too brittle from years of heat.

Thanks in advance! :)

heidi w.
July 21st, 2012, 05:18 PM
BBB's are simply not known to cause white dots. White dots are most often incurred when one flat irons, or similar heat-related activities...so I'm guessing it's former damage you've just been able to actually see.

I'm fairly certain it's not your BBB; but given that you may have overly damaged hair, you might consider holding off from using your BBB until your hair improves, although I would recommend to keep oiling your hair length, ONLY.

heidi w.

lapushka
July 21st, 2012, 05:19 PM
Could it be my hair has enough previous damage that the BBB is too harsh on it? I brushed gently, with a tiny bit of oil, but maybe my hair is just too brittle from years of heat.

I think it's the heat rather than your BBB. Maybe you just now noticed the damage.

skyblue
July 21st, 2012, 05:28 PM
If you have fine hair and your brush is on the stiff side, I'd say yes it can cause this, It happened to me, all unknowing, I started to notice my hair breaking and that in turn created the white dots and splits, and is one of the reasons my ends are so thin right now, so either find a softer bristle brush or just be very very gentle when brushing, also it helps if you comb out your tangles first with a wide tooth comb

Kaelee
July 21st, 2012, 05:28 PM
Are you sure it's real boar bristle? Nylon ones can cause damage.

Madora
July 21st, 2012, 05:36 PM
BBBs never gave me white dots, and I've been using them since 1960.

If you're using any heat appliances, then for the sake of your hair, put them in the drawer.

It could be that your hair needs moisture, plus a good trim of the ends.

Mineral oil helps keep moisture in your hair longer. Here is an article by Ktani that explains the process:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

To get the best results from mineral oil (aka baby oil), clarify your hair first with a clarifying shampoo (Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying shampoo has received good reviews here).

Gently press a towel down your wet hair to remove as much excess water as possible.

Apply 3 or 4 drops of mineral oil into a small dish, then use a Q-tip (cotton baby swab) and dip it in the oil, then apply the oily q-tip all over your palms and fingers. Then run your hands through your damp hair until the sheen is almost gone.

MO leaves your hair soft and shiny, and is a great detangler as well.

MO works best if it has ONLY the MO and a fragrance. Johnson and Johnson makes a baby oil that fills the bill.

For best results, only use a few drops...not more than 3. Mineral oil is very lightweight and doesn't weigh your hair down. No MO after scent either.

And when you brush, be sure you always detangle with a wide tooth comb first!

Good luck!

Pinkster8
July 21st, 2012, 05:39 PM
heidi w, I figured it was probably just old damage showing through like you said. I'll probably avoid my brush for a good while until more damage has been trimmed off.

lapushka, I don't know if I misunderstood your reply but I wasn't too clear in my OP, I have been heat free since November and I did have some damage, but it wasn't as noticeable as now.

skyblue, I think my hair is normal thickness, but maybe it's fine. I guess I'm not positive :o I've been detangling with my wide tooth comb first but maybe my hair is just fine in texture... The bristles are moderately stiff - not stiff enough to really penetrate through the hair but not overly pliable either.

Kaelee, the package said 100% boar bristle and looking at it, I don't see any plastic bristles but I'm sure it's possible there could be some in there.

Thanks a bunch for the replies! I'm so bummed out, before the brush I could, for the first time, go in sunlight and not have tons of damage showing on my hair. Oh well... back to my comb I guess :)

Pinkster8
July 21st, 2012, 05:42 PM
madora, thanks for the reply! I'm not using heat, and I've been getting trims every 3-4 weeks for a few months now and will be going in again soon, I'll make sure to get a good trim. I've been using mineral oil a little bit, but I will have to try Ktani's method. Thanks!

lapushka
July 21st, 2012, 06:38 PM
lapushka, I don't know if I misunderstood your reply but I wasn't too clear in my OP, I have been heat free since November and I did have some damage, but it wasn't as noticeable as now.

Back when I used to use heat, the white dots took 2 and a half years to grow out (I never snipped them). The fact that you haven't used heat since November doesn't mean that the damage is gone completely. Hair takes a *long* time to grow. Heat damage takes a long time to grow out.

Pinkster8
July 21st, 2012, 07:30 PM
Back when I used to use heat, the white dots took 2 and a half years to grow out (I never snipped them). The fact that you haven't used heat since November doesn't mean that the damage is gone completely. Hair takes a *long* time to grow. Heat damage takes a long time to grow out.

Indeed it does! :) especially with as slowly as my hair grows! I have to keep telling myself, "eventually it will be gone." :p