PDA

View Full Version : Hair can only be put up when it's wet?

Kaelee
July 21st, 2012, 10:22 AM
Does anyone else have this problem? I can get an updo to hold just fine when my hair is wet (not damp. Wet.) but if it's dry, I can't put it up. I can't even make a twist to start a cinnabun! (I can hold it with a clip but that's it. And I don't like using clips because they snag hairs.)

I'm trying to put my sticks in at the moment and it's just. Not. Working.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm afraid to wear updos to work because if they should need redone, I won't be able to get them to hold again. :(

sharonluvscats
July 21st, 2012, 10:25 AM
I always style my hair when it is wet. My hair is too fine and it just slides out of my fingers otherwise. The layers make it even worse because pieces pop out of my braid. It is usually worse on wash days so that is when I wear it down.

Kaelee
July 21st, 2012, 10:29 AM
I always style my hair when it is wet. My hair is too fine and it just slides out of my fingers otherwise. The layers make it even worse because pieces pop out of my braid. It is usually worse on wash days so that is when I wear it down.

That is my problem exactly! My hair just slides right out of my fingers. I actually pulled something in my wrist attempting to put it up! lol.

Maybe I should get a spray bottle filled with water and use it whenever I put my hair up. :D

Chromis
July 21st, 2012, 10:30 AM
I'd give different updos a go. Your hair should behave better in a couple of inches . You might also have better luck with forks or Amish pins.

I'm guessing you likely have Nordstroms in Philly, so I would also hit them up for a Ficcare. Awesome clips. They work for me even when my hair is being super slidey (and when it was shorter too)

sharonluvscats
July 21st, 2012, 10:33 AM
That is my problem exactly! My hair just slides right out of my fingers. I actually pulled something in my wrist attempting to put it up! lol.

Maybe I should get a spray bottle filled with water and use it whenever I put my hair up. :D

We are pretty much hair twins so I guess it makes sense we both have this problem. I use a spray bottle too sometimes. If I don't get to my hair quick enough and my hair is too dry to style. It's a life saver.

vanillabones
July 21st, 2012, 10:34 AM
Yes I have this problem, some of the updos I'd do as a super shortie slide out now that I'm closing in on APL unless my hair is wet hmmm... I just use a different clip or chose a different updo. A bun with a satin scrunchie has been my favorite right now... especially for work/sleep.

Kaelee
July 21st, 2012, 10:40 AM
I'd give different updos a go. Your hair should behave better in a couple of inches . You might also have better luck with forks or Amish pins.

I'm guessing you likely have Nordstroms in Philly, so I would also hit them up for a Ficcare. Awesome clips. They work for me even when my hair is being super slidey (and when it was shorter too)

I have a fork and a ficarre both on the way (but neither is here yet.) Nordstroms only sells the ugly plastic covered Ficcares. :( I wish they had the jewel ones etc.

I can't even get a claw clip to really hold my hair unless I put it in a ponytail first. The things just slide out. I was never able to actually do a peacock twist with anything (without ponytailing first.)

My hair so far has spit out scrunchies and laughed. :rolleyes:

Chromis
July 21st, 2012, 11:07 AM
Awww boo! They usually have the plain metal ones too. I don't like the plastic covered ones either, the enamelled ones have more flex and hold better. They only occasionally will get the fancier ones right when they get released. I got my lotus ones that way. It's worth keeping and ear out when that occurs though since even if the colours they have turn out not to work well for me, they are pretty coveted on the swap boards.

Kaelee
July 21st, 2012, 12:21 PM
Awww boo! They usually have the plain metal ones too. I don't like the plastic covered ones either, the enamelled ones have more flex and hold better. They only occasionally will get the fancier ones right when they get released. I got my lotus ones that way. It's worth keeping and ear out when that occurs though since even if the colours they have turn out not to work well for me, they are pretty coveted on the swap boards.

I'm not sure how I would hear about it, I rarely go to the mall period, let alone the fancier one that would have them (my local mall doesn't even have M.A.C.!)

MissManda
July 21st, 2012, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I have this problem. It's probably one of the more effective ways to restrain my Houdini hair. Water seems to give my hair more grippiness, so I'm a big fan of a spray bottle as opposed to using oils and butters by themselves.

FrannyG
July 21st, 2012, 04:28 PM
I had a similar problem at your length. Your Ficcare will certainly be a help. I too have slippery hair, but with the right hair accessories, I get good hold. Also, you might find that your hair holds once you gain another inch or two. It's amazing how one simple inch can change the way you can do updos.

Vanilla
July 21st, 2012, 04:29 PM
I use a little of nightblooming's panacea in my hair as a leave in to help keep my hair up. It provides enough texture so that my hair doesn't spit out sticks and forks.

Any texturizing leave in would work too.