PDA

View Full Version : Boob job family/HL hair.

CurlyCurves
July 21st, 2012, 05:00 AM
Well, I read this article yesterday and got a lovely surprise at the bottom! (last photo)

The little sister looks gorgeous. Lovely and natural :D Must be about hip length?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2175889/We-like-fake-look-Boob-job-family-defend-multiple-breast-enlargement-ops-This-Morning--say-theyre-going-boost-bottoms-next.html

ravenheather
July 21st, 2012, 06:44 AM
Wow that is gorgeous hair!

Yame
July 21st, 2012, 06:46 AM
It's not nice to compare, but in this case because the "boob jobees" brought it upon themselves (the ridiculous hair dying and straightening, the fake orange tans, the ridiculous breast implants), I think it's perfectly fair to say:

The girl in the middle looks much better than all the others. I hope she will keep up that attitude and live a more fulfilling, less superficial life than that of the rest of the women in her family.

LadyLongLocks
July 21st, 2012, 06:51 AM
Pretty long hair but I suspect it might not be real. The texture is different from top to bottom isn't it? Glad she isn't going to the surgery.

auburntressed
July 21st, 2012, 06:54 AM
What a terrible example when the baby of the family has a better head on her shoulders than her mother and older sisters. It sounds like she is the only one who has plans for her life that involve anything other than catering to her appearance constantly.

But, ya know, Daily Fail. Who knows how true any of it is?

juicy-glitter
July 21st, 2012, 07:01 AM
The different texture could just be dammage, who knows. It looks natural to me. She look slovely though. I would agree that she looks much better and later on in life, she will age much better.

bluegrass
July 21st, 2012, 07:05 AM
I read that article as well. What a lovely, independent young woman! I, too, hope that she keeps a good head on her shoulders - both literally and figuratively! ;)

jacqueline101
July 21st, 2012, 07:18 AM
I agree its pretty hair. She does seem to have her head on her shoulders and I hope she stays that way.

shutterpillar
July 21st, 2012, 07:23 AM
I have no problem with breast enhancement or reductions - a lot of people need them in order to boost self esteem and feel better about their bodies. Same goes for things like nose jobs. It is when it gets to the point of becoming an addiction (plastic surgery in general) that it begins to get sad and look sad as well. I think that may be the case with the oldest daughter. Why not just do the squats to get the butt you want instead of putting yourself at risk by going under the knife again? She would be healthier in the long run, and it would look more natural. Though I guess "fake" is the look these women like.

Except for the daughter... and I applaud her AND her long hair (assuming it is real). She seems like she has a goal for her life.

Loviatar
July 21st, 2012, 07:33 AM
She is very pretty and has lovely wave patterns - I was shocked to read she is only 14 though. She looks around 25.

Hollyfire3
July 21st, 2012, 08:18 AM
I have no problem with breast enhancement or reductions - a lot of people need them in order to boost self esteem and feel better about their bodies. Same goes for things like nose jobs. It is when it gets to the point of becoming an addiction (plastic surgery in general) that it begins to get sad and look sad as well. I think that may be the case with the oldest daughter. Why not just do the squats to get the butt you want instead of putting yourself at risk by going under the knife again? She would be healthier in the long run, and it would look more natural. Though I guess "fake" is the look these women like.

Except for the daughter... and I applaud her AND her long hair (assuming it is real). She seems like she has a goal for her life.

I truthfully don't think anyone "needs" plastic surgery for their self esteem, some do it because they want to, but no matter how low someone's self esteem appears to be, plastic surgery is not "needed" it will not fix the internal conflict in the person for good. I think if people want to do this sort of thing, they should do as they wish, but no one needs to, I think everyone is naturally beautiful in their own way. Oh and the 14 year old's hair is beautiful, also, I applaud her from going against her family's practices, may she go far in life.

Yame
July 21st, 2012, 08:37 AM
I truthfully don't think anyone "needs" plastic surgery for their self esteem, some do it because they want to, but no matter how low someone's self esteem appears to be, plastic surgery is not "needed" it will not fix the internal conflict in the person for good. I think if people want to do this sort of thing, they should do as they wish, but no one needs to, I think everyone is naturally beautiful in their own way.

Agreed 100%. Nobody NEEDS surgery to boost self-esteem. What people need is a society that accepts our aesthetic differences, and loved ones who love them the way they are and care about their health and well-being.

What society does or doesn't do is beyond our control, but we can control the people we surround ourselves with and the amount of media we watch so we are not constantly taking in these ridiculous messages about how we should or shouldn't look.

It really bothers me that breast implants are starting to be considered a legitimate choice to be made in order to resolve people's self-esteem and psychological issues. It's already bad enough that plastic surgery in general is becoming so commonplace, however breast implants in particular are a very extreme and brutal form of surgery.

They are nothing like a nose job or liposuction, which you get and recover from, and then it's done (provided you do not get an infection, a bad surgery, or suffer from any of the countless complications that are always a risk whenever you undergo ANY form of surgery). Breast implants involve inserting a foreign substance into your body which can rupture, leak, or even rot inside of you. The risks of complications go beyond the initial surgery and remain the entire time you have the implants inside.

Not only that, but even if you do NOT have any sort of complication from the implants, you will still need to have them replaced in 7-15 years, so you have to keep re-doing the surgery for the rest of your life.

sarelis
July 21st, 2012, 08:46 AM
Sorry, but in that bottom photo the Mum & eldest daughter just look scary shudder:, the youngest girl is beautiful & has lovely hair. TBH the others all have very pretty faces, but they look so 'over done', it's nasty :(

pepperminttea
July 21st, 2012, 08:53 AM
She is very pretty and has lovely wave patterns - I was shocked to read she is only 14 though. She looks around 25.

I was surprised too, I think it's the make-up. Still, if I was a straight guy I knew who I'd want on my arm. ;)

holothuroidea
July 21st, 2012, 08:59 AM
I'm just going to file this under "daily fail" and move on because if I took it to heart I'd be too upset.

MonaMayfair
July 21st, 2012, 09:13 AM
I watched a documentary about this family a little while ago. It's not even an issue yet, she couldn't have implants for a few years even if she wanted to.
That photo shows her hair in a rather flattering light incidentally, it's very bleached looking like the rest of her family. Maybe she put a toner on it?

brave
July 21st, 2012, 09:47 AM
Agreed 100%. Nobody NEEDS surgery to boost self-esteem. What people need is a society that accepts our aesthetic differences, and loved ones who love them the way they are and care about their health and well-being.

What society does or doesn't do is beyond our control, but we can control the people we surround ourselves with and the amount of media we watch so we are not constantly taking in these ridiculous messages about how we should or shouldn't look.

It really bothers me that breast implants are starting to be considered a legitimate choice to be made in order to resolve people's self-esteem and psychological issues. It's already bad enough that plastic surgery in general is becoming so commonplace, however breast implants in particular are a very extreme and brutal form of surgery.

They are nothing like a nose job or liposuction, which you get and recover from, and then it's done (provided you do not get an infection, a bad surgery, or suffer from any of the countless complications that are always a risk whenever you undergo ANY form of surgery). Breast implants involve inserting a foreign substance into your body which can rupture, leak, or even rot inside of you. The risks of complications go beyond the initial surgery and remain the entire time you have the implants inside.

Not only that, but even if you do NOT have any sort of complication from the implants, you will still need to have them replaced in 7-15 years, so you have to keep re-doing the surgery for the rest of your life.

I'm not a fan of breast implants and I guess I remain pretty skeptical about their use as a self-esteem boost, but I have heard of women who thought them over logically, decided it was something they really wanted, went for it, and loved it. Plus there's mastectomy victims out there who might really feel like this surgery is "needed" -- we know it's aesthetics but honestly I've spent my whole life with boobs, I'd probably want new ones if I lost them too. So I think there's at least a few valid reasons behind the choice to get implants.

I agree we need a society that accepts our aesthetic differences, but if someone doesn't want to be a martyr for that cause then I don't really want to force them to be.

vanillabones
July 21st, 2012, 09:52 AM
I'm just going to straight out say this - I want a boob job. Boom. Itty bitty titty committee over here!! I just want boobs someday guys *sigh*
I love the little sister's hair, I noticed right away. She looks so pretty, and she's 14 geez she has more boobs than I'll ever have already :D

Hollyfire3
July 21st, 2012, 10:07 AM

This is so very true, I too am saddended that so many people see this as a fix it for their problems. I have a friend who is beautiful (inside and out) but seems to think her breasts are too small (not any smaller than mine, she is just so insecure about it) and has considered undergoing sugery to get implants. She has not done so yet, but I fear she is going to, all because society will not excpet her as she is, this is so disgusting to me, that people truly believe they must change themselves to be "better" then they are born to be. I wish there was a way to make my friend feel good about herself and who she is naturally.

vanillabones
July 21st, 2012, 10:15 AM
I don't see anything wrong with being extremely small chested and actually wanting breasts. I don't see the issue in the desire to want breasts when one lacks ANY? I'm sorry I just don't see it :( and it almost offends me. There's nothing WRONG with my non existent breasts and there's nothing wrong with me wishing I will one day have some.

Hollyfire3
July 21st, 2012, 10:17 AM
I don't see anything wrong with being extremely small chested and actually wanting breasts. I don't see the issue in the desire to want breasts when one lacks ANY? I'm sorry I just don't see it :( and it almost offends me. There's nothing WRONG with my non existent breasts and there's nothing wrong with me wishing I will one day have some.

I too have small breasts. I have come to terms with it and except them as they are. I am not meaninf to offend and I truthfully don't see my post as offending. There's nothing wrong with wanting them, or wishing for them, it is wrong to feel that you have to change them in order to like yourself or to have good self esteem. I don't think they should be an option for feeling bad about yourself, that is all.

pepperminttea
July 21st, 2012, 10:24 AM
I too am saddended that so many people see this as a fix it for their problems.

I'm saddened so many people think their body is a problem.

vanillabones
July 21st, 2012, 10:25 AM
I do feel bad about myself, not because of my breasts, but that is an issue I struggle with daily. I am however thankful there there is such technology that if it ever means that much to me.. in the end, I can some day have breasts. Not necessarily for any one else but ME. And honestly I have never seen such bad augmented breasts as was posted in this thread on the story :/ ... well maybe I have seen worse but... not quite. There are many different methods especially in this decade that can look and feel very natural and small. Would a full A or even a B cup be too much to ask? :) I suppose so :( Ah.

Hollyfire3
July 21st, 2012, 10:50 AM

That too. I mean we are all (maybe not all, but most) insecure about one thing or another, it is when that insecurity causes us to hate ourselves or think we have a problem because of what we aren't that things get bad.

Aveyronnaise
July 21st, 2012, 11:12 AM
I do feel bad about myself, not because of my breasts, but that is an issue I struggle with daily. I am however thankful there there is such technology that if it ever means that much to me.. in the end, I can some day have breasts. Not necessarily for any one else but ME. And honestly I have never seen such bad augmented breasts as was posted in this thread on the story :/ ... well maybe I have seen worse but... not quite. There are many different methods especially in this decade that can look and feel very natural and small. Would a full A or even a B cup be too much to ask? :) I suppose so :( Ah.
Ha ha , I am usually a very small B but when I was nursing I went up to a DD cup , and honestly I was EXTREMELY happy to go back to the itty bitty club.
When they were big they got in the way and clothing was tricky to find and wear , everything looked like a sack because by the time something went around my sweater puppets it was huge . Mostly they just got in the way , I'm glad to go to try them out for a few years but i am happy to be back in tiny tittyville .

leslissocool
July 21st, 2012, 11:14 AM
Plastic surgery is a complex issue for me. I've always wanted a breast reduction but never got one because I didn't want to go under the knife, I had twins and now my stomach is so trashed I need a full TT with hernia repair, 300+ stitches to even see my belly button again :lol:. I know I have to get the hernias repaired, and the diastasis one too ( it's really severe over 4 inches) and the cost of that alone is 2 gran or less away from the TT, so logically I'd go for the extra "removal" of the skin (that covers my belly button and causes discomfort like chafing).

Do I need plastic surgery? Yes. I still have back problems and would like a breast reduction, but quite honestly I LOVE my big boobs.

Which brings me to being completely sympathetic to people who want them. It is a HUGE blow to the steem when you go buy clothing, and it look great EVERYWHERE but that area. I know what that feels like, because of the hernias I have a very hard time finding clothes that fit right. Some days that really makes me sad, or the thought that it's summer and I can't wear a swimsuit because I feel so self conscious, like EVERYTHING people will see is my stomach. So I can't help but to completely understand what it's like to want something, to work hard (I work for my body, no shortcuts here my butt is ALL heavy weight squats!) and not be able to get it unless you have the surgery.

I honestly wish people were more empathetic to those feelings. So you came to terms with post baby body, or lack of boobs? That's great, good for you. Some people really can't. Humans are different, some people can't get over stuff that happens in their childhood. Or come to terms with it.

All I can say is, the daughter's hair is gorgeous! And I am glad she is standing up for what she believes.

Ha ha , I am usually a very small B but when I was nursing I went up to a DD cup , and honestly I was EXTREMELY happy to go back to the itty bitty club.
When they were big they got in the way and clothing was tricky to find and wear , everything looked like a sack because by the time something went around my sweater puppets it was huge . Mostly they just got in the way , I'm glad to go to try them out for a few years but i am happy to be back in tiny tittyville .

JEALOUS!!!

My boobs stayed bigger after breast feeding :(. Last time I was this weight, I was a C cup. Sigh, how I long to be one right now...

Hollyfire3
July 21st, 2012, 11:18 AM
Plastic surgery is a complex issue for me. I've always wanted a breast reduction but never got one because I didn't want to go under the knife, I had twins and now my stomach is so trashed I need a full TT with hernia repair, 300+ stitches to even see my belly button again :lol:. I know I have to get the hernias repaired, and the diastasis one too ( it's really severe over 4 inches) and the cost of that alone is 2 gran or less away from the TT, so logically I'd go for the extra "removal" of the skin (that covers my belly button and causes discomfort like chafing).

Do I need plastic surgery? Yes. I still have back problems and would like a breast reduction, but quite honestly I LOVE my big boobs.

Which brings me to being completely sympathetic to people who want them. It is a HUGE blow to the steem when you go buy clothing, and it look great EVERYWHERE but that area. I know what that feels like, because of the hernias I have a very hard time finding clothes that fit right. Some days that really makes me sad, or the thought that it's summer and I can't wear a swimsuit because I feel so self conscious, like EVERYTHING people will see is my stomach. So I can't help but to completely understand what it's like to want something, to work hard (I work for my body, no shortcuts here my butt is ALL heavy weight squats!) and not be able to get it unless you have the surgery.

I honestly wish people were more empathetic to those feelings. So you came to terms with post baby body, or lack of boobs? That's great, good for you. Some people really can't. Humans are different, some people can't get over stuff that happens in their childhood. Or come to terms with it.

All I can say is, the daughter's hair is gorgeous! And I am glad she is standing up for what she believes.

As someone who has struggled with self esteem issues, it sounds as if you are downplaying me coming to terms with myself when you say "thats great, good for you". I only tell people to try an accept themselves as they are BECAUSE of my past issues (and my current ones). I have worked HARD to get where I am with my self esteem and it comes off as a cop out when someone says "well, not EVERYONE can come to terms with themseleves". I do not mean to offend, I just wish more people would like themselves.

Hollyfire3
July 21st, 2012, 11:19 AM
Sorry double post!

leslissocool
July 21st, 2012, 11:45 AM
As someone who has struggled with self esteem issues, it sounds as if you are downplaying me coming to terms with myself when you say "thats great, good for you". I only tell people to try an accept themselves as they are BECAUSE of my past issues (and my current ones). I have worked HARD to get where I am with my self esteem and it comes off as a cop out when someone says "well, not EVERYONE can come to terms with themseleves". I do not mean to offend, I just wish more people would like themselves.

I'm not downplaying your achievements, again good for you! And I don't mean that sarcastically. I was speaking from MY experiences as much as you are speaking from yours though. Some people can't get out of the abuse, or deal with the death of someone loved. I saw this with my own eyes, through my mother. She took years of therapy, worked SO HARD to overcome her past yet she still speaks of her husband (who sent her to the ER) like it was the only man who ever loved her. We have so many issues now that I am married, a stay at home mom, and have a wonderful husband. She can't deal with it, so we don't speak. I have what she wants and can't achieve. She told me my life was "so easy" and I could never understand her. Really? My life was a nightmare because of her... But she covets what I have, so she won't come see her only grandkids ( That are going through autism diagnosis and daily therapy) because she can't deal with me. She just can't accept it, isolates herself and is really depressed. And now she is letting my sister be the abuser (it's pretty bad, my sister tells my mom she is worthless daily and won't let her have a social life and my mother allows that).

Some people can't deal with it, and they become bitter, angry and depressed. I actually think you are belittling the magnitude of such emotions, they can be so overwhelming it affects your whole life. The fact that you were able to come to terms with it is actually quite amazing, and a display of strength and character.

I have a lot I still struggle with personally, but when it comes to self image I DID NOT accept my "post baby body". I worked HARD. Yet no matter how hard I work, the hernias are still there, the skin is still there, the separation is still there and I still am very jealous every time I see a girl on a bikini. If I could the stomach I want by working out, you BET I'd be doing the work. And you can't work your way into bigger boobs likewise.

firegypsy
July 21st, 2012, 11:52 AM
As someone who is naturally a 34H I have no idea why anyone would want to do that to themselves. I'm kind of in shock. What I would give to go back to a B cup-which is where I was pre-kids. I can't imagine ever getting "okay" with this. It's been 10 years and I still wish every day things were different.

I'm happy with my body in every other way. I hate how large my breasts are-there is nothing redeeming about it. The one cosmetic surgery I would ever consider getting is a breast reduction. And as someone who is very stable and self assured I feel that I should be allowed to say it. I don't feel like they make me ugly, I feel like I can't live my life with them.

It is NOT a cop out. It is something that can happen when your life has changed drastically. Coming to terms with oneself is an entirely separate issue, IMO to having to accept something that has changed so drastically. It's great if you can accept who you are. That's awesome. I can no longer work in my field because of how my body has changed. I'm fairly sure I'm allowed to feel upset about it.

holothuroidea
July 21st, 2012, 11:52 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with you wanting or obtaining larger breasts.

I think there is something wrong with a society that plants that seed, regardless of whether or not "society" is to blame for your own personal reasons for wanting them.

I feel like body modification is a personal choice and nobody should have an influence on decisions like that except the owner of that body.

However, I tend to draw the line of body modification at procedures that might compromise the function of useful organs purely for aesthetic purposes and breast implants certainly qualify for that distinction (unless they have already lost their function for medical reasons, of course).

Hollyfire3
July 21st, 2012, 11:58 AM
I'm not downplaying your achievements, again good for you! And I don't mean that sarcastically. I was speaking from MY experiences as much as you are speaking from yours though. Some people can't get out of the abuse, or deal with the death of someone loved. I saw this with my own eyes, through my mother. She took years of therapy, worked SO HARD to overcome her past yet she still speaks of her husband (who sent her to the ER) like it was the only man who ever loved her. We have so many issues now that I am married, a stay at home mom, and have a wonderful husband. She can't deal with it, so we don't speak. I have what she wants and can't achieve. She told me my life was "so easy" and I could never understand her. Really? My life was a nightmare because of her... But she covets what I have, so she won't come see her only grandkids ( That are going through autism) because she can't deal with me. She just can't accept it, isolates herself and is really depressed. And now she is letting my sister be the abuser (it's pretty bad, my sister tells my mom she is worthless daily and won't let her have a social life and my mother allows that).

Some people can't deal with it, and they become bitter, angry and depressed. I actually think you are belittling the magnitude of such emotions, they can be so overwhelming it affects your whole life. The fact that you were able to come to terms with it is actually quite amazing, and a display of strength and character.

I have a lot I still struggle with personally, but when it comes to self image I DID NOT accept my "post baby body". I worked HARD. Yet no matter how hard I work, the hernias are still there, the skin is still there, the separation is still there and I still am very jealous every time I see a girl on a bikini. If I could the stomach I want by working out, you BET I'd be doing the work. And you can't work your way into bigger boobs likewise.

Thank you for clarifying, I thought you were being sarcastic, hence the response. Gosh, I feel really bad for getting so defensive now...I do understand that some emotions over take people's lives, and they never get over it. To me personally (I have people such as this in my life) it can be very frusterating, its not that you want to scream "JUST GET OVER IT!" but you want to see them pull themselves back up and start living again, it never happens sometimes, sadly. I'm sorry about your mother and that you feel like you do about yourself, I have self esteem issues concerning how others see me and concerning how I am just not skilled socially, those are my issues and although I have gotten over some issues (small breasts, being short) I still have other issues, I hope one day that i learn to live with them, and this is all I wish for others too, to live with yourself, you may never truly love everything about you at every moment, but at least love you for who you are.

leslissocool
July 21st, 2012, 12:01 PM
It is NOT a cop out. It is something that can happen when your life has changed drastically. Coming to terms with oneself is an entirely separate issue, IMO to having to accept something that has changed so drastically. It's great if you can accept who you are. That's awesome. I can no longer work in my field because of how my body has changed. I'm fairly sure I'm allowed to feel upset about it.

I can't dance until I get the hernias and the separation repaired :( I LOVE ballet. I am honestly really broken up about it. I'm trying to get my husband to take be to dance salsa, but it's really not the same I don't like it nearly as much. There is so much I can't do with my body right now, I feel trapped sometimes. Not being able to do something you love take it's toll on... Well I'll get them fix eventually, and it will be TAKE ALL THE BALLET CLASSES! By that time my daughter will be dancing too hopefully :D.

heidi w.
July 21st, 2012, 12:02 PM
I think dailymail is a kind of questionable website. That's what I recall....

heidi w.

Hollyfire3
July 21st, 2012, 12:05 PM
As someone who is naturally a 34H I have no idea why anyone would want to do that to themselves. I'm kind of in shock. What I would give to go back to a B cup-which is where I was pre-kids. I can't imagine ever getting "okay" with this. It's been 10 years and I still wish every day things were different.

I'm happy with my body in every other way. I hate how large my breasts are-there is nothing redeeming about it. The one cosmetic surgery I would ever consider getting is a breast reduction. And as someone who is very stable and self assured I feel that I should be allowed to say it. I don't feel like they make me ugly, I feel like I can't live my life with them.

I am not talking about excepting yourself after a big change out of your control (for instance, my what i thought was permentatly straightened hair from flat ironing for years, that really messed up my whole year). I am saying that letting something such as not excepting how you were born destory every ounce of self esteem until you are able to fix it through cosmetic surgery. If I had a huge, body changing event occur, I may never except myself that way either, I would always be trying to get back what I had lost. But I hate change most of the time too.

leslissocool
July 21st, 2012, 12:14 PM
Thank you for clarifying, I thought you were being sarcastic, hence the response. Gosh, I feel really bad for getting so defensive now...I do understand that some emotions over take people's lives, and they never get over it. To me personally (I have people such as this in my life) it can be very frusterating, its not that you want to scream "JUST GET OVER IT!" but you want to see them pull themselves back up and start living again, it never happens sometimes, sadly. I'm sorry about your mother and that you feel like you do about yourself, I have self esteem issues concerning how others see me and concerning how I am just not skilled socially, those are my issues and although I have gotten over some issues (small breasts, being short) I still have other issues, I hope one day that i learn to live with them, and this is all I wish for others too, to live with yourself, you may never truly love everything about you at every moment, but at least love you for who you are.

No worries, it's hard to tell on the internet when someone is being sarcastic :blossom:.

Diamond.Eyes
July 21st, 2012, 12:22 PM
I have no problem with people getting plastic surgery or wearing whatever. It doesn't effect me directly so why should it bother me? I don't understand why people are so critical on strangers. It doesn't matter if I'm a fan of their look or not, if that's how they want to look, then so be it. I think it's really great that this young girl is more focused on her future rather than only focusing on her looks though. It's really great that she has realized some goals in life that she wants to accomplish, rather than just obsessing over plastic surgery. And whether her hair is her own or extensions, it looks natural to me and I'm definitely swooning over it. :flower:

Hollyfire3
July 21st, 2012, 12:30 PM
No worries, it's hard to tell on the internet when someone is being sarcastic :blossom:.

Thank you!:) It is hard to tell.

Amber_Maiden
July 21st, 2012, 12:36 PM
Pretty hair!

firegypsy
July 21st, 2012, 12:48 PM
I can't dance until I get the hernias and the separation repaired :( I LOVE ballet. I am honestly really broken up about it. I'm trying to get my husband to take be to dance salsa, but it's really not the same I don't like it nearly as much. There is so much I can't do with my body right now, I feel trapped sometimes. Not being able to do something you love take it's toll on... Well I'll get them fix eventually, and it will be TAKE ALL THE BALLET CLASSES! By that time my daughter will be dancing too hopefully :D.

I totally get it.

Helix
July 21st, 2012, 01:08 PM
*sigh* That is a beautiful head of...weave.

Her real hair stops at her shoulders, (it's straight). The rest are wavy extensions. Also if you look closely, there is a slight variation between the color of her hair and the pieces. She still looks more natural than the others though, I'll give her that...

arcane
July 21st, 2012, 04:11 PM
I'm kindof discouraged but not surprised by the body policing going on in this thread. Seriously it's none of our damn business why/what/how a person (male or female) does with their body. It doesn't matter if it's because they have retched self esteem or if they think they are Aphrodite themselves. What someone chooses to do with their body is, and always will be, their choice. We don't like when people are told to cut their hair. By saying it's sad that women choose to get implants is really saying it's not okay to get implants. From my quick glance at the article I would say that there is probably self esteem issues going on, but it's not my place to body police/shame them. Sure we all have opinions on what looks good, but to judge people for not looking 'natural' is just as bad as juding people for not looking media perfect. Each creates shame. /end feminist rant

Yes the younger daughter has beautiful hair, though it looks like extensions or a weave to me. And looking at the rest of the family I'm sure you'll find many people who love their hair as well.

firegypsy
July 21st, 2012, 04:19 PM
True.

For my part, I'm not shaming anyone. But having the bust they're aiming for naturally I think I am allowed to say I don't understanding wanting to have breasts this big on purpose. They do, that's fine. I just don't understand.

DreadfulWoman
July 21st, 2012, 04:20 PM
*sigh* That is a beautiful head of...weave.

Her real hair stops at her shoulders, (it's straight). The rest are wavy extensions. Also if you look closely, there is a slight variation between the color of her hair and the pieces. She still looks more natural than the others though, I'll give her that...

I get what you're saying, but I don't think they are extensions. I think that front bit is just some face-framing layers that happen to be styled a bit awkwardly.I did a google image search of her, and in other pictures her hair seems a lot more natural.

I'm not going to comment on the whole boob job thing, though. I'm a member of the itty bitty titty committee myself, but quite happily so. It's hard for me to imagine what it must be like to be that unhappy with one's own body, to want to alter it surgically. It wouldn't really be fair for me to judge someone for something I can't understand.

Ayjay
July 21st, 2012, 04:26 PM
I think dailymail is a kind of questionable website. That's what I recall....

heidi w.

*laugh* oh it is

arcane
July 21st, 2012, 04:34 PM
True.

For my part, I'm not shaming anyone. But having the bust they're aiming for naturally I think I am allowed to say I don't understanding wanting to have breasts this big on purpose. They do, that's fine. I just don't understand.

I also have a large bust that they are going for. I don't get it either, but for me it's to each their own. In my future I will be getting mine reduced (and lifted) which a lot of people don't understand. Grass is always greener.

firegypsy
July 21st, 2012, 04:38 PM
yes and no. having been a 32 B I was very happy there (if not feeling I was a little large for my tastes.) I never wanted bigger, but I got 'em anyway. :rolleyes:

shutterpillar
July 21st, 2012, 04:46 PM
I truthfully don't think anyone "needs" plastic surgery for their self esteem, some do it because they want to, but no matter how low someone's self esteem appears to be, plastic surgery is not "needed" it will not fix the internal conflict in the person for good. I think if people want to do this sort of thing, they should do as they wish, but no one needs to, I think everyone is naturally beautiful in their own way. Oh and the 14 year old's hair is beautiful, also, I applaud her from going against her family's practices, may she go far in life.

I was speaking more about people who get breast reductions because they are having medical problems due to having large breasts. Yes, I also included breast enhancement and such other things because I do know people who feel 100% more confident after they have had an enhancement. People who have always felt like they were born with the wrong body... and I suppose that may be how the women in this article feel, but I think it is a problem when you begin looking for things that you "need" to have done surgically. Like butt implants to lift your butt instead of just being healthy and doing squats or lunges.

I have personally never had any plastic surgery, and I never will. It is not for me. But I know a lot of people that are far happier (people who are not addicted to it) after they have had it done.

Mya
July 21st, 2012, 04:47 PM
Plastic surgery is not necessarily a wrong choice caused by particular self esteem issues. You want to get an education: does it mean you don't love yourself as you are? No, it just means you want to get better. The same goes with the looks. Plastic surgery is just one of the means of modernity that lets us live better. In my opinion, there is too much moral judgement over this subject.

There are still good reasons and bad reasons to choose plastic surgery. Laziness is exactly a bad reason! I'm talking about the girl who wants to get cheek implants. Plastic surgery is not meant as a substitute to workouts and it works best for healthy and fit people. Any honest plastic surgeon will tell you.
What you do to your body is a investment for the years to come. Your cheeks may look good now, but just think how they will look in a few years when your body starts to surrender to gravity and your implants will have no muscular support.

shutterpillar
July 21st, 2012, 04:50 PM
I'm not a fan of breast implants and I guess I remain pretty skeptical about their use as a self-esteem boost, but I have heard of women who thought them over logically, decided it was something they really wanted, went for it, and loved it. Plus there's mastectomy victims out there who might really feel like this surgery is "needed" -- we know it's aesthetics but honestly I've spent my whole life with boobs, I'd probably want new ones if I lost them too. So I think there's at least a few valid reasons behind the choice to get implants.

I agree we need a society that accepts our aesthetic differences, but if someone doesn't want to be a martyr for that cause then I don't really want to force them to be.

Yes. this is what I was trying to say, except more eloquently put.

arcane
July 21st, 2012, 05:11 PM
yes and no. having been a 32 B I was very happy there (if not feeling I was a little large for my tastes.) I never wanted bigger, but I got 'em anyway. :rolleyes:

I was a 36C from the time I developed breasts (at 10) until my early 20s. (I think I'm somewhere around a 34G or H depending on the bra right now) I was quite happy there (I was in proportion with my hips), but my breasts had other ideas. I've decided to wait on the reduction and lift until after I have children incase I decide to breastfeed. Only want to have to do the surgury once.

Jeno86
July 21st, 2012, 05:41 PM
I'm all for body modification and changing yourself to how you want to look but these women make my brain hurt.

Kyla
July 21st, 2012, 05:42 PM
I think a huge issue when it comes to discouraging others from surgically changing their bodies is that it often seems to imply any issues they may have aren't physical, but mental, and that their is something incredibly wrong with their mind. I would personally fond this even more insulting than if someone commented negatively on a physical feature. I don't encourage or like the idea of plastic surgery in these cases, but I think the reasons behind it are too complex for me to make a snap judgment or say without question that someone is wrong to do that to themselves.

Hair does look kind of fake, in my opinion, but still beautiful. Love those waves. :)

Helix
July 21st, 2012, 08:18 PM
I get what you're saying, but I don't think they are extensions. I think that front bit is just some face-framing layers that happen to be styled a bit awkwardly.I did a google image search of her, and in other pictures her hair seems a lot more natural.

I'm not going to comment on the whole boob job thing, though. I'm a member of the itty bitty titty committee myself, but quite happily so. It's hard for me to imagine what it must be like to be that unhappy with one's own body, to want to alter it surgically. It wouldn't really be fair for me to judge someone for something I can't understand.

Yeah, I'm not touching the boob job thing either and I don't judge people who get them. Personally, I think people should do what makes them happy as long as they're not hurting anyone. Moreover, I have nothing against augmenting your appearance - heck, I protective style with a wig occasionally, cosplay and even wear make-up sometimes. There is nothing wrong with wearing extensions either.

I don't want to go back and forth over whether or not she is wearing pieces or not because it's really not that serious. There probably are other pictures on google showing her with her real hair but in this particular pic I'm just not convinced and that's okay too.

When I said she looked 'more natural' I was referring to her overall appearance. She hasn't had any/as much work done, (no surprise there - she's 14. I think there are age limits for certain procedures), nor is she wearing as much make-up as the rest of her family members, so it goes without saying that she looks the most natural out of all of them. I do not think that one look is better than the other. I like variety; it makes the world a lot less dull.

Yame
July 21st, 2012, 08:37 PM

I totally understand getting implants if you had a mastectomy, although a lot of research needs to be done on this topic, as from what I've read, it appears that breast cancer survivors suffer from breast implant complications more often than healthy patients do.

I can also totally understand wanting or getting implants, even if not for reconstructive reasons. I never said it's a decision that should be shamed and I don't blame individuals for making these decisions. I just think it's sad that we live in a society that makes people feel bad about their bodies... about normal variations in the way their body looks.

Going under the knife, and furthermore putting something into your body permanently, is such a serious procedure. Even for necessary things like hip or knee joint implants, there are all sorts of resulting complications. Implants must be replaced every few years (7-15 years), and in the case of breast implants they can leak or rupture. And that so many women are willing to go through it is a testament to the societal pressure that drives women to make those decisions. As much as people say they are doing it for themselves, we do not live in a vacuum. The way we view ourselves and others, our preferences, everything, is influenced by the world we live in.

my2cats1
July 21st, 2012, 09:24 PM
Pretty long hair but I suspect it might not be real. The texture is different from top to bottom isn't it? Glad she isn't going to the surgery.

I think it could be real. My hair does the same thing when I don't have layers. It gets curly at the bottom, more straight near the roots. (I guess because of the weight?) Also, because of some sun damage, the ends of my hair are a full shade lighter than my roots.

Or maybe I just really, really want her hair to be real! :)

DreadfulWoman
July 21st, 2012, 11:43 PM
Yeah, I'm not touching the boob job thing either and I don't judge people who get them. Personally, I think people should do what makes them happy as long as they're not hurting anyone. Moreover, I have nothing against augmenting your appearance - heck, I protective style with a wig occasionally, cosplay and even wear make-up sometimes. There is nothing wrong with wearing extensions either.

I don't want to go back and forth over whether or not she is wearing pieces or not because it's really not that serious. There probably are other pictures on google showing her with her real hair but in this particular pic I'm just not convinced and that's okay too.

When I said she looked 'more natural' I was referring to her overall appearance. She hasn't had any/as much work done, (no surprise there - she's 14. I think there are age limits for certain procedures), nor is she wearing as much make-up as the rest of her family members, so it goes without saying that she looks the most natural out of all of them. I do not think that one look is better than the other. I like variety; it makes the world a lot less dull.

Totally agreed, on all points. I didn't mean to say that her hair looked better in other pics, just more natural in that it looked more like her own, and less stuck on. Style-wise, people can look as fake or real or whatever as they please. I don't much care one way or the other.

Generally I'm not one to try and figure out who has fake this or that. The only reason I even mention it is that if it is her real hair, and it's impressive enough that someone thought to link to it here, then she should get her due kudos. I'm not anti-extensions by any means, but I love seeing (real) long hair, and I guess all it really comes down to is that I would rather believe that it's her own and be kind of impressed than believe that it's extensions and be not so impressed. :o

SilverMcFly17
July 22nd, 2012, 12:07 AM
Implants must be replaced every few years (7-15 years), and in the case of breast implants they can leak or rupture. .

I am 3 weeks out of an augmentation myself. I asked the Dr. how long they last compared to others. I wanted to buy the one that held up better because I don't want to do this a lot. He said that implants now do not have to ever be replaced UNLESS they rupture. If a silicone ruptures you will know immediately and it's no big deal to have it replaced. If it is a gel it is harder to know because the only way you will know is through M.R.I. and they don't leak. They stay gelled together so it's up to the patient and the Dr on the subject of replacement.

TL; DR. Implants never have to be changed unless they get damaged.

Diamond.Eyes
July 22nd, 2012, 12:33 AM
What if the young girl just straightened pieces of her hair at the top? I don't understand how this turned into a pick-apart fest. Some people think it's sad that these ladies have implants and want to look the way they do, and I think it's sad that some people are so concerned with what other women are doing to their bodies. If someone can afford plastic surgery and it makes them happy, then how exactly does it hurt you? If they want to risk going under the knife that's their choice, not yours. If these women have self-esteem issues, then that's very sad, but how does anyone else have a right to tell them that they way they cope with these assumed issues is incorrect? :doh:

Why do women judge each other so harshly? :?

hairstuck
July 22nd, 2012, 12:40 AM
A family that vain is pretty sad. It's one thing to make yourself look good, but all having surgeries? Cosmetic surgery has more risk and lifelong implications.

The mother getting operated on too sets a bad example for the whole family. It's even sadder when someone has to do multiple drastic operations and changes to fit in to a family. Working out at the gym within reason, wearing tasteful and socially appropriate clothing and jewelery, not getting tons of tattoos and jewelry that make you not fit in to your peers, make-up within reason, and proper beauty care are normal-- an entire family feeling ugly and getting multiple operations is.... sad. That's not normal, nor healthy.

Fake tan like ooompa loompahs.

Bleach blond unhealthy hair.

The girl in the center at least looks normal and pretty. The others are icky, insecure, and sad.

I hope that 14 year old doesn't change-- and that her family matures and stops setting a bad example.

hairstuck
July 22nd, 2012, 12:45 AM

Yeah. That's the problem and sad thing here.

They have severe self-esteem issues, and are addicted to surgeries. It's not just one surgery each, it's multiple surgeries... which means more risk, but also more self-hating of their bodies. They didn't feel that the first surgery was good enough to "fix" their bodies, and keep doing it and keep doing it.

Nothing is more attractive than a well-groomed person that cares for themselves, dresses nice, and is confident. Fake boobs, orange tans, bleached teeth, butt implants, draw-on eyebrows, and the addition to surgery isn't pretty... at all. It's sad.

MonaMayfair
July 22nd, 2012, 02:45 AM
I'm not a fan of their look myself, but it's no-one else's business if people have cosmetic surgery, YOU don't have to pay for it.

I don't see anything wrong with changing your appearance if you feel like it, and can afford it. The technology is there, so why not?
I can never understand this dreary desire to be "natural" and to criticize anyone who doesn't want to be. Lots of people on here don't like their natural hair color and dye their hair - does that mean they have low self esteem, maybe they just prefer a different look?
What the hell is wrong with wanting to look hot?

I think it's wonderful that all those body and facial changes can be made if you want them. If I had something about myself that I hated and could be fixed, I'd be at the cosmetic surgeons office like a shot...

Catia
July 22nd, 2012, 07:12 AM
Lots of people on here don't like their natural hair color and dye their hair - does that mean they have low self esteem

Or wear makeup, or wear flattering clothes, or go to extreme lengths to make sure your hair is healthy and *gasp* looks nice. Or heck ... look in the mirror to check for hangerdinkles in your nose. Hangerdinkles are natural. It's so sad that people just can't accept their natural hangerdinkles and not bow down to societal pressure :(

If people want to be "sad" and rend their clothing over my choices thats ok. It's your life.

I'm sure lots of people think it's "sad" that I don't "style" my hair. What a poor backwards hick I am. Poor thing. Meanwhile I think my unstyled hair is the cat's meow. I have people that agree with me and some that don't. Some people will think my reconstructive surgery is sad, I don't.

Also - don't you think you'd feel sad if you suddenly had your nose or pinky finger or hair cut off? Of course. Wouldn't you feel happy is someone could magically give it back to you? Does that make the person standing in line for a new nose weak? No. Why begrudge happiness wherever a person can find it in this life.

:soapbox: Ok, I'm done now. I just think boobies are pretty :p

holothuroidea
July 22nd, 2012, 07:30 AM
What if the young girl just straightened pieces of her hair at the top? I don't understand how this turned into a pick-apart fest. Some people think it's sad that these ladies have implants and want to look the way they do, and I think it's sad that some people are so concerned with what other women are doing to their bodies. If someone can afford plastic surgery and it makes them happy, then how exactly does it hurt you? If they want to risk going under the knife that's their choice, not yours. If these women have self-esteem issues, then that's very sad, but how does anyone else have a right to tell them that they way they cope with these assumed issues is incorrect? :doh:

If it's not okay to police people's bodies, maybe it's not okay to police their feelings either. Just a thought.

SilverMcFly17
July 22nd, 2012, 07:53 AM
I wish I could "Like" a few of these posts. All the latest few about not policing peoples bodies and feelings and who cares what people do if it makes them happy.

I feel 100% better about myself since having my surgery. I had the "mommy special" which is a tummy tuck and a breast lift and augmentation. Maybe how I felt about me was in my head. But I have not gone to counselling and I must tell you how absolutely liberated I feel now that I can just put clothes on. I don't have to worry about hiding my baby belly or wearing certain garments to suck it in and hide it. Even my sex life has improved with my huge boost of confidence.

Who are we to tell anyone how they SHOULD feel. I've been told told for years how I should feel, that doesn't mean that I am going to magically accept the way I look if I don't like things.

SilverDoe
July 22nd, 2012, 07:54 AM
As someone who has had two breast augmentations done due to tuberous breast deformity at the age of 17, I have to deal with women on this on a regular basis.
I'm more "forgiven" because of my deformity once they find out, in the eyes of many it's more understandable if you have a deformity or corrective surgery after cancer. I find this sickening.

I had two tiny madonna cones as breasts, two bulbous large permanently puffy long nipples sat on extremely tight dense coney fibrous tissue, preventing my breasts from ever growing. Without any tissue on the bottom part.
I fixed it. I feel better, and I can wear all the clothes I couldn't wear before. I don't have to cry when trying on swimwear anymore knowing others will see the assymetry or deformity.
The problem was physical, not mental. I'm sure I could have spent years & thousands on therapy trying to ignore it, but why when I in this day & age can have the deformity corrected?

Most who do get breast augmentations aren't the women in the article, they are mothers with lost elasticity & breasts falling out of their bras, mourning their lost figure.
They are women with deformities & assymetries, or cancer survivors wanting their breasts back.

firegypsy
July 22nd, 2012, 07:56 AM
I was a 36C from the time I developed breasts (at 10) until my early 20s. (I think I'm somewhere around a 34G or H depending on the bra right now) I was quite happy there (I was in proportion with my hips), but my breasts had other ideas. I've decided to wait on the reduction and lift until after I have children incase I decide to breastfeed. Only want to have to do the surgury once.

good call. I was a 32B until I got pregnant. My youngest is 6. My breasts are not going back down. BUT I would highly recommend waiting until after having children for a reduction-you have a good head on your shoulders.

holothuroidea
July 22nd, 2012, 08:05 AM
I wish I could "Like" a few of these posts. All the latest few about not policing peoples bodies and feelings and who cares what people do if it makes them happy.

I feel 100% better about myself since having my surgery. I had the "mommy special" which is a tummy tuck and a breast lift and augmentation. Maybe how I felt about me was in my head. But I have not gone to counselling and I must tell you how absolutely liberated I feel now that I can just put clothes on. I don't have to worry about hiding my baby belly or wearing certain garments to suck it in and hide it. Even my sex life has improved with my huge boost of confidence.

Who are we to tell anyone how they SHOULD feel. I've been told told for years how I should feel, that doesn't mean that I am going to magically accept the way I look if I don't like things.

And apparently I'm being told that I SHOULDN'T feel sad about these surgeries but I do. I could give you and Diamond Eyes and Arcane and whoever else all the reasons *why* I feel this way, but I don't have to justify it to anyone. I don't expect you to justify your feelings or your decision to me, either.

I'm not going to police your body or your feelings and I'd appreciate the same respect in turn.

In any event, I am so glad that your surgery was successful and that you feel better now. :flower:

firegypsy
July 22nd, 2012, 08:07 AM
right on. :)

brave
July 22nd, 2012, 09:30 AM
I totally understand getting implants if you had a mastectomy, although a lot of research needs to be done on this topic, as from what I've read, it appears that breast cancer survivors suffer from breast implant complications more often than healthy patients do.

I can also totally understand wanting or getting implants, even if not for reconstructive reasons. I never said it's a decision that should be shamed and I don't blame individuals for making these decisions. I just think it's sad that we live in a society that makes people feel bad about their bodies... about normal variations in the way their body looks.

Going under the knife, and furthermore putting something into your body permanently, is such a serious procedure. Even for necessary things like hip or knee joint implants, there are all sorts of resulting complications. Implants must be replaced every few years (7-15 years), and in the case of breast implants they can leak or rupture. And that so many women are willing to go through it is a testament to the societal pressure that drives women to make those decisions. As much as people say they are doing it for themselves, we do not live in a vacuum. The way we view ourselves and others, our preferences, everything, is influenced by the world we live in.

I agree with you on that -- it does all contribute to the idea that there is a "good" way to look, and a "bad" way to look. It'd be nice if we as a species could get past this but it's been part of human culture forever and probably will be in various forms. It'd be wonderful if we could all stand up and say something really grand and awesome like "this is what I look like and there's nothing wrong with it!" but realistically I don't think that will happen and asking individuals not to do something they want to do because it affects our culture in the same way our culture shaped their decision seems unfair.

I thought this (http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2008/04/08/plastic-surgery-is-the-next-must-have-career-tool-maybe/) was an interesting post, although kind of a sad reminder. We're getting better at fixing our appearances rather than getting better at accepting them. I think most people would agree that getting better at accepting them would be ideal but somehow we're still moving the opposite way. No real point here, I guess I just find it interesting.

xoxophelia
July 22nd, 2012, 09:43 AM

Vanillabones, you are still too young I think to be wanting to jump on the surgery bandwagon. At 19, many women are still developing and don't have their full cup size until the age of 22 or so. I've known some who went from very small b's to triple DDDs during college without surgery and without becoming larger everywhere else (although slightly more feminine curves).

Do what you want in the end but I would wait a few more years before deciding.

PinkyCat
July 22nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
Just remember - breast implants are NOT PERMANENT. They need to be removed & replaced every 7 - 10 years. Once you go there, there's no going back. Even if you decide to take them out - there will be more skin. And if you decide to replace - you'll probably want to keep going up in size to keep the extra skin taut looking.

SilverDoe
July 22nd, 2012, 10:04 AM
Just remember - breast implants are NOT PERMANENT. They need to be removed & replaced every 7 - 10 years. Once you go there, there's no going back. Even if you decide to take them out - there will be more skin. And if you decide to replace - you'll probably want to keep going up in size to keep the extra skin taut looking.

Completely depends in genetics, elasticity, age & the size of the implants removed.
I've seen quite 30 & under who've removed their implants with great success.
If the connective tissue (coopers ligaments) is undamaged, and skin still has good elasticity, you can avoid too much loose tissue or saggyness, some completely.

Quite like those lucky bastards who end up with the same perky breasts after breastfeeding.
No, there is no need to remove/replace an implant unless there is a rupture. With the new silicone implants, we actually don't know how much longer they last.

PinkyCat
July 22nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
Completely depends in genetics, elasticity, age & the size of the implants removed.
I've seen quite 30 & under who've removed their implants with great success.
If the connective tissue (coopers ligaments) is undamaged, and skin still has good elasticity, you can avoid too much loose tissue or saggyness, some completely.

Quite like those lucky bastards who end up with the same perky breasts after breastfeeding.
No, there is no need to remove/replace an implant unless there is a rupture. With the new silicone implants, we actually don't know how much longer they last.

There is always a 50:50 chance. You will never know what your results will be regardless of how others have turned out. You still must be willing to live with the worst case scenario. That's just life.

faellen
July 22nd, 2012, 10:28 AM
Wow, quite a few disparaging comments on this thread made about the women in that article. And here I was thinking that we were generally an accepting, non-judgemental bunch at LHC.

pepperminttea
July 22nd, 2012, 10:45 AM
We're getting better at fixing our appearances rather than getting better at accepting them. I think most people would agree that getting better at accepting them would be ideal but somehow we're still moving the opposite way.

Agreed. I've no problem with people wanting to change their bodies of entirely of their own freewill; hey, why not, you only live once. :) My worry is more the feeling put upon them that they have to, in order to be 'allowed' to accept themselves and be accepted by others - and not all of that is conscious either. We're trained in these thoughts, constantly bombarded by reminders of all the 'problems' with our bodies and ways to 'fix' them for a fee. Of course there will be those who change their bodies purely for preference and those with health issues, but how many others have been worn away by the insidious and gnawing thought that if they just change themselves, their life will improve, and they will be loved. Just buy this mascara, just buy this weight loss plan, just get a boob job... And you too can be the happy smiling person in the after photo. How many people who you see waiting for a bus look anything like the person in the painstakingly arranged and heavily photo-shopped ad plastered on the bus stop?

Telling you to hate your body the way it is - and selling you the 'solutions' - makes the 'beauty' industry millions. That way of looking at yourself, and the people around you, is exactly what we're taught everyday. That is what bothers me.

Fethenwen
July 22nd, 2012, 11:06 AM

I'm not concerned what other women do to their bodies, I'm concerned about the way our society puts pressure on us women on how we are supposed to look = this implanted insecurity is one of the biggest devices of marketing used on the globe.
Think about it, what if there were no: commercials, fashion, malls, tv (especially make-over tv programs), magazines, movies that portray shallowness, shallow and sexist music videos etc. etc. Now, would we really care a damn about breast size then?

I think it's sad that people will have to want something they don't have, and go through risky and costly surgery in order to get it. Straightening ones hair isn't the same as surgery, wearing makeup or doing something to ones hair is not dangerous or extreme.

I'm very small chested by the way, not even a full A cup. But I happen to like it, I don't care what other people think about any aspects of my looks. Yes, I have had issues with bad self-esteem when I was younger and was ashamed of my body. Would I have given in and gotten myself a boob job back then... I really would have regretted it now so badly.

Of course there are individuals that feel that having bigger boobs is somehow important, and who wont regret the surgery. I understand that, but I want people to think about why they want certain things before getting them.

MonaMayfair
July 23rd, 2012, 06:05 AM
Wow, quite a few disparaging comments on this thread made about the women in that article. And here I was thinking that we were generally an accepting, non-judgemental bunch at LHC.

I find an awful lot of judgement on this forum, mostly saying that people should accept their hair or bodies the way they are. If people don't want to change anything about themselves, fair enough, but they should stop getting on the cases of people who do!
I like to see people, male and female who've made an effort to look good (even if it's not a look I'd go for myself)
I'm also a big fan of airbrushing in magazines, I don't want to look at someones spots or dark under eye circles.

gillybeanxo3921
July 23rd, 2012, 06:40 AM

Maybe those are braid waves. I know that when I braid my hair, the first couple inches come out straighter than the rest, and I like it like that. I also noticed that it looks like she rakes her fingers through her hair to push it back. I do that too, and it does seem to ruin the wave pattern a little and straighten that part of my hair out.

Either way, I think her hairs beautiful! :D

Diamond.Eyes
July 23rd, 2012, 07:32 AM
I'm not concerned what other women do to their bodies, I'm concerned about the way our society puts pressure on us women on how we are supposed to look = this implanted insecurity is one of the biggest devices of marketing used on the globe.
Think about it, what if there were no: commercials, fashion, malls, tv (especially make-over tv programs), magazines, movies that portray shallowness, shallow and sexist music videos etc. etc. Now, would we really care a damn about breast size then?

I think it's sad that people will have to want something they don't have, and go through risky and costly surgery in order to get it. Straightening ones hair isn't the same as surgery, wearing makeup or doing something to ones hair is not dangerous or extreme.

I'm very small chested by the way, not even a full A cup. But I happen to like it, I don't care what other people think about any aspects of my looks. Yes, I have had issues with bad self-esteem when I was younger and was ashamed of my body. Would I have given in and gotten myself a boob job back then... I really would have regretted it now so badly.

Of course there are individuals that feel that having bigger boobs is somehow important, and who wont regret the surgery. I understand that, but I want people to think about why they want certain things before getting them.
I never said straightening ones hair was bad. People were trying to say this girls hair looked fake and I was offering my opinion on why I thought the top looked different from the bottom. I also never said I was a fan of their look. I simply said, who are we to say they have mental problems or that they are bad people? We don't know them. And I think if the media was gone, women would still compete with each other with their looks. If a woman with naturally large breasts was getting attention because of her breasts, I'm sure a small-chested woman would feel inadequate because of it. It isn't just the medias fault. It's our personal choice to listen to the media or take it with a grain of salt. I think women are too quick to blame the media on warped body image when other judgemental women can contribute more to the problem. I just think women are naturally programmed to compare themselves to others without the help of the media.

If it's not okay to police people's bodies, maybe it's not okay to police their feelings either. Just a thought.

Because "policing" peoples bodies is wrong. Who are we to say these women are bad or inadequate because they bleach their hair and have implants? I thought this site was supposed to be friendly. Imagine how women with bleached hair and breast implants would feel after reading all of the comments in this thread. That's why I feel the need to say something. It isn't right to put people down for having cosmetic surgery or enhancing themselves in some way. It doesn't matter if I agree with cosmetic surgery or not, It's their choice and it isn't hurting anyone.

Anywhere
July 23rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
:soapbox: I don't get why body modification in the form of plastic surgery is so horrid and taboo, how it means they "don't have a good head on their shoulders" or whatever. How is it any different than getting tattoos, or piercings, or dyeing or styling one's hair? or even wearing makeup? all of it is changing the way you look somehow.

Obviously they like how they look, and that's all that matters. I don't like how say, Catman looks, but hey. I'm not going to choose that look for myself. He probably wouldn't like how I look, but hey. He's not going to choose my look for himself either.

Heck, even braces are basically a body modification. Modifying the alignment of the teeth.\ I had braces, does that mean I'm insecure and don't have a good head on my shoulders, and that I'm going to be a terrible role model for my potentially someday future children? :shrug:

I agree, the youngest one does have lovely hair though.

holothuroidea
July 23rd, 2012, 08:28 PM
I think I said it before, but the possibility of permanently altering the function of otherwise healthy organs for the sake of aesthetics crosses a line for me. You don't run the risk of loosing the function of your skin when you get a tattoo, or your nose/ear/whateverothercartilage if you pierce it. There is something viscerally disturbing to me to choose form over function when it comes to the body that someone lives in, and at great risk too. These procedures are invasive surgeries, that carry all the same risks from infection and anesthesia as other surgeries.

I'll defend people's rights to plastic surgery and boob jobs until my dying day. Fortunately, I don't really have to as people are free to make those choices in our country. However, that doesn't mean I think it's a good idea or that I'm personally okay with it. Because I don't and I'm not.

salamander
July 23rd, 2012, 09:58 PM
:soapbox: I don't get why body modification in the form of plastic surgery is so horrid and taboo, how it means they "don't have a good head on their shoulders" or whatever. How is it any different than getting tattoos, or piercings, or dyeing or styling one's hair? or even wearing makeup? all of it is changing the way you look somehow.

The difference between plastic surgery and wearing makeup is that surgery is inherently risky; people die in surgery, even relatively safe cosmetic surgeries. Being happy with the way you look is important, but finding a way to do it without so much risk to your health is definitely preferable!

long&blonde
July 23rd, 2012, 10:14 PM
I agree with to each their own. I totally support all person's decisions to get tatoos, piercings or plastic surgery. But I too despise societal pressure put onto women to look a certain,unatural way, in order to qualify as sexually pleasing and attractive. A man grows older, grey hair is sexy and distinguished, so are the extra pounds, 240 pounds on a man is just a brawny man, should play football, ha ha, while women? Society enforces women to dieting, plucking, dying, styling, altering, all forms of discomfort to meet an unrealistic ideal. I've Always felt that a couple's sex life:to be hot? The responsibility is totally on the womans shoulders,to pluck,prune,sacrifice what she wants to eat(while Cooking),and wear stilettos and incredibly expensive hose that run if you look at them,while doing it. But I feel if someone wants plastic surgery, its sad our world can so influence this desire, but,to each their own.

Hollyfire3
July 23rd, 2012, 11:09 PM
I think I said it before, but the possibility of permanently altering the function of otherwise healthy organs for the sake of aesthetics crosses a line for me. You don't run the risk of loosing the function of your skin when you get a tattoo, or your nose/ear/whateverothercartilage if you pierce it. There is something viscerally disturbing to me to choose form over function when it comes to the body that someone lives in, and at great risk too. These procedures are invasive surgeries, that carry all the same risks from infection and anesthesia as other surgeries.

I'll defend people's rights to plastic surgery and boob jobs until my dying day. Fortunately, I don't really have to as people are free to make those choices in our country. However, that doesn't mean I think it's a good idea or that I'm personally okay with it. Because I don't and I'm not.

This, true. I think people should be free to have this done if they choose, but I am not okay with it personally.

Hollyfire3
July 23rd, 2012, 11:11 PM
I agree with to each their own. I totally support all person's decisions to get tatoos, piercings or plastic surgery. But I too despise societal pressure put onto women to look a certain,unatural way, in order to qualify as sexually pleasing and attractive. A man grows older, grey hair is sexy and distinguished, so are the extra pounds, 240 pounds on a man is just a brawny man, should play football, ha ha, while women? Society enforces women to dieting, plucking, dying, styling, altering, all forms of discomfort to meet an unrealistic ideal. I've Always felt that a couple's sex life:to be hot? The responsibility is totally on the womans shoulders,to pluck,prune,sacrifice what she wants to eat(while Cooking),and wear stilettos and incredibly expensive hose that run if you look at them,while doing it. But I feel if someone wants plastic surgery, its sad our world can so influence this desire, but,to each their own.

This is also the truth, it makes me sad as well.

koala
July 24th, 2012, 12:01 AM
I'm absolutely disgusted by some of the replies to this thread. I can't even write a civil response to all of this. The amount of judgment, lack of understanding, and the pathetically bad excuses for it is just astounding.

SilverMcFly17
July 24th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Thank you Koala I agree. It's not anyone's body but your own to make a choice about. I feel like this thread is starting to tread into women's rights and what we can /should do with our bodies. It's mine and I make the decisions. What does my bra size or hair color or tattoos or my 14 piercings have to do with any one else? Not a thing. So long as I feel good about myself when I walk out the door in the morning that's what matters.

piffyanne
July 24th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Or wear makeup, or wear flattering clothes, or go to extreme lengths to make sure your hair is healthy and *gasp* looks nice. Or heck ... look in the mirror to check for hangerdinkles in your nose. Hangerdinkles are natural. It's so sad that people just can't accept their natural hangerdinkles and not bow down to societal pressure :(
>snip<
At the risk of sidetracking the thread (and I think some of us might benefit from the time to cool off, it's getting a little hot in here :p), I've got a burning question: What on EARTH are hangerdinkles? They have an adorable name, and I'm super curious. Are they nosehairs, drippy bits, or something else?:D Inquiring minds must know!!

Also, if Britney (the younger girl) is reading this thread, you're beautiful just the way you are, and if you want to change yourself in the future, make sure it's for you and not because you feel expected to.

Your hair is lovely, and it looks gorgeous on you!:thumbsup:

Ladies and gents, we sometimes forget that people read this thread that we don't know are reading it. Who knows? She might be an avid lurker on here. It'd be awful if she ended up feeling attacked, or as if people are making fun of her family, wouldn't it?

:cheese:The Mane Forum is public, I'm not going to ask you to censor, but to remain kind the way you say it. Also, in case you can't read my tone of voice here, I'm being as nice as possible, do not take insult, none was meant.:gobblecheese:

Ok, I think I might have used enough smilies. Maybe I'll squeeze another one in here: :run:

Catia
July 24th, 2012, 04:46 AM
At the risk of sidetracking the thread (and I think some of us might benefit from the time to cool off, it's getting a little hot in here :p), I've got a burning question: What on EARTH are hangerdinkles? They have an adorable name, and I'm super curious. Are they nosehairs, drippy bits, or something else?:D Inquiring minds must know!!

Hangerdinkles can be all of the above, most commonly dried snot hanging on in a most tenacious and obvious manner outside it's nose home. It prefers to make starring appearances during job interviews and sexy talk. Hangerdinkles are by nature very curious creatures :wacko:

brave
July 24th, 2012, 06:51 AM

This is a good way of putting it!

It doesn't matter if I agree with cosmetic surgery or not, It's their choice and it isn't hurting anyone.
I think the problem is that not everyone agrees it's not hurting anyone else. There's an argument that can be made for the fact that their choice influences what we think of as "normal" and how we deal with what doesn't fit inside that. I'm not explaining it very well, but basically there's a school of thought that says "by getting breast implants, you're furthering the message that small breasts are undesirable" -- which can be a hurtful message. Personally, I'm not sure it does much extra harm because our culture is already chock-full of those messages and would be regardless of whether or not one more person got breast implants.