PDA

View Full Version : Help! Over oiled my hair!

somethingducky
July 21st, 2012, 12:46 AM
Alright ladies I made the mistake of trying a new oiling routine right before a big event this Saturday evening. Long story short my tailbone length hair now seems saturated with coconut oil despite a round or two of shampoo-ing and I need to figure out how to wash it out come morning.

I'm a touch limited in the shampoo supply dept. I have a bottle of Queen Helene Mint Julep shampoo, some assorted Toadstool shampoo and condish, and an old bottle of Dove's Daily Moisture Therapy shampoo and possibly some suave stuff from my parent's bathroom. Other household supplies include Dr. Bronner's Castile, baking soda, Dawn dish soap, cornstarch and white or apple cider vinegar.

Please advise!

Bene
July 21st, 2012, 12:51 AM
I'd go with ol' faithful- a baking soda wash. I don't know how tough your hair is though.

You could try slathering it in conditioner, letting it sit for an hour or two, then a good rinse.

sweetestpoison
July 21st, 2012, 12:56 AM
no matter how heavy i oil my hair with coconut, it comes out when i wash the scalp and condition the length letting the conditioner sit for around 5 minutes. If all else fails, when you have somewhere to be but your hair looks oily you can always put cornstarch or baby powder on it to soak up some of the oil & make it appear far less oily. It's saved me a few times ;)

Tisiloves
July 21st, 2012, 12:57 AM
+1 on CO washing it out, baking soda can be a bit brutal, I oil the hell out of mine and conditioner always gets it out. (The key is to let it sit and rinse really well).

eternallyverdan
July 21st, 2012, 12:58 AM
I'd vote for a thorough, scalp-massaging CO wash with the lightest conditioner that you have, possibly followed with a regular shampoo if you don't feel that CO removes enough gunk for you.

auburntressed
July 21st, 2012, 01:01 AM
If you've already washed your hair a couple times, and you have time to wash again in the morning - I'd let your hair sit for the rest of the night, just soaking up the oil. Then wash again in the morning - lather, rinse, repeat. And really, REALLY get a good lather going with whatever you use.

SilverMcFly17
July 21st, 2012, 01:14 AM
A good soaking conditioning gets sticky castor oil out of my hair. Sometimes I condition twice. Just be sure to rinse. When you think you've rinsed enough run your hands through your hair while under water singing the ABC's. Should be just fine. I've over oiled more times than I care to count. I just get so carried away with it. Good luck.

catamonica
July 21st, 2012, 01:14 AM
I would just wash it twice or more. I use olive oil. I use a spray bottle with 2 capfuls of oil & the rest water. I spray it on. Just enough. For 4 minutes. Then shampoo. I can feel the difference. My hairs softer. So maybe you can get a empty spray bottle. Put coconut oil & water in it. That might help.

s_tresses
July 21st, 2012, 01:25 AM
I would say a CWC, heavy on the conditioner the first time and let it sit on your hair both times. Dilute your shampoo with water so that it is spread throughout the hair.

Don't get worked up about it and don't wash it too vigorously with too much shampoo, it usually makes mine too dry and brittle so it won't be easy to work with to style for the event.

furnival
July 21st, 2012, 01:46 AM
I always find conditioner is the best way to remove oil- if you think sbout it, conditioner is an oily substance which mixes with the oil on your hair and rinses out with it, rather than trying to emulsify it like shampoo. A few repeated COs have saved me from various over-oiling disasters. :)

sweetestpoison
July 21st, 2012, 09:23 AM
Glad i'm not the only one that finds conditioner to be the best at removing oil, i thought others would think i was nuts if i told them XD All conditioners have a small amount of cleansing power behind them that a lot of people don't know about because they just rinse the conditioner out almost immediately after putting it on. It's so good that i don't even shampoo the length of my hair when i get hair spray or anything in it, i just let the conditioner sit whilst i do my other things in the shower, rinse out & boom. Clean, well hydrated, soft hair :)

Loviatar
July 21st, 2012, 09:27 AM
I also find oiling easier to remove with a good long CO. A watery conditioner rather than a creamy one works best for me. I over-oiled this week too, and I still don't feel 'clean hair'ed. I feel your pain!

Baking soda can be rough - I get velcro hair from it. I'd follow with a good moisture pack if you decide to go the BS route.

PolarCathy
July 21st, 2012, 09:33 AM
I feel your pain... :grouphug: and unfortunately can't say that CO removes it for everybody. I'm in the same situation right now, except for that I don't need to go anywhere. I can (regularly) pull off two tablespoons of castor oil on me but not one f*** tablespoon of VCO. Coconut oil is the most horrendous oil I've ever used and this was the last time I touched this substance. I used about 1 tablespoon on my roots yesterday, before bed. Horrrriiiible. Couldn't remove it yet.
If I had to advise, I'd also rec CO even though it does NOT work for me. Not with coconut oil.

spidermom
July 21st, 2012, 09:38 AM
Another vote for the conditioner; let it soak for at least 30 minutes.

But I can tell you that Dawn dishwashing liquid will get it out for sure. I once used it to remove Vaseline from my hair.

gracenotes
July 21st, 2012, 09:57 AM
Conditioner will get oil out really easily. Slather your whole head in a really light conditioner, massage it into your scalp, leave it to soak in for a while, and rinse out.

afu
July 21st, 2012, 10:04 AM
Another vote for CO here - apply it to the dry, oiled hair, let it sit for a while. Lather is up when in the shower, do other showery things, rinse out

ravenreed
July 21st, 2012, 10:04 AM
I agree. CO is the best method I have found for removing oil without over-stripping my hair.

I always find conditioner is the best way to remove oil- if you think sbout it, conditioner is an oily substance which mixes with the oil on your hair and rinses out with it, rather than trying to emulsify it like shampoo. A few repeated COs have saved me from various over-oiling disasters. :)

somethingducky
July 21st, 2012, 10:18 AM
Now sitting with about 1/4 bottle of Suave Almond and Shea condish worked through my hair in a top knot bun. My plan is to let this sit through breakfast than head to the shower with some Dawn Dish-soap as my just in case backup. I don't think I 'll need it I could already feel the conditioner bonding with the oil. I'll let everyone know what worked when I'm done.